Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Hi, I just joined, try going through the tutorial, get to the journal stage, the step about setting up a folder named "Important Locations."  I do that, and then there's no text box to tell me what to do next, nothing shows up.  Try closing the tutorial and restarting, same thing.  Similar things happen if I move on the to subsequent stages, but I forget the exact details because it's been a while since I did the tutorial.  I only just went through it again, because I created a game, and it told me I had to go through the tutorial, even though I had "gone" through it before, even though I probably hadn't, because it failed to give me all the steps.  Is this happening to anyone else?
Does everyone in the party need to have purchased the premium D&D content for it to work?  Also, will everyone need a Pro/Plus subscription for the extra effects to show up?
Frank R. said: Does everyone in the party need to have purchased the premium D&D content for it to work?  Also, will everyone need a Pro/Plus subscription for the extra effects to show up? No to both questions. Only the game's creator needs to have purchased the material to be used. Extra features are available based on the current subscription status of the game's creator.
I want to learn how to play 5th Edition D&D, and the SRD is available here. What should I read in order to know what I need to play? Should I read the whole thing?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
James W. said: I want to learn how to play 5th Edition D&D, and the SRD is available here. What should I read in order to know what I need to play? Should I read the whole thing? Reading the Basic Rules is a great start and it's free <a href="http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules" rel="nofollow">http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules</a> Try and find a&nbsp; D&D 5e game in Looking for Group that welcomes new players. &nbsp; You can learn by playing the game. &nbsp;;-)
I just started trying to look for games yesterday, and it seems like there are about 50 player applications for every game. Is there any way I can boost my chances of getting selected for games (I'm a newbie), or search in different places? I understand that there's obviously an imbalance between numbers of DM's and numbers of players, but unless I get incredibly lucky, it seems like I'll never get picked to play a game.
I have had an account here for awhile but am looking to become an active member here moving forward. I play all sorts of games Palladium Books, D&D5e, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Savage Rifts, and Savage Worlds. Looking forward to forming some great friendships with some of you. Thanks,
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Patrick E. said: I just started trying to look for games yesterday, and it seems like there are about 50 player applications for every game. Is there any way I can boost my chances of getting selected for games (I'm a newbie), or search in different places? I understand that there's obviously an imbalance between numbers of DM's and numbers of players, but unless I get incredibly lucky, it seems like I'll never get picked to play a game. There are about as many different answers to this question as there are users on Roll20. Personally, I'd suggest finding a game that has a good description of what they are looking for in a player. And then in your application, show that you actually read the description; if they have a non-standard setting (or even a standard setting) and are asking you to submit a basic character concept, work some of the details from what they've posted about the world into your character concept. And then, in a somewhat contradictory thought, I also tend to not apply to games that want a fully fleshed out backstory in the application; it's just not worth it to spend that much time writing up a page of character backstory for a game that I'm not even sure I'll get into, and there's the minor fact that there's almost always some piece of world lore that you need to know for a truly good background. And finally, if you aren't picky about game type, try something besides D&D 5e/Pathfinder. Those two have a particularly bad player:GM ratio.
Thanks for the reply! I hope it doesn't sound entitled for me to say this, but... finding a game on here seems like finding a job IRL... I thought it would be easier for some reason, but as I said I see why it's so hard. I'll take that advice about making it a lot more personal next time I post an application - should I post applications for every game that interests me slightly, or should I just apply for one or two at a time? &gt; And finally, if you aren't picky about game type, try something besides D&D 5e/Pathfinder. Those two have a particularly bad player:GM ratio Can you recommend any games? My friend is trying to run a DnD 5e game IRL, but it's taking forever to get started, which is why I tried finding games online too, but I'm definitely open to try out other games (including less 'rule heavy' ones). Are there online rulebooks for every game on here, or would I need to buy anything to start playing some of them?
