Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

can a ogre use cannon like a gun in pathfinder
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
AJ t. said: Hello. I am new to Roll20, I have played DnD before but it was years ago now and iv more or less forgot the rules. I do have a intrest in DnD or maybe GURPS, or some games like that, I am dyslexic so reading the rule books isn't easy for me and it helps if someone taught me. I know its probably a stupid question but if someone could spare the time and help me get started with one of these games (or any game of their choice which isn't that hard to start) then please reply to this or message me, thank you (by the way im from the UK, so it would be easir if it was some one from the UK o who can work with UK times) Dylan V. said: Hey everybody, I am new to tabletop RPG but not table top, i enjoy Warhammer 40k tabletop but i am looking to get into possibly a 40k rpg table top and definitely DnD (or something smiliar) i havent played in forever and i have completely lost touch, what do i need to get to start gaming? Hi AJ and Dylan. Welcome to Roll20. You'll find that the community here is really friendly and supportive, whether you are new to a system or only experience in offline play it won't matter. First of all I would refer you to Avacyn's welcome blurb at the top: Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! After which i would highly recommend browsing the wiki which has a real wealth of information and will help introduce you to the various mechanics you'll find while playing here. You don't need to master them (unless you make the brave step to become a DM!) but familiarity with Roll20 and how it works is a definite bonus to finding a game. Next and most importantly, head on over to the Looking for Group Forum , this (combined with the LFG tool in the blue bar menu at the top) are essentially your gateway to gaming heaven (or the paradise of your chosing...). Take your time to browse the forums, look to see what other players have listed and are hoping for and remember, there are many more players than GM's so have patience and you will be rewarded. When you are ready, make a listing, tell the world a bit about yourself, where you are (timezone wise), what times you are available to play, your preferred systems and even your preferred playing style (although this is something that can limit your appeal). Once you are listed you can either sit back and wait for a GM to find you or alternatively go looking for a GM, carry on browsing the forums looking for that perfect game. New games are listed ALL OF THE TIME. Don't just reply to a thread with 'i'm interest', put some effort into your application and you'll get noticed soon enough. Most of all, don't worry about being new to a system or having to pick up the rules as you go along... most GM's offer full support for new players and if in doubt try to take part in some of the one-shot games to learn the basics quickly and without having to worry about slowing things down in a long campaign. I know i've said 'most of all' and 'most importantly' already but the most important thing of all is: HAVE FUN!

Edited 1431506112
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
daniel r. said: can a ogre use cannon like a gun in pathfinder Hi Daniel, the Roll20 forums are reserved exclusively for questions etc that relate directly to Roll20 and its use. I would recommend directing questions of this nature to more targeted forums such as <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/" rel="nofollow">http://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/</a> On a side note, i sincerely hope the answer is yes as that would be AWESOME!
Thanks did not realize I posted this in the wrong place
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No problem at all, I will take this as an opportunity to point all future readers to the Roll20 Code of Conduct . Specifically the intended use section in this case. Never worry about asking a question though, hopefully you'll get the answer on reddit :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
daniel r. said: can a ogre use cannon like a gun in pathfinder While waiting for an answer on reddit, take a look on the Pathfinder SRD about firearms (Inappropriately Sized Firearms). There is also a forum at the Pathfinder SRD site you can ask there also (probably but I don't know for sure as I never used it)
MysterX said Hi Langley, I'm still learning this stuff myself, but try it in this format and see if that gets you going: [[1d10+3]] If you really want to get fancy you could try [[1d10+@{fighter_level}]] you might need to check the attributes tab if you use a different character sheet than the one I did, in case fighter_level has some other name. That worked. Thanks a bunch!
Hey there I am Tom and well I found this site and was hoping to finally get to play some table top games with people and make new friends, however my biggest issue is the fact I am new to the whole thing and would like to learn more about some of the table top games, and found that this would be my best way to get to play with others
I am seeking help in a problem I've been having. During me and my friends games it's quite annoying to constantly keep changing everyone's health when something happens. I know I can give them permissions to edit their own health, but with that they can change it over the Maximum health I set up already. So my question is, is there any way to disable changing health over the Maximum?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Tomack Sterlington said: Hey there I am Tom and well I found this site and was hoping to finally get to play some table top games with people and make new friends, however my biggest issue is the fact I am new to the whole thing and would like to learn more about some of the table top games, and found that this would be my best way to get to play with others Welcome Tomack, you've certainly come to the right place, check out my earlier post for some tips to get up and running :)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Heya, Tom. Welcome to Roll20. First off, in case your browser dumped you at the bottom of the thread and you didn't see our welcome at the start: Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Secondly, if you go to the very top of the page and click on ' Looking for Group ', you'll be taken to our LFG tool. Once there, if you click on ' Advanced Search Options ', you can choose to only display games welcoming new players. Check back daily for games meeting your preferences, and be sure to finish filling out your personal profile to give yourself a more polished look. Browse the forums a bit, and if you run into Roll20 issues, feel free to write a post in the Specific Use Questions forum and one or more of our helpful members will be glad to assist. Good luck and good gaming!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
christopher L. said: I am seeking help in a problem I've been having. During me and my friends games it's quite annoying to constantly keep changing everyone's health when something happens. I know I can give them permissions to edit their own health, but with that they can change it over the Maximum health I set up already. So my question is, is there any way to disable changing health over the Maximum? Christopher, I feel your frustration. The short answer to your question is "Not without API, which requires a mentor-level subscription". To discuss the matter in deeper detail, write up a post for the 'Specific Use Questions' forum.

