Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

hey all, I'm very new to table top rpgs, I am hoping to meet and rp with everyone :)
Every time we make rolls from the skill sheet it rolls as a advantage roll ... how do you change that\
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
If you're referring to Actoba's 5e sheet, every combat and skill roll will always roll twice; if you don't have advantage you simply ignore the second result.
thank you buddy that helped
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello and welcome Daniel S. and Kyah K. Daniel, Genkitty has the right of it. Just talk to the GM and the search engine has the welcome new players filter. A lot of gm's that are willing to teach new players will usually state it in their descriptions also. Kyah, the best shot you have to find a group is to look through the LFG forum and use the game search engine up above in the blue banner. I include the search link with the new player filter active but nothing else. Hope you all have fun.
Since this is my first time to table top gaming and DnD. I am finding it difficult to create character's and The character sheet is giving me a headache as I unable to understand how it all works.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Shawn. Have you watched the tutorial video from the original post? I quoted it for your ease Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Watch the two videos if you haven't then I would recommend you finding a game that interests you and talking with the GM. He would be able to talk you through the steps of filling out the character sheet for his game. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets</a> has instructions on the use of the characters so you can take a look and read up on them there. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_Next" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dungeons_and_Dragons_Next</a> has specific instructions on the 5e character sheet (you did not specify which version of D&D so I went with the latest. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Main_Page" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Main_Page</a> is the main wiki page so you can see the index of the wiki info.
A quick question if I have two players that share a computer is it possible for them to both play from on pc or would they need 2.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
They should be fine to both play from one PC. The easiest thing to do is just have them use one account and give that account control of both their characters. Another alternative is to have Roll20 open for them in two different windows and have them tab between them to switch players, but that's a lot of overhead for probably minimal gain. The only place that might make more sense is if you are only using the text chat, for which it might be easier to keep track of who is speaking.

Edited 1429821961
I use one pc and one window . at the bottom under the text chat you can select what charicter you whant to talk with i just switch betwen them whene i need to

Edited 1429838772
So, I added quite a few tags to my recently-launched rpg, in order to make it easier for potential players to find. But when I tried searching my rpg with those keywords, they turned up nothing. What's going on? Anyone else have this problem? Why are my tags not working?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
It can sometimes take a few hours for new listings to display in the LFG tool. Check back in 3-4 hours.

Edited 1429842909
Shell said: So, I added quite a few tags to my recently-launched rpg, in order to make it easier for potential players to find. But when I tried searching my rpg with those keywords, they turned up nothing. What's going on? Anyone else have this problem? Why are my tags not working? Hi Shell! I just replied to a private message from a player in your group! I was able to find your listing just a moment ago. Like GenKitty stated, it can take some time to be added to the system.
Hello everybody. I'm new to all of this, and I'm a bit... well... I say 'a bit'. I'm really overwhelmed by all the information that seems to be needed to know to even join a game, let alone play it... I've been interested in D&D and such for a while, but never found any info or people to play with. So roll20 seemed like a good option. But I've been trying to find info, and campaigns and anything basically, and there's just so much and I'm just overwhelmed and honestly, a bit scared off by the fact that there's just so much. It seems like an impossibility for me to even get started on understanding any of this. I've been reading info for about an hour now, and my brain feels fried. Is there any way to kinda get like an introductory game for people as new as me, to ease into a bit more easily? Because I kinda started with the feeling of: Hey, you know what, I'm actually going to check this out and see what options there are! And that mood changed to: Too much, can't deal, I give up...
Step 1: Watch the Looking For Group forum until someone posts something like "Game for New Players", in the style you want to learn, ie Pathfinder, D&D (3.5, 4, 5e), or whatever. Here's one for 5e. Step 2: Post that you'd like to join their game. Step 3: Actually show up at the appointed time and place. Step 4: Not be a newbie anymore! Seriously, there are lots of people out there who'd love to help you join our favorite addiction! It may seem daunting at first, but once you get your chance to try it out, it's really not so tough. Just stick with it, and remember there are more players than GMs. It may take you a few tries to get into a game! -Phnord, who runs newbie-friendly games himself from time to time.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
First off, Gabriel D, Welcome to Roll20. ^_^ I'll start by routing you to the resources mentioned at the start of this thread, in case your browser pointed you at the end of the thread instead of the start of it: We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Secondly, Roll20 itself is just software meant to emulate playing games at your kitchen table -- software with active developer support and a robust social component. The best way to get a feel for the various things the software can do is to create your own campaign and play around with things. You can not break things, honest :&gt; As far as introductory RPGs -- The Looking For Group tool ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search</a> ) has an option to only show games welcoming new players, and the Looking for Group forum ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search</a> ) often has GMs posting games specifically intended for newbies. The Roll20 community is reliant on GMs deciding to run games, across a variety of RPG-systems, and the GM to Player ratio has what feels like hundreds of players for each GM. So a little patience is needed, and a lot of determination. So, fill out your profile, browse around the forums, check out the Looking For Game tool, and create your own campaign so you can chew on the software. If you've more questions about specific things, the Specific Questions forum ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/19" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/19</a> ) awaits your postings. I hope you enjoy your stay here, and have many hours of happy gaming.
I am totally new with roll 20 as is our group so i am here to try and see if i can do this... Here is my macro for my base attack with a weapon that does additional Holy damage /em is attacking @{target|token_name} first attack: [[1d20+28]] damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] Holy dmg: [[2d6]] second attack: [[1d20+23]] n damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] third attack: [[1d20+18]] damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] and here is the display What i would like to do is change the color of the text on the display for the Holy damage so that it is highlighted. Then when attacking a creature that is not evil we just dont add it and its easier for the DM to spot. Can this be done???? Also if this should be in a different forum please let me know so i can post it there.