How do I roll 3D dice? I set it up in the options but I only get "text" rolls in the chat. Tutorial is absolutely NOT helpful, it says: "Try out the 3D dice now by making a roll from the dice GUI or chat tab.. Follow the click and drag instructions to roll the dice and continue." Whatever I do, the roll only shows up in the chat tab. When I click and drag a rolled dice from the chat tab, I only drop the already rolled dice on the table. What do I need to do to use this feature? Feeling stupid.

Edited 1472921115
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome to roll20 Phil. &nbsp;Don't ever feel stupid. &nbsp;;-) Normally enabling 3d dice is as simple enabling 3d Dice under My Settings from the sidebar. &nbsp; Unless you are using the "Automatically roll 3D dice option", you will be prompted with "Click and drag to roll dice" You simply "draw" a velocity line on the screen that sets the direction and velocity the dice will follow. So, if this is not working for you I'm thinking it may be a browser and/or a tablet issue. &nbsp;Roll20 supports chrome and firefox only although other browser's may have varied success. &nbsp; You may want to post in the&nbsp; Bug Reports & Technical Issues if you are still having problems. &nbsp; Hope this helps. &nbsp;Cheers
Whenever I try to access the link below, it just doesn't work: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3904175/the-scoo" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3904175/the-scoo</a>... Can you guys help me?

Edited 1472934089
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Fitch B. said: Whenever I try to access the link below, it just doesn't work: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3904175/the-scoo" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3904175/the-scoo</a>... Can you guys help me? It is probably because it is a game forum post. If you are not a member of that group, you will not be authorized to see it. I can tell you that it is from the&nbsp; world of darkness hub group.
OK so I'm totally new to Table top RPG's. I bought Pathfinder about a year ago on a recommendation, and have never really gotten to play it due to working third shift.Trying to find people to play with and teach me is difficult, so I was recommended this website by people online and figured I'd check it out. So I was just curious if anybody Is willing to help a newbie learn the ropes of Table top gaming? I also would like to apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask this question. I saw this was a forum for new players so I figured I'd ask here. Anyways thanks to all who read my post and I will graciously await your response.&nbsp;
I just found Roll20 yesterday after watching a YouTube video of a group session.&nbsp;Everything looks amazing, but I do have a question.&nbsp; As DM, if I purchase one of your items, say Lost Mines of Phandelver, does everyone that wants to join that game also have to make the same purchase?&nbsp; The game that I run meets in person, but the map quality and misting and such are so impressive that I am going to suggest incorporating Roll20.&nbsp;I just may wait until we finish Phandelver since we already have it, unless the DM is the only person who has to make the digital content purchase. &nbsp; I really hope that makes sense...
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Michael R. said: OK so I'm totally new to Table top RPG's. I bought Pathfinder about a year ago on a recommendation, and have never really gotten to play it due to working third shift.Trying to find people to play with and teach me is difficult, so I was recommended this website by people online and figured I'd check it out. So I was just curious if anybody Is willing to help a newbie learn the ropes of Table top gaming? I also would like to apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask this question. I saw this was a forum for new players so I figured I'd ask here. Anyways thanks to all who read my post and I will graciously await your response.&nbsp; Hi Michael and welcome to Roll20. There are many kind and helpful DM's out there who happily incorporate new players into their games, your best bet of finding such a mentor would be to head on over to the&nbsp; Looking for Group forum and posting there with an appeal. For greater levels of success I recommend reading and heeding the&nbsp; OP of this thread as well as making sure your LFG post has all pertinent details about when you are available to play and the systems you are interested in. The more you can help your perfect DM find you the sooner they will :)

Edited 1473178595
