Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Done! Ty Vince! :) Good call!
Is there anyone here who has time to mentor me? I'm new and would appreciate it.

Edited 1454479165
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome to Roll20 SleepingSkye have you gone thru the introductory post at the top of the thread?&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1693101/new-to-r" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1693101/new-to-r</a>... The information provided in Avacyn's introduction a great starting point for anyone new to Roll20. Post back here or to an appropriate forum and you will definitely get help from someone. &nbsp;Cheers
So I'm exceedingly new to D&D. What do I need to have if I want to play? And how do I go about creating a character?&nbsp;
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Luke J. said: What do I need to have if I want to play? You've already got everything you need! (Check out the first post in this thread for tips on finding a group.) Luke J. said: And how do I go about creating a character?&nbsp; This is done within the app; your GM will first create and assign you a Character , which you can access from the Journal tab of the Sidebar. If your game is using a Character Sheet , you can access it your through the Character Sheet tab on the Character Window of your Character. From there, your GM can assist you through the process of character creation. Good luck!
Hello all, I m not new to D&D I have played 3.5ed and I am running a tabletop game for my Children in 5ed. I really want to play, &nbsp;but I am limited on my freetime. &nbsp;I am new to roll20 have created a bio, &nbsp;why is it so hard to join games,&nbsp;
Hi all, I've been posting for a while now on Roll20, ORC, Google+, etc., etc., and etc., and can't seem to find a group. I'm in my 40s and mostly interested in playing Call of Cthulhu. From what I read I seem to fit the demographic: family, weekends only, regular, planned games, and so on. BUT I can't get a a game. I have been posting 'used to DM but now want to play'. Do people not want players who used to DM? Hints, please - I'd really appreciate it. Am I breaching some kind of online etiquette? Bring back White Dwarf classified ads!!!
Is it possible to switch movement from feet to inches on the board?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Big Boss, you can set what each unit represents in the&nbsp; page settings . Using the drop down you can select one of the options that will alter how the ruler calculates distance, including in inches (in.)
Hello I am looking for&nbsp; DnD style game to join or any game to join honestly could someone send me a message or invite ?
Hey there, pretty new to tabletop games! I've played DnD 5e IRL and have been playing for 2/4 of the sessions they had (I joined in late) and have been having a lot of fun roleplaying with my friends and the DM. Which comes to me actually wanting to set up a DnD game, and becoming a DM myself. I'm work as a writer and is really interested in a good roleplay, and I think I could use my skills in work for being a DM! The thing is, in our IRL DnD the DM basically spoon-fed us a lot of stuff (Because it was everyone's first DnD game in their whole lives) and I don't really know how to set up a game from scratch. I've heard that reading the DM's guide will help but I've also heard that the DM's guide book only helps if you've already set up a game. Anyway, I hope to make good use of Roll20 and have lots of fun :D Also sorry if my English is a tad bit bad, not my first language.
JPFighterbard said: Hello all, I m not new to D&D I have played 3.5ed and I am running a tabletop game for my Children in 5ed. I really want to play, &nbsp;but I am limited on my freetime. &nbsp;I am new to roll20 have created a bio, &nbsp;why is it so hard to join games,&nbsp; gavin p. said: Hi all, I've been posting for a while now on Roll20, ORC, Google+, etc., etc., and etc., and can't seem to find a group. I'm in my 40s and mostly interested in playing Call of Cthulhu. From what I read I seem to fit the demographic: family, weekends only, regular, planned games, and so on. BUT I can't get a a game. I have been posting 'used to DM but now want to play'. Do people not want players who used to DM? Hints, please - I'd really appreciate it. Am I breaching some kind of online etiquette? Bring back White Dwarf classified ads!!! James B. said: Hello I am looking for&nbsp; DnD style game to join or any game to join honestly could someone send me a message or invite ? You might consider taking a look at our&nbsp; [Discussion] What Makes a Great LFG Thread? Many of our users have provided information on how to create great LFG threads. You should also ensure that the "Actively Seeking Group For" section of your profile is filled out, so you will be listed on our&nbsp; Player Directory & make sure you are checking out both our&nbsp; LFG Forum &&nbsp; LFG Tool . If you are a Google Plus user, you might also want to check out the&nbsp; Roll20 Player Network . Anzei K. said: Hey there, pretty new to tabletop games! I've played DnD 5e IRL and have been playing for 2/4 of the sessions they had (I joined in late) and have been having a lot of fun roleplaying with my friends and the DM. Which comes to me actually wanting to set up a DnD game, and becoming a DM myself. I'm work as a writer and is really interested in a good roleplay, and I think I could use my skills in work for being a DM! The thing is, in our IRL DnD the DM basically spoon-fed us a lot of stuff (Because it was everyone's first DnD game in their whole lives) and I don't really know how to set up a game from scratch. I've heard that reading the DM's guide will help but I've also heard that the DM's guide book only helps if you've already set up a game. Anyway, I hope to make good use of Roll20 and have lots of fun :D Also sorry if my English is a tad bit bad, not my first language. Welcome! Check out this information from the first page of this thread: To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Greetings everyone! I have decided to post here due to having minor anxiety when attempting to join a group for a game. I would like to say hello and get acquainted to the site and the people within it. Sorry Im kind of stumbling over my words here, I just do not socialize much and wish to try now. I enjoy DND 5th edition and the starwars tabletop, as well as Warhammer

