Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Animations and AFoW Offical Feedback Thread

Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone!  We put out a hotfix about an hour ago to fix the "blurred frame" or "jittering" issue people have reported. I've updated the top-level post and Known Issues list. March 4 Hotfix: Animations no longer have a "blurred frame"  - When the Animations and AFoW changes went out, there were several Known Issues to be fixed, and one of the top ones was an issue in which animations would have one blurry frame. This was caused by the low-resolution preview frame being loaded in the animation. New animations will no longer have the single low-res frame (unless you made one, of course). If you have uploaded animations and experienced this issue, you'll need to re-upload your animations to fix them. Animations purchased in the marketplace will be fixed soon; if you've dragged an animation from the marketplace into your game, you will need to re-add it to the game after they are fixed.

Edited 1551817400
Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not really sure that that was the most pressing of the known issues.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Drew. Thanks for your feedback. This was the most pressing of the known issues in Animations, considering it impacted indie Marketplace creators and the longer it was left unfixed, the more people would have to re-upload more files. The AFoW and Dynamic Lighting issues are being worked on by a different developer; the Dev team works on more than one issue at a time. Drew.E said: Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not really sure that that was the most pressing of the known issues.
Okay, well could we get an update on the AFoW and DL issues then? Where is the other developer at in the process? What is the timeline for completion? What portion of our subscription fees are going to be refunded based on the absence of dynamic lighting? I can't help but feel that after a month some of these questions should have answers.
"This was the most pressing of the known issues in Animations" Pretty sure the Dynamic Lighting and such I pay for are more pressing. Thanks. Stop ignoring me and tell me why it is a month later and they still haven't fixed these issues or rolled it back. This is a severe level of incompetence that is becoming unacceptable.
Our apologies on delayed fixes here, and the lacking explanation.  The Dynamic Lighting issue (gaps, acute angles, .5 grid scale) was not fully game-breaking for most use cases and we struggled to reproduce it initially. As such the decision was made to tackle the Animations issue (blurred frames) because that issue would in essence "snowball"-- the more people that uploaded animations, the more work they would have to undo in the future with a completely new upload. This was not an enjoyable choice to make, but with specialized and limited developer resources in this area, we did the best with what we could. This has not been ideal. As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. In the meanwhile, we continue to work diligently towards the resolution of the Dynamic Lighting fix, and additionally towards an overhaul of our refactoring for all such rendering.
Nolan T. J. said: Our apologies on delayed fixes here, and the lacking explanation.  The Dynamic Lighting issue (gaps, acute angles, .5 grid scale) was not fully game-breaking for most use cases and we struggled to reproduce it initially. As such the decision was made to tackle the Animations issue (blurred frames) because that issue would in essence "snowball"-- the more people that uploaded animations, the more work they would have to undo in the future with a completely new upload. This was not an enjoyable choice to make, but with specialized and limited developer resources in this area, we did the best with what we could. This has not been ideal. As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. In the meanwhile, we continue to work diligently towards the resolution of the Dynamic Lighting fix, and additionally towards an overhaul of our refactoring for all such rendering. From the looks of it, it seems like animations were the priority fix because money could be made from selling animated packs on the marketplace rather than fixing the issues on items already sold, such as the modules and broken dynamic lighting. The way this issue has been dealt with has me looking towards other virtual tabletops now. What's the point of spending $10 a month if the features I wanted haven't even been usable for the last month.
Botley said: Nolan T. J. said: Our apologies on delayed fixes here, and the lacking explanation.  The Dynamic Lighting issue (gaps, acute angles, .5 grid scale) was not fully game-breaking for most use cases and we struggled to reproduce it initially. As such the decision was made to tackle the Animations issue (blurred frames) because that issue would in essence "snowball"-- the more people that uploaded animations, the more work they would have to undo in the future with a completely new upload. This was not an enjoyable choice to make, but with specialized and limited developer resources in this area, we did the best with what we could. This has not been ideal. As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. In the meanwhile, we continue to work diligently towards the resolution of the Dynamic Lighting fix, and additionally towards an overhaul of our refactoring for all such rendering. From the looks of it, it seems like animations were the priority fix because money could be made from selling animated packs on the marketplace rather than fixing the issues on items already sold, such as the modules and broken dynamic lighting. The way this issue has been dealt with has me looking towards other virtual tabletops now. What's the point of spending $10 a month if the features I wanted haven't even been usable for the last month. "From the looks of it, it seems like animations were the priority fix because money could be made from selling animated packs on the marketplace rather than fixing the issues on items already sold, such as the modules and broken dynamic lighting."  DING DING DING. We have a winner.