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Eric H. said: I just found Roll20 yesterday after watching a YouTube video of a group session.&nbsp;Everything looks amazing, but I do have a question.&nbsp; As DM, if I purchase one of your items, say Lost Mines of Phandelver, does everyone that wants to join that game also have to make the same purchase?&nbsp; The game that I run meets in person, but the map quality and misting and such are so impressive that I am going to suggest incorporating Roll20.&nbsp;I just may wait until we finish Phandelver since we already have it, unless the DM is the only person who has to make the digital content purchase. &nbsp; I really hope that makes sense... Hi Eric, great to see social media being used for good rather than evil lol. All players benefit from the advantages brought to a game by the CREATOR of that game, this could be the use of a purchased module,&nbsp; benefits of subscription or the selection of a&nbsp; community character sheet for ease of play. The creator can also assign&nbsp; CO-GM 's who have similar although limited power within the game itself but the net gain to all members of a game comes from the initial creator of said game. In short, if you choose to run a purchased module on Roll20 only the person wishing to create that game would need to purchase the module on their account, they wouldn't necessarily have to be the DM of the game but the module would be tied to their account and any benefits that may come from their subscription etc (chief amongst these for modules would be access to dynamic lighting although all modules can be run with free accounts and the Fog of War system if desired). Ok that wasn't any shorter but you get the idea by now right? :) For some bonus information here is a link to a very recent&nbsp; thread discussing how to best utilise Roll20 for face to face gaming , Mod Gold researched and provided links to various other threads on the subject making it a neat way to get the best out of your potential set up.
quick question: once I have invited a person to join and they've accepted, how do I assign to them a character/character sheet?&nbsp; I purchased Lost Mines and I am tinkering before my group's next game day.&nbsp; I am logged into the game as GM, and another player is logged in on her ipad.&nbsp; I can see that she has joined the lobby but cannot figure out how to assign her character to her.

Edited 1473293354
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Eric, Happy to help. She would have to join, enter the game, at least once for you to have the ability to assign the sheet to her. Now the thing is that the creator of the game or the player in question needs to be a plus or pro subscriber for&nbsp; tablet support . Our wiki page on assigning sheets to players that have entered the game at least once is located on our wiki page about&nbsp; character sheets .
Okay... so I was wanting to start up a game for a system not represented, and could not even begin to figure out how to do so. I looked in the WIKI, and couldn't find the answer there. Is there any way I can see how to set up for a totally new system?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
William C. said: Okay... so I was wanting to start up a game for a system not represented, and could not even begin to figure out how to do so. I looked in the WIKI, and couldn't find the answer there. Is there any way I can see how to set up for a totally new system? If it is not represented in any of the drop down menus when creating the game, you will need to list the sheet as none and that will provide the default&nbsp; journal that has only the bio tab and the attribute & ability tab. Now you just create the game like an other game. Load your maps, post your info in the handouts or in the game's forum, etc... That is the only thing that is different from a game that has a community sheet and one that has none. If you are going to list the game in the LFG search then you would have to list it as other and include the system in the title and/or description.
Pat S. said: William C. said: Okay... so I was wanting to start up a game for a system not represented, and could not even begin to figure out how to do so. I looked in the WIKI, and couldn't find the answer there. Is there any way I can see how to set up for a totally new system? If it is not represented in any of the drop down menus when creating the game, you will need to list the sheet as none and that will provide the default&nbsp; journal that has only the bio tab and the attribute & ability tab. Now you just create the game like an other game. Load your maps, post your info in the handouts or in the game's forum, etc... That is the only thing that is different from a game that has a community sheet and one that has none. If you are going to list the game in the LFG search then you would have to list it as other and include the system in the title and/or description. Thank you! Guess that means I'll basically have to have the character sheet as an RTF or DOC or something to send to the players, then.
If you (or someone you know) knows HTML and CSS, you could create your own sheet for it, though that requires a Pro subscription for the game's creator. You can also post a request for the game system you want to use on the character sheet request thread ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1503047/sheet-request-thread-consolidated-mk-i" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1503047/sheet-request-thread-consolidated-mk-i</a> ) and someone else might make one for you.
