Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

I would like to join a game I am new to this I can play anytime during the week I played along time ago would love yo join a game i can play any where between mon-fri and 8 am till 8 pm  

Edited 1491600420
Is there a good way to get matching tilesests? I'm mostly having trouble finding good wall tiles, and finding doors which fit with other tiles. They're all sort of floating in midair right now.
Hello!  I am an old D&D player from way back.  My son is now 12 and just found D&D himself but has never played.  What I am looking for is a module I can purchase that will give me everything I need to DM for my son. Just an introduction to gaming - nothing fancy.  Level 1 stuff for a single adventurer.   Does such a thing exist?  If so please point me to it so I don't have to scan the whole store.  Thanks in advance.  Risden
Hey, i'm a long time player and i'm looking to try my hand at Dming. But i have no budget for token packs, map packs, and such. Anything that can give me a leg up? Map sites, Token sites, and such? I'm currently between jobs, and once i get my income flowing again i plan on getting a pro upgrade and stuff like that.
Hello, I am a long time player (about 25 years), but I'm new to Roll20. I'm pretty open to the campaign setting, I have played lots and lots of systems. I'd like to find a game because my local group disbanded a few years ago and I can't seem to find anyone else local. My schedule is pretty open, but I would prefer to play Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 10 PM roughly, and I don't pay to play, at least not to start.
Hello! I am a brand-spankin' new player that has never ever played any sort of tabletop RPG, but I've been itching to get into the game. I joined this site almost a year ago and still haven't joined any games partly because I forgot this website exists, but also because I have crippling anxiety when it comes to breaking out of my comfort zone. That being said, hearing about how much fun the D&D group on my campus has, I want to try my hand at D&D5E with some nice people who wouldn't mind helping a newbie learn the ropes.
I have experience playing D&D and Pathfinder, and I'm sure that I would be able to get a grasp on playing on a virtual table top using your introductory videos. My only problem is where exactly do I fill out my character sheets. Do I create my character on paper then transfer it somewhere once I join a group?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Jay M. said: I have experience playing D&D and Pathfinder, and I'm sure that I would be able to get a grasp on playing on a virtual table top using your introductory videos. My only problem is where exactly do I fill out my character sheets. Do I create my character on paper then transfer it somewhere once I join a group If you join a group, the GM of the game will assign you a character sheet which you can edit.  You can create your own game and fill out sheet's as well.  Each game system includes one or more sheets to choose from.  Typically there is only one sheet per system, but some systems (ie D&D5e and Pathfinder) may offer multiple sheets.  You can create your own character and then if a GM allows it, import your character into their game.  Have fun.

Edited 1493056197
mpg
Pro
Hi there, I'm interested in possibly joining a group for AD&D 1e or 2e, or to learn Dungeon Crawl Classic. I used to play many years ago but I might as well be considered a total beginner at this point. I have no characters rolled or anything, all I have is some old books, a bunch of polyhedrons, a pencil and notebook, and a desire to play at least once a month, or every two weeks, ideally. I'm in Chicago, send me a PM if you want to train a nooblord or play via Hangouts or whatever.