Now they have taken to deleting my comments for being critical of their handling of this situation. That is ridiculous. I said it once, I'll say it again. Nolan that was the biggest nonsense nonanswer I have ever read and it is unacceptable. 

Edited 1551848626
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There's being critical, and then there's being in violation of the CoC. You can be critical without being abusive or insulting. I too am upset by the lack of progress in fixing some of the bugs introduced in the January upgrade, and hoped that some of them could have been addressed as aggressively as the three hotfixes in the first week. But resorting to personal attacks is not acceptable on the forum. In fact, ad hominem attacks are not acceptable anywhere.
You mean the CoC that was updated after the Reddit debacle as a way of covering that incident up, which we were forced to accept?  I'm far from being abusive. No part of my censored message was abusive. It simply pointed out a fact that they don't like having out in the light about the boss man. But of course you'll side with them, "Forum Champion". 
I really dont understand your problem Phil. You are just dosing fuel to the fire and are just bringing negative energy. You can get a refund and find another VTT. Yes the problem have been for a month, yes is really annoying, yes roll20 has not been that good at customer service but I don’t see why are you whining that much. Just take your stuff and pack up. End of trouble

Edited 1551881182
Danny C. said: I really dont understand your problem Phil. [...]  Yes the problem have been for a month, yes is really annoying, yes roll20 has not been that good at customer service but I don’t see why are you whining that much. You answered your own question there. It's perfectly reasonable for people to be upset about a major performance issue for one of roll20's major selling points that has been ongoing for over five weeks with very little-to-no communication from staff about solving it.
Wait so which is it? Did resources get taken from fixing the core problems with the scale and AFoW and moved to solve the less glaring blurry animations or are there two separate teams working simultaneously on the different issues? We are now getting conflicting reports. We would like to know if these near game breaking issues with a paid feature, dynamic lighting and AFoW, has been worked on at all in the last 5 weeks?
"Yes the problem have been for a month, yes is really annoying, yes roll20 has not been that good at customer service but I don’t see why are you whining that much." ...is this parody? "Here are three reasons for you to be complaining. Why are you complaining?" Like, wuh?

Edited 1551900171
Ravenknight
KS Backer
I can certainly understand the frustration expressed in this thread and even if I find the animations awesome and don't use AFoW I would suggest a rollback of the malfunctional update and wait until things is working as intended. Why was this even rushed in the first place? This problems must have been reported during the testing-period.
@Raven and other asking for rollback: I don't understand at when and what  you would like to rollback. I have quite the evidence that AFoW leakages exists since September 2018...
Alessandro V. said: @Raven and other asking for rollback: I don't understand at when and what  you would like to rollback. I have quite the evidence that AFoW leakages exists since September 2018... I mean whatever evidence you have, the majority of these reported issues and breaks, beyond just the AFoW leaks you are talking about, started with the tactical map and animations updates, and the reports of issues started coming not even an hour after each update separately went live. I don't understand what part of that you don't understand when we are talking about a rollback? Those updates should have been rolled back for further testing the moment all the reports started to come in.  Admittedly now it may be too late for them to roll back, given I don't know how they handle their database, but it may be done in such a way that rolling back would also rollback player data. Which is all the more reason why they should have rolled back IMMEDIATELY the moment all the reports started coming in.  Sure, maybe whatever leakage you are talking about specifically is a separate issue from the updates and wouldn't be fixed by a rollback, but the majority of the other issues would be. 
Alessandro V. said: @Raven and other asking for rollback: I don't understand at when and what  you would like to rollback. I have quite the evidence that AFoW leakages exists since September 2018... ...I got ninjad by Phil.
Ok Phil, I missed it, sorry. Got lost in the thread :)

Edited 1551902206
Hah, were you writing out an explanation too Raven?