Edited 1430191465
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
This forum is adequate. Without using the API, your options for coloring the text are a bit limited. You can use the Basic Formatting ( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Basic_Formatting" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Basic_Formatting</a> ) to bold, italic, or both that line: /em is attacking @{target|token_name} first attack: [[1d20+28]] damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] ***Holy dmg:*** [[2d6]] second attack: [[1d20+23]] n damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] third attack: [[1d20+18]] damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] You could also use one of the other talk modes like /em or /occ : /em is attacking @{target|token_name} first attack: [[1d20+28]] damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] /ooc Holy dmg: [[2d6]] second attack: [[1d20+23]] n damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] third attack: [[1d20+18]] damage result: [[1d12+2d6+17]] (a bit weird because it drops to the player name instead of the character, but still a useful technique) You could rewrite it with the default roll template: /em is attacking @{target|token_name} &{template:default} {{name=Attack}} {{ first attack= [[1d20+28]] }} {{ damage result= [[1d12+2d6+17]] }} {{ Holy dmg= [[2d6]] }} {{ second attack= [[1d20+23]] n }} {{ damage result= [[1d12+2d6+17]] }} {{ third attack= [[1d20+18]] }} {{ damage result= [[1d12+2d6+17]] }} You could write it as 2 roll templates, with the Holy damage separated: /em is attacking @{target|token_name} &{template:default} {{name=Attack}} {{ first attack= [[1d20+28]] }} {{ damage result= [[1d12+2d6+17]] }} {{ second attack= [[1d20+23]] n }} {{ damage result= [[1d12+2d6+17]] }} {{ third attack= [[1d20+18]] }} {{ damage result= [[1d12+2d6+17]] }} &{template:default} {{name=Holy dmg}} {{ [[2d6]] }} Beyond that, you could either write your own Roll Templates as as part of a Custom Character Sheet (a Mentor perk), or use the Roll Templates provided by the character sheet you're using (see the Character Sheet for details, or post in the Character Sheet Forum) or use the API (another Mentor perk) and something like the Power Cards Script, or write your own formatted output with an API script. Hope that helps!
Howdy all, I was wondering how you can move folders around to re-organise them. I know that when they are closed you can click and hold to drag them in a list. However I accidentally moved one of my sub-folders out into the root and for the life of me it will not go back into the folder it came out of. I have the folder I want it to go into open and normally when you do this it 'indents' to show that it has gone down a layer however this is not happening. I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hi Jack, There's an animation on the wiki that often helps clear it up: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Reorganizing_Journ" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Reorganizing_Journ</a>... Basically, you grab the leftmost part of the journal entry, be it an icon or a +/- symbol, and drag it by that handle.
Hi Aaron, thankyou for responding. I know that is what has stumped me. That is what I've been doing for my handouts and even other folders however this one folder simply won't go inside another folder.
Excusez moi mais j'aimerai savoir comment pouvoir jouer en français et avec des français, merci d'avance :) . ( How play in french and with french, thanks for your futur answer ;) ) ??
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Jack, sounds like you need to open of a bug report. The Folders are a relatively new feature, so it's possible there's something else going on. If you can head over to the bugs forum and make thread we can start working through your issue, and probably get a dev involved.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Manon, You can specify the Language in the Looking for Group tool when searching. I believe there is also group for French speaking players. Vous pouvez spécifier la langue dans l' outil de recherche de groupe lors de la recherche . Je crois qu'il ya aussi un groupe pour les joueurs francophones .

