Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Welcome J Dubs, read the advice of the previous posts ( this one is a good one but then again I'm biased) and you'll soon realise that it is never too late and while the tools used have moved on the hobby is still the same. I first came to Roll20 after give or take 20 years since my last game and used it to easily reunite my gaming group of cousins, siblings and uncles of old, we are not entering our 18th month of consistent play and going strong! Many games are happy to accept 'new' (used as a relative term) players, my main advice would be to run through the tutorial and play around in your own test game to acquaint yourself with how the VTT works as that is always a help when trying to get into a game. Remember that there are way more players than DM's in the world and that patience may be required to get into a game, even more to get into a game with a group that fits right for you and your needs but trust me when I say that it is totally worth it. ...And as mid-life crisis' go you couldn't have picked better. At least this is cheap, warm and dry!
Thanks for the kind welcome and reply!

Edited 1467264454
Hello, I'm pretty new to roll20 and am looking to play D&D 5E here with people who really want to play the game. I've been trying to get into a few games but no one seems to respond or notice that I've said anything on the discussion pages or when I PM them I get no response. So maybe there is something I'm missing or lacking that is making people not want to play with me? That is what I'm begining to think after my application got purged by a moderator... I'm not sure, but some guidance would be most appreciated to what it is exactly that I seem to be misunderstanding or lacking.
White said: Hello, I'm pretty new to roll20 and am looking to play D&D 5E here with people who really want to play the game. I've been trying to get into a few games but no one seems to respond or notice that I've said anything on the discussion pages or when I PM them I get no response. So maybe there is something I'm missing or lacking that is making people not want to play with me? That is what I'm begining to think after my application got purged by a moderator... I'm not sure, but some guidance would be most appreciated to what it is exactly that I seem to be misunderstanding or lacking. I don´t think them not responding is due to something you missed. Some GMs are specifically looking for experienced gamers or simply people they have played with before, them not respinding to your inquiries is just unkind. Just keep looking for a group, perhaps for a group that specifically targets entry level players. There are a lot of games out there particularily DnD 5E ones. Good luck!
Bob Ash
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I thought I would try a pre-made module from the Marketplace to run a quick game.  I purchased two: "Knights of Iam" "Adventure Qurterly #5" Both say they are made to play in Roll20 and that they come with maps and tokens. I cannot find a way to load the module for a play session, or find the maps and tokens to use when I click "Purchased" to start a new game with them.  I would appreciate some help on how to use pre-made modules in Roll20. Thanks :-)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Bob A. said: I thought I would try a pre-made module from the Marketplace to run a quick game.  I purchased two: "Knights of Iam" "Adventure Qurterly #5" Both say they are made to play in Roll20 and that they come with maps and tokens. I cannot find a way to load the module for a play session, or find the maps and tokens to use when I click "Purchased" to start a new game with them.  I would appreciate some help on how to use pre-made modules in Roll20. Thanks :-) You go to your  create new game and on the right side you should have your purchased modules listed. You select your module and create your game with all your info added just like a normal game. Many of the modules have a pdf file you can download that contains information.
Bob Ash
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Pat - was missing the link to the Module on the right.  Up and running. :-)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Glad I could help. If you need more help or have a question feel free to post in the specific use forum so many eyes will spot your post right off the bat.

Edited 1467478183
Hi everybody, I´m new to roll20 and want to run a DnD5 game as DM. Currently I am preparing some monsters and want to set some Macros. I´m using the Character Sheet Template: 5th Edition (Community Contributed) <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet</a> this character sheet offers a NPC character sheet. But all Macros I use are send only to the GM. I would like to send some of the results also to the PC. On the Wiki page it says: "For example, by using inline rolls you can easily replicate a single macro to list all the effects and damage a particular monster attack could do in the Actions section of the NPC sheet. The only thing to remember is that should you want to add any line breaks to the description or effect fields be sure to start the new line with "/w GM" (without the quotes) otheriwse the output from the macro will go into the public chat instead of privately to the GM. if you do not use any line breaks in the fields then you do not need to include the "/w GM"" But even without the "/w GM" its send to the GM. My Macro: Attack [[1d20+6]], [[1d20+6]] Dmg [[2d6+4]] Crit [[4d6+4]] What am I doing wrong or should I take a different approach? Thx for the help
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thomas. I think you should repost this in the specific use forum instead in this thread as this thread is more for welcoming new member and explaining the basics of the site. Not many people watch this thread.
how i join games when i don't succeed to sent post for asking to join?
