Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Thanks Ziechael!!! Lovin' the interface so far and have had two success adventures with our group. Appreciate it Lengard (Glenn)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You are most welcome Lengard (Glenn ;) ). If you have any other questions feel free to start a thread in the specific use forum (after a search to see if the info is already out there or in the wiki of course), Roll20 certainly isn't short of helpful members, the staff/devs/mods are just a tiny proportion of the overall community of eager helpers!
I'm lost trying to figure this out, but is there a part on here that allows you to make character sheets so that in advance i can have it ready to go if i get into a group?

Edited 1442681288
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Trav, you can create a sheet for any systems covered by the community sheets list by creating your own game and logging in to it. You can have any amount of games without cost or implication but you would only be able to use them in other games if the GM enables character vault importing and you have access to the character vault, a  Plus member perk . Bear in mind that many GM's will prefer players to create sheets in a session 0 environment before a game is due to start.
Hi guys! I'm leading a group of mature gamers that want to get into D&D. I'm not a natural leader, and my system of cameras and skype was too messy and awkward, so I'm hoping to migrate us to Roll20. Problem is, it seems like a LOT of work is needed to create the adventures. Is there a preconfigured beginners (eg: Lost Mines of Phandelver) game set up within Roll20 that I can purchase, where we just log in with our tokens, fill in our character journal pages, and start playing? That doesn't require the DM to build out the dungeons etc?
Lee M. said:  Is there a preconfigured beginners (eg: Lost Mines of Phandelver) game set up within Roll20 that I can purchase, where we just log in with our tokens, fill in our character journal pages, and start playing? That doesn't require the DM to build out the dungeons etc? The MarketPlace has a number of modules available for purchase that have everything setup already. Also, try not to be too intimidated by some of the *AVAILABLE* features that Roll20 offers.  You don't actually *NEED* most of these options to play a solid TableTop game.  For example, one of my long-term games uses nothing but a few tokens and drawing on the blank map.  it works just fine.
I'm new to D&D and I think I have a fun character idea, but I'm trying to figure out whether its an "anything goes" environment or basically if you can only preform a list of pre-existing spells.  Thanks for some tips
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Don T, I think you posted a reply in the wrong thread. It is great that you are new to D&D and have a great idea but the general community forums in not really an "anything goes" environment. Our  Code of Conduct is somewhat specific on what you can post here in the general forums. As for the preform from a list of pre-existing spells, that is more in the purview of your GM and should be posted in his game forum instead of here in the new to roll20 thread. Glad you found the slew of scattered tips. If you need help then feel free to post to the  specific use forum your request.
Hello everyone. I've been playing DND for a long time by what I consider a longtime anyways. I know 3.5 prity good still have some books. I played a dragonlance mud for years that was fairly strictly RPG minded and in forced and enjoy that part of adventuring a lot. I'm retiered from the military and have a lot of time to play if a group might include me. 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello George. You best chance of finding a group is in two locations here on the roll20 site. The first one is our  find a group listings and the other location would be in the  LFG Forums . There are other sites you can go look at also such as the G+ roll20 player network and the  roll20 lfg reddit . Good luck and happy gaming.

Edited 1443483428
Hello! Me and my friends are very eager to getting into D&D and D&D-like games, so we are trying to get a game of Pathfinder set up, however as the Game Master I've been having tons of trouble trying to get all the characters and everything set up. None of us have any sort of experience, so I was wondering how I could get a game set up. I tried making characters for us and I completely got lost on what I was supposed to enter in. I found a character generator that was super useful that already had all the classes and races and everything and automatically enters in any racial bonuses, etc, but I'm not sure if it will be of any use, since I love how Roll20's character sheets have built in macros for everything. TL;DR : Me and my friends are complete newbies and have no idea what were doing. We need guidance on how to get Pathfinder set up.

Edited 1443488758
Hi&nbsp; Colin - For your specific Pathfinder questions I recommend you visit the&nbsp; Pathfinder subreddit to see if the community can help you understand the rules. (We only help with Roll20 specific set up here). As for your Roll20 setup questions, I recommend you and your group try our new tutorial:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/tutorial/</a> - it will help your understand how to best use Roll20. Good luck with your setup!

