Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
William H. said: Hello all- I just bought the Storm King's Thunder module and I am having trouble importing characters from my previous game. I see no option for the character sheet, 5th edition (shaped, legacy)? So I can just enter it in the custom option then? If so how? Thank you Hello William. If you go to the games detail page and click on the settings button, you will get the drop down menu that has game settings listed. Click on that and it will take you to the page that has the character sheet menu which will allow you to choose your character sheets:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Choosing_" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Choosing_</a>...
Exactly. Which doesnt allow the 5e (shaped,legacy), which I am using in my other game.

Edited 1476022196
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ah, I now understand what you are meaning. You should be able to as the customization of sheet is allowed with the SKT. All you would need is the HTML and CSS ( <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/5eShaped_legacy" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/5eShaped_legacy</a>) while just pasting it into the appropriate fields. If you are not familar with how to do custom sheets here is our wiki page about it:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Advanced_Character_Sheet_Usage" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Advanced_Character_Sheet_Usage</a>

Edited 1476030113
But if you switch the sheet, the monsters and NPCs included with SKT will all need to be manually updated to the characters sheet you choose. The creators of the Shaped sheet are working on making a conversion process from the 5e OGL Sheet to the current (non-Legacy) Shaped sheet. Read the sheet's documentation here: <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yPcIZ_bIc3JlnWsKZt2tAB0EQSIVEfeMtT0GifbpJIg" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yPcIZ_bIc3JlnWsKZt2tAB0EQSIVEfeMtT0GifbpJIg</a>
Hello I wonder if there is a way to find my own forumpost? I have replied on a few game applications and started a new topic, but when I go my profile I can't seem to find where I posted thoose replies since I didn't press follow this post, and they are not listed under "topics" or replies. And I'm a bit unsure where I posed them since I looked around a lot on the LFG!&nbsp; Any help would be appriated! Thanks
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Avenger, if the forum post was in a game forum, not the general community forums like here, it is not tracked as game forums are considered private. Your best shot would be to check your browser history if you are remember the day or time.
Allo, Im Serge and i have absolutely no clue what im doing. I have always been interested in playing D&D type games but have never had any such luck with actually getting the chance to due to the area where i live in either not having people who play or they are very well hidden. However i used to play Warhammer 40k, that being my introduction and what really peaked my interest in tabletop gaming. I've strictly been playing roguelikes and similar RPG games that have the same basic elements over the course of the last year or two but i believe i have exhausted the joy i get out of them. So i would like to play something more in depth. Im really interested in playing cyberpunk or something cyberpunk esque but really i just want to play something. So if anyone could give me an introduction or just toss me into a game to figure things out that would be really neat. Thank you in advance.
How easy is it to set up Roll20 for indie games? I and a few friends are interested in using it for a Transformers RPG that's a WIP and it's a D100 set up. I ask because I want to use Roll20 while I stream on Twitch since all involved are a distance from each other.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Worst case scenario, you have all the facilities you'd have at an in person game. Dice, maps, handouts of text, etc.&nbsp; Best case, you can streamline many of the standard rolls with macros.&nbsp; With the API (pro level perk), you can do just about anything for game mechanics and automation. &nbsp;If you haven't already, I suggest going through the tutorial, it should give you a solid grounding in the fundamental facilities of Roll20.