Is there a way to track my own LFG posts? In the threads or responses I post it says that I'm following that thread, but when I look for them in my profile it says I'm not following anything. I have to go into the LFG tool and find that same post manually if I want to see my posts and it's not always easy.
Jonathan R. said: Is there a way to track my own LFG posts? In the threads or responses I post it says that I'm following that thread, but when I look for them in my profile it says I'm not following anything. I have to go into the LFG tool and find that same post manually if I want to see my posts and it's not always easy. Jonathan you could save the page as bookmark/favorite in your browser.

Edited 1473696889
Hello Roll 20 community, I'm fresh new here (those "playing" hours was gained afk and logged in...). I became very interested in the possibility of disposing some content (like adventures and token packages). I've read (and reread as was correctly requested by Suzanne) the basic rules, I would make some free material, but the "if worth for us to host, worth monetary compensation" politics seems ok too, but kinda raise the bar, if people will drop their cents on my content, I wanna aim Wizards of the Coast Package level (and maybe doesn't make a messy shit package in the first shot, like seems predictable...) Can you good people link me the very best of content making discussions in this forum? I wanna know thinks like: Photoshop, Illustrator ideal formats and dimensions to maps, text and tokens. Writing style better switched for adventures (can i talk many, many details or there's a need to dryly describe each chamber) What's the kind of game is more needed/played/ wanted here (focus on the role play or focus in game?) There's need to more maps, combat and strategy or better plots? (maybe a balanced blend of both, i can't speak for you...) What systems will surely have a selling factor (Are Roll20 rolling 20 in Pathfinder, D&D3E, 4E, 5E? There other beloved systems here? If yes, can you name it all? If not, there's people strongly looking for news? (I'm damn new here, remember...) Can you example (with links and Jpgs if possible) the art quality that you seeking for? (people here are pro demanding or some "Meh, ok" quality tokens make the job?&nbsp; The kind of tokens needed for most people: is it round? Hexagonal? Is it a top view illustration? Side view? 3D orthogonal, isometric&nbsp; view? (a mix of some of that?) The kind of portrait, background art level (and main themes) you want. Again: You need D&D like images or my notebook scan raff can make it (maybe to launch faster and cheaper material)? What do you prefer: More content together, well written, planned and designed or more stuff in a simple way for the cheapest prices? Can you list the top stared Packs (can the community ask for a star ranking of packs and content, it could be anonymous if you want... think will help creators do a better job aiming higher)&nbsp;&nbsp; The adventures most needed is for what level spectrum? Starter (Lvl 1 to 3) Developing (middle levels), or Senior (last levels) Characters? There's need for another whole scenarios (like new worlds) or can i make a puzzle piece map that can be placed in your own favorite/actual world? How much maps and Tokens, in numbers would make you think: "This is a generous pack, and I'm feel happy to buy this material"? (no sh*t, I wanna aim high to reach at least above mediocre in start) There's testing groups (maybe only with GMs..) for materials (maps, tokens, combat strategies and balance) working? (I'll not dispose all material but trouble shooting and bug killing will help a lot!) Can the experienced speak aout what kind map, token, macro setting is needed (I've read something about setting passive perception and "whatevervision" to tokens, clipping them to journal and positioning them automatically in maps. Please, tell me more about these basics and advanced requirements and improvements in the content. What kind of token pack is saturated? Goblin and Kobold packs? (always i think... every one makes them...), Group of Adventurers tokens?&nbsp; &nbsp;What kind of material is wished (or rare)? Colossal purple worms? Manga style characters? Cute-winged-poop-with-aureola-cartoon like images? (or some just unexpected like this...) There's plenty of items that makes the buying boring or some new stuff are always welcome? There's more doubt but i think you get the spirit. Thanks for the help. If there's a proper session and discussions already running on that content, can you please link it? Thanks again ;-)

Edited 1473686678