Edited 1443497674
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
@Colin, welcome to roll20. &nbsp;If you have any questions on how to fill out the Pathfinder sheet I would recommend asking on [PF] Pathfinder sheet thread 4: Life after Sam forum thread or feel free to PM me. &nbsp;You can also use the&nbsp; Pathfinder Character Sheet Guide on the wiki for info specific to the PF sheet. &nbsp;Cheers
Hello, I'm new here and have yet to figure out how to get voice to work.&nbsp; The link to the help on voice,&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Video_and_Voice_Chat" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Video_and_Voice_Chat</a> was not helpful as my firefox browser does not have any such icon that resembles a camera to click on.&nbsp; Do I need some sort of an addon?&nbsp; If so what is it called?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
TBA welcome to the community. If you are by yourself in the game room the voice and mic will not function. It takes two to function. If you look up at your url box, click on the small padlock image. Usually a small popup menu will appear and towards the bottom of the first tab, you will have permissions to set. Take a look there. If you can not get your voice to work after that start a new post in the&nbsp; bug and technical issues forum so we can help you more.
Hey, I am new to dd. Starting with my first group sometime this week. I was wonder about what is a fun class for new people? I am usually into bows and elves, so i was gonna play a wood elf ranger.&nbsp; Anyone have experience playing this and is it recommended?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Branden and welcome to Roll20. These forums are intended for discussion related to Roll20 exclusively so while you may get some opinions here for a more concise answer I would highly recommend asking your question on a site more dedicated to RP in general, I tend to use&nbsp;<a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/</a> personally. However if you want to go for bows and elves then that combo is definitely a good choice ;)
Mark G. said: Lee M. said: &nbsp;Is there a preconfigured beginners (eg: Lost Mines of Phandelver) game set up within Roll20 that I can purchase, where we just log in with our tokens, fill in our character journal pages, and start playing? That doesn't require the DM to build out the dungeons etc? The MarketPlace has a number of modules available for purchase that have everything setup already. Also, try not to be too intimidated by some of the *AVAILABLE* features that Roll20 offers.&nbsp; You don't actually *NEED* most of these options to play a solid TableTop game.&nbsp; For example, one of my long-term games uses nothing but a few tokens and drawing on the blank map.&nbsp; it works just fine. Thanks Mark. I may be doing it wrong, but I can't actually find any 5E Modules, and that's what I and my D&D group plays, so what I want to introduce the other group to (there's a little crossover between the groups for gaming). Do you know if there's 5E modules available that I could't see somehow?
Hi Everyone, I'm completely new to table top and I hope I can learn quickly and play a game.&nbsp; I'm so excited to try this out!&nbsp;
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Sephora and welcome to Roll20 and TT games in general :) I'd recommend taking the time to browse the forums (the opening post in this thread for example has some great starter tips), its also advised that you browse the wider internet to get a feel for the type of game you want to play (fantasy, sci-fi, post apocalyptic, modern etc etc) so that you can flesh your profile out as best you can. This helps potential GM's find you as well as showing that you have enough knowledge to have a preference. Then i would start looking at the looking for group forum to find some 'one shots' these are games that are, as the name suggests, a one time session that should start and end within a single session. Great for getting used to rules, trying new systems or just finding those gamers who you would like to play longer term games with in the future. You can also create your own game, for free, using any of the community character sheets (which covers most popular systems) to get a feel for what to expect in a game... play around a bit, get used to the interface and the mechanics. Most of all though, have fun!
hey guys, Im a total noob to dungeons and dragons, i get the gist of it because a few friends have spoken to me about it in the past, the idea of the game sounds incredible to me, ive always wanted to play a game with unlimited options and paths i can take.&nbsp; Unfortunately i have literally no idea what im doing, if anyone with a bit of experience could talk to me a bit and give me a general run down it would be much appreciated. thanks a lot!&nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Oscar and welcome to roll20. The very first post by our wonderful Dev "Avacyn" should start you on the right path of enjoying a very social hobby. Avacyn said First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming! If you have questions about anything involving roll20 then please feel free to post it in the specific use forum. If it is about a game system then it is usually recommended for you to go to a forum that is built for that system or a more generalized forum. Have fun and good luck.
HELP! I really cant find out how to stop my players from drawing on the board they keep drawing on penisis everywhere
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi David, this is more of a social problem as there is no way of restricting players from using the drawing tools. The best course of action is to simply ask them not to draw on the table and if they don't then maybe they aren't the right players for you. Remember that unless they've learned that they can change the colour their drawings will default to their colour as per their avatar at the bottom of the screen.
is there a way to when your play to make it more lap top friendly
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Damean G, Check out our wiki guide on that very subject, Optimizing Roll20 Performance .&nbsp; There are things you can do playerside and there are things that only the GM of a game can do.
Hi I've only been on Roll20 for a month or so now I think, and I just came back to continue working on the Rps I was making, and For some reason my games that I had made are all gone! I recently had to change my password because I forgot it and when I went to go work on my games they weren't there. I had been working on one specific one for weeks and I'm really hoping you can help :(
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Nessi, for situations like this it is best to email the team directly with as much detail as you can (e-mail address tied to the account, log in method (G+ or Roll20.net etc), the name of the game/s you've lost and anything else you think may be of use to them). The address to use is <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> Good luck