Hi, I'm new to this website and somewhat new to D&D. id like to start a new group and have a few questions. is the tag explaining what my preferences and expectations and such are? or would i type that into the title? I need to know because I need to explain experience levels and such, like i said i havnt been playing d&d for a long time and would need to tell the players about the group id want to be running, i just thought id see a description option so it would be nice if i knew a little more before i jump right into things. thanks. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;
Hey, brand new to all of this. what are the main things I need, to get started? how do I find a group?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Bean said: Hey, brand new to all of this. what are the main things I need, to get started? how do I find a group? Welcome Bean. &nbsp;Have you read the opening post? &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1693101/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1693101/</a> Great place to start. &nbsp;
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Gage A. said: Hi, I'm new to this website and somewhat new to D&D. id like to start a new group and have a few questions. is the tag explaining what my preferences and expectations and such are? or would i type that into the title? I need to know because I need to explain experience levels and such, like i said i havnt been playing d&d for a long time and would need to tell the players about the group id want to be running, i just thought id see a description option so it would be nice if i knew a little more before i jump right into things. thanks. &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Tags are used to help you filter your own games. &nbsp;Once you create a game you will have multiple options. &nbsp;You can also "Create a Listing" if you want to Look for a Group to play your specific game. &nbsp;Your game will then appear in the&nbsp; LFG listings . &nbsp;If you just want to find a group to play with, it's best to either post in the&nbsp; LFG forum , or try to join a game as a player using the LFG listings.
Vince said: The Bean said: Hey, brand new to all of this. what are the main things I need, to get started? how do I find a group? Welcome Bean. &nbsp;Have you read the opening post? &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1693101/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/1693101/</a> Great place to start. &nbsp; Yes I have, but Im still unsure about if I should buy a starter set or buy stuff individually? Just looking for reccomendations ig. I know nothing about tabletop rpgs..
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The beauty of Roll20 is that you don't need &nbsp;to buy anything to get started. Ever more so since some of the more popular systems all have free online SRD content. You could easily learn the basics of 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons, 3.5 edition of the same (if you simply love rules and math!) or Pathfinder... and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Most DM's are kindly folk who will take fledgling players under their wing and teach them how to play too. Once you have found your favourite system then you can start to look at buying the relevant materials if you desire. As a 'player' though this isn't even that necessary :) Follow the steps in the OP as suggested by Vince and you'll soon be up and running in no time at all. Also check out some of the systems with a basic search on the internet to see which may take your fancy and then maybe check out some youtube videos of others playing those systems to see if you still like the idea of them... then get applying for games and have fun! Also, have patience, it can take a little while to get into a game (supply and demand and all that) and even longer to find the RIGHT group for you... but take heart, that golden group is out there somewhere I promise!!
Hello, I recently signed up for a Pro account and made my first game however I don't see it in the Find a Group directory. I've even tried signing out assuming maybe it doesn't show up when logged in because I made it. I've refined the search a few ways but still can't see my game posting. Is there some delay for games to appear on the Find a Group directory or am I missing something?
Daniel H. said: Hello, I recently signed up for a Pro account and made my first game however I don't see it in the Find a Group directory. I've even tried signing out assuming maybe it doesn't show up when logged in because I made it. I've refined the search a few ways but still can't see my game posting. Is there some delay for games to appear on the Find a Group directory or am I missing something? It now appears! I'm guessing there is a delay.
Hi, I'm pretty new to D&D and I'm working on a small starter game for 5th edition but I've run into a little problem that I was hoping to get some help with. First, a bit of basic info. I'm using the 5th edition OGL character sheet. The problem is this: I'm trying to make a macro in the action section of the npc sheet to give my goblin enemy an ability where they attack twice using a certain ability but get a -2 to hit on both attacks. Is this possible? If it is, how would I do this and, if it isn't, can you recommend any workaround for something like this?