Hi. I'm new here; another old timer and am writing this because I need some help, please. Played D&D from the very first boxed set w/ only 3 pamphlets by Gary & Dave. No polyhedron dice back then. They hadn't been invented yet. Only 6 siders. I'm a Viet War vet, career military, served in several conflicts over the globe. Like lots of old dinosaurs, I'm not terribly computer savvy, but my wonderful wife is. QUESTION: yesterday I tried to join a guy's "Macro- intro game" Everything went well except for the fact that I could hear him but he could NOT hear me. It was a voice only setting by his choice. I checked the settings in the right side vertical side bar after clicking on the gear wheel. All was in order. Video & voice on. We were using skype through the roll20 game engine (I assume..?). So I diligently went through the Wiki-help section regarding video & voice. Firefox was up to date, the little camera w/ mic was "shared" , I failed to find anything amiss. I asked my wife to take a look at it, hoping her approach, being different from mine, might find the error. She couldn't find anything wrong after following the detailed instructions in the wiki-help. We spent an hour&nbsp; checking things out. The camera & mic works well when we use skype to call our friends. I have terminal cancer now (from agent orange exposure in SE Asia) & have only DMed for younger folks in our mountain home for the past 20 years. I can't find a DM anywhere. I have nothing but time on my hands now, waiting for the grim reaper.... Not very disabled yet, but am not working... I just wanna play the game I've loved for forty years or so. I hope to die with my boots on, rolling for surprise as I kick the bucket. Can someone please help? Can someone volunteer to talk me through it? My wife is pretty good w/ computers but found no error. I REALLY, REALLY want to do something cause I'm sitting around going crazy... I don't play games on line normally, but w/ this Roll20 personal interface, it could be great fun. We could make a modest but reasonable donation if someone could find the error.. (actually we'll probably owe Roll20 a bit of money just because we will get to play with new folks. I haven't been able to play any of my favorite Characters in many years.) Yes, I'm a bit desperate here; gotta get my mind off things. ..... I guess this is an SOS,&nbsp; HELP? Joseph B. email=[redacted]. Skype # = [redacted]. Home phone is [redacted]. Thank you all very much for keeping the old D&D games alive . By the way, I am not a robot....
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Joseph B. said: Hi. I'm new here; another old timer and am writing this because I need some help, please. Hello Joseph. As this is more of an introduction thread and not a bug or technical issue thread, I sent you a pm in reply to your SOS. I will also be editing your post slightly to remove personal information that is not recommended to be posted online.
im very new to these type of games and know very little it just seems like something i would like to try. if anyone is willing to let me join their game and teach me a bit and help me get a feel for the game would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Jesse H. Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Hello there, since I am very new to this platform, if we want to play a game with a group, we just have to go to find a group listings and put our applications upfront, regardless of what type of account that I have, am I right? The next part confuses me though. Since I'm new, my home page is blank. But if I were to get an invitation to join a group, should there be something popping up there? How long do these things take? Have I missed a step somewhere that I can't access to get an invite and play?

Edited 1474228629
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome to Roll20 NSJAy. &nbsp;Anyone, regardless of their&nbsp; subscription level can be a player or host their own game. &nbsp;Plus and Pro both have additional benefits but are not required to play. &nbsp;You will get a notification upper right "envelope" next to your account name, if you receive a Private Message or if a response is made to a post you've created or a thread you have chosen to follow. &nbsp;You can set your account preferences to receive an email as well. "I want to receive emails for site notifications:" &nbsp;Hope this helps. &nbsp;Have fun.
Risking to be asking a question that's answered in the wiki (I'm autistic and I'm having great problems navigating the thing, plus I find it difficult to find the answers I'm looking for, it is weird - or more likely I am weird): I've went through great lengths (over 40h of work in a week) to create a high quality designed inventory for Shadowrun with "trading cards" showing items etc. Everyone's excited, only I am still bothered by something: The background for the inventory is a 1485x16174 image, locally it shows super sharp and crisp. However when I uploaded the thing and did the "set dimensions" edit (which I found in the wiki, yay!) to restore its original size (which I already find disturbing, why is it not just starting off in the original size?), it became somewhat blurry. Triggers my autism, it diminishes my work. &gt;:[ Thanks in advance for any help!
