Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Just started checking out Roll20 after hearing many references to it on other forums. But it appears it is an "all or nothing" proposition. Is the only way to see a game in use to JOIN the game? Is there not a "Guest/Observer/"Fly on the Wall"" mode? Can I watch a group using this to help me decide if this is what I want to "jump into with both feet"? Also, just wondering, but is there a form of "GM evaluation" similar to something like Ebay sellers rating? Some place where others identify and complement GOOD GM's or warn about "waste of time" game leaders? If I'm going to "jump in", I'd like that first group to be lead by someone with some experience. I'm 57. Started playing D&D with the Chainmail and White box (3 brown books) and both ran games and played through AD&D2e. Trying to decide if Roll20 will let me get back into my favorite hobby despite a lack of local players. Any help with my questions is appreciated. Apologies in advance if I put this in the wrong place, or inadvertently offended anyone.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Christopher G. said: Just started checking out Roll20 after hearing many references to it on other forums. But it appears it is an "all or nothing" proposition. Is the only way to see a game in use to JOIN the game? Is there not a "Guest/Observer/"Fly on the Wall"" mode? Can I watch a group using this to help me decide if this is what I want to "jump into with both feet"? There is no observer mode but many people go to twitchtv.com to watch roll20 games streaming. This allows them to watch and listen while some groups have their twitch chat active also so that people can chat or ask questions. Christopher G. said: Also, just wondering, but is there a form of "GM evaluation" similar to something like Ebay sellers rating? Some place where others identify and complement GOOD GM's or warn about "waste of time" game leaders? If I'm going to "jump in", I'd like that first group to be lead by someone with some experience. There is no rating system supported by roll20. It is recommended to read posts, ask questions to the GM and other members then make your own personal decision on what you believe would be a "good GM" for you. 
Many thanks for the rapid response. I'll give twitchtv a check-out.  I appreciate it.
thanks
I got a couple questions. If I buy tokens, can my players pick from them? Or do they have to buy have their own tokens? If I get the Plus subscriptions so I can have dynamic lighting and line of sight, and I use a map pack like the Quick Encounter maps that are already setup, will these map packs behave properly with line of sight and light sources? To be specific, my plan is to buy maps and tokens so I can run a game of DnD4 for my friends online via hangouts and roll20. Thanks for the help.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Omeed G. said: I got a couple questions. If I buy tokens, can my players pick from them? Or do they have to buy have their own tokens? The token pack is tied to your account so they will not see or pick from them unless you drag and drop the tokens onto a map page and set the tokens up for their view & control/edit. Omeed G. said: If I get the Plus subscriptions so I can have dynamic lighting and line of sight, and I use a map pack like the Quick Encounter maps that are already setup, will these map packs behave properly with line of sight and light sources? Can you be somewhat specific on which map pack you are wanting to buy so someone can answer your question better. In general, you can use dynamic lighting on any map as you will draw your dynamic lines on the dynamic layer. Lines do not actually interact with maps so maps do not affect or be affected by dynamic lines. Omeed G. said: To be specific, my plan is to buy maps and tokens so I can run a game of DnD4 for my friends online via hangouts and roll20. Thanks for the help. Hangouts no longer work with roll20. More information can be found  here .