Edited 1478045224
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, DarkPhoenixNinja92 . For future reference, a better place to ask this question would be within the Character Sheets forum . One possibility is adding a&nbsp; Drop-Down Roll Query to the "TO HIT" field of each relevant action. e.g. TO HIT: 4 ?{Attack twice?|No, |Yes, -2 [Special Ability] }
hi everyone, total newb to table top rpgs here, just wondering is there any thing i need to have to start playing? are there any good tutorials for a total beginner like me to learn the ropes and i would like to know if there are any big etiquette rules to abide by for TTRPGS to make playing more enjoyable. Thanks in advance
Hey team I'm really new to all this, but keen to get into a game. have started filling out my profile, what to i put in "enjoy playing" and "actively seeking" since i have just about no idea what im doing. I've heard and read facinating things about various systems to i just put preferences in those spots? really excited to join the fun, its just daunting trying to find a way in considering how new i am. thanks and i look forward to the adventure,
Hello everyone. I must admit I'm not here to find or play any games at this particular point in my life as I'm far too busy with university, which is why I'm here. For one of my university assignments I'm designing an app based around Tabletop RPGs and thought the Roll20 community might be able to assist me with this by filling out a short survey I've created for purposes of collecting data. I'm not exactly sure which subforum is appropriate for posting this (If any) and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? My thanks in advance :)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Aaron P. said: hi everyone, total newb to table top rpgs here, just wondering is there any thing i need to have to start playing? are there any good tutorials for a total beginner like me to learn the ropes and i would like to know if there are any big etiquette rules to abide by for TTRPGS to make playing more enjoyable. Thanks in advance The beauty of TTRPGs is that you don't really need &nbsp;anything. Your best bet to get up and running is to heed the&nbsp; advice of the OP and begin applying for games. I would initially advise looking for one-shots, these are single session games that are great for introducing yourself to the community and experiencing a variety of systems to find the one you like. Once you know that you can begin to purchase books etc to enhance your learning/enjoyment. As for etiquette, just the same as normal society. Be polite, communicate in a respectful and conscientious manner and if for any reason you are unable to attend a session, let the DM know in enough time to account for your absence... it really is that easy :) I also always preach the virtue of patience, there are only a finite number of people who give up their free time to run games for others, total strangers in some regards! These people are heroes and have to filter through many applications for every game, don't be disappointed if you don't get in, just keep applying and eventually that golden group will embrace you and give you a hobby for life! Anand H. said: Hey team I'm really new to all this, but keen to get into a game. have started filling out my profile, what to i put in "enjoy playing" and "actively seeking" since i have just about no idea what im doing. I've heard and read facinating things about various systems to i just put preferences in those spots? really excited to join the fun, its just daunting trying to find a way in considering how new i am. thanks and i look forward to the adventure, As you seem to have already read the OP take a look at my advice above for getting involved, great to have you with us :)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Anima K. said: Hello everyone. I must admit I'm not here to find or play any games at this particular point in my life as I'm far too busy with university, which is why I'm here. For one of my university assignments I'm designing an app based around Tabletop RPGs and thought the Roll20 community might be able to assist me with this by filling out a short survey I've created for purposes of collecting data. I'm not exactly sure which subforum is appropriate for posting this (If any) and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? My thanks in advance :) These forums are only really for discussion about the use of Roll20 itself, for general RPG type questions I would highly recommend using reddit and it's various rpg based subforums, based on previous things of this nature you'll get more than enough data :) /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/ADND /r/Pathfinder_RPG /r/savageworlds /r/shadowrun /r/swrpg /r/40krpg /r/warhammerfantasyrpg /r/WhiteWolfRPG /r/LFG /r/gamemasters
Hello, I just started using this site and I was trying to find some tutorial videos that I saw when I first sign in, but now those videos are no where to be seen. I started a new game, was playing around with the tools and went back to the home page but the tutorial videos didn't show up and now I can't find them anywhere. My brother signed in to site and he has the videos and some "welcome to..." text that I don't. Am I forever locked out of these tutorial vids just because I started clicking around some? Can someone help me here?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Adam, welcome to Roll20 :) There are a number of videos throughout the&nbsp; wiki , the&nbsp; Introduction to Toptop RPGs page for example has a number of entry level videos (please note that due to the rapid development of the site some of these videos may be slightly out of date...).
How do I make a character?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Balthazar Vildon said: How do I make a character? Welcome Balthazar. Character creation is generally done in game as the DM may have house rules, setting specific requirements or other such important information they want to relay to their players. They will also have selected the sheet that they want to use, if any. That being said, there is literally nothing... nothing i say... stopping you from creating a game to mess around in. You'll be able to set the&nbsp; community sheet desired and create characters to your hearts content. Play more than one system regularly? Why just start a few 'test' or 'character creation' games with the various sheets and make your characters there :) With a plus level subscription you can even export these characters to your personal vault for importing into games at a later date too! Check out the&nbsp; wiki for a wealth of information.