Question: Is advertising a fan-made, free-to-play tabletop RPG system against the Roll20 forums rules? If it is not against the rules, which forum may I use to do it? General On-Topic?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Bruno C. said: Question: Is advertising a fan-made, free-to-play tabletop RPG system against the Roll20 forums rules? If it is not against the rules, which forum may I use to do it? General On-Topic? From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. We usually recommend Reddit as a more appropriate website to discuss off-topic content. However, if you would specifically like to look for a group to play this system with you, feel free to use the Looking for Group forum.
Hi there -&nbsp; New to Roll20 and just started running 5e D&D Mines of Phandelver. &nbsp;I have noticed that when I click on the weapon in a monster character sheet to attack, the roll only goes to me, the GM. &nbsp;Does anyone know if there is a way to change that so the roll is posted to all players? &nbsp;I have looked through all the various tabs etc. &nbsp;but can't seem to find anything. &nbsp;Any help is appreciated.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Ryan H. said: Does anyone know if there is a way to change that so the roll is posted to all players? On the Settings Page , within the&nbsp; General Options section, toggle the Whisper Rolls to GM dropdown.
Found it - thanks! :)
I am very, very, VERY new to tabletop gaming (as in this being my first foray into doing anything beyond watching Critical Role on Youtube lol) and am a bit overwhelmed. Any ideas on where to start educating myself?&nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Welcome to Roll20, Jay To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Hi. &nbsp;Loving Roll20! &nbsp;Am I in the right place for Help & Support? I tried to load a hex grid over 1000 x 1000 units, and my game won't load. &nbsp;It's my "Serpent's Skull" game - big island map. From what I can find, it seems this is something one needs the devs' help to fix? &nbsp;If you could point me in the right direction, it would be awesome. Thanks very much.
emails disappear I have started an attempt at creating a campaign. I have had several interested people, however, after reading their emails the emails seem to disappear, Please help.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Do you mean&nbsp; Private Messages ? &nbsp;
Hello, I have just joined in the last few months and have my first game all set up to start running with a few friends.&nbsp; However, I am having difficulty with voice chat.&nbsp; One of my players and I live in the same house, and are connecting through the same network/IP.&nbsp; Only one of us can be connected with voice chat at the same time.&nbsp; When the second person loads up voice, the first person will lose it.&nbsp; Does any one know if this is an issue caused by us being on the same network?&nbsp; If so is there a way to fix this problem? Or does this sound like a problem caused by other factors?&nbsp; This is the last thing keeping our game from starting.&nbsp; Any help is appreciated.
