Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Thanks a lot, both Silvyre and Pat.  I just have one more question.  How will that work with using one mike for both of us?  Do you know if this will be a problem?

Edited 1456633889
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
That might be a problem. Can't do a headset as that is for one person so you will have to use a boom mic but if you also have speakers there could be feedback. I think for you specific case, you will need headphones or earbuds for each of you instead of speakers (unless you have the speakers far enough away from the mic). Other than feedback, there is nothing to keep you from using a mic and speakers.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Wendell, this discussion should actually have it's own individual thread instead of stuck in this welcome thread.
Pat S. said: Wendell, this discussion should actually have it's own individual thread instead of stuck in this welcome thread. Oh, I'm sorry.  I saw a bunch of questions earlier and thought this was the place for it.  I must have confused it for another part of the forum.  Thanks for the help.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is ok. It is just that this discussion might be of benefit of having more eyes seeing it as most people ignore this thread usually.

Edited 1456686479
I have a couple of questions, the first is what would you recommend for creating enemies? Currently I am trying to use the character sheet to generate templates for enemies and then assigning them to tokens. Is this the right way to go about doing it?
Rylin J. said: I have a couple of questions, the first is what would you recommend for creating enemies? Currently I am trying to use the character sheet to generate templates for enemies and then assigning them to tokens. Is this the right way to go about doing it? I set up attributes and abilities on sheet for enemies and set abilities as token actions and then link and set sheet to token.  I do make ability ask for query in case I want to give a particular enemy a bonus.  Do not link hit points of the token with the sheet,
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
jbokcrusader said: Rylin J. said: I have a couple of questions, the first is what would you recommend for creating enemies? Currently I am trying to use the character sheet to generate templates for enemies and then assigning them to tokens. Is this the right way to go about doing it? I set up attributes and abilities on sheet for enemies and set abilities as token actions and then link and set sheet to token.  I do make ability ask for query in case I want to give a particular enemy a bonus.  Do not link hit points of the token with the sheet, Take a look at  linking tokens to journals on the wiki. That should explain the process of using character sheets linked to tokens. If you have a question please post it in it's own individual thread in the  specific use forum .
Is there a dedicated place on roll20's website for error reports for the 5e Compendium? I noticed a typo in the Giant Elk entry but don't know where to report it.

Edited 1456800842
Silvyre
Forum Champion
John H. said: Is there a dedicated place on roll20's website for error reports for the 5e Compendium? I noticed a typo in the Giant Elk entry but don't know where to report it. Yup! It would be very helpful if you posted any bug reports regarding the  5th Edition SRD Compendium in the following thread: Update 1/26: 5th Edition SRD Mega-Update: New Sheet, New Compendium, plus Compendium drag-and-drop integration! Thanks!
Silvyre said: John H. said: Is there a dedicated place on roll20's website for error reports for the 5e Compendium? I noticed a typo in the Giant Elk entry but don't know where to report it. Yup! It would be very helpful if you posted any bug reports regarding the  5th Edition SRD Compendium in the following thread: Update 1/26: 5th Edition SRD Mega-Update: New Sheet, New Compendium, plus Compendium drag-and-drop integration! Thanks! Great, thanks! I posted the error in that thread.
being new to d20 i do have question on how certain features work such as the voice and video options.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Chris, our  wiki has loads of information at your finger tips such as you ask about the  voice and video options. You need two or more people for it to be automatically activated but you can also go into your  settings inside the game and change some of the them depending on what you want. You can set it up for voice only or even text only.
Hi there so I'm very new to RP stuff and would like to know how to get started playing, like for example, what is a character sheet, do I make one before I play with people? Or do I just go in with new characters every time? 
Generally you make a character idea to join with, if you like take a look at my game listing to get a general idea. As to character sheets, theyre blocks of stats such as strength constitution dexterity  etc.
I have some files that you can look at might make since
Hey once you are listed as a player for a game how do you join said game?
Hello all! I'm really new to tabletop RPG's with my only experience being Heroquest. I have a general idea of how games run but don't know any of the rule sets. I would love to get involved in a campaign but I am worried of slowing the experience down for everyone else so a few questions before I apply for a campaign. Which game would be the best to start with? I'm interested in the fantasy setting of D&D but unsure which version would be most suitable for a noob. How much of the rules would I need to learn? I assume learning what "actions" I can take would help, but does the GM guide players through which stats they need to roll with etc. Would it frustrate players if I chose a random class rather than min-maxxing? I like the idea of being a Dwarf Monk but the class and race seem to work against each other. Would my group have to end up carrying me? Are there any classes/races that are suited for less experienced players? Sorry for the wall and thanks for reading! Cheers for any help!
Take a look at my game, my game is not exactly everyones game, but each GM/player has a different game to their preference.
I am a GM of a game, not a player. I like sci-fi and so I am getting some players. Let me know if you care to play the rules are from the 1950's
Zach J. and Jupes J. Zach look at last post. Jupes read all you can it well give any newbee a better playing enjoyment. I am working with a Gaming Con in western Viriginia and the liberay  in the area are really a help for we are using the games to get the kids to read.