Edited 1454962514
Welcome&nbsp; Rexaxis - check out the message I posted above for help! I think you'll find our community to be very kind. If not let me know ;) Best of luck in your search!
Rexaxis said: Greetings everyone! I have decided to post here due to having minor anxiety when attempting to join a group for a game. I would like to say hello and get acquainted to the site and the people within it. Sorry Im kind of stumbling over my words here, I just do not socialize much and wish to try now. I enjoy DND 5th edition and the starwars tabletop, as well as Warhammer Welcome to Roll20! Thank you for spending some of your time with us. Roll20 is a huge platform, and I am sure that you will have no problem finding a place that you feel comfortable in.&nbsp;
This is a wonderful platform, and thanks for all your work on it! I have a question about combining card decks. Ideally, I'd like to be able to add cards quickly and seamlessly into a master deck depending on cards that have been drawn. For example, if a character draws a "Fall Out with the Assassins' League" card out of a general Events deck, I'd love to be able to shuffle in like eight pre-created assassin encounter cards to the main deck on the fly. Is that possible, or would I just need to stop the game, create eight new cards, and add them in one by one? I hope this makes sense. Thanks again!&nbsp;
hello everyone, names Geno. I am far from new to rpg's, I've played but mainly DM'd everything from 2nd ed to 5th and each edition in between. I never get the opportunity to play, so I figured this would be a great chance. also, my group always has a tendency to fall through, I'm sure there are plenty of you that know how that goes. Well, I was going to attempt signing up for a game and the DM/poster asked for a permalink&nbsp;to be posted with a comment from anyone interested. Where do I go to create this character and how do I link it?

Edited 1455321906
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hey Geno, welcome to Roll20! Usually, character creation is done within the app; Your GM would first create and assign you a Character , which you could access from the Journal tab of the Sidebar. If your game is using a Character Sheet , you could access it your through the Character Sheet tab on the Character Window of your Character. From there, your GM would assist you through the process of character creation, if you're unfamiliar with the rules/system/process. However, in your case, it sounds like this GM is asking for applicants to come pre-supplied with a Character. I'm guessing that this GM would like you to fill out and save some sheet to a non-Roll20 third-party website. (I would be happy to help further if you could post the link to the forum post or LFG listing in question!)
Hello everybody! My name is is Mike, and this is my first time with online DnD. This is a bit of a general knowledge question as well as a technical one, but do people here play on Saturdays,&nbsp;UTC+12:00 time? Also, is there a way to narrow down the search results to find people who do? I appreciate any and all help!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Micheal and more than likely yes they do. Since roll20 is an internet service, it is not bound to specific regions of the world. If there is internet there is access to roll20. You can use the LFG search engine and specific what time and day you are seeking (in the advanced options) along with what type of game. Hope this answered your question fully.
My mouse behavior is somehow inverted on roll20 maps. I mean when I move my mouse up the map moves down, when I move it down it moves up. Same for left and right. Is this the natural behaviour ? If so, how can I change it ?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Marc, that sounds like a technical issue with your mouse settings and not roll20 issue. Send me a pm and we can discuss it in private to solve your problem.
Hello everyone. The last time I played a table top was TMNT in the 90's. At any rate, I really enjoy horror and supernatural stuff and hope to find others that are interested in the same thing. &nbsp;
Hi all
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome. &nbsp;If you haven't done so, be sure to check the top of the thread. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1693101/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1693101/</a> Good stuff. &nbsp;Cheers
I'm having a problem and I don't know it's user error or a bug. Probably the former because I'm very new to using Roll20. I was running a test campaign in order to familiarize myself and one of my players with Roll20, but I couldn't manage to give the player a token. I put the token onto the board and then edited its settings so that only the player could control it. For some reason, I was still able to control it, and he wasn't able to at all. I tried reloading the game, then he tried reloading the game, but it didn't fix it. I then edited the settings again so that it was tied to the player's character, and I double-checked to make sure that the character was listed as the player's in its settings, and it was. I tried reloading the game again, and then so did he. Nothing I could do seemed to work, so we called it a night, but when we came back the next night neither of us could interact with the token. I ended up deleting and remaking the page so that we could get rid of the token.