Edited 1431686834
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
christopher L. said: I am seeking help in a problem I've been having. During me and my friends games it's quite annoying to constantly keep changing everyone's health when something happens. I know I can give them permissions to edit their own health, but with that they can change it over the Maximum health I set up already. So my question is, is there any way to disable changing health over the Maximum? Hi Christopher, there is likely a way to do as you want with the API (a mentor level perk) but otherwise a GM has to trust their players. If the tokens are linked to character sheets then an unscrupulous player could just go to their sheet and change the values there and it would affect the token. Making them manage their own health is advisable but so is keeping a note of each players max each time they level up and keep an eye out for players who abuse the trust you put in them. Players who cheat are only cheating themselves and can easily be removed from a campaign or punished in game (have all of their equipment stolen by an astral magpie for example).
hi im new to this all together, i was thinking of trying some D&D so if your into that and helping people. send me a message ! :D
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi Azeshigh, I would recommend you posting your request in the Looking for group forum. You might get more responses there where more people will see it. Please include the day and time along with your timezone, which version of D&D, how much experience (if any) you have with gaming in general (or D&D in particular). Then you will want to use the looking for game search engine (up above in the blue banner) and look for a game that might interest you and post in their Looking for players forum the same you just posted in the general group forum. After all that, have patience, wait for a response to your post. While waiting, please watch the videos in the original post of this thread to get a heads up on so roll20 and gaming basic. I quoted it below to help you. Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming!
Hey. I am completely new to all of this. Joined after i saw a few videos of people playing this and thought it looked fun. It is quite overwhelming when logging on and don't really know where to start.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Danny, welcome to the site. just above your post is a copy of the original post. Watch those videos then just follow my advice I have given to other new members. Good luck and have fun.
hey are theare any guides or alike on how to acsess / use the FX features in the system?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The FX tool is mentor level feature. A little more about it is here in <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Toolbox_Overview" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Toolbox_Overview</a>
Hi guy i am new onnthis site ans indont know wjat aventure takebfor first time, i sée "simply système" pls if you Knox other easy aventure say tot me :) (sorry for bad englis

Edited 1432064599
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hi Bodile and welcome to Roll20. There's some good advice in prior posts for how to get started, and I'm going to copy one of them here that applies: First off, in case your browser dumped you at the bottom of the thread and you didn't see our welcome at the start: Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Secondly, if you go to the very top of the page and click on ' Looking for Group ', you'll be taken to our LFG tool. Once there, if you click on ' Advanced Search Options ', you can choose to only display games welcoming new players. Check back daily for games meeting your preferences, and be sure to finish filling out your personal profile to give yourself a more polished look. Browse the forums a bit, and if you run into Roll20 issues, feel free to write a post in the Specific Use Questions forum and one or more of our helpful members will be glad to assist. Good luck and good gaming! (Thanks for the prose, GenKitty!)

Edited 1432067983
I've recently been watching Critical Role on Geek and Sundry and It's really spiked my interest in playing D&D. I have half a dozen windows open on how to start playing on this site and was just curious, does anyone host short games strictly to teach new players the basics and help them get a feel for how games go here? Thanks for any help.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Absolutely! You should be able to find those in the Looking for Group Tool . I know there are people that host 1-shots every couple weeks. Look for ones that "Welcomes New Players." You might also want to put a post in the Looking for Group forum stating you're looking for a DnD 5e or whatever system is your preference (or just by genre) 1-shot. Happy gaming!