Pat S. said: Omeed G. said: I got a couple questions. If I buy tokens, can my players pick from them? Or do they have to buy have their own tokens? The token pack is tied to your account so they will not see or pick from them unless you drag and drop the tokens onto a map page and set the tokens up for their view & control/edit. Omeed G. said: If I get the Plus subscriptions so I can have dynamic lighting and line of sight, and I use a map pack like the Quick Encounter maps that are already setup, will these map packs behave properly with line of sight and light sources? Can you be somewhat specific on which map pack you are wanting to buy so someone can answer your question better. In general, you can use dynamic lighting on any map as you will draw your dynamic lines on the dynamic layer. Lines do not actually interact with maps so maps do not affect or be affected by dynamic lines. Omeed G. said: To be specific, my plan is to buy maps and tokens so I can run a game of DnD4 for my friends online via hangouts and roll20. Thanks for the help. Hangouts no longer work with roll20. More information can be found&nbsp; here . Thank you for your response. I was thinking map packs like this:&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/342/qui" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/342/qui</a>... From your response I gather I'll have to draw lines for line of sight and such myself when I setup the map?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Omeed G. said: From your response I gather I'll have to draw lines for line of sight and such myself when I setup the map? Dynamic Lighting on our wiki will answer many of your questions but the short answer is yes. Only certain modules have the dynamic lighting lines predrawn but none of the map packs in the marketplace have lines predrawn.&nbsp; I would suggest that if you have more questions to post them in their own thread so that more eyes will see and read your questions. I would recommend posting in the&nbsp; Specific Use Questions & Macro forum.
I need some help creating a character and getting started, as I have a very small inkling of experience from playing once many years ago that's been lost to the sands of time, haha. Hope I'm not being too much of a bother, as I am completely new to the site...
I have played in someone else's game...they were ok and had good maps...but starting my own and have many questions....went through tutorial...vids...ect...all helped...but still have questions...many of them...if anyone can assist please let me know...strictly 2e..old school..looked at other sights and still confused...I have the hang of creating macro's...not an issue...just getting maps and character sheets into game...as well as having a co-gm with editing rights...cant seem to find these answers....anyone..????

Edited 1484711734
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Colin Z. said: I need some help creating a character and getting started, as I have a very small inkling of experience from playing once many years ago that's been lost to the sands of time, haha. Hope I'm not being too much of a bother, as I am completely new to the site... The best way to get into learning to create a character is to join a game and have a GM help you. Look over the&nbsp; LFG and peruse the&nbsp; Game listings to find a game that interests you then post an interest for it. This is where you having your profile filled out comes in handy as alot of GM's will look it over. This is also your chance to shine as you post about yourself. Even with no or little experience, you have to let the GM know something about you such what got you interested in gaming, what experience, if any, you have. Include your timezone and what days you can play in your posts also. Good luck with finding a game.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
BilBo 2 said: I have played in someone else's game...they were ok and had good maps...but starting my own and have many questions....went through tutorial...vids...ect...all helped...but still have questions...many of them...if anyone can assist please let me know...strictly 2e..old school..looked at other sights and still confused...I have the hang of creating macro's...not an issue...just getting maps and character sheets into game...as well as having a co-gm with editing rights...cant seem to find these answers....anyone..???? Bilbo 2, old school is just fine. There are various groups that still play OD&D, AD&D 1e & 2e. I run retroclones. I would recommend posting any questions to the&nbsp; specific use forum so that more eyes see your questions. Most posts in this thread are general beginner posts needing to know where to go find the information to start with.

Edited 1484870257
Rick
Pro
I am with Bilbo 2 &nbsp; &nbsp;2e AD&D &nbsp; figured out how to put in maps but testing them with a player and they could see nothing. I am also having issue find DM specific information. &nbsp;CO DM, revealing maps. &nbsp;Watched the tutorial but not much help when you have a question and tutorial has already moved on. &nbsp; Actually have not found anything that shows how to set up a game. &nbsp; &nbsp; would love some help, &nbsp;would love to have somebody come in my game and talk me through things. Or maybe somebody else can invite me to there game and walk me through things. &nbsp; I am concerned that only a a ROLL20 MOD team answers questions. &nbsp; I followed his ling for specific use forum. &nbsp;It led me here. Does an DM's actually come in here to assist us beginners.