Edited 1455584733
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Ana. &nbsp;Just guessing... it's possible you could have placed the token on the&nbsp; map layer. &nbsp;Player's can only access the Objects and Tokens layer. &nbsp;Also, the GM-layer is only visible to the GM. &nbsp;This is great for setting up a map/encounter and moving items to the token or map layer when player's encounter them. So, I would double-check your layers and post back to the&nbsp; Specific Use forum with your own post&nbsp;if you are still having any issues. &nbsp;Cheers
test post
I just crated an account here and am trying to look for a game to join. However, whenever i try to search for a game on Find a Group the list is empty
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Alvin Nobody said: I just crated an account here and am trying to look for a game to join. However, whenever i try to search for a game on Find a Group the list is empty That should be fixed, Alvin.&nbsp; If it isn't, please let us know (over in Bug Reports)!
Having a time down loading from my liberary items for HANDOUTS; have watched You Tube tutorail and still having problems [1] once have item on handout it is not there when I go back: [2] how to you come out of the action without coming all the way out
Am I understanding this correctly? You can only carry a character from one game to the next with The PLUS or PRO membership?

Edited 1456497791
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Brad, you are correct in the way that only&nbsp; Plus and Pro members can use the&nbsp; character vault (both) or&nbsp; transmogrifier (Pro) to copy/move/import a Character Sheet over to a new game. That doesn't stop the good old manual method of simply re-creating a character sheet in another game however as long as the DM is fine with it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
David A. said: Having a time down loading from my liberary items for HANDOUTS; have watched You Tube tutorail and still having problems [1] once have item on handout it is not there when I go back: [2] how to you come out of the action without coming all the way out David. If I understand you correctly, you are having difficulty taking an art asset from your&nbsp; library and placing it in your&nbsp; handout and making it stay. Are you saving the handout after you put the image in handout? David it is also usually recommended that you ask questions like this in their own individual threads so that they are not overlooked and are answered promptly. This thread is more for people who are new to roll20 and need the introductory videos and help (see first post of this thread). Brad K. said: Am I understanding this correctly? You can only carry a character from one game to the next with The PLUS or PRO membership? If you are asking about the&nbsp; character vault then yes that is a subscription feature. Questions about specific uses or features on roll20 is usually recommended to have their own thread so they can be seen by many eyes.

Edited 1456498081
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
David A. said: Having a time down loading from my liberary items for HANDOUTS; have watched You Tube tutorail and still having problems [1] once have item on handout it is not there when I go back: [2] how to you come out of the action without coming all the way out Hi David, with regards to your handout question; make sure you are clicking 'save changes' before attempting to close a handout. Closing it on its own cancels any edits since the last save while 'save changes' will effectively close the edit window but retain the changes. I'm unsure what you mean about coming out of the action without coming all the way out, do you mean to leave a game without leaving the site entirely? If so, there is a button on the settings tab in game that allows you to 'exit game' and will return you to the site.

Edited 1456534469
Hello Roll20! I have a question for you: could we use Roll20 to have "drop-in" adventures? Meaning, I set a map up as the DM, and then my players would, as they can, check what's happened, do an action, and then log off. Kind of like Words with Friends: you take your turn when prompted, but don't have to be logged in the whole time. Can that work with Roll20? Thanks! P.S. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere - I looked everywhere I could, but never saw this particular conundrum. Thanks!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ryan F. said: Hello Roll20! I have a question for you: could we use Roll20 to have "drop-in" adventures? Meaning, I set a map up as the DM, and then my players would, as they can, check what's happened, do an action, and then log off. Kind of like Words with Friends: you take your turn when prompted, but don't have to be logged in the whole time. Can that work with Roll20? Thanks! P.S. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere - I looked everywhere I could, but never saw this particular conundrum. Thanks! Hi Ryan, that is definitely possible. In fact i'm involved in a game built around such a premise myself. You would simply invite the participants as normal and ask them to set up their notifications on the site to email them immediately upon a message in a followed thread. Once a player had finished you could have a thread in the game forum that got replied to when they logged out which could act as an email based prompt for the next player to log on when they got chance. The notifications bit isn't essential to run that kind of game but does help encourage it to flow. Long story short... yes you can do what you want to do :)
Hello there, I have a question or two; My wife and I are both gamers and are looking to put together a new group but we only have one desktop computer. &nbsp;No iPad or other internet accessible doodads. &nbsp;Is there a way that we can have two separate accounts up at once or two separate character sheets available from one account at once? Also, a lot of the games we play are older ones and they don't seem to show in your options drop down under profile. &nbsp;How can I list the specific games we play? One more; If the games we play aren't already listed, how can we get the character sheet forms and needed material onto roll 20? Thanks!
The system I am using was not put outil 1980's I am setting up file for Character sheets and the set up of the system Have not thought about different accounts, but do not see why not
Completely new to this and havent played a table top rpg since the 80s so I would consider myself a complete newb on both fronts, playing tt games and using a vtt. &nbsp;I have played through most of the tutorial and while it's done well out of context it's hard to see how this all works. &nbsp;Where can I jump in as a player where I won't be scowled upon as such a green player? &nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Matthew B. said: Completely new to this and havent played a table top rpg since the 80s so I would consider myself a complete newb on both fronts, playing tt games and using a vtt. &nbsp;I have played through most of the tutorial and while it's done well out of context it's hard to see how this all works. &nbsp;Where can I jump in as a player where I won't be scowled upon as such a green player? &nbsp; Hello Matthew and welcome to the site.&nbsp;I'd suggest you&nbsp;check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Also be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by&nbsp; posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!