Phil said: Hah, were you writing out an explanation too Raven? Yea.. ;)
But when? You apologize for a lack of explanation but then don't provide an explanation. What I want to know is when DL and AFoW will be working again. I'm not how my players being able to see through walls doesn't seem like a game breaking issue. However now that you are aware that it is what is the time line on a fix? I don't want my subscription canceled, I would like the month that the AFoW and DL has been broken to be comped. Is your support team allowed to process such a request? Nolan T. J. said: Our apologies on delayed fixes here, and the lacking explanation.  The Dynamic Lighting issue (gaps, acute angles, .5 grid scale) was not fully game-breaking for most use cases and we struggled to reproduce it initially. As such the decision was made to tackle the Animations issue (blurred frames) because that issue would in essence "snowball"-- the more people that uploaded animations, the more work they would have to undo in the future with a completely new upload. This was not an enjoyable choice to make, but with specialized and limited developer resources in this area, we did the best with what we could. This has not been ideal. As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. In the meanwhile, we continue to work diligently towards the resolution of the Dynamic Lighting fix, and additionally towards an overhaul of our refactoring for all such rendering.
Roll20 Staff: *Cricket noises*
I need the token bars re-aligned to what they were.  That would be my suggested focus, arguably after AFOW and DL.
Hey guys, so basicaly i'm trying to setup my map with Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War. I'm already aware that the acute angle, corner thing with DL was reported, but i have an issue with the AFoW : i've put a monster in a room, my player walk in, see the monster, then walk out and turn the corner. All my DL lines are fine , so the monster's token is not in the line of sight of my player in any way. B UT, the monster's token doesn't fade out of my player view as it's suppose to , like in the video:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ</a> . And I discovered that it works on a small map , but not on a large one (25x25 units compared to 126x165 units). Settings are the same for the two pages, so is it just because of the size of the map? The small map (DM's view on the left side, Player's view on the right) The large map (DM's view on the left side, Player's view on the right) Monster's setting (Large map on left, small on right) PC's setting (Large map on left, small on right) Am I the only one?? Thanks!
Hey I'm having issues adding animations to the canvas, specifically a 4.88mb .mp4 file. Although they appear under the assets menu, dragging them to the canvas doesnt add anything. See the screenshot below for the console log.
The problem isn't just that Dynamic Lighting and Advanced FoW do not work correctly. The problem is that normal FoW ALSO does not work correctly, as the hidden areas add up every time you draw on top of an existing one. A lot of issues came together the last months and I know that Fanburst shutting down wasn't your fault but it is getting a bit out of hand right now....
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Good morning, all. We continue working diligently on the issues brought up this thread, specifically Grid Scale lighting and the corner light leakage. In addition to those specifics, please know that we're sorry for any negative experiences this update caused with your games. We are working from this process to increase the consistency and quality of future updates. We have found the underlying cause of the Grid Scale lighting issues, and are coding a hot fix that will be deployed as soon as it completes testing. Corner light leakage will immediately follow. Specific requests about your subscription should be emailed to team at roll20 dot net. This thread will continue to receive regular updates until the issues are resolved. We appreciate those who continue to help us troubleshoot.
Faeriedae said: Faeriedae said: Faeriedae said: Faeriedae said: Faeriedae said: Hey so every since the most recent update trying to use AFOW completely lags me and my players games. We all have computers capable of running modern video games so this is pretty confusing. It might just be because the maps were playing on are too large however we played on the same maps without a problem before the update. Would love to know if there's any way to fix it. Edit: Ok, I know CTRL+L being busted is mentioned in the known bugs but i've just realized it seems sometimes when I switch between maps the blotted out parts of the previous map seem to show up when I use CTRL+L. So that's weird. Edit 2: Ok so I think my game is just completely broken because I've set a map to have dynamic lighting and no global illumination yet when I join as a player with a token that shouldn't be able to see anything I can still see pretty much everything except a small portion of the map that AFOW is kind of working on. I uploaded some videos of some the issues: <a href="https://youtu.be/jQItTV7IalU" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/jQItTV7IalU</a> <a href="https://youtu.be/WxDBKMA7S8c" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/WxDBKMA7S8c</a> I'd really appreciate some help. Well about a week since my original post and not much has changed however I've done some testing and figured out that the lag we experience is directly tied to the AFOW view distance(Or Light Emitted if there is no view distance.) . About anything 15 inches or higher is pretty much unplayable. I've also uploaded a video of this issue:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otw9oQbCR8Y" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otw9oQbCR8Y</a> &nbsp; Some help or insight would be greatly appreciated.