Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Welcome to Roll20 Konfliction, the above information from Avacyn is a great start point to familiarising yourself with the site. Then i would take a look at the Looking for Group forum (or use the tool in your blue bar above) to start applying for games that fit your chosen systems/times. Most games welcome new players and are more than happy to teach you the ropes. Happy rolling!
ok thanks Ziechael
Hey everybody, I signed up yesterday to Roll20, and I'm looking for somebody to teach me the ropes to DnD 5e. I got the PHB the other day, and I, being pretty much a newbie to the game (despite the fact I have five of the 4e books and my new PHB 5e book), would like to get some proper use out of those books! I would like to start out with learning 5e, and then maybe broadening my horizons later after getting accustomed to 5th. I'd appreciate any help with the game!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Scott D., To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching one or both of the introductory video series: 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. Also, check out the Looking For Group Tool and be certain to completely fill out your User Profile with the versions of D&D tyou're looking for and your available times, and a little bit about yourself o maximize your exposure in the Player Directory . Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 and post in the various forums on their particular topics. Happy gaming!
Hello ive mever played and really wa t to learn dnd but have no clue how to find those who could mentoe and teach me not sure how to go through roll20 website but i was told about it by someone online

Edited 1436558881
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Welcome to Roll20 Lord_Dreamthief, the above information from Avacyn is a great start point to familiarising yourself with the site. Then i would take a look at the Looking for Group forum (or use the tool in your blue bar above) to start applying for games that fit your chosen systems/times. Most games welcome new players and are more than happy to teach you the ropes. Happy rolling!
Thank you
can someone help me getting started pls
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Luffy, welcome to Roll20. For starters i'd read the previous few posts in this thread for the best tips on where to start. Feel free to come back here or use the more specific forums if you have any further questions about using the site.
GenKitty said: At this time you can not change the location of the Player/Video Avatar, they will always be at the bottom of the screen, overlaying the bottom edge of the map. You can scroll around your map by using the scroll bars to the right and bottom of the Tabletop OR click and drag with the right mouse button. im on a macbook pro, no right click, and scrolling the map around doesn't get the avatars out of the way..
Is there anything I can do with the avatars that will get them away from the board?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Dungeon Master, You can not move them, but you can REMOVE them. In the upper right corner click on the gear to open the My Settings panel, scroll down almost to the bottom and under 'Video/Player Avatar Size' select 'Name only'. As the setting says, this will only show the display names for those logged into the session. The display names are not removable nor movable.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Dungeon Master said: GenKitty said: At this time you can not change the location of the Player/Video Avatar, they will always be at the bottom of the screen, overlaying the bottom edge of the map. You can scroll around your map by using the scroll bars to the right and bottom of the Tabletop OR click and drag with the right mouse button. im on a macbook pro, no right click, and scrolling the map around doesn't get the avatars out of the way.. On a Macbook pro, you can use 2 fingers on the touch pad for a "right click". Alternatively, you can use the Pan Tool to left click and move the map around. The Pan Tool can be selected by clicking the top box of the Toolbar (Usually looks like a mouse pointer) and select the hand shaped icon. If you are using advanced keyboard shortcuts, pressing 'a' will select the pan tool.
PlayStation4 Is it at all possible to participate in a campaign using the PS4 videogame system? If I were to purchase the video camera and headset peripherals, I mean? I understand that ROLL20 Dev. Team had NEVER anticipated this quesion, but, here it is anyways..??? Please respond. Thank You ALL Very Much. GOD bless and be well.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Alejandro, this was briefly discussed in this thread . The end result of which is that roll20 may run on browsers via consoles but they are not officially supported.
Q: can i download the sheet i make for a game im playing in?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
No, character sheets are not downloadable. You can, however, save 'snapshots' of your character to your vault, for possible exporting to other Roll20 campaigns. Read more about it here .
So I don't know if anyone has already asked this, but I have an annoying issue. Building my first campaign, all is going smooth, 90% finished. My last element I'm trying to add is the dynamic lighting. I have a mentor account, I've done everything in the instructions and scoured the related wiki pages. The issue i'm having is when I load in as a player on my GM account the map is all black, nothing shows up. I've tried every possible combination of changing fog of war on different layers, changing light emitting settings and sight settings on tokens, I've played with page settings, EVERYTHING. All of my pages work except for the one with dynamic lighting. Any ideas and suggestions would be awesome. I'll even let someone dry run the campaign just to see the issue firsthand. Thanks in advance!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Nick. Just some quick things to check; Page settings Dynamic Lighting: Enabled Enforce Line of Sight: Enabled Update on Drop: either Restrict Movement: either Global Illumination: Disabled Token settings; Has Sight: Enabled At least one token as a Light Source Emits light: enter Light radius (dim optional) 360 All Players See Light: enabled Players need to have control of the tokens that have site and they need to be able to see the light source (line of sight) Check that Fog of War isn't covering the area for your test.
I checked all of those settings. Same issue. Everything is black. I even added other light emitting tokens for torches and nothing shows up at all.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I would triple check that your tokens are controlled by all players or a player. If they are linked to sheet (represents) that the sheet is controlled by a player(s) As a test, I removed the control of tokens with site, rejoined as player and got the black screen you describe. As GM i set the controlled by "All Players", rejoined as a player and it worked.
Ok, I did exactly that and now I can see the character token on the page but that is all, everything else is black
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
What layer are your light source tokens? Make sure they are not on the GM layer. Also, you can test your settings by using ctrl+l on a player token to "see" as that token.
Everything works now! Thank you for all your help Vince. I honestly still don't know what it was since I just logged in and it's working now.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Good news Nick. Sometimes things happen that way. Glad it's working for you now. Cheers
If somebody wants to see how a game its played live on roll20 ( you can even ask about it and we respond live) watch our streams <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/typicalgm" rel="nofollow">http://www.twitch.tv/typicalgm</a>
Hi, folks. I'm a complete noob here, but I've been gaming and game-mastering forever. I've played with the old Neverwinter Nights authoring software and toyed with most of the virtual tabletops out there to some extent or another, but never found one that really seemed accessible enough for both myself and my players. I'm hopeful that Roll20 will be that Holy Grail for which I've quested. I'm probably going to play a bit in other campaigns at some point, but right off I want to get tarted on building this Sci-Fi campaign I've been building on and off for a few years. I keep getting side-tracked. Anyway, I want the start page to be a map of a large area of space, and I'd like the players to be able to use the ruler to measure distances between stars. And here's the catch, while the 2D map I'm using can show the distance between systems horizontally, It's no use to me unless I can somehow turn the stars into objects that are locked in place while "flying." I've poked around a bit, and I see some API stuff that allows you to essentially set tokens flying at a specific height, but can I just set a static map that keep track of 3D distance? Thanks for any help.
Anyone know how often those games broadcast on the link just above? I'd love to watch a few sessions - I really need to figure out how to speed up combat resolution with 6 players. I think macros are key but I have little experience with them.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Eric, those twitch games are usually posted about in the open topic forum. There are various roll20 games listed on twitchtv.