Hello Newby here, I got a mail to join a campaign. When I click the link, it always goes to a page that says 'unautorized'. I don't find the game in 'my games'. I see that I have a notification but I can't open it. &nbsp;I tried to contact the person that invited me through the players directory, but apparently I found a wrong Michael B. So I'm stuck. How can I accept my invite? Mail : Hello there! You've been invited by Michael B. to join the game "D&D - Storm King's Thunder" on Roll20! To accept the invitation, just click the link below: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/accept_invite/694631/HxcDisIn" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/accept_invite/694631/HxcDisIn</a> Roll20 is a free way to play tabletop games (like pen and paper RPGs) online. If you don't already have a Roll20 account, you'll be asked to take a quick moment to create one. Once you do, you'll join the game! Thanks, The Roll20 Team Hyperlink goes to this page: Notification:
Does anyone have any tips for finding a group that works well with you for DnD (5E)? I'd rather not just pick at random, as I'm completely new and hate to disappoint people. However I'm not entirely sure how to go about researching which group to pick- at base they all just sort of look the same to me browsing through the list, with a few minor differences. Incidentally I'm preparing as much as I'm feasibly able to, and already have the basis of a character written up (though I may have to modify it depending on the group, seeing as its a dragonborn atm, and it's history/point of view is somewhat tied to that - I'm someone who's drawn more to a race the less human it looks, can't help it xp). However no amount of preparation can prevent the unseen. So I want to make sure I pick the right group. Hopping in the first one I see that seems welcome to new players doesn't seem like the best idea to me.. I suppose I could also look at the character bios of every single person who's been accepted into groups, but that would both likely take to long and be considered a bit much by some people- even if they are public. So, I feel like I need a way to be more sure that the group I join doesn't end in disaster- a new player only campaign/new player training campaign or some-such would work, or a already established group looking to train a new player from the ground up (for whatever reason). Unfortunately those seem to complicated to search for and the "welcomes new players" tag is on practically everything so I can't use it XD. Any tips? Thanks for the assist! BTW, apologies if any of this is too weird or noobish, I can't really tell at this stage. Just trying to prepare as much as I can.
Koen V. said: Hello Newby here, I got a mail to join a campaign. When I click the link, it always goes to a page that says 'unautorized'. I don't find the game in 'my games'. I see that I have a notification but I can't open it. &nbsp;I tried to contact the person that invited me through the players directory, but apparently I found a wrong Michael B. So I'm stuck. How can I accept my invite? Mail : Hello there! You've been invited by Michael B. to join the game "D&D - Storm King's Thunder" on Roll20! To accept the invitation, just click the link below: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/accept_invite/694631/HxcDisIn" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/accept_invite/694631/HxcDisIn</a> Roll20 is a free way to play tabletop games (like pen and paper RPGs) online. If you don't already have a Roll20 account, you'll be asked to take a quick moment to create one. Once you do, you'll join the game! Thanks, The Roll20 Team Hyperlink goes to this page: Notification: @Koen I am new as well and had this same issue when I tried my first adventure, easy fix for this is Refresh your roll20 page and go to home.. you will see games played.. simply click the join game button it should list .. that will rejoin the game : ) Hope this helps
Hayli F. said: Hello! I am a brand-spankin' new player that has never ever played any sort of tabletop RPG, but I've been itching to get into the game. I joined this site almost a year ago and still haven't joined any games partly because I forgot this website exists, but also because I have crippling anxiety when it comes to breaking out of my comfort zone. That being said, hearing about how much fun the D&D group on my campus has, I want to try my hand at D&D5E with some nice people who wouldn't mind helping a newbie learn the ropes. Hi Hayli F new as well and I am about to make a post related to issues I am having joining groups. Are you set on playing D&D5e? there are several other game types that accept new players and will teach you how to play. You should never be anxious to play a game : ( I am sorry if you joined an opinionated group in the past that may have had you feel this way, maybe try applying to a few games that welcome new players and find one that you feel comfortable with : ) I have had good success with only 2 groups so far using the LFG system on here so it may take a couple tries with different games to find one that you are comfortable with and that will actually happen. I am playing a really fun battletech game or will be so far still on character creation stage.. GM said they were looking for 2 more players as the would like a 4-6 Player group we are at 4 players currently. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1832474/m" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1832474/m</a>... &lt;-- link but it appears the GM may have disabled LFG on it. also the time may not fit when you are available.