Edited 1484872012
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Richard T. said: I am with Bilbo 2 &nbsp; &nbsp;2e AD&D &nbsp; figured out how to put in maps but testing them with a player and they could see nothing. I am also having issue find DM specific information. &nbsp;CO DM, revealing maps. &nbsp;Watched the tutorial but not much help when you have a question and tutorial has already moved on. &nbsp; Actually have not found anything that shows how to set up a game. &nbsp; &nbsp; would love some help, &nbsp;would love to have somebody come in my game and talk me through things. Or maybe somebody else can invite me to there game and walk me through things. &nbsp; I am concerned that only a a ROLL20 MOD team answers questions. &nbsp; I followed his ling for specific use forum. &nbsp;It led me here. Does an DM's actually come in here to assist us beginners. Hello Richard. Usually specific questions are in their own thread in the specific use forum and they get more eyes on them. If the player could not see the map, did you move the player ribbon to the page where the map was, Did you make sure the map was on the token or map layer? If yes to those two things and they still are having problems then we need to explore that issue more but it has to be in it's own thread. Setting up a game? that is a topic that will be loaded with questions probably. Again that should be in it's own thread so it doesn't spam this welcome to roll20 thread. If you want to get invited, you can post a LFG request in the&nbsp; LFG forum for someone to invite you.to a game or you can go searching the&nbsp; game listings as there are some groups that might be what you are looking for. Some DM's do but most look in the LFG.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey BilBo 2 and Richard T.! I'm happy to help walk you guys though setting up a game or answering any questions you may have. If you'd like to drop me a PM, we can set something up.
Im sorry to Post this here since I'm not sure where to go *new to DND as a whole* I had a few questions mostly for someone who is efficient at Star wars&nbsp; Saga Edition: About Ewok Stealth AKA ?Sneaky? and Improved Stealth. {Q} Am I allowed to Reroll 2 Checks or Only 1? Both have the same Wording but Sneaky does not count for Total Concealment. Also how can i make my own weapon? I would like to be an Ewok who makes crude weaponry {Like a gun but it uses Nuts(Bolts) as ammo and uses a high powered spring to fire the bolts (its not going to be strong I just want to do it) and then keep upgrading it till its eventually a ?Railgun?}

Edited 1485401796
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, RokerJuuDyne , welcome to Roll20! Discussion regarding the rules of specific RPGs are generally outside the purview of our Community Forums and hence considered off-topic . Instead, we recommend starting those discussions where people&nbsp;knowledgeable on specific RPGs congregate, such as /r/swrpg or /r/rpg . On-topic questions directly involving Roll20 are, of course, more than welcome here! If you have any specific questions about the Star Wars Saga Edition Character Sheet , a great place to ask them is within that sheet's most-recent thread . All the best!
I've never played D&D before but i would love to get into it. I feel stupid for asking but what exactly do i need to begin? I'm kinda nervous of being hopeless when i start, so i'd like to be prepared as possible.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Jason R., Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Wish I could jump into a game right now.
Jason R. said: I've never played D&D before but i would love to get into it. I feel stupid for asking but what exactly do i need to begin? I'm kinda nervous of being hopeless when i start, so i'd like to be prepared as possible. Hi Jason, D&D's a lot of fun, and fun for all age groups. I've been playing it for about 27 years now, and have shared a comic store public gaming table with new players as young as 12 yrs old. It's a tabletop Role-Playing Game (RPG), which is kind of like improvisational character acting meets small-scale tabletop wargaming.&nbsp; I'd recommend anyone new begin by watching a few D&D intro. videos on YouTube. Try this link:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3UNCnBnWg&list=P" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3UNCnBnWg&list=P</a>... After that, watch a few videos about the online Roll20 virtual tabletop. Try this link: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/user/MsRoll20/playlists" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/user/MsRoll20/playlists</a> This will get you started. Have fun!
I'm in the market for a tablet that can run&nbsp;Roll20 for Android. Could somebody direct me to the appropriate place to discuss such things?
Not sure whether to post this here... or in Looking for Group... but here it goes.... Look time DM looking to try and start a campaign here. I tinkered around with it a little, but the main test is try and actually run something. So I was looking for an experienced Roll20 DM to sit in on a solo game for an afternoon and give pointers on what I am doing wrong/right. Beggars cannot be choosers so if you are interested in helping a gent out, please sling me a PM with times you are available. Thanks for reading
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Axiom . said: Not sure whether to post this here... or in Looking for Group... but here it goes.... You'd probably get better responses by posting in Looking For Groups. &nbsp;Experienced GMs and Players will be looking at what pops up in that group, whereas relatively few people of your target audience will look at this thread.