Edited 1456629295
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
wendell_burke said: Hello there, I have a question or two; My wife and I are both gamers and are looking to put together a new group but we only have one desktop computer. &nbsp;No iPad or other internet accessible doodads. &nbsp;Is there a way that we can have two separate accounts up at once or two separate character sheets available from one account at once? Also, a lot of the games we play are older ones and they don't seem to show in your options drop down under profile. &nbsp;How can I list the specific games we play? One more; If the games we play aren't already listed, how can we get the character sheet forms and needed material onto roll 20? Thanks! If I understand your questions correctly, you can have two different account open at the same time. You just need to have them in different tabs so you can bounce between them. Character sheets are specific to a game so you can't have two different sheets to the same game open (think 5e shaped and the 5e OGL sheet). You can have multiple individual sheets open with no problems. The older games that are not listed in the drop down menus are placed under Other and have their systems displayed in their title or in their description. You can make a&nbsp; simple sheet inside the game itself with just the default attributes and abilities. It was how things were done before the community created sheets were added. You can also post a request in the&nbsp; sheet forum also.
Matthew B. said: Completely new to this and havent played a table top rpg since the 80s so I would consider myself a complete newb on both fronts, playing tt games and using a vtt. &nbsp;I have played through most of the tutorial and while it's done well out of context it's hard to see how this all works. &nbsp;Where can I jump in as a player where I won't be scowled upon as such a green player? &nbsp; I play TRAELLER'S; but open to others&nbsp; ;I started with naval ships then metal star ships; at 65 I see that ROLL20 is the way to go
Pat S. said: If I understand your questions correctly, you can have two different account open at the same time. You just need to have them in different tabs so you can bounce between them. Character sheets are specific to a game so you can't have two different sheets to the same game open (think 5e shaped and the 5e OGL sheet). You can have multiple individual sheets open with no problems. The older games that are not listed in the drop down menus are placed under Other and have their systems displayed in their title or in their description. You can make a&nbsp; simple sheet inside the game itself with just the default attributes and abilities. It was how things were done before the community created sheets were added. You can also post a request in the&nbsp; sheet forum also. Thanks Pat! &nbsp;Ok, so if my wife and I both have our own characters, we can both be logged in on different tabs at once, but I'm not familiar with you example of 5e and don't know what an OGL sheet is. &nbsp;I'm not sure I follow your wording. &nbsp;So we can both be logged in but we both can't access our character sheets at once? Thanks again for the help!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
The OGL by Roll20 Character Sheet for D&D 5th Edition is a recently-released, official Roll20 Character Sheet. The vast majority of sheets are created and maintained by the Roll20 Community. If, while in-game, you toggle the Use Window Popouts for Characters option on, you could have two Character Windows side-by-side. You could do this regardless of whether you decide to access the game via Two different Roll20 accounts logged into the same game (i.e. via two different browser tabs), or One single Roll20 account, with the two Characters assigned to it (i.e. via one browser tab).

Edited 1456631517
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
wendell_burke said: Thanks Pat! &nbsp;Ok, so if my wife and I both have our own characters, we can both be logged in on different tabs at once, but I'm not familiar with you example of 5e and don't know what an OGL sheet is. &nbsp;I'm not sure I follow your wording. &nbsp;So we can both be logged in but we both can't access our character sheets at once? Thanks again for the help! Each of the sheets I mentioned is for the same game system (5e D&D) but they are two different styles of sheets. I was just using them as an example. You can access both sheets at the same time but you have to decide if you wish to access them with one account (in the same tab or in individual tabs setup side by side) or you can be logged in on two different accounts (each account in a separate tab and have them side by side) with each sheet open for that account. Silvyre explains it clearer than I was.
Thanks a lot, both Silvyre and Pat. &nbsp;I just have one more question. &nbsp;How will that work with using one mike for both of us? &nbsp;Do you know if this will be a problem?