Edited 1437373878
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Wolfen said: Hi, folks. I'm a complete noob here, but I've been gaming and game-mastering forever. I've played with the old Neverwinter Nights authoring software and toyed with most of the virtual tabletops out there to some extent or another, but never found one that really seemed accessible enough for both myself and my players. I'm hopeful that Roll20 will be that Holy Grail for which I've quested. I'm probably going to play a bit in other campaigns at some point, but right off I want to get tarted on building this Sci-Fi campaign I've been building on and off for a few years. I keep getting side-tracked. Anyway, I want the start page to be a map of a large area of space, and I'd like the players to be able to use the ruler to measure distances between stars. And here's the catch, while the 2D map I'm using can show the distance between systems horizontally, It's no use to me unless I can somehow turn the stars into objects that are locked in place while "flying." I've poked around a bit, and I see some API stuff that allows you to essentially set tokens flying at a specific height, but can I just set a static map that keep track of 3D distance? Thanks for any help. Wolfen, i'm certain that there will be ways of doing what you need using the API (a mentor level perk). As you are a mentor i would recommend posting your question as a new thread in the API forum with the prefix [REQUEST]
Ziechael said Wolfen, i'm certain that there will be ways. of doing what you need using the API (a mentor level perk). As you are a mentor i would recommend posting your question as a new thread in the API forum with the pre-fix [REQUEST] Thanks, Ziechael. I'll try that.
New to Roll20. Having lots of fun so far with the system. loving all the features with roll macros. Question about D&D 5E Character sheet. I see a place where I can input class skills, so as a Fighter how can I add in the skill Second wind and have it make the roll for me. I don't seem to be making that work for me.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
hello Jay. I don't play 5E so I can't answer you on that but here is the wiki page for that sheet. I would recommend you posting your question in the specific use forum or the sheet forum itself to get more eyes on your question.