Thanks for the heads up!
Hello! I've played a few games before, but I have a question about starting my own game. How do I start and advertise a game as a PLAYER? When I clicked "Start a New Game" it automatically made me GM. Now, I did see the option to "rejoin as a player" and I clicked it, but what I do NOT see is an option to advertise the game and search for new players. I think I must be missing something because it must be there somewhere, but I'd appreciate some advice. Also, how do I rename or delete the game I've started?
To rename a game, click the current name on the game's Game Details page (see the wiki: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Campaign_Management#Game_D" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Campaign_Management#Game_D</a>... To delete a game, use&nbsp;the Settings dropdown on the Game Details page (see the wiki: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Campaign_Management#Settin" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Campaign_Management#Settin</a>... To find a GM, you may want to use the Looking for Group feature of the site ( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Looking_for_Group#Create_Looking_for_Group_Listings" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Looking_for_Group#Create_Looking_for_Group_Listings</a> ) or post on the Looking for Group forum (<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/22" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/22</a>).
If roll20 says 12am. , does it mean noon or midnight?

Edited 1488247776
12 am is Midnight. Some game schedulers will shift game start times to 5 minutes before or after the hour, just to make this very clear.
Hello. &nbsp;I too am new to the world of D&D... I almost married a DM years ago... he never even offered to teach me (just one of many reason's he's an ex). &nbsp;A bunch of friends wanted to start a game so I got excited and we made plans to meet up. &nbsp;Well.... that never happened (it's been 2 months). &nbsp;My sister lives in another state from me and she plays on here and said that this is the best way to learn. &nbsp;I read the OP and the links. &nbsp;Now I'm looking for a mentor. &nbsp;If anyone is willing to help, I'm appreciative.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Shari. Welcome to roll20. Your best chance to find someone to teach you is to look over our&nbsp; LFG forum for games and use our&nbsp; game search engine with the welcomes new player filter so you can find a game that interest you then communicate with the GM your interest.
Hey all... new to roll20, coming from Fantasy Grounds. Just want to check Roll20 out and see if it will be easier.&nbsp; Im a bit lost tho... the Market place doesnt seem to have much organization. What Im curious about is where to get the rulesets to plug in to the game. Like in FG if u want to run Savage Worlds, you buy the ruleset and select it when creating a campaign... then ur off and running. Here in roll20 all I see is 5e and PF.&nbsp; Where are all the other rulesets?
Greetings UrbanMonk - Our compendium has the OGL rule sets for both Pathfinder and 5E as you mentioned. However, most systems are best supported by their character sheets and their built in functionality - try&nbsp; creating a game with the&nbsp;Savage Worlds sheet to see this functionality. Additionally, Savage Worlds has a page on our wiki to help you understand how to best play via Roll20: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds</a>
Hello everyone! New to the scene, just wondering, and may be a dumb question, but how does video work? Skype? Also, if I am looking to get into a 3.5 weekly game, how would I go about it? Sorry if these are obvious answers!!
I need help making a character back ground for my lvl 1 warlock traits -Researcher -There's nothing I like more than a good mystery. -Self improvement- The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself -My life's work is a series of tomes related to a specified field of lore. -Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy. Trinket -A small locked box that quietly hums a lovely melody at night but you always forget it in the morning Pact of the old gods may be important also Also i think i want more of a Lovecraft theme as i plan on making my character go insane as he lvls up as a warlock
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Azert, you should head over to some of these sites RPG ADnD DnD Pathfinder as your post is request falls along the lines of being offtopic for roll20 forums. Due to time constraints in keeping Roll20 going, we only allow discussion directly related to the interface here on the forums. You might try using another forum site like X for help with your question. There are many other sites than those shown above so good luck.