&nbsp; Please. I figured it might be the known issue about how "unforgiving of overlap" the current build is. So I made a version of one my maps without ANY overlapping shapes on the dynamic lighting layer. However I wasn't exactly sure of what defined "overlap" in this context so i made sure no shapes were even touching each other, as you can see in my video uploaded here:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jlWhgzM_XQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jlWhgzM_XQ</a> The issue persisted.&nbsp; Please respond. Please. I am begging you. About a month since my original post I have still received absolutely no help and the issue has persisted. In further bug testing I've done I figured out the issue seems to be unique to my game "Spitfire Spades" as when I recreated a map of the same large size in a new game the lag wasn't present. I figured this might be the case because I believe we were actually in the middle of playing when the AFOW update went live so I believe that must of have somehow busted it in my game. So in theory I've figured a work around but having to move the large amount of game content between games would be a bit of a hassle. If there's anyway someone from the dev team could attempt to fix my game Spitfire Spades I would greatly appreciate it. I won't lie I'm a little embittered at the fact I've been paying for a feature that hasn't worked for about a month without so much as an acknowledgement of my bug reports from the dev team.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Faeriedae, Can you check your game Spitfire Spades now? I ran a utility that should have helped its performance. Large games sometimes have performance issues like that, usually unrelated to (but sadly coincidental) to any updates. Faeriedae said: About a month since my original post I have still received absolutely no help and the issue has persisted. In further bug testing I've done I figured out the issue seems to be unique to my game "Spitfire Spades" as when I recreated a map of the same large size in a new game the lag wasn't present. I figured this might be the case because I believe we were actually in the middle of playing when the AFOW update went live so I believe that must of have somehow busted it in my game. So in theory I've figured a work around but having to move the large amount of game content between games would be a bit of a hassle. If there's anyway someone from the dev team could attempt to fix my game Spitfire Spades I would greatly appreciate it. I won't lie I'm a little embittered at the fact I've been paying for a feature that hasn't worked for about a month without so much as an acknowledgement of my bug reports from the dev team.
Stephanie B. said: Faeriedae, Can you check your game Spitfire Spades now? I ran a utility that should have helped its performance. Large games sometimes have performance issues like that, usually unrelated to (but sadly coincidental) to any updates. Faeriedae said: About a month since my original post I have still received absolutely no help and the issue has persisted. In further bug testing I've done I figured out the issue seems to be unique to my game "Spitfire Spades" as when I recreated a map of the same large size in a new game the lag wasn't present. I figured this might be the case because I believe we were actually in the middle of playing when the AFOW update went live so I believe that must of have somehow busted it in my game. So in theory I've figured a work around but having to move the large amount of game content between games would be a bit of a hassle. If there's anyway someone from the dev team could attempt to fix my game Spitfire Spades I would greatly appreciate it. I won't lie I'm a little embittered at the fact I've been paying for a feature that hasn't worked for about a month without so much as an acknowledgement of my bug reports from the dev team. Thank you so much for the reply Stephanie! I've just checked and the weird lag still seems to be persisting. What makes me think that the issue came with the update is that we played a session, had to end it early, then about two days later came back to play once more and the lag issue started. No changes were made to the campaign at all between these sessions. No new files were uploaded or anything as far as I can recall, yet suddenly we were having this issue. Though I'm fairly certain I probably had the game open when the update went live.

Edited 1551982227
Could you post an image of the page settings? In particular I am curious if you have global illumination on in the larger map. I ran into a similar issue last night that I have not yet run down. I'm curious if this is the same thing. Phabien-Jacob L. said: Hey guys, so basicaly i'm trying to setup my map with Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War. I'm already aware that the acute angle, corner thing with DL was reported, but i have an issue with the AFoW : i've put a monster in a room, my player walk in, see the monster, then walk out and turn the corner. All my DL lines are fine , so the monster's token is not in the line of sight of my player in any way. B UT, the monster's token doesn't fade out of my player view as it's suppose to , like in the video:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ</a> . And I discovered that it works on a small map , but not on a large one (25x25 units compared to 126x165 units). Settings are the same for the two pages, so is it just because of the size of the map? The small map (DM's view on the left side, Player's view on the right) The large map (DM's view on the left side, Player's view on the right) Monster's setting (Large map on left, small on right) PC's setting (Large map on left, small on right) Am I the only one?? Thanks!