Edited 1437370222
Hi I'm Char and im new to RPG's in general I have what I guess is the 5e of the D&D manual and would love to start playing with people and finally getting into this great community if any one has any advice or tips, that would be cool im reading the OP links now
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Charena H. said: Hi I'm Char and im new to RPG's in general I have what I guess is the 5e of the D&D manual and would love to start playing with people and finally getting into this great community if any one has any advice or tips, that would be cool im reading the OP links now Hi Charena, since you've no doubt read the OP and associated links by now there isn't a lot more I can tell you. Your best bet is to familiarise yourself with your D&D system manual and use the Looking for Group tool (blue bar) or forum to keep an eye out for games that take your fancy. I would recommend looking for one shot games where new players are welcome (most GM's are happy to train new players so don't feel intimidated asking). That will give you a great quick exposure to the RPG world without expecting you to commit to one character long term, if you can get in a long term campaign then by all means do so as the GM to player ratio is naturally in favour of the GM's. Most importantly is be honest, be yourself and HAVE FUN! GM's want players who expect to be players, not rules lawyers. They want their players to engage in the campaign that they spend so many hours developing. It is also a good idea to create yourself a campaign to play around in... you can find all sorts of useful hints and tips in the wiki . That way you can even select to use one of the 5e character sheets and make a few characters to get the feel for that systems character creation as that will greatly aid you when entering a campaign (please not that not all GM's will allow pre-made characters and may insist on supervised rolls or assign/let you choose from a batch of their own pre-made characters).
Can someone send me a list of systems that are very simple that work great for zombie style survival games
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Rick C. said: Can someone send me a list of systems that are very simple that work great for zombie style survival games This isn't really a topic for Roll20's Forums. &nbsp;I'd suggest trying a&nbsp; google search or posting in&nbsp; <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg" rel="nofollow">http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg</a> and asking for some suggestions. &nbsp;The Roll20's Forums are for discussing how games are played on Roll20, or how to use Roll20's features, or for finding a game on Roll20.
What's Needed? Ok, so im looking @ cheap USED laptops. What are the min. Req'z to run the game natively? Or even in HANGOUT? Or do i just need a simple laptop, Period? ( i got NO geekspot's in my neck-o-the-woods). I would appreciate an answer folks. Sorry, but thnx. Hope to see yall soon!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hi Alejandro, It's had to say specifically what you'd need. &nbsp;It can get by on fairly low specs. &nbsp;Here's a thread discussing various systems people are using: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1418912/computer" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1418912/computer</a>... Some of the more graphic intensive features (Dynamic Lighting, 3d Dice, etc) can be a bit taxing, but anything made in the last few years should be plenty strong enough to play on.
TYVM Aaron. Apreshe8 it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Alejandro L. said: What's Needed? Ok, so im looking @ cheap USED laptops. What are the min. Req'z to run the game natively? Or even in HANGOUT? Or do i just need a simple laptop, Period? ( i got NO geekspot's in my neck-o-the-woods). I would appreciate an answer folks. Sorry, but thnx. Hope to see yall soon! Hello Alejandro and welcome. I've ran games here on a desktop with a 1.9 gig cpu (single core) with 1gig of ram running windows xp. The desktop used onboard video and sound also. I couldn't have many browser tabs open or other apps running much (had skype running for voice) but it ran fine until dynamic lighting got used. With that said, it was a few years ago before the various updates to the code that streamlined so you should have no problem with anything that was built in the last few years as Aaron said. Good luck with your purchase.
I am new to Table Top RPG's and Roll 20. I am looking to try out DnD, I live in the US Pacific Coast and work 2nd shift so would prefer a game that starts midnight mon through fri or afternoons sat/sun, though I occasionally have to work overtime and may have to miss a weekend play time... occasionally. Feel free to message me

Edited 1438277530
I am new to this site and have not started a game yet I also have 3 other friends looking to play pathfinder with no GM we are from the uk , &nbsp;any advice on how to get someone to help us in setting up our first games ect? I played dnd 3.5 long ago but have little experience I have played many d and d computer games such as baldur's gate icewind le ect and love them, &nbsp;looking to get a start playing pathfinder on this site.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Don D., Stewart L., To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching one or both of the introductory video series: 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 game . This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder.&nbsp; Starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Secondly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Thirdly, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile .&nbsp; Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for the The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 and post in the various forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Hello, I've been using roll20 free account since 3 months, I'm planning to upgrade to pro for my next campaign. I plan as well to buy some token packs from the market place but I can't figure how can i purchase multiple items from the market place at once. Because paying in $ will result in commission fees from my bank (i'm french actually), i'd rather reduce it as much as possible. Thanks for you guidance
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Jean-Ladislas, I think your best bet would be to contact the team on <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> to explore any potential alternatives to making purchases etc in bulk.
Thanks I'll try to send an email !
Is there a way to rotate the map? Or at least make it bigger? I can't fit all of the tokens and the environment I make on the current size of it.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi, you can certainly increase the size of the table to suit your needs. Here is a&nbsp; link to the wiki page that will tell you more about changing the page settings.

Edited 1438801176
Hello! So i'm very new to all of this but i've been researching a good bit and i've got the basic idea of how tabletops are played and i know exactly what games i want to play. The problem now is finding a group that will let me join their game :-/ &nbsp; I retract my previous statement. To any other new players, just have a little patience when you're looking for a new game