Edited 1493149255
So I have a question for the DEV and would like to have a response if possible. I joined about 2 weeks ago after seeing a twitch stream of a D&D game using roll20. I was excited to possibly be able to play as I had not played since I was a teenager as everyone IRL was no longer interested in playing tabletop games. However I noticed a HUGE PROBLEM with how LFG works. There seems to be a trend/standard practice for Game Posters to Post looking for players then totally ignoring their post and responding weeks later if at all to the players applications/questions/and similar. Example would be.. I have this awesome game looking for 6 players plays weekly voice only at 8pm CST time.. they describe this maybe nice sounding game that would be fun. Players then post a thread titled Application.. Interested or similar.. however the Game Poster will have the game scheduled to play in hours or days but does not respond to any applications or questions or anything. My personal experience with this has been horrible! Out of about 10-20 games I have applied for I have gotten about 3 responses to my application/questions. All of the other Game Posters have failed to respond at all even though their scheduled game play time has come and gone. This is very annoying as I am left wondering Am I able to play? If not.. why not? I feel the current LFG is very poor and needs to be addressed. If a Game Poster makes a post they should be able to respond in a timely manner to players who post in response to their LFG. IF a Game Poster can not respond in a timely manner THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO POST, IF THEY CURRENTLY HAVE A POST UP AND NOT RESPONDING THEIR POST SHOULD BE REMOVED. There are several games I applied for and never got any response, I can understand that some Game Posters are looking for a good and well balanced group and for whatever reason they may feel as if I would be a poor fit for their game/group. However that being said I feel as though they should respond to player postings letting me know that I was not a good fit, that the group is now full, or something similar. I understand that some Game Posters may be more busy than the Players Looking and have limited time. However there is no reason a Game Poster cannot log in 1 time a day for a few minutes or at the very least even 1 time a week(Most seem to be played weekly or every other week) to respond to their Game Post and confirm/deny applications/answer possible questions. I know I cannot be the only one frustrated by this. I am wondering what your take is on this DEV TEAM and if you plan on fixing this problem. I did send a PM to 1 dev team member but am Posting here as I am a new player and other players may be having this problem as well.
DrunkenPirate said: Hayli F. said: Hello! I am a brand-spankin' new player that has never ever played any sort of tabletop RPG, but I've been itching to get into the game. I joined this site almost a year ago and still haven't joined any games partly because I forgot this website exists, but also because I have crippling anxiety when it comes to breaking out of my comfort zone. That being said, hearing about how much fun the D&D group on my campus has, I want to try my hand at D&D5E with some nice people who wouldn't mind helping a newbie learn the ropes. Hi Hayli F new as well and I am about to make a post related to issues I am having joining groups. Are you set on playing D&D5e? there are several other game types that accept new players and will teach you how to play. You should never be anxious to play a game : ( I am sorry if you joined an opinionated group in the past that may have had you feel this way, maybe try applying to a few games that welcome new players and find one that you feel comfortable with : ) I have had good success with only 2 groups so far using the LFG system on here so it may take a couple tries with different games to find one that you are comfortable with and that will actually happen. I am playing a really fun battletech game or will be so far still on character creation stage.. GM said they were looking for 2 more players as the would like a 4-6 Player group we are at 4 players currently. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1832474/m" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1832474/m</a>... &lt;-- link but it appears the GM may have disabled LFG on it. also the time may not fit when you are available. Hmmm okay, I'll take a look at that game. I'm open to pretty much anything, however I have the rulebook to dnd, thus why I was primarily looking at that. Assuming I don't need to buy one (download it or something similar), I'd be open too it. Thanks!
Hello strangers, I recently saw a youtube video on Dungeons and Dragons, and it seemed really fun. I have never played anything like it. Could someone take me under their wing and teach a young grasshopper like me?