Edited 1432199811
Hello, first time caller long time listener... Long story short... things happened and I ended up running two parellel campaigns, which caused some logistic issues. Is there anyway for me to share a private forum between two campaigns, so I could dumb all the rules and homebrew to one place and be done with it? The campaigns overlap quite a bit... And yes, I could use the vault(seriously considering it), but I really need a forum for my players. - not a dropbox.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Tomi. You could create the core campaign that has all the rules and homebrew info then clone or extend it. This will create a mirror copy of the campaign at that moment. It will still be two forums but it will be mirrored until you start adding or editing each campaign.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
An alternate, albeit slightly fiddly solution, would be to add ALL of the players from both campaigns to the campaign with the main forum you want them to see. It gets fiddly as you'd then need to be sure to catch the players as they accessed it and put any who aren't allowed to see the campaign maps etc onto a special 'this aint your campaign, close your eyes and ears' splash page. However they would still be able to see the chat which would suck but any respectful and fair players wouldn't access the campaign anyway, just the forums. The extreme alternative would be to create a THIRD campaign! This would be the information hub that ALL players would have access to... since you are already running two, why not three ;)

Edited 1432206790
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Or you could just create a wiki with all the info and just reference it for the campaigns.
Hi, I am brand new to tabletop rpg's and I don't know how to begin I have a friend who talks about pathfinder and it sounds like a lot of fun, that is the one I would like to play. The problem I am having is the rules, I looked at plenty of rules online and there are so many variations. Then I was looking for a group and they have variations as well. It's really daunting I have no doubt it would be easy to pick up if I could play, but I am worried about even requesting to play in a group, and then making myself disruptive to the other players due to me being a confused noob. Any suggestions? Or is this one of those grit your teeth and do it things
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Heya, Wolfbane. Welcome to Roll20. First off, in case your browser dumped you at the bottom of the thread and you didn't see our welcome at the start: Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Secondly, if you go to the very top of the page and click on ' Looking for Group ', you'll be taken to our LFG tool. Once there, if you click on ' Advanced Search Options ', you can choose to only display games welcoming new players. Check back daily for games meeting your preferences. I see you've filled in your profile, that's a great first step! Browse the forums a bit, and if you run into Roll20 issues, feel free to write a post in the Specific Use Questions forum and one or more of our helpful members will be glad to assist. Good luck and good gaming!
Hello all. I'm new to this site and am very much interested in trying things out. I do have a question however in regards to character sheets (I looked through this thread and couldn't find this question specifically) - for the base version it says that characters can not be transferred from one game to another. What does this mean exactly? Say I start a new campaign, and we play for a couple hours and decide we'll pick it up again in a few days, will that count as two separate games and so created PCs cant not be used? What constitutes a game, or am I completely misconstruing things? Thanks for any help!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
When it says that, it means a single campaign. Campaigns are created under an account and are persisted indefinitely. You can join enter the same campaign again at any later point and pick up where you left off. So, if you create a second campaign, you aren't able to move characters from one to the other. There is a tool in the Mentor Perks that lets you move maps and characters and handouts and such between campaigns. You can always copy/extend a campaign you have to create a new campaign, and in that case it will have it's own copy of everything in the first campaign. If you have some time, I'd recommend watching the videos in the first post, as I believe they do a good job of explaining the basics.
The Aaron said: When it says that, it means a single campaign. Campaigns are created under an account and are persisted indefinitely. You can join enter the same campaign again at any later point and pick up where you left off. So, if you create a second campaign, you aren't able to move characters from one to the other. There is a tool in the Mentor Perks that lets you move maps and characters and handouts and such between campaigns. You can always copy/extend a campaign you have to create a new campaign, and in that case it will have it's own copy of everything in the first campaign. If you have some time, I'd recommend watching the videos in the first post, as I believe they do a good job of explaining the basics. Thanks for the quick and informative response. I've looked through the videos and what not, they're very helpful.
Hi i'm brand new to TRPG and would like to learn
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! I quoted the first post for your convenience Willem. Watch the videos to understand about the roll20 TRPG.