Can you make your character&nbsp; sheet public? We have a cooperative game, but it's hard without seeing eachother skills and other stats. Maybe DM can make them public in that exact game?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Austine T., there is no way to allow others to see your character sheets without allowing other players to edit your sheets.&nbsp; If you're fine with this and trust each other, the GM can set 'All Players' to control each sheet and this will get you what you were looking for.

Edited 1489641789
Thank you for clarifying. This is just silly, that you can't show them without allowing editing as well
Hello, just started using Roll20 because half of the players in my campaign are moving out of state and we want to keep the campaign moving along. I have been working with the Map Editor and have Fog of war Enabled for a dungeon but when I switch to Player mode it is all black, even after I had revealed several areas as a GM. Is there something I am doing wrong?&nbsp;
Derek K. said: Hello, just started using Roll20 because half of the players in my campaign are moving out of state and we want to keep the campaign moving along. I have been working with the Map Editor and have Fog of war Enabled for a dungeon but when I switch to Player mode it is all black, even after I had revealed several areas as a GM. Is there something I am doing wrong?&nbsp; Derek do you have a token that is assigned to you on the token layer of the map when you enter player mode?
jbokcrusader said: Derek K. said: Hello, just started using Roll20 because half of the players in my campaign are moving out of state and we want to keep the campaign moving along. I have been working with the Map Editor and have Fog of war Enabled for a dungeon but when I switch to Player mode it is all black, even after I had revealed several areas as a GM. Is there something I am doing wrong?&nbsp; Derek do you have a token that is assigned to you on the token layer of the map when you enter player mode? I honestly don't think so/know. I just created a few different pages for my next session and wanted to see how the fog of war looked from the player perspective and all I got was black both times. I just started using the editor earlier today and the tutorial felt a tad rushed so I am trying to learn by trial and error.
I couldn't find anything on this specifically, but, to be clear. I am allowed to create my own materials such as; maps, tokens, and apply my own rules to my own game right? I don't have a requirement to play one of the campaigns on site?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hex said: I couldn't find anything on this specifically, but, to be clear. I am allowed to create my own materials such as; maps, tokens, and apply my own rules to my own game right? I don't have a requirement to play one of the campaigns on site? Correct, Roll20 is system agnostic at its core. You can utilise the VTT however you wish :)
Ziechael said: Hex said: I couldn't find anything on this specifically, but, to be clear. I am allowed to create my own materials such as; maps, tokens, and apply my own rules to my own game right? I don't have a requirement to play one of the campaigns on site? Correct, Roll20 is system agnostic at its core. You can utilise the VTT however you wish :) Thank you for the fast reply! I am grateful I can bring my works to use on the site. Before I got myself onto Roll 20, and considered using it. I had used Skype, Microsoft word, and the Microsoft built in paint tool for the maps. Safe to say. It's not very pleasant. This ingenious system will save me an extreme amount of hassle. =)
Hello all! Just started getting into table tops, and would love to have someone teach me/join a campaign with a group of understanding players. I know very little, but really want to learn. I work a variety of schedules for work, but am always avaliable on the weekends! So yeah, Hi!

Edited 1490964248
Hi all, new user here! I was looking into roll20 to start a new campaign of a relatively new italian RPG called "Anime e Sangue". This peculiar RPG allow the players to roll multiple d20 and to add the same results togheter, for example, if I roll 4d20 an get 10-6-6-4 my total will be 12 (6+6=12 wich is higher than 10), and, in the upcoming second edition, all "doubles" will add all togheter; as example, 4d20, 10-10-6-6=32. there it is a command line/macro which allow this kind of rolls?
Need help i joined to help other Veterans get out and get online to play various types of games. I am trying to create Characters by using game sheets from 5th D&D but I need a step by step process is there YouTube for this ? I am a subscriber, please is there a way to crate a character on a sheet that auto fills the attirbutes ? Frustrated&nbsp;