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Is it happening on every map, or just one or two? Can you post the Page Settings for the maps affected? Image uploads now work on forums, so you can just put a screen shot up. Faeriedae said: Thank you so much for the reply Stephanie! I've just checked and the weird lag still seems to be persisting. What makes me think that the issue came with the update is that we played a session, had to end it early, then about two days later came back to play once more and the lag issue started. No changes were made to the campaign at all between these sessions. No new files were uploaded or anything as far as I can recall, yet suddenly we were having this issue. Though I'm fairly certain I probably had the game open when the update went live.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Phabien-Jacob. I can recreate this issue and will put in a ticket.&nbsp; Phabien-Jacob L. said: Hey guys, so basicaly i'm trying to setup my map with Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War. I'm already aware that the acute angle, corner thing with DL was reported, but i have an issue with the AFoW : i've put a monster in a room, my player walk in, see the monster, then walk out and turn the corner. All my DL lines are fine , so the monster's token is not in the line of sight of my player in any way. B UT, the monster's token doesn't fade out of my player view as it's suppose to , like in the video:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ</a> . And I discovered that it works on a small map , but not on a large one (25x25 units compared to 126x165 units). Settings are the same for the two pages, so is it just because of the size of the map?

Edited 1551986846
Nolan T. J. said: As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. "Sorry you spent $600 on assets that don't work properly. If you wan't $10 back we can do that." Nice.&nbsp; We don't want refunds, we just want to play our DnD games with correct lighting. I play 3 campaigns weekly and its frustrating. I even pre-ordered Ghost of Saltmarsh... like I spend a lot of $ with Roll20. It feels sometimes that we are threatened with our assets... "Well if you don't like it go somewhere else"&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1551990057
kenton h. said: Good morning, all. We continue working diligently on the issues brought up this thread, specifically Grid Scale lighting and the corner light leakage. In addition to those specifics, please know that we're sorry for any negative experiences this update caused with your games. We are working from this process to increase the consistency and quality of future updates. We have found the underlying cause of the Grid Scale lighting issues, and are coding a hot fix that will be deployed as soon as it completes testing. Corner light leakage will immediately follow. Specific requests about your subscription should be emailed to team at roll20 dot net. This thread will continue to receive regular updates until the issues are resolved. We appreciate those who continue to help us troubleshoot. So another complete vague non answer. Fantastic. Again, we want: Actual time tables. Not vague we are working on it. The reason why you guys didn't roll back the updates when it quickly became apparent how broken they were. Why you chose to give priority to issues like "blurred animations" over the features we are paying monthly for. And finally an actual answer on compensation SITE WIDE FOR EVERY PAID USER WITHOUT HAVING TO CONTACT AND ASK FOR IT for the over a month of paid features being broken.&nbsp; I fully expect this comment to be censored, same as my last one calling out a Roll20 staff reply as unacceptable.&nbsp;
Stephanie B. said: Is it happening on every map, or just one or two? Can you post the Page Settings for the maps affected? Image uploads now work on forums, so you can just put a screen shot up. Faeriedae said: Thank you so much for the reply Stephanie! I've just checked and the weird lag still seems to be persisting. What makes me think that the issue came with the update is that we played a session, had to end it early, then about two days later came back to play once more and the lag issue started. No changes were made to the campaign at all between these sessions. No new files were uploaded or anything as far as I can recall, yet suddenly we were having this issue. Though I'm fairly certain I probably had the game open when the update went live. It is every map. I've made several new ones since the initial one and they've all had the issue.&nbsp;&nbsp; I understand these maps ARE awfully big which could be claimed to be the cause of the problem, it's just a little disheartening because before the update AFOW was working fine with the large maps and then the update seemed to break it.&nbsp;
Pretty much this, the service costs $120 a year and they act like a McDonald that forgot your fries (although the McDonalds would comp the meal so I am probably not being fair to McDonalds). Paku said: Nolan T. J. said: As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. "Sorry you spent $600 on assets that don't work properly. If you wan't $10 back we can do that." Nice.&nbsp; We don't want refunds, we just want to play our DnD games with correct lighting. I play 3 campaigns weekly and its frustrating. I even pre-ordered Ghost of Saltmarsh... like I spend a lot of $ with Roll20. It feels sometimes that we are threatened with our assets... "Well if you don't like it go somewhere else"&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1551992389
Drew.E said: Pretty much this, the service costs $120 a year and they act like a McDonald that forgot your fries (although the McDonalds would comp the meal so I am probably not being fair to McDonalds). Paku said: Nolan T. J. said: As always, if folks wish to cancel their subscription for refund, please email team AT roll20 DOT net. "Sorry you spent $600 on assets that don't work properly. If you wan't $10 back we can do that." Nice.&nbsp; We don't want refunds, we just want to play our DnD games with correct lighting. I play 3 campaigns weekly and its frustrating. I even pre-ordered Ghost of Saltmarsh... like I spend a lot of $ with Roll20. It feels sometimes that we are threatened with our assets... "Well if you don't like it go somewhere else"&nbsp;&nbsp; At some point I have to wonder if there is some way we should be reporting their handling of this entire situation. Even as we sit here demanding answers after they give us nothing, all they do is give us more vague non answers. It is unacceptable, and I can only guess is a result of the leadership at the top as was seen on Reddit.