Hey guys I'm brand new here. So I read/followed the tutorial and went through most of the wikis (I did not read every post on here because I don't have the time to go through 13 pages of posts). I may possibly have missed or overlooked this but: I would like to GM a game. I would also like to use the features that are built in (i.e. making my own maps, etc.). The campaign I'm going to run has a lot of maps/locations involved. If I go to start a game, do I have an unlimited amount of time to upload these maps and prepare the game for its run or is it one of those things that if I sign up to GM it'll ask me right away to add people as players?

Edited 1467507966
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
aviad b. said: how i join games when i don't succeed to sent post for asking to join? I'm not understanding what you mean. Can you explain it better or if you need to post in your native language (if English is not it) go ahead as we can google translate it if needed.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Chris J. said: Hey guys I'm brand new here. So I read/followed the tutorial and went through most of the wikis (I did not read every post on here because I don't have the time to go through 13 pages of posts). I may possibly have missed or overlooked this but: I would like to GM a game. I would also like to use the features that are built in (i.e. making my own maps, etc.). The campaign I'm going to run has a lot of maps/locations involved. If I go to start a game, do I have an unlimited amount of time to upload these maps and prepare the game for its run or is it one of those things that if I sign up to GM it'll ask me right away to add people as players? Chris, there is no time limit so take your time to setup your game. I've taken months to get everything readied before clicking on the Looking for Player button in the detail page.&nbsp;

Edited 1467539657
Matt
Plus
Pat S. said: aviad b. said: how i join games when i don't succeed to sent post for asking to join? I'm not understanding what you mean. Can you explain it better or if you need to post in your native language (if English is not it) go ahead as we can google translate it if needed. I think what he's saying is that he applies to join games but is not invited by the GMs. Honestly, this is a problem that will happen frequently, especially if you play a game for which there are few GMs but a lot of people who want to play. As a GM, usually what I look for in a prospective player is someone who has read what I wrote about the campaign and shows an interest in the style or theme of the campaign and has given it some thought or looked into it further. It is also nice if they come up with a decently-developed idea about what they want their role in the game to be and mention that when they apply. Also, be honest about your skill level with the GM. If you're new to a game, look on the LFG page for games that say "Welcomes New Players," rather than games that don't, as they may expect you do know certain things. I also know people who make their own campaign and put on their LFG that they are looking for a GM, but recruiting a GM that way is likely not the best idea since: 1. You may not get any responses, depending on the game, 2. You probably won't be able to determine much about the GM or their play style ahead of time like you could from a normal, GM-posted LFG page, and 3. a game where the GM is not the creator of the game means that that GM will not have access to certain features on the campaign. Most of all, don't be discouraged if you don't get into a game! There are often more players than GMs, so it's almost certainly not personal. If you don't get in, look for other games that might interest you, or try to learn the rules on your own and start your own game as a GM! Best of luck and welcome!
Hello. I'm new to the D&D scene and would like to get into it. Long story short, it was suggested to me that I should try Roll20 for finding people to play D&D with. I saw at the start of this thread that I should fill out my profile; is that all? Just write a novel about what I want and wait? I glanced at the forums and didn't see what looked like a "Introduce yourself" section. And I've avoided the LFG section of the site because I don't feel comfortable just joining a random group of people I haven't even met yet. I've never played D&D, but I'm not unfamiliar with its basic concepts, I'm just uncertain as to how I should go about finding a group to play with. Is filling out my profile and waiting all I need to do? Or is there somewhere I can go to meet and mingle that I've not noticed yet.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Silvador, there is no waiting room. We usually recommend the following: Use the&nbsp; Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! You will have to get comfortable and check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. This is about the only way to find a group. There are some large groups that function as mini-forums for recruitment and they might use the chat room for general chat or they might use something else like skype, discord, or one of the many other messangers programs. You said you've done this already. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play When you are up to some extra reading, we have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!)