Dylan A. said: Hello strangers, I recently saw a youtube video on Dungeons and Dragons, and it seemed really fun. I have never played anything like it. Could someone take me under their wing and teach a young grasshopper like me? I'm insanely new (you can see my post asking for advice just above), but I figured I'd part what I know so far to you. I figure the best way to be helped is to help others, and besides maybe we can work together to find a group. As I've never played a game, I figure I'll give you the resources I'm using to prepare for said game and you can work from there, hopefully finding someone while or soon after you look at them. To start you'll want to look at the rulebook. Theres a basic version available as a free download here- <a href="http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrul" rel="nofollow">http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrul</a>... however if your serious you may want to look into getting the main book- but I'm sure a good game group would be okay if you did a trial game with basic one first to see how you like it (any rules yours doesn't cover can be filled in by other people as long as you take their word for it). Second, and others can tell me if this is a bad series but it seems well supported/done/recieved to me, is to watch this (or a similar) video guide- <a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUd6XtD1PA" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUd6XtD1PA</a>... I could give you the rundown myself, however I would basically be parroting most everything he says, seeing as I don't have much experience atm. I realize how insanely long the series is, but keep this in mind- roleplaying is sort of like a miniature acting career. The difference of course is your acting for a group of up to ten people, all of whom are also acting. So theoretically there's years worth of classes to look at. As such if your not masochistic about preparation like me and just want the basics, feel free to just watch in your free time and stop when your comfortable. Myself I've been watching it as I play games or write up my character draft. I'd say once he starts doing suggestions from viewers is the best place to stop if your going to, as anything before that was essential enough for him to put off the questions. And, of course, look for other opinions/advice/ and guidance if possible. Both because I'm a newbie who likely doesn't know much at all, and because it's always good to have other opinions. (I do wish there were a "newbie helper" game tag for game groups however in the LFG.... that would help us both out a ton XD).
Dylan A. said: Hello strangers, I recently saw a youtube video on Dungeons and Dragons, and it seemed really fun. I have never played anything like it. Could someone take me under their wing and teach a young grasshopper like me? Oh, and I almost forgot one other important thing- game editions! See, every few years/decades or so (IDK the normal timeframe), the makers of dungeons and dragons update the rulebook. Except unlike the rules for a videogame or miniature wargaming, the rule-sets for every 'edition' (that is, update of the game) are still pretty heavily played by people- name an edition of the game, and you'll almost guaranteed be able to find a game for it. Right now the latest edition is fifth (usually called '5E'), however I imagine most new players will gravitate towards the new edition- not necessarily because older players are people who hate the new stuff, but because if you wanted to know how good an edition is you'd have to study it, which with five rulebooks would be a bit much even for me. The reason this is important, is because you don't want to get the wrong edition of the rulebook- especially if you are looking at earlier editions.
To Peter O. I do wish there were a "newbie helper" game tag for game groups ^ I also agree with this.. there should be a game section for those new to tabletop and roll20.. games specifically made to help get players used to how roll20 works and to learn tabletop gaming.. I know there are tutorial things for roll20 if you wanting to use it to make your own game and such but I have not seen any games or similar that will teach new players/those new to roll20 how this all works.. I had to find a 1 time adventure and have others who have played roll20 and tabletop games to help me get started. By no means would I say I actually know or understand yet though. Example would be new gamer adventure that would be an adventure with 5e d&d that would go over things like how to create a character, how to make and update your profile, how to do whatever it is that community feels a new player should know : )

Edited 1493805445
Hello all :) I just signed up, and well, that's it. A friend of mine talked a bit about D&D, and it sounded really cool, so I want to know more about it. At the moment I know basically nothing about it, besides the fact that you can create your own character (but I don't know the limits about it). And the possibilities of the game are endless, which makes every game unique :D Is there any way I can spectate a game? Because I only saw a "join game" option. Because I don't want to be a hassle to experienced players :/ Right now I don't really know where to start, haha Edit: i can play using Discord if anyone is interested
How do i access a character sheet, do i need to join a game or can i premake one for a game?

Edited 1493923835
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome to roll20 George T. &nbsp;You can create a new game and choose a character sheet template( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets</a> ) from a LONG list of currently supported sheets in order to make a character for a particular game and sheet. &nbsp;Within your game use the right sidebar "Journal" tab and the +ADD button to create a character. &nbsp;Later, you can use the character vault to import a character from one of your games into someone else's game if they have enabled allowing import. &nbsp;Some GM's may have you create characters with their game.