Edited 1430506410
Hi I'm new on this, I got a problem, when I select Show as a Token Action to a character, I can't see the macros I do anywhere. Someone could tell me what's the problem ? Also I'm adding to the macros the - @{target|strength} But no matter what I do replace for Strenght it always says No attribute was found for targeted token by the name of X ( depending which attribute I add )

Edited 1430527919
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Seeing Abilities as Token Actions and getting Attributes with @{target} both rely on the token in question representing a character. Probably you need to look at the token options and select the character it represents. This wiki page explains the process in detail: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a>
Thank you alot ! that was exactly the problem, thanks, now is all solved, a thousand thanks, you just saved me from instructing 4 clueless guys about making macros, thank you.
I am looking to join a game I'm very new here but I would like to try my hand at playing rifts if anyone wants to help
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hi Alex, I'd suggest trying our Looking For Group . That's the easiest way to find a game. Posting in the Looking for Group forum also wouldn't hurt. Good luck and happy rolling!
Hello Everybody, I'm french and I'm new. How I can do to play a game?
salut Nightingale moi aussi je suis debutant et Français comme tu peux le constater

Edited 1430863425
Oi sou novo por aqui, alguém me falar como eu faço para Encontrar Uma mesa mascara de vampiro a mascara?
Hi, i just registered. First, let me say this page looks awesome, it's been years since i las played D&d, and this platform lets me do that without having to worry about my geographical situation. My first and most important question is, how can i search for a group that plays D&d (3.5 or 5) and speaks spanish (as that is my native language)?. Thanks in advance!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi and welcome to roll20 Hernan. First and foremost i encourage everyone i 'meet' to look through the wiki documentation, not all of it will be of use to you now but there are a lot of questions answered there :) As for finding a game, your best bet is making sure your profile is set up with some core information about yourself, language preference, timezone and available times of play. Also there you can list your preferred systems (3.5 and 5e). Then you can head on over to the LFG (looking for group) forum and create a thread 'advertising' yourself, its worth putting as much detail as you can fit into as small a paragraph as possible. Similar to your profile, list your timezone, preferred systems, availability, preferred language, experience etc. Hopefully a GM will pick you out and send you an invite. You can also use the LFG tool to find games that take your fancy and post a reply stating your interest. Again i find it is best to give a short but useful paragraph reply to catch a GM's interest. Most of all, patience is a virtue. There are a lot of players and only a proportionately small number of GM's, but once you find that perfect group you've got gaming buddies for life! On a side note, there are groups of players who set up 'clubs'. Basically campaigns that can be used for specific interests (text only gaming etc). I know for a fact of a French speaking one so its likely that there is a Spanish one too somewhere, i just haven't seen one yet sorry.
I saw this answer in another forum about sharing/exporting campaigns/modules: There is no sharing/export option, and no current plans for such a feature. Is this still the case? It seems crazy to me that this isn't a planned feature. I get that there are paid assets included in some cases, but if the import simply excluded the paid assets (assuming the file only works in Roll20, that should be easy enough to regulate) or prompted the user for purchase of those assets (and/or give them the option to replace them with their own), wouldn't this be a win-win? The Marketplace is pretty lackluster for modules IMO, and seems really slow to build. Wouldn't it make sense to let the community grow the database of available campaigns? Seems like this software is needlessly crippled in this respect. Or maybe I'm completely wrong on this? That's always possible.

Edited 1431026692
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Personal opinion: I believe the issue is less about market place assets and more about IP from other sources. For example, if I have a DnD 5e campaign, and I import/setup all the monsters from the monster manual, that is within fair use; I'm using those monsters in the book that I purchased for the game that I am running, as intended. If I can then easily give you all those monsters already setup, and you don't have that book as a source of the information, I'm now committing an act of piracy by sharing it with you. There are plenty of grey areas in all of that, but Roll20 has chosen the safe route of disallowing transfers of campaigns. That doesn't prevent people from transferring copyrighted information, but it does prevent them from doing it on Roll20, which protects the company and all the law abiding players on it. If you have any questions about this topic, feel free to email the dev team: <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>
Thanks for that clear response. Makes perfect sense. Still bummed though. It would be brilliant if there was a way to register your hard copy book purchases with WotC and then get permission to use the content online. I've been using the Fight Club apps for IOS with imported content for the books I own and it's fantastic.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I concur. I wonder how FC handles that.
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site but not really new to tabletops, i do have a couple of questions about character's though. Basically my biggest concern is how do your character's follow you around different games, or is this something that this site even allows you to do..i would hate to have to start @ lv1 everytime i wanted to play with some people.. Also my other question: Is it common to see a group of players start from level 1 and progress together for along time? What really made D&D for me was the fact that me and my buddies just played it together for so long, and we all got better at the game and with our character's as well and i would like to recreate that sorta thing! Thanks for the help in advance and i hope to see you guys on the tops!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Welcome to Roll20! You can create a character at whatever level you choose, just as you can sitting at someone's kitchen table. There is a Vault feature for saving and moving characters to new campaigns. Yes, there are campaigns that start at L1 and continue to whatever 'end' level is, alongside shorter length and one-shots.
Would some kind soul help me out? e-Mail an "OSRIC" Character Sheet to me at: <a href="mailto:rcronin1951@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">rcronin1951@gmail.com</a> I appreciate it. I'm disabled and have a slow laptop pc.