I guess the FLG Forum would be my best bet, then. Since I've only ever been a casual observer at best, I wouldn't even know what to look for with the Tool. I'll fix up my profile and go introduce myself at the Forum. Thanks for the link. :D
It looks like most of the campaigns/adventures for D&D 5e are starting from scratch where players will be creating new characters at the onset of session 1. Am I mistaken? Where can you bring your new character after their first few adventures?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Jason, details like that are purely at the DM's discretion. Applying to join games that have a starting level similar to an existing character of yours and then liaising with the DM to see if you can import your character would be your best bet (you can either use the character vault which is a&nbsp; plus user perk , or simply retype your character up in the new game!). In some cases the low level one-shots can act as interviews for a longer term game the DM is planning too which would be a good way to establish a higher level character in a new game. The key is finding the right group and talking to the DM, keep your eye on the LFG listings as they have a myriad of options available daily.
טעיתם&nbsp; אני רושם מתחת באפשרות להצטרף אבל רול20&nbsp; שולח לי הודעה שחסר&nbsp; 2 דברים&nbsp; בשביל שהבקשה תשלח והgm יקבל אותה
Silvyre
Forum Champion
aviad b. said: אבל רול20&nbsp; שולח לי הודעה שחסר&nbsp; 2 דברים What's the message that Roll20 is sending you, and what are the two things that are missing?
I have no I des what I am doing and because I am on my phone I cannot watch the tutorial so I have lots of questions like how do I make a character sheet? How do I join a game? And just what am I doing ?
*sorry idea
While trying the tutorial I am unable to drag anything from the "Art Library" tab.&nbsp; In fact, my view seems different than the one on the Wiki page for the Art Library : When I try to drag one of these icons onto the grid it just highlights the window.&nbsp; This happens to me in both Firefox and Chrome (I'm running Ubuntu 16.04).&nbsp; I've already tried clearing my browser cache and my only extension (adblocker) doesn't run on this domain.&nbsp; How do I get this to work? Thanks for any help!

Edited 1468443963
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Michael W. said: While trying the tutorial I am unable to drag anything from the "Art Library" tab.&nbsp; In fact, my view seems different than the one on the Wiki page for the Art Library : When I try to drag one of these icons onto the grid it just highlights the window.&nbsp; This happens to me in both Firefox and Chrome (I'm running Ubuntu 16.04).&nbsp; I've already tried clearing my browser cache and my only extension (adblocker) doesn't run on this domain.&nbsp; How do I get this to work? Thanks for any help! We just rolled out a complete revamp of the library system this morning. We'll be updating the tutorial ASAP but for now that section isn't working.
Hi All Jason here. I new to Roll20 and happy to see there is a community like this out there. I have to say I am a bit of a newb to D&D I used to play when I was younger with the D&D Basic set. I still have the books and remember the red box came with a crayon that I had to use to colour in the dice lol. I always enjoyed creating the story, villans etc and still revisit this from time to time drawing maps and creating dungeons and the story to go along with it. Ideally in time I would love to be a DM but need to learn to play again. I am in my late 30s so looking for a mature group of players that patient as I begin to pick things up again. I know the basics and believe I have the 5th Edtion at home but I honestly found it a bit overwealming when I picked that up for a read. I am from New Zealand so evenings that fit AUS/NZ times work for me. Firstly though I need go through the Roll20 tutorial. Enjoy your hack and slashings
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Welcome Jason, I too returned to the hobby after some time and if it wasn't for Roll20 I wouldn't have spent the best part of 18 months trying desperately to thwart my players every attempt to destroy my carefully constructed plot! As you seem to have read the advice in the OP (do the tutorial etc) I would encourage you to fully flesh out your profile to make it easier for DM's of games you apply to to have a better idea of the person behind the account. After that the LFG (looking for group) forum or the 'find a group' tool found in the games dropdown in the top menu will be your best friend in finding those special people to share your time with :) As a general rule there are a lot more players out there than DM's so I always suggest patience when applying as you may not always get in, especially for the more popular systems, to that end I encourage one shot games too, they are a great way to network and learn the nuances of a new system, or just hone your skills in a familiar one and can often lead to longer term games. As you are NZ based there is also a group set up dedicated to your timezone which may be worth checking out to find more likeminded people who can play at suitable times for you:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/9884/australia-and-new-zealand-tavern-raiders-association" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/9884/australia-and-new-zealand-tavern-raiders-association</a> Most of all, have fun!