Hey all, I'm brand new to D&D, even though I'm 33 now and knew about it since I was 5... apparently with maturity came more willingness to do live role-playing.&nbsp; On that note, I have a question about norms or tact in the game.&nbsp; The characters that I'd like to play are loosely based on a number of other media that I follow, like in other stories, tv series or movies.&nbsp; Is it frowned upon at all or tactless to use a character that already exists and has a story that many people know, or should I be focusing my efforts on trying to create a whole new person?&nbsp; For instance, my favorite tv show ever is Supernatural, and despite the inherent danger involved, wouldn't I just LOVE to be one of the Winchester boys.&nbsp; I figured it would be fitting too because of the whole demon hunter aspects and destiny and all.&nbsp; They even seem far set out of their time and would be perfect for a medieval times setting.&nbsp; But I'm wondering if I'm likely to find people scoffing at that idea as unoriginal or something? Also, what would you suggest would be the best way to go about finding a group of newcomers?&nbsp; I don't know anything about recruiting people or finding a DM, so I don't really want to start a new thread in 'find a group', but my attempts thus far to try to apply for many many games has only been responded to by one person (I'm wondering if it somewhat has to do with the character development issue that I mentioned above;).&nbsp; Thanks for any direction. Geoff
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Geoffrey M. said: Hey all, I'm brand new to D&D, even though I'm 33 now and knew about it since I was 5... apparently with maturity came more willingness to do live role-playing.&nbsp; On that note, I have a question about norms or tact in the game.&nbsp; The characters that I'd like to play are loosely based on a number of other media that I follow, like in other stories, tv series or movies.&nbsp; Is it frowned upon at all or tactless to use a character that already exists and has a story that many people know, or should I be focusing my efforts on trying to create a whole new person?&nbsp; For instance, my favorite tv show ever is Supernatural, and despite the inherent danger involved, wouldn't I just LOVE to be one of the Winchester boys.&nbsp; I figured it would be fitting too because of the whole demon hunter aspects and destiny and all.&nbsp; They even seem far set out of their time and would be perfect for a medieval times setting.&nbsp; But I'm wondering if I'm likely to find people scoffing at that idea as unoriginal or something? Also, what would you suggest would be the best way to go about finding a group of newcomers?&nbsp; I don't know anything about recruiting people or finding a DM, so I don't really want to start a new thread in 'find a group', but my attempts thus far to try to apply for many many games has only been responded to by one person (I'm wondering if it somewhat has to do with the character development issue that I mentioned above;).&nbsp; Thanks for any direction. Geoff Hi Geoff! Welcome to the Madness. Some groups are more ok with characters like that than others, but I've found that the game truly comes alive when you create a character that you're truly emotionally invested in. As far as finding a group, the&nbsp; Looking for Group tool comes in handy, as well as having your profile filled out so that GMs know what they're getting. Just be clear about your experience level, and make sure to check for games that have the "Welcomes New Players" enabled, as these games are generally more open to being a teaching environment. Reading your respective game's Player Handbook is also a great place to start brushing up on the rules as well. One thing I've learned in my travels is that not every player meshes well with every group, so don't get disheartened if something isn't meeting your expectations.&nbsp; Another great resource to the players is the&nbsp; Roll20 Wikia . This will contain knowledge to get you started using the roll20 platform.&nbsp; Happy Rolling!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Alison S. said: Hello, I have just joined in the last few months and have my first game all set up to start running with a few friends.&nbsp; However, I am having difficulty with voice chat.&nbsp; One of my players and I live in the same house, and are connecting through the same network/IP.&nbsp; Only one of us can be connected with voice chat at the same time.&nbsp; When the second person loads up voice, the first person will lose it.&nbsp; Does any one know if this is an issue caused by us being on the same network?&nbsp; If so is there a way to fix this problem? Or does this sound like a problem caused by other factors?&nbsp; This is the last thing keeping our game from starting.&nbsp; Any help is appreciated. Hi Alison, you are best making a post in the&nbsp; bug forum for issues like this. Please follow the steps below first and if you still have no joy make a thread in the appropriate forum to ensure you get the help you need :) Carefully work through Steps 1 through 8 of the Roll20 guide to Audio Visual Troubleshooting : Step 1: Make sure you’re using the most recent version of either Chrome or Firefox Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Give Roll20 permission to use your microphone and camera Step 3: Make sure Video and Voice are turned on inside Roll20 Step 4: Clear your Web Browser’s Cache Step 5: Make sure you have the right ports open Step 6: Check if your camera is working with WebRTC Step 7: Check that your camera is functioning Step 8: Do a bandwidth test If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 9 : Step 9: Solving Technical Issues Step 9.2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 9.4: Provide a bug report in a bug forum thread. Please ensure that the Console Log is complete. Thank you!
Hello all- I just bought the Storm King's Thunder module and I am having trouble importing characters from my previous game. I see no option for the character sheet, 5th edition (shaped, legacy)? So I can just enter it in the custom option then? If so how? Thank you