My Name is Katherine. I would love to play D&D again but it has been YEARS, as in I was 17 and I am not 38. lol I am looking to join a new group as I would have to start out at level one. I am working on my Character now, so far I am trying to research as much as possible the Tieflings race as I want to play a Tieflings Cleric. This summer, we plan on using our other computers, ( we have four) to get my boys on line too. We would love to play as a family. My sons are 9 and 11 and really want to play! My youngest wants to be a mag/wizard, Older boy wants to be a Ranger, Hubby a warrior me a cleric ( though if I could be a SW that would rock!!! ( but that is only on NeverWinter game....) I am looking for someone to take on my family to be the DM and help us learn to play and have fun. I would LOVE to find a DM in Jacksonville NC to come over and play in person as well. But for now we would settle for this too. I want my own little game with out the family though so if there is any one out there willing to take on a noob, let me know. I have no character yet, I have an Idea what it is...as I said a Tieflings cleric.... though I like the idea of a Tieflings or Drow Ranger. if any one is willing to help me I welcome it!!! thank you for your time Kat
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Welcome to Roll20, Katherine. Your best bet for the family game is to take what you posted here and post it in the Looking for Group forum . For your tiefling cleric, on the other hand, use the Looking for Group tool to look daily for games that meet your desires and follow all the directions the GM gives for applying to the game. To help you stand a cut above the masses, finish filling out your profile. Be aware the ratio of GMs to Players is not in your favor. Good luck!
I recently joined since the GM of a pbp game I am in is using the site for maps. Is there a way to center the map on your token when logging in other than searching for it using the side/bottom bars?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The GM can shift-ping all logged in players to a location, but there isn't a what for a player to do it themselves or a GM to do it for players that aren't logged in. If your GM is a mentor, there might be some API solutions. You could also add an aura to your token which might make it easier to find.
So, I want to DM, and I've played around with roll20 before, but haven't bought anything. Because, they are mostly DM things, so what do I need buy that'll make DMing easyier?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Keenan m. said: So, I want to DM, and I've played around with roll20 before, but haven't bought anything. Because, they are mostly DM things, so what do I need buy that'll make DMing easyier? The beauty of Roll20 is that you don't need to buy anything really. A simple notebook or text document to help you keep track of things outside of the internet, deciding on a structure for your campaign and preparing handouts before hand, both for plot and for commonly used rules and generally doing as much of it yourself as you can means that you won't need to sink funds into it. That being said, if you want quick encounter maps, tokens for your players or other artwork at your fingertips then i would highly recommend perusing the sets available on the marketplace , there is some awesome stuff there. I would also recommend spending a lot of time browsing the wiki (which is free ;) ) for hints and tips which could well help you create a campaign that has cost you nothing but your own time. However, as you are wanting to DM I would also highly recommend looking at investing in a subscription (i'm slightly bias but was a mentor within days of deciding to DM). The options subscription opens up are infinite, especially at mentor level with the API (just take a look at some of the scripts out there already!). And the best thing is that if your players agree to help out the cost becomes minimal... and they benefit from your subscription within your campaign too!! Overall, there is literally nothing that you'll need to buy that will make it easier, there are many things that you could buy if you were inclined but your time will be the most expensive aspect by far :)
where do you go to create character sheets

Edited 1433621168
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Cassie. Short story, you have to be a mentor to create a sheet in roll20. Long story, you can use a 3rd party software that handles html, css, and the other stuff to build the basics and have someone test the code for you but you would not be able to yourself unless you were a mentor. For a better explanation I would recommend you reading the custom sheet section (or the whole page) of the wiki page then asking your questions in the character sheet forum.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Character sheet use is free for everyone. There is a Journals & Handouts tab above the chat-pane, and that's where the GM goes to 'Add' characters and handouts. Once a character is added, the GM can then click on that character and 'edit' it to assign control of the character to none, one, or multiple of the players in the game. Players need to have logged into the campaign at least once for the GM to be able to assign control of a character to them. Once a player can control a character, the player can start filling in whichever character sheet the GM chose for the campaign (if any), which is something the GM does through 'Campaign Settings' on the 'Campaign Details' page.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks Genkitty, I totally looked at it as creating custom sheets not the basic creating sheets. Thank for that catch.
Hiya! So I'm very new to tabletop RPGs and would like some advice? Thanks!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! Watch the videos and ask any question you have afterward.
I'm new to roll20 and I'm five sessions into my first game of 3.5
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Welcome to the community Timothy.
Can someone tell me how i know if im invited? do i get an email of some kind?