There you go, Small map on the right and Large one on the left! Same setting on both side, except for map size , Background color ,&nbsp; Grid color/opacity and Darkness opacity (GM) . On both map at the moment of my initial report, there were only 2 tokens on the Token Layer, on the Map Layer of the Large map there was an imported image of the dungeon layout that i scaled on the Roll20 grid, no light source except the PC's Token. Ask again if anybody need anymore detail! Drew.E said: Could you post an image of the page settings? In particular I am curious if you have global illumination on in the larger map. I ran into a similar issue last night that I have not yet run down. I'm curious if this is the same thing. Phabien-Jacob L. said: Hey guys, so basicaly i'm trying to setup my map with Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War. I'm already aware that the acute angle, corner thing with DL was reported, but i have an issue with the AFoW : i've put a monster in a room, my player walk in, see the monster, then walk out and turn the corner. All my DL lines are fine , so the monster's token is not in the line of sight of my player in any way. B UT, the monster's token doesn't fade out of my player view as it's suppose to , like in the video:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ</a> . And I discovered that it works on a small map , but not on a large one (25x25 units compared to 126x165 units). Settings are the same for the two pages, so is it just because of the size of the map?
Hi everyone. I understand that there is a lot of frustration going on, and I certainly want everyone to feel free to express their thoughts, concerns, and criticisms. I also want to remind everyone of the general guidelines in the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct , which states: Discussions on Roll20 should always maintain a tone of respect and civility. To promote a welcoming environment for everyone, we ask that you refrain from: Personal &nbsp;attacks or name calling Passing &nbsp;judgment (be it on issues ranging from gameplay to lifestyles) Inflammatory&nbsp;or abusive language (e.g. communication with the intent of provoking others) Posting sexually explicit or extremely violent content Distribution of someone's personal information Engaging in or encouraging illegal activities (examples including, but not limited to: piracy, phishing, fraud, etc.) Trolling, overt or passive aggression, spam Abuse of the Report function Violating area specific guidelines While we do want users to continue to express their input, we do ask that you do so in a respectful manner. Users disregarding this policy are subject to moderation action as outlined by the Moderation Policy. Thanks!
So that's not the issue I was having so I can't say for certain. I would guess it is probably related to the transparent background on the larger map, but that's just a guess I don't really know how AFoW interacts with transparent backgrounds. Phabien-Jacob L. said: There you go, Small map on the right and Large one on the left! Same setting on both side, except for map size , Background color ,&nbsp; Grid color/opacity and Darkness opacity (GM) . On both map at the moment of my initial report, there were only 2 tokens on the Token Layer, on the Map Layer of the Large map there was an imported image of the dungeon layout that i scaled on the Roll20 grid, no light source except the PC's Token. Ask again if anybody need anymore detail! Drew.E said: Could you post an image of the page settings? In particular I am curious if you have global illumination on in the larger map. I ran into a similar issue last night that I have not yet run down. I'm curious if this is the same thing. Phabien-Jacob L. said: Hey guys, so basicaly i'm trying to setup my map with Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War. I'm already aware that the acute angle, corner thing with DL was reported, but i have an issue with the AFoW : i've put a monster in a room, my player walk in, see the monster, then walk out and turn the corner. All my DL lines are fine , so the monster's token is not in the line of sight of my player in any way. B UT, the monster's token doesn't fade out of my player view as it's suppose to , like in the video:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAHioQFUOQ</a> . And I discovered that it works on a small map , but not on a large one (25x25 units compared to 126x165 units). Settings are the same for the two pages, so is it just because of the size of the map?