Edited 1447906015
This is all confusing. A Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide are easier to follow. My question is this. Can I create my own set of characters on player sheets that are ready for play or do I have to suffer and end up with what ever comes up or is handed to me in a dungeon or game. The only player sheets I have found is if I want to create a game not if I want to join a game. Can't generate my own Characters until there is a game....That sux...and it takes up too much time to have to generate one each time I have to play...I expected more..

Edited 1447782376
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Mark. Generally a GM assigns you a blank sheet for you to build your character in your&nbsp; Journal but there are some GM's that will handout pregenerated characters. If you are a subscriber (plus or pro) you can use the&nbsp; Vault feature to store snapshots of any character you created. The GM has to have his campaign setup to allow you to import from the vault also for it to work.
OK I and fresh out the water here. I have always wanted to play D&D but not a lot of people in my area that are into this. How is the best way to start? Also is there anyone that would be up for making a game to help walk me through?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Adam G, to get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then how to find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software.&nbsp; Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!

Edited 1447989359
Hello. I'm new to Roll20 as well. I've watched a couple of the tutorial videos, including the one that's linked in the front page and I've filled out some of my profile and applied for one game. I think I heard something about a mentor system. Do you have more information on this?

Edited 1447998652
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bryan K. said: Hello. I'm new to Roll20 as well. I've watched a couple of the tutorial videos, including the one that's linked in the front page and I've filled out some of my profile and applied for one game. I think I heard something about a mentor system. Do you have more information on this? Hi Bryan. &nbsp;Welcome to Roll20. &nbsp;Prior to the "Pro" subscription level, it was called "Mentor". &nbsp;Nothing wrong with being a Pro, but Mentor made you feel like a steward of Roll20. &nbsp;AFAIK, there was never actually a "mentoring" program, where seasoned members would officially help newer members. &nbsp;That said, we're very blessed here on the forums. &nbsp;Asking a question usually elicits a multitude of competitively correct answers and solutions. Check out the&nbsp; Roll20 Wiki and post back to the forums when you have questions... or solutions. &nbsp;Have fun. Cheers
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Vince said: Bryan K. said: Hello. I'm new to Roll20 as well. I've watched a couple of the tutorial videos, including the one that's linked in the front page and I've filled out some of my profile and applied for one game. I think I heard something about a mentor system. Do you have more information on this? Hi Bryan. &nbsp;Welcome to Roll20. &nbsp;Prior to the "Pro" subscription level, it was called "Mentor". &nbsp;Nothing wrong with being a Pro, but Mentor made you feel like a steward of Roll20. &nbsp;AFAIK, there was never actually a "mentoring" program, where seasoned members would officially help newer members. &nbsp;That said, we're very blessed here on the forums. &nbsp;Asking a question usually elicits a multitude of competitively correct answers and solutions. Check out the&nbsp; Roll20 Wiki and post back to the forums when you have questions... or solutions. &nbsp;Have fun. Cheers To add on what Vince said. While there is not an official Mentoring system on roll20, there are GM's that run beginner games specifically to help players learn a system and how to use roll20. You can usually find their posts in the&nbsp; LFG forums .
Cool, thanks for the help Vince and Pat. I went to the LFG page and latched onto a game to teach a fellow DnD newbie and me the ropes like a remora to a shark, ha ha. We'll be rolling on Sunday.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Bryan, great to hear. If you have anymore questions then feel free to make a post in the&nbsp; specific use forum (parent forum for this thread). That will get more eyes on your question than something posted here in this beginners thread.
Im new to table top rpgs and roll20..im looking for a mature d&d group whos willing to show me pointers, im a quick learner and have watched d&d games so I have a basic grasp, im smart and a quick learner, willing to work with the dm, my character is a lvl 1 wood elf ranger, willing to work on character sheet with dm&nbsp;
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
n w.,&nbsp; this thread really isn't a place to look for games.&nbsp; For that, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play
Hello, Some friends and I are about to start running a game here. &nbsp;We've been getting on and play testing features the last few evenings before starting. &nbsp;I found the answers to all of my other questions after going through the forums. &nbsp;One thing I was not able to find is if there is a way to give another player "GM rights" and basically upgrade him from player status to GM or is only the creator able to have GM rights?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Agent Milkshake, If you go to your Game Details page for the game in question, and hover over a player's icon, you can then promote that user to GM status. Happy gaming!
I need TONS of help here... I am finding the wikis and tutorials next to useless because they are not answering the questions I have. I am totally new to Roll 20 but am a long time gamer off line. I am building a campaign...have the basics, but no map or such yet...still trying to find one but that is not the issue. I have set up the campaign and such, put in a character sheet, started to make up NPCs, and even invited the players. Issue One: How do the players use the character sheet to make up their character for the game? What do they do? How do I see it? Issue Two: Under the macros before I enable it, what is "Window Pop outs for characters? Issue Three:Where do I find the stuff for making a token? I am obviously doing it wrong and the demo is not helping me figure out where I am going wrong... Thanks in advance.