Whats up guys? I've never used roll20 other than the tutorial, and I've been recruited by a player to be a DM, which I've done irl but not here. How to I access all the worldbuilding functions? My tabletop options are looking pretty barren compared to the tutorial. Cant upload maps, cant see the GM layer, etc. What am i missing?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Alex. If you were invited into the game, the creator of the game must upgrade you to Co-GM status.
Good afternoon. &nbsp;I've searched around the internet and the help and wiki, and I'm not finding the answers I need and I'm wondering if peoples here can advise me. &nbsp;I'm GMing my first game using roll20 &nbsp;I'm good with my maps and most of my combat, but my NPC's against players with combat is being weird, and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, misunderstanding how something works or what. &nbsp;When I roll an ability for an npc. &nbsp;It does the roll but it also shows a full description of the ability? Is that right? How do I make that go away? or should i just do these as whispered rolls?&nbsp;

Edited 1494552261
hi im new to d&d like i have never played a game ever. but im a keen learner and will gladly join you on your campaign what ever it may be. thanks.&nbsp; i have a discord if that makes any difference.

Edited 1494866481
Ok, so I'm planning on becoming a DM for DnD. It will likely be several weeks before I'm ready to run my first game- I'm planning on 100% memorizing as much as mentally possible before hand, learning this software till its second nature, and watching all the youtube content I can get my hands on. (And yes, IK about over preparing being an issue sometimes- I figure most of that stuff I'll need to do eventually anyway, the rest is to make sure my first impression goes smoothly as possible.) However I figured before really digging in to preparations I'd ask here if there's anything I should know beforehand. Such as for example if theres any area of the software not readily obvious that I should know about, or if there are any quirks about the roll20 community I should keep in mind that wouldn't be in the average in- person game (of which I've been to a few). I am having/getting a hold of all the materials I can that would relate to the first campaign (which will likely be lost mines of phandelver), so I don't think I need any advice on that front. Thanks, Peter
I got an email from a friend, so I can join his game and get only two words on the page "Not Authorized". &nbsp;I signed less than an hour ago and he signed up about 20-30 hours before me. &nbsp;Is the problem just that neither of us are 'uploaded into the search database' or something or something more basic. &nbsp;I have his game world's name, the name he used to sign up and that it's D&D 3.5 edit. &nbsp;Still won't show it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Peter O. said: Ok, so I'm planning on becoming a DM for DnD. It will likely be several weeks before I'm ready to run my first game- I'm planning on 100% memorizing as much as mentally possible before hand, learning this software till its second nature, and watching all the youtube content I can get my hands on. (And yes, IK about over preparing being an issue sometimes- I figure most of that stuff I'll need to do eventually anyway, the rest is to make sure my first impression goes smoothly as possible.) However I figured before really digging in to preparations I'd ask here if there's anything I should know beforehand. Such as for example if theres any area of the software not readily obvious that I should know about, or if there are any quirks about the roll20 community I should keep in mind that wouldn't be in the average in- person game (of which I've been to a few). I am having/getting a hold of all the materials I can that would relate to the first campaign (which will likely be lost mines of phandelver), so I don't think I need any advice on that front. Thanks, Peter Congrats on your choice to take the big step behind the screen and wear the the mask of many faces. I would recommend just playing around with the&nbsp; tutorial or a game you created. If you are comfortable with the game system of your choice then just getting comfortable with the various aspect of roll20 is all you need to deal with. Have you read the&nbsp; wiki yet? There is loads of information to be mined from there.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
c a. said: I got an email from a friend, so I can join his game and get only two words on the page "Not Authorized". &nbsp;I signed less than an hour ago and he signed up about 20-30 hours before me. &nbsp;Is the problem just that neither of us are 'uploaded into the search database' or something or something more basic. &nbsp;I have his game world's name, the name he used to sign up and that it's D&D 3.5 edit. &nbsp;Still won't show it. It sounds like you received a link to your friend's game detail page which is not viewable unless you already joined the game or if your friend is a pro subscriber and set his game to be viewable to the public. He needs to send you the LFG forum link &nbsp;so you can post to it and he can push the blue invite button or an invite link itself so you can just click on it and join..