I am thinking about starting a game soon and I want to use some music from Shadowrun Hong Kong to set the mood for this game. But there is no option to upload from my hard drive as far as I can tell. Is the option hidden away somewhere? Is it soundcloud only?&nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Tyler, usually specific questions are asked in the main specific forum not in the welcome to roll20 thread but to answer your question, it is soundcloud only.
I'm not sure where to ask this and I didn't want to bump my thread again but could a mod please edit my thread title If possible?&nbsp; Here's a link to the thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3674449/lfg-lfp-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3674449/lfg-lfp-</a>... I think it would be better if you removed the 18+ DnD WEG and Session 0 tags and put in Interest Check instead. Thank you.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Aaron P. said: I'm not sure where to ask this and I didn't want to bump my thread again but could a mod please edit my thread title If possible?&nbsp; Here's a link to the thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3674449/lfg-lfp-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3674449/lfg-lfp-</a>... I think it would be better if you removed the 18+ DnD WEG and Session 0 tags and put in Interest Check instead. Thank you. Done!
Hi, I'm a cripplingly shy person who nonetheless really wants to get into roleplaying games. I have a cursory knowledge of a few systems but I'm otherwise a total noob, and I was wondering if anyone could set me on the right path to finding a game? I actually have interest in GMing but I think I should play before I take that plunge ^^; Thanks in advance for any advice!
Check out the lfg thread, GrayKnight. I'd also suggest maybe checking for games that say they're open to new players. Other then that I would think about what sort of settings you like or find interesting and focus on them while looking through threads.
Hey there! I'm new as new can be to tabletop gaming. I've never actually played any, or seen any being played (unless you include when they play on Big Bang Theory), but for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to. Unfortunately I've never been able to find a group or get the materials for it, a combination of having no money and social anxiety played a dab hand there. Even now, after finding this site that will actually allow me to finally try tabletop gaming, I find myself struggling to actually find a group because it means interacting with strangers, but I'm trying anyway. From what I've read, the best bet for me would be to find newbie friendly one shots to get used to the gameplay and perhaps find people to play with in a full game by making friends. A question though, to alleviate my anxiety, what do you think the chances are of finding someone to act as a sort of 'mentor' role to guide me through things and help get me comfortable?
Hi all totaly new to Roll 20 would like to play some old scholl D&D
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Valian T. said: Hey there! I'm new as new can be to tabletop gaming. I've never actually played any, or seen any being played (unless you include when they play on Big Bang Theory), but for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to. Unfortunately I've never been able to find a group or get the materials for it, a combination of having no money and social anxiety played a dab hand there. Even now, after finding this site that will actually allow me to finally try tabletop gaming, I find myself struggling to actually find a group because it means interacting with strangers, but I'm trying anyway. From what I've read, the best bet for me would be to find newbie friendly one shots to get used to the gameplay and perhaps find people to play with in a full game by making friends. A question though, to alleviate my anxiety, what do you think the chances are of finding someone to act as a sort of 'mentor' role to guide me through things and help get me comfortable? Hi Valian, welcome to the site! It sounds as though you've read and heeded the&nbsp; OP which is a fine start. As you rightly say, getting into one shots initially is a great place to start learning how games work and trying out new systems to see which fits best with your playing style. As for mentors... again you are best starting with one shots and 'networking', many DM/GM's are happy to take new players under their wings (some of them are polymorphed dragons and technically DO have wings!) and show them the ropes... other games are specifically for that! Keep an eye out for the Color Animal Inn in the LFG forums, it is specifically geared towards introducing new players to the Pathfinder system which is a simplified off shoot of the D&D 3.5e system (ok that is a simplified description of it but you get the idea...). As for anxiety around strangers, trust me that doesn't last long. But to get started there are text only games which are generally a bit slower but much more immersive and easier to have your say in when there are some 'strong' personalities in the game. Just remember, the more you play, the more contacts you make and the more people you find who play well together... and then the golden group is formed and everything is amazing! Good luck and may all your rolls be criticals! Barry E. said: Hi all totaly new to Roll 20 would like to play some old scholl D&D Hi Barry and welcome, you've certainly come to the right place, take a look at the&nbsp; OP to get started. Once you are ready to go you can narrow your LFG searches by the particular systems you are interested in :)