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I can confirm it's due to having a transparent background. Updating the ticket now. Drew.E &nbsp;said: So that's not the issue I was having so I can't say for certain. I would guess it is probably related to the transparent background on the larger map, but that's just a guess I don't really know how AFoW interacts with transparent backgrounds. Phabien-Jacob L. &nbsp;said: There you go, Small map on the right and Large one on the left! Same setting on both side,&nbsp; except &nbsp;for&nbsp; map size ,&nbsp; Background color ,&nbsp; Grid color/opacity&nbsp; and&nbsp; Darkness opacity (GM) . On both map at the moment of my initial report, there were only 2 tokens on the Token Layer, on the Map Layer of the Large map there was an imported image of the dungeon layout that i scaled on the Roll20 grid, no light source except the PC's Token. Ask again if anybody need anymore detail!
So coming into the weekend I think we can all assume that a hotfix wont be deployed until early next week at the absolute earliest. I'm gonna take the time to pour some feelings out into text here. I waited a week just to make sure I wasn't speaking out of impulse. But here goes. I'm not Happy. Over the last month, I feel like I haven't gotten my dollars worth out of my Pro Subscription. AFoW&nbsp; and lighting make up about 80% of the reason I pay monthly (The other 20% storage space and API support). I know that other features are listed as part of my subscription, but if I'm being honest, they made no impact on my decision to purchase a pro subscription or not. Similar to the fact that I pay for Amazon Prime for 2 day shipping, but they also offer me free music and a discount on milk purchased from Whole foods. There have been months where I paid for a Pro Subscription but didn't touch the website once. I was fine with these, It was my fault. I got busy. The website still earned it's keep. This month doesn't feel like that.&nbsp; This outage hit me hard. A game got canceled because of it. Over a month ago I started planning a game. Two of the players involved were friends from across the country that I haven't seen in years. The problems with AFoW caused me to stall out setup. It always sounded like the fix was a day away. I'd just wait and start working on it again when the problems were fixed.&nbsp; I sent a group message to my players earlier this week to let them know that the fixes were still coming, We'd start playing when they came in. I got back replies. "I don't really think I have time anymore" "Yeah, this isn't going how I thought it would" "Maybe next time". It spiraled out and died as people played off each others replies.&nbsp; I probably should have powered through and kept going with all the bugs. But I didn't. It always felt like a fix was right around the corner. Last but not least. I'm bummed because I got scarred away from some purchases by this whole deal. I wanted Creature Codex and Tome of Beasts. I own the physical books. But I was going to buy the Packs here. I'm afraid though. If I make the purchases will they always be available? If an update breaks a feature of the tokens, will they be fixed? Is the digital purchase going to be as permanent as the books I own? I tend to lean paranoid in this new day and age of digital products. I keep buying physical books because they are mine forever instead of licensed to me with conditions and obligations. But I was warming to the idea. I really like creature codex.&nbsp; But this whole ordeal spooked me again. Double down some of my fears. Reassured me that I wasn't crazy, that the reason I was holding off was real.&nbsp; I guess I'm just really trying to say... I'm not Happy...
Not happy either. Rob W. said: So coming into the weekend I think we can all assume that a hotfix wont be deployed until early next week at the absolute earliest. I'm gonna take the time to pour some feelings out into text here. I waited a week just to make sure I wasn't speaking out of impulse. But here goes. I'm not Happy. Over the last month, I feel like I haven't gotten my dollars worth out of my Pro Subscription. AFoW&nbsp; and lighting make up about 80% of the reason I pay monthly (The other 20% storage space and API support). I know that other features are listed as part of my subscription, but if I'm being honest, they made no impact on my decision to purchase a pro subscription or not. Similar to the fact that I pay for Amazon Prime for 2 day shipping, but they also offer me free music and a discount on milk purchased from Whole foods. There have been months where I paid for a Pro Subscription but didn't touch the website once. I was fine with these, It was my fault. I got busy. The website still earned it's keep. This month doesn't feel like that.&nbsp; This outage hit me hard. A game got canceled because of it. Over a month ago I started planning a game. Two of the players involved were friends from across the country that I haven't seen in years. The problems with AFoW caused me to stall out setup. It always sounded like the fix was a day away. I'd just wait and start working on it again when the problems were fixed.&nbsp; I sent a group message to my players earlier this week to let them know that the fixes were still coming, We'd start playing when they came in. I got back replies. "I don't really think I have time anymore" "Yeah, this isn't going how I thought it would" "Maybe next time". It spiraled out and died as people played off each others replies.&nbsp; I probably should have powered through and kept going with all the bugs. But I didn't. It always felt like a fix was right around the corner. Last but not least. I'm bummed because I got scarred away from some purchases by this whole deal. I wanted Creature Codex and Tome of Beasts. I own the physical books. But I was going to buy the Packs here. I'm afraid though. If I make the purchases will they always be available? If an update breaks a feature of the tokens, will they be fixed? Is the digital purchase going to be as permanent as the books I own? I tend to lean paranoid in this new day and age of digital products. I keep buying physical books because they are mine forever instead of licensed to me with conditions and obligations. But I was warming to the idea. I really like creature codex.&nbsp; But this whole ordeal spooked me again. Double down some of my fears. Reassured me that I wasn't crazy, that the reason I was holding off was real.&nbsp; I guess I'm just really trying to say... I'm not Happy...