Thanks. &nbsp;His second attempt was "not found" when I typed it in. &nbsp;I'm too new to know what LFG means.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is the looking for group forum that is created for that specific game if he makes the listing for it.&nbsp; Here is the wiki page about it.
Hi everyone! New to Roll20 and loving it! I'm a multisystem player (Gurps, AD&D, D&D, WoD, SW, etc.) and hoping to have a lot of fun with you all! Cheers!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome to Roll20 Rafael. &nbsp;Lot's of good stuff on the&nbsp; opening post of this thread to help you learn what roll20 can do. &nbsp;Have fun.
HI All, As an old school DM I have been playing around with Roll20 in a 'Test' game working out how things work and setting up a beginner campaign. I have noticed I have racked up some 70+ hrs game time while doing so. Should I be concerned about the hrs being gained while not actually having run a game yet? Is there a way to set up a game/test a game without gaining play time hrs?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Martin M. said: HI All, As an old school DM I have been playing around with Roll20 in a 'Test' game working out how things work and setting up a beginner campaign. I have noticed I have racked up some 70+ hrs game time while doing so. Should I be concerned about the hrs being gained while not actually having run a game yet? Is there a way to set up a game/test a game without gaining play time hrs? Don't be concerned at all Martin, see it as 'experience' rather than 'playing time' ;) Us DM's will regularly spends hours of our life prepping, fretting and otherwise tinkering... the 'hours in game' merely reflects our dedication to the platform and that experience is certainly no bad thing!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
No worries Martin. There isn't going to be anyone verifying the hours you've played on roll20. &nbsp;I think there is a total hours played achievement, but is purely symbolic. &nbsp;FYI Playing on the Dev server racks no hours. &nbsp;Have fun. &nbsp;.
Thanks guys. Really enjoying it. Love the dynamic lighting :)

Edited 1495470528
Hey everyone! Never played a tabletop game before but I really enjoy watching critical roll and I really would like to find a group of people in the same boat as me or some people that wouldn't mind playing with me. ( DnD preferably ) P.S I'll need help with my character sheet as well as I don't understand it completely.&nbsp; Thank you from &nbsp;your new favorite Kiwi! :P

Edited 1496112416
hola soy nuevo me gustaria Que alguien me orientara para jugar.
Hello

Edited 1496131164
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
morkcen l. said: hola soy nuevo me gustaria Que alguien me orientara para jugar. Hola y bienvenidos a Roll20. La comunidad aquí es grande, por favor lea el&nbsp; primer post de este hilo y preste atención al consejo dado. Una vez que estés listo para comenzar a solicitar juegos en el foro " Buscando Grupo " y participar, hay una bandera para buscar juegos que dan la bienvenida a nuevos jugadores. Tenga en cuenta que puede tomar un poco de paciencia para conseguir el grupo adecuado para usted, pero vale la pena la espera! Esto se hizo con Google traducir así que por favor perdone cualquier hilarante errores :)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Quaffo said: Hello Hi :) Welcome to Roll20!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Taylor M. said: Hey everyone! Never played a tabletop game before but I really enjoy watching critical roll and I really would like to find a group of people in the same boat as me or some people that wouldn't mind playing with me. ( DnD preferably ) P.S I'll need help with my character sheet as well as I don't understand it completely.&nbsp; Thank you from &nbsp;your new favorite Kiwi! :P Welcome Taylor, while we can't promise you 'Critical Roll' level of play we can certainly offer you all the support a new player could ever need. Take a look at the&nbsp; OP of this thread and get involved :) Also, while I'm sure you are awesome you've big shoes to fill to be my new favourite kiwi i'm afraid:
Quaffo dijo: Hola Hola soy nuevo en esto , y me gustaría mucho jugar, me conecto siempre despues de 7 30 pm. si puede guiarme seria genial.