Edited 1431223594
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Richard C. said: Would some kind soul help me out? e-Mail an "OSRIC" Character Sheet to me at: <a href="mailto:rcronin1951@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">rcronin1951@gmail.com</a> I appreciate it. I'm disabled and have a slow laptop pc. Hi Richard. Welcome aboard. The Character sheets in roll20 are "built-into" the website. So you really can't email a character sheet to anyone. If you create your own Ad&D 1e campaign or join someone else's game, you will have access to the AD&D 1e sheet thru roll20. If you just want a version of the AD&D 1st edition sheet for off-line use, there should be plenty of freely distributed versions online . If you would like more help, please ask. Lot's of great help on roll20. Cheers
Hey! This is my very first post on the forums, so I have some questions: I want to start a GM check for a Kingmaker campaign-that is, I want to play in one, not GM one. How do I do this? How do I create an alias for player characters?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Artemis and welcome to roll20. First question is simple. Just post a looking for gm in the Looking for group forum. Include the game system you are interested, your time you are willing to play, your timezone (we are an international site), and how much experience in rpgs do you have. You might get lucky and get a fast reply or it might never get a reply. Another way is to look for a campaign posting in the looking for group forum and pm the gm or post in the thread about the game. Everything you would have put in the previous post include in this reply/pm. A third way is to use the looking for group search engine and find a campaign. Follow the GM's instructions in their looking for players forums. More info is found in the wiki on how to use the search engine. There are other ways to find campaigns. We have g+ groups, twitter groups, face book groups, and reddit subforum. Dig around and good luck. Second question is relatively simple also. An alias for the character is created when you create your character and his/her sheet. This usually waits till you have joined a game and created the sheet. The GM of the campaign can help you with that aspect if needed.
Hello. I have a (most likely) simple question regarding the D&D 5e Character Sheet and ability usage under the 'Class' tab: I am unable to use any abilities I list there. For example, when I roll Second Wind, it types out the roll but does not execute the roll. So when I select 'use' in the Class tab, the chat displays this: My question is, how can I get the auto roll function to work with abilities in the same way as spells and macros work? I did try macros but I was unable to name them and they just came out as rolls instead.
Hello. I am new to Roll20, I have played DnD before but it was years ago now and iv more or less forgot the rules. I do have a intrest in DnD or maybe GURPS, or some games like that, I am dyslexic so reading the rule books isn't easy for me and it helps if someone taught me. I know its probably a stupid question but if someone could spare the time and help me get started with one of these games (or any game of their choice which isn't that hard to start) then please reply to this or message me, thank you (by the way im from the UK, so it would be easir if it was some one from the UK o who can work with UK times)

Edited 1431464974
Langley said: Hello. I have a (most likely) simple question regarding the D&D 5e Character Sheet and ability usage under the 'Class' tab: I am unable to use any abilities I list there. For example, when I roll Second Wind, it types out the roll but does not execute the roll. So when I select 'use' in the Class tab, the chat displays this: My question is, how can I get the auto roll function to work with abilities in the same way as spells and macros work? I did try macros but I was unable to name them and they just came out as rolls instead. Hi Langley, I'm still learning this stuff myself, but try it in this format and see if that gets you going: [[1d10+3]] If you really want to get fancy you could try [[1d10+@{fighter_level}]] you might need to check the attributes tab if you use a different character sheet than the one I did, in case fighter_level has some other name.

Edited 1431484020
Hey everybody, I am new to tabletop RPG but not table top, i enjoy Warhammer 40k tabletop but i am looking to get into possibly a 40k rpg table top and definitely DnD (or something smiliar) i havent played in forever and i have completely lost touch, what do i need to get to start gaming?