Ziechael said: Anima K. said: Hello everyone. I must admit I'm not here to find or play any games at this particular point in my life as I'm far too busy with university, which is why I'm here. For one of my university assignments I'm designing an app based around Tabletop RPGs and thought the Roll20 community might be able to assist me with this by filling out a short survey I've created for purposes of collecting data. I'm not exactly sure which subforum is appropriate for posting this (If any) and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? My thanks in advance :) These forums are only really for discussion about the use of Roll20 itself, for general RPG type questions I would highly recommend using reddit and it's various rpg based subforums, based on previous things of this nature you'll get more than enough data :) /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/ADND /r/Pathfinder_RPG /r/savageworlds /r/shadowrun /r/swrpg /r/40krpg /r/warhammerfantasyrpg /r/WhiteWolfRPG /r/LFG /r/gamemasters Thanks for your help, I'm sure this will come in handy :)
Hi. I have been sing Roll20 off and on for about a year now, it's only been in the last, say about 6 months, I've collected my thoughts and figured out how to get started with the VTT. &nbsp;I play with players locally and have a TV laid horizontally with Roll20 as the virtual board, occasionally I have a remote play join in with the local players... it all works really well. &nbsp; I was a subscriber for a while ther, (stopped because the group got busy and looked like it wasn't going to get started again) I really liked the Dynamic lighting feature! really easy to use. Getting to my real question is; Is there anywhere to find information about Macros for the person who has no idea what they are, how they work and the best ways to use them? &nbsp;I see heaps of forums about the best way to use a certain macro or creating one for a specific use, thats cool but usually its a bunch of code and I'm only new to the coding world. &nbsp;it'd be great if I could get info on the basic structure of a macro and how to build something within roll20. cheers for any assistance.. -Taoist-Water
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hey Jake, I think the&nbsp; Wiki would have what you are looking for. You didn't specify what game system you use but if you look on the right side there is many system guides and below it have tips and tricks links.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll be "that guy" lot's of "Roll20 macros" videos here:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/results?q=roll20+macros&sp=CAE%253D" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/results?q=roll20+macros&sp=CAE%253D</a>
k cool
I passed the tutorial, but this is still not quite clear for me if Roll20 is a good tool to create: 1) Turn-based board game; 2) 2-4 players; 3) Each player one-by-one rolls the dice (d6) and moves on the map (from 1 to 6 steps) - could it be done automatically?; 4) Depending on the result tile, the card from one of the 4 custom decks (or rollable table?) should be opened; 5) Opening of each card gives player additional points (without moving on the table).
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrey L. said: I passed the tutorial, but this is still not quite clear for me if Roll20 is a good tool to create: 1) Turn-based board game; Absolutely. &nbsp;Use the map layer. &nbsp;Either import images and/or use the basic drawing tools. 2) 2-4 players; Virtually, no limit to the number of players allowed. &nbsp;This will really depend on the complexity of your game. &nbsp;Things like map size, number of tokens and images on the screen, virtual lighting, 3d dice, API scripts, size of character sheets, individual computer specs and connections, etc. &nbsp; 3) Each player one-by-one rolls the dice (d6) and moves on the map (from 1 to 6 steps) - could it be done automatically?; Rolling dice is a cinch and everyone has access to do so. &nbsp;Moving tokens automatically based of a dice roll is probably possible, but it would have to be done using API scripting which is a Pro level benefit. &nbsp;Lots of programming wizards on Roll20 to help in such endeavors.&nbsp; 4) Depending on the result tile, the card from one of the 4 custom decks (or rollable table?) should be opened; This is probably possible using a rollable table. &nbsp;I believe you'll have to manually select cards. 5) Opening of each card gives player additional points (without moving on the table). AFAIK, cards are merely images and cannot affect other elements of roll20 (tokens, character journals, etc.) &nbsp;This also would need to be handled manually or possibly thru the API and rollable tables. Hope this helps. &nbsp;Cheers

Edited 1480940867
hello i want to start by saying sorry i have dislexia ok not thats out the way XD im new to all of this i looking at d&d 5e i have some clus what i want to be is there anying one willing to help me out?