Thanks very much Ziekale, the information is much appreciated, though after looking around, it does lead me to one simple question; how does one determine a one-shot campaign?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No problem, there are so many kind and helpful people in this community I'm just surprised I got in there first :) To find one shots you need to head on over to the ' Find a Group ' section under the 'Games' drop down at the top of your screen and click to show the 'advanced options': In there you can refine your search even further specifically in this case by selecting to view games that are to be played only 'once': For further info the&nbsp; wiki section&nbsp; related to LFG is a great place to start :)
Ah right, thank you! I can't believe I missed that. Probably too busy looking for 'One-Shot' itself.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Welcome to the learning curve! ;)
Hi, I'm relatively new to roll20. I have a Decipher Star Trek RPG that I run, But there is no character sheet for it. &nbsp; My question is, in a Macro, how would you write out the formula to roll 2d6 and when the result is 12 add another d6, then add the skill rank?&nbsp;
New to Roll20 but not RPG's. &nbsp;Just wondering if I want to set up a game without advertising for players, as the game world needs to be made first, can you do this. &nbsp;Or do you automatically advertise for new game the moment you set one up.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Richard C., your question is a little more complex than can be answered in what is essentially a "Hi, where do I find help on ____?" thread.&nbsp;&nbsp; If you re-post your question as a new thread in the Specific Use Questions forum, I suspect you'll quickly get a lot of help. :) Michael H., games do not auto-advertise, you have to enable a LFG Listing for your game to join the others in the LFG Tool.&nbsp; This will also generate a separate Listing Discussion forum just for those potentially interested in your game. As a bonus, anyone who posts to your game's Listing Discussion forum will have a big blue button by their username and all a GM has to is click 'Invite to Game' and an invitation will be sent their way. Hope this helps!&nbsp; Happy gaming!
Hi, I recently signed up for the $10 a month plan but the special effects don't seem to be working. They worked initially but for the past day they have not. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited 1470710237
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Dipset, can you post your problem in the&nbsp; bug forums so we can focus on it better? This thread is more for "Hello. I'm new here. How do I use roll20 to play a game" type of posts. The bug forum is where we work on member's problems with roll20 usage such as features not working properly or at all.
Hi, I am new to Roll20 and the world of D&D. As of right now I haven't played any online games as I don't know where to start? I bought the 5e starter kit the other day and have gone over the rules. Have a feeling I will have to go over them again. Any guidance would be appreciated! Looking forward to playing my first online game soon I hope. Thank you&nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Brian S. said: Hi, I am new to Roll20 and the world of D&D. As of right now I haven't played any online games as I don't know where to start? I bought the 5e starter kit the other day and have gone over the rules. Have a feeling I will have to go over them again. Any guidance would be appreciated! Looking forward to playing my first online game soon I hope. Thank you&nbsp; Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
There is so much to Roll20.net that I do not know and do not know how to find. &nbsp;I have made a&nbsp;game that is a modified version of the boardgame Blurt, which I plan to invite some non-native speakers of English to play (for free) &nbsp;with me as moderator, in order to help them increase their vocabulary and improve their pronunciation. &nbsp;How many players can play a board game on Roll20.net at one time? &nbsp;If I post an invitation on a language learning forum (italki) that I am part of, I have no idea how many people could respond. &nbsp;Can I somehow set a limit on the number of players when I create the game? &nbsp;Or is it advisable to just be very selective about who is given an invitation link? &nbsp; How many players is unwieldy for a game? (Blurt can be played in teams and the original game is for 3 to 12 players.) &nbsp; If anyone comfortable with Roll20.net would like to playtest the game and give me suggestions about changes I would appreciate it (although I would not want a native speaker of English to compete against a non-native speaker.)