Edited 1457551890
Jupes J. said: Hello all! I'm really new to tabletop RPG's with my only experience being Heroquest. I have a general idea of how games run but don't know any of the rule sets. I would love to get involved in a campaign but I am worried of slowing the experience down for everyone else so a few questions before I apply for a campaign. Which game would be the best to start with? I'm interested in the fantasy setting of D&D but unsure which version would be most suitable for a noob. How much of the rules would I need to learn? I assume learning what "actions" I can take would help, but does the GM guide players through which stats they need to roll with etc. Would it frustrate players if I chose a random class rather than min-maxxing? I like the idea of being a Dwarf Monk but the class and race seem to work against each other. Would my group have to end up carrying me? Are there any classes/races that are suited for less experienced players? Sorry for the wall and thanks for reading! Cheers for any help! Hey, my group is looking for a new player. We play D&D 4th edition, and I'm certainly willing to teach you how to play. The different editions are more or less a taste preference. I could explain a few of the differences between them, but I really only know how to actually play 4th. I'll message you if your still interested.
Where's the dam purchase button for the adventure quarterly 5 it's say purchase on any other mod but I can't find the button to buy the bundle???????
Hi Kenneth - Can you check this link:&nbsp;<a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/1/adventure-quarterly-number-5/" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/1/adventure-quarterly-number-5/</a> - is that what you are looking for? If not shoot us an email at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>, so we can continue to help.
Very new to this type of game. I've been watching games on YouTube and really want to play and learn more. I will play anything really just want to play and learn.
Hello i'm new to this and i don't have a mic or face cam, will i still be able to play with others?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Yes Demetri. Most GM's run games that require voice (mic) but not all require cameras so it depends on the GM's and how they wish their games to run.
I can't seem to see to the character sheet under the journal tab in my GM's game that I joined. Is there something that I am missing?
Has he given you a sheet? The Gm has to hand out character sheets
Is there a certain place on here where someone would be willing to overlook my DnD 5th Edition character sheets to review and give feedback?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Oracle S. said: Is there a certain place on here where someone would be willing to overlook my DnD 5th Edition character sheets to review and give feedback? From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to seek feedback on D&D characters/builds: /r/3d6 /r/dndnext /r/dnd /r/rpg
Silvyre said: Oracle S. said: Is there a certain place on here where someone would be willing to overlook my DnD 5th Edition character sheets to review and give feedback? From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to seek feedback on D&D characters/builds: /r/3d6 /r/dndnext /r/dnd /r/rpg Thank you.
Can I save my encounters I make and use them again in another campaign?
Hello! Veteran GM, new to roll20. I feel somewhat lost on some things even after watching the tutorial. First real question I have is that I'm prepping my campaign, but I cannot find character sheets to use for my NPCs. Where do I find them?
How does one go about creating a 5E character to play with?

Edited 1460373439
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
smashkeys said: Can I save my encounters I make and use them again in another campaign? Can you make a thread in the&nbsp; specific question forum with more detail about what you mean? I don't know if you mean a journal entry, a map page, or something else. Matthew said: Hello! Veteran GM, new to roll20. I feel somewhat lost on some things even after watching the tutorial. First real question I have is that I'm prepping my campaign, but I cannot find character sheets to use for my NPCs. Where do I find them? It depends on what sheet you use. If it is the tabbed Savage Worlds sheet, you have a sheet button that will change it to the mook sheet. If it is another sheet, I'm not familiar enough with the various sheets to comment on them otherwise nothing can stop you from filling out the sheet with just the info you need. If you have more questions please make a new thread&nbsp;in the specific question forum with you &nbsp;questions. You will get more people looking at it if you do that. Nathan E. said: How does one go about creating a 5E character to play with? If you are asking about the character sheet, your GM has to assign a blank one to you in the game. If you are asking about how to create a sheet in your own game, please look at our wiki&nbsp; journal page. It explains how to add a sheet to your game in more detail than this thread is for. If you are asking about how to create the actual character then you will have to go to another site as that would be off topic for these forums. From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/ADND
So I'm new and I was wondering how exactly the process of creating a character and getting it to the GM goes?