There is so much information, seems overwhelming for a new player. Even in the "new player friendly" games all people who apply look like they know what they are doing. So, you need to have played for at least some time in order to join a game.&nbsp; Where am I supposed to play before that?
Hello, I am having a problem with rolling. My rolls look very different from those of my companions. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Edited 1481674232
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
It looks like your companions are using the&nbsp; roll template associated with a character sheet. &nbsp;What game/character sheet are you using? Also you can access roll20's default template for your macros anytime regardless of the sheet. &nbsp;Use inline rolls ie [[1d20]] Default roll template example&nbsp; &{template:default} {{name=Perception }} {{Check=[[ 2d10+1 ]] }} Many character sheets have custom roll templates built into them. &nbsp;So instead of &{template:default} it may be something like&nbsp;&{template:pf_generic} &nbsp;Check the Help wiki for sheet guides or ask in the forums. &nbsp;Cheers&nbsp;
How do I make the list of "recently used macros" to go away? Every time i click on a token a transparent list of all my recently used macros appears and blocks most of the screen. Thanks!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I believe what you are referring to are the&nbsp; Token Action macros that display along the top of the screen when selecting a linked token. &nbsp;IFAIK there isn't a dynamic list of "recently used" Token Actions... &nbsp;The Token Action bar does show a list of all Token Actions from the Attributes and Abilities tab of the linked character/journal. &nbsp;You can select which token actions are displayed by setting the "Show as Token Action" checkbox found for each action. &nbsp;You can also rearrange token actions by dragging them by there handle. &nbsp;There is also a "Alphabetically Sort Token Actions" option under My Settings from the sidebar. &nbsp;Appologies if I misunderstood your plight. &nbsp;Cheers

Edited 1481832698
Silvyre
Forum Champion
To add, if you did not set up those Token Actions yourself, then your GM did. Vince said: You can also rearrange token actions by dragging them by there handle. You're thinking of Macro Bar buttons here, Vince.

Edited 1481834625
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: To add, if you did not set up those Token Actions yourself, then your GM did. Vince said: You can also rearrange token actions by dragging them by there handle. You're thinking of Macro Bar buttons here, Vince. Good point. &nbsp;Not to mention that some token actions are created from character sheets as well, which you cannot delete. Isn't this to rearrange the Token Actions Bar?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Vince said: Isn't this to rearrange the Token Actions Bar? Not reliably , which is why the ability to alphabetically sort Token Actions was added.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: Not reliably , which is why the ability to alphabetically sort Token Actions was added. Yep, there's been a long time bug where including token actions from the sidebar's Collections macros list causing insanity. ;-(
Ehm, very new here, not new to rpgs, but has been doing a whole bunch of GM'ing but not much playing. Has been working on my own rpg system which is founded on the idea of it being fast to play, not bogging the time down with lots of rolls and .... hopefully not with too many decisions either in battle. Currently, i was instead working on a mission-based wargame that touches on rpgs, and one online that had anounced interest to testplay, asked if i could make it playable here on Roll20. I assume it is possible, but even though i understand some things easily, i sometimes "get stupid" and has to ask for help. This may be one of those cases. I'll guess i'll continue with the tutorial (i'm good at graphics), and i guess the rest will fall in place as i continue. Still, advice, comments and suggestions are welcome.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome to the show Kim. &nbsp;The roll20's&nbsp; Help Wiki and these forums should cover any pitfalls you may encounter. &nbsp;Have fun. &nbsp;Cheers.