Hello, I'm really new to roleplaying games this way. Up until now I've been in narrative focussed roleplaying forums, but since I saw many videos of people playing D&D and saw this page, I decided to try to play a roleplaying game with some friends. I already did the tutorial, but I've had to do it a few more times because there are many things I still don't understand, so I came here to ask for a little help trying to understand a few things, I would really apreciate a PM of possible. 1. I've seen macros in many games for years, but I don't really what they are what their purpose is here, so I would really apreciate an explanation. 2. I've decided to set up a game for my friends who have never ever roleplayed, so I used the character sheets to create some characters. It will be a much simpler game since no one really know how to play and they don't want to read books... People nowadays don't like books at all. &nbsp;But I'd like to know if there's a way to create a custom module. 3. What is the "hit die" thing in the character sheet? I changed the number inside of it but the roll formula never changed. 4. What are the rollable tables? 5. How do I tranfer players from a scene to another?&nbsp; I have an Anima Beyond Core Exxet book... I think that's it name, a friend gave it to me and it's been the only book I've managed to get. I got it because every single person I've met irl who know how to play, tell me they don't have time to teach me, they don't want to play with me, that I have to read the books to understand how to play, etc... And that book over there is really hard to understand, so if someone could answer my questions and / or help me a bit, I would be really really grateful (PM me, please) And I'm sorry for my grammar errors, my first language is Spanish. Thank you very much in advance and have a nice rest of the day
Sorry if this question is answered earlier in the thread, but the thread is 17 pages, so I'm taking the liberty of being lazy. How can I get a macro not to include &lt;enter&gt; at the end of the contents of the macro. I want to create the simple macro "/w playername" to make it easier to whisper players with whatever I choose to type in. Also, if I already have a macro that starts with /em or /desc, is there a way to /w or /o the execution of that macro? Thanks for your help.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
One-Eyed Jack said: I want to create the simple macro "/w playername" to make it easier to whisper players with whatever I choose to type in. Also, if I already have a macro that starts with /em or /desc, is there a way to /w or /o the execution of that macro? These are great questions for the Specific Use and Macros forum, but I'll answer them here: Sounds like Roll Queries are what you're looking for, e.g. /w ?{Player|Jack|Jill|Jim} ?{Message} No,&nbsp; Chat Commands are mutually-exclusive. However, GMs can use /emas to effectively combine /em with /o
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, Cronirion . , welcome to Roll20! Cronirion . said: 1. I've seen macros in many games for years, but I don't really what they are what their purpose is here, so I would really apreciate an explanation. To learn more about macros in general, I recommend reading through some of the pages listed on the Roll20 Wiki's Main Page , including: Macros & Text Chat Sheet Roll Buttons & Command Buttons Dice Reference & Rollable Tables Journal Attributes Abilities Roll Templates Tokens & Token Actions 2. I've decided to set up a game for my friends who have never ever roleplayed, so I used the character sheets to create some characters. It will be a much simpler game since no one really know how to play and they don't want to read books... People nowadays don't like books at all. But I'd like to know if there's a way to create a custom module. I'm not quite certain what you mean by a 'custom module', but it's absolutely possible to set up anything that could otherwise be played around a physical tabletop within Roll20. 3. What is the "hit die" thing in the character sheet? I changed the number inside of it but the roll formula never changed. Without the use of API Script , Character Sheet fields for hit dice typically only function to hold information. Some API Scripts (e.g. Monster Hit Dice ) automatically roll hit dice when individual Tokens are generated (API access requires a Game's Creator to have an active Pro subscription.) 4. What are the rollable tables? Check out:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Collections#Rollable_Tables" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Collections#Rollable_Tables</a> 5. How do I tranfer players from a scene to another? Check out:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Toolbar#Switching_Between_Pages" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Toolbar#Switching_Between_Pages</a> I hope this helps!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Silvyre said: 5. How do I tranfer players from a scene to another? Check out:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Toolbar#Switching_Between_Pages" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Toolbar#Switching_Between_Pages</a> Minor note, you'll need to pull player's Characters onto that page from the Journal tab, or have already done so.