Edited 1460521956
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Marcello D. said: So I'm new and I was wondering how exactly the process of creating a character and getting it to the GM goes? You talk to the GM through Pm's or their LFG page listing and after they invite you in, they help you with it. Anything more along the lines of how to build a character through the use of your system such as what character class or race should be discussed on another site that is more appropriate to that system and not in the community forums. From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/ADND /r/Pathfinder_RPG /r/savageworlds /r/shadowrun /r/swrpg /r/40krpg /r/warhammerfantasyrpg /r/WhiteWolfRPG /r/LFG
Hi so im not new (but still newish) to D&D 3.5 but i am new to roll20 with that said im looking for a game to play in. I did look through some games but it started getting intimidating some people look very picky with their players and im not sure how to handle that also because most of the d&d 3.5 games seem to be run on times i cant play. Should i look for a 4e or 5e game? Is it much diffrent from 3.5? Should i just apply to games and hope for the best? Just looking for advice in general on how to go about this site i guess.&nbsp;
sara s. said: Hi so im not new (but still newish) to D&D 3.5 but i am new to roll20 with that said im looking for a game to play in. I did look through some games but it started getting intimidating some people look very picky with their players and im not sure how to handle that also because most of the d&d 3.5 games seem to be run on times i cant play. Should i look for a 4e or 5e game? Is it much diffrent from 3.5? Should i just apply to games and hope for the best? Just looking for advice in general on how to go about this site i guess.&nbsp; Dungeons and Dragons 5E&nbsp;is what I play the majority of the time. I am not sure about the people hosting games being less strict, but it is definitely a much easier system to learn than fourth edition D&D (know from experience,) and more frequently accepts new players. If you do decide to switch, that is what I would suggest if you want to get into a game quickly. I would not recommend just applying and hoping for the best, but sending the GM a message with any questions you have about the game can help you learn more about both the campaign and the GM. Good luck! ~Sincerely, RiftTalon

Edited 1461330518
What does " Playing Pathfinder" mean? I've also seen it say&nbsp;" Playing &nbsp;Shadowrun". I can't find any info about this in the wiki. Also seen it say&nbsp; D&D 5E Which I have vaguely heard of before but I still don't get what it means by "playing"? I have read through the entire thread and tutorials too.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This site is a virtual tabletop site for pen and paper games. Playing Pathfinder, Playing Shadowrun, etc... is shorthand for roleplaying a character with those specific game systems in whatever fictionalized world the GM (Game Master) or DM (Dungeon Master) or a half dozen other titles that the person that runs the game is called. Think of it as you are actor in an improv theater and the GM is the director (That is very over simplistic but it conveys the idea I think).
Pat S. said: This site is a virtual tabletop site for pen and paper games. Playing Pathfinder, Playing Shadowrun, etc... is shorthand for roleplaying a character with those specific game systems in whatever fictionalized world the GM (Game Master) or DM (Dungeon Master) or a half dozen other titles that the person that runs the game is called. Think of it as you are actor in an improv theater and the GM is the director (That is very over simplistic but it conveys the idea I think). I think I understand what you're saying, so Pathfinder and Shadowrun are "pen and paper" games along the same vein as D&D?&nbsp; I've tried to find the rules to these games because from what I can see the "GM" (am I using that term in the correct instance?) doesn't provide it on their post, making me assume it's on us to acquaint ourselves with the rules. However, all I can find are references to buy the book for nearly $50. Is this necessary in order to participate or is there a way to participate for free?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Roll20 does not force you to purchase a book or such to play. For some games you can find free information (OGL which is open source or freeware) but for some others you might have to pay for a book unless the GM wishes to help you build and learn the system. Most GM's are usually willing to do that. Non-Roll20 sites Pathfinder SRD (System Resource Document) can be found at&nbsp; <a href="http://www.d20pfsrd.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.d20pfsrd.com</a>. Any questions about the system will have to be asked in their forums or at&nbsp; <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG" rel="nofollow">http://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG</a>. Shadowrun cost money to purchase but you can ask about it at&nbsp; <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/shadowrun" rel="nofollow">http://www.reddit.com/r/shadowrun</a> There are other sites that cater to system questions but roll20 is focused on roll20 features such as how to make macros, how to create journals, etc... anything else is considered off-topic and will be closed.

Edited 1461341703
Silvyre
Forum Champion
A B. said: I think I understand what you're saying, so Pathfinder and Shadowrun are "pen and paper" games along the same vein as D&D? Indeed. Paizo (Pathfinder's publisher) describes Pathfinder as "an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of [D&D]". Wikipedia describes Shadowrun as "a science fantasy tabletop role-playing game set in a near-future fictional universe in which cybernetics, magic and fantasy creatures co-exist." Paizo has released a lot of OGL content under its Pathfinder Reference Document . Conveniently, much of this information can accessed directly via Roll20's Pathfinder Compendium . Every edition of Shadowrun (5th is the most recent and most popular on Roll20) has a free "quick-start" guide. Like Pat said, system-specific discussion beyond this should be held in those subreddits.
Thank you both for your help and the links. It's cleared up a lot of confusion.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You are welcomed and go to the first post of this thread and watch the videos. They will help you understand more about roll20 and roleplaying games in general.
Long time DM and Player, first day here. I joined/paid to be able to use the Character Vault, but see no way of creating characters to put in the vault. Is that managed per campaign? Basically looking to join some 5e campaigns, and thought it would be helpful to have my characters for any AL/Organized play loaded and ready to go.&nbsp; I did search the FAQ, and here, and think I may be fundamentally be missing something or failing to grasp a concept. (several natural 1's with negatives heaped on). Any guidance as to how I might add characters to the vault would be welcome. Wrich