I hard quote rob,&nbsp; especially about the reason I subscribed as plus: AFoW and DL. Taken away one of this feature is half subscription for me.

Edited 1552081544
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone! We put out a hotfix this morning that fixes the most critical AFoW and Dynamic Lighting issues we've seen people having. If you have experienced problems with AFoW and DL, please check the Known Issues list in the top of this thread, as it has been updated, then double-check your game to see if you're still having the issue. There are some new Known Issues that we caught during this hotfix, but chose to release the hotfix as it fixes severely critical issues, even if it introduces (or exposed) some less-critical ones. Please note that pages with a scale of 1 unit = 10 ft. and grid scale of .5 still do not have the lighting scale the way you might expect. However, if you change the scale to 5 feet and the grid to .5, the lighting and auras will scale correctly. Many of the purchased modules have this set as 10 feet; we'll be patching those soon. In the course of working on these issues, we discovered that half of the team reads the page settings dialog box one way, and half of the team reads it differently, which has led to inconsistent implementation of page and grid scaling. To fix that going forward, we're redesigning the page settings dialog box, and will be putting that out for user review and feedback on the Dev server soon. As a reminder: Fixes for the token bars are currently in testing on the Dev server. We'll be revisiting those, fixing a few remaining issues, and releasing them soon. Our next priorities for fixing issues related to this release are: Token bar modifications Ruler measurements when the grid scale is anything other than 1 March 8 Hotfix: AFoW Sees Through Walls - fixed the issue that seemed to be caused by Dynamic Lighting gaps, but was in fact caused by Advanced Fog of War being able to peer through walls. When map grid size is not 1 (.5 for example), dim light does not reveal anything. - fixed the issue where dim light does not reveal anything. However, please see the Known Issues list for related issues. Webm uploads need to support transparency - Uploading animations now supports transparency in webm files. Static .gifs are being converted to webm - Static gifs are now converted to a static file format (which shows up as jpeg but is not a jpeg). Also, I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has been so patient, and to apologize to those who have been so frustrated by these issues (and those who have been both!) I know you all care a lot about Roll20, or you wouldn't spend your time telling us when things are broken.&nbsp;
Faeriedae said: Stephanie B. said: Is it happening on every map, or just one or two? Can you post the Page Settings for the maps affected? Image uploads now work on forums, so you can just put a screen shot up. Faeriedae said: Thank you so much for the reply Stephanie! I've just checked and the weird lag still seems to be persisting. What makes me think that the issue came with the update is that we played a session, had to end it early, then about two days later came back to play once more and the lag issue started. No changes were made to the campaign at all between these sessions. No new files were uploaded or anything as far as I can recall, yet suddenly we were having this issue. Though I'm fairly certain I probably had the game open when the update went live. It is every map. I've made several new ones since the initial one and they've all had the issue.&nbsp;&nbsp; I understand these maps ARE awfully big which could be claimed to be the cause of the problem, it's just a little disheartening because before the update AFOW was working fine with the large maps and then the update seemed to break it.&nbsp; Just wanna bump this real quick and say the hotfix did not seem to fix the strange lag issue. To be more specific, whenever AFOW is turned on, and any token is present which would use AFOW&nbsp; (I.E. Tokens Which Emit light or Tokens with a AFOW View Distance.) it causes extreme lag when attempting to move the tokens.