Edited 1449121252
@Brent: This tells you how to set it up for players:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Character_Options" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Character_Options</a> Issue Two: When you click on a character sheet, it will open in a new window rather than within the roll20 table top. Issue Three:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library</a> &nbsp;The top image shows you which icon you need to click to access the token search and the upload button (the star). You can either search for something and then drag it onto the screen or you can upload an image and then drag it out of the image library onto the table top. &nbsp;Either will create a token as long as you are putting it on the Object and Token Layer or GM Layer (see here:<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features</a>)
Hi guys, I have been reading/watching the various tutorials. Let me see if I get this right. &nbsp;To transfer a home made rule set into Roll20 it is pretty much a matter of customizing a character sheet, linking it up with journal and tossing in some code for the die rolls? &nbsp;For example if I wanted to port the classic board game of HeroQuest into Roll20 or something similar. &nbsp;I do apologize if this is a re-peat question but I did some searching through the forums before posting and did not quite see anything similar.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
SpaceRanger42 said: Hi guys, I have been reading/watching the various tutorials. Let me see if I get this right. &nbsp;To transfer a home made rule set into Roll20 it is pretty much a matter of customizing a character sheet, linking it up with journal and tossing in some code for the die rolls? &nbsp;For example if I wanted to port the classic board game of HeroQuest into Roll20 or something similar. &nbsp;I do apologize if this is a re-peat question but I did some searching through the forums before posting and did not quite see anything similar. Technically you could do even less than that if it is a simple enough system. However, you have the gist of it yes. HeroQuest certainly can... and has, been ported onto Roll20 with relative ease (didn't take me that long anyway) ;) In fact there is even an API (pro level perk) script dedicated to replicating the dice...
Technically you could do even less than that if it is a simple enough system. However, you have the gist of it yes. HeroQuest certainly can... and has, been ported onto Roll20 with relative ease (didn't take me that long anyway) ;) In fact there is even an API (pro level perk) script dedicated to replicating the dice... NEAT! &nbsp;Really I am trying to work through how to implement my own rules set but I figured HeroQuest would be a sort of gateway to the process. :)

Edited 1449213019
Hi New to Roll20 and so far really loving it. Cant wait to get into a game. I do have a question, does Roll20 have a spectator option? I would love to watch a game in progress if a group didn't mind someone listening in on there game. If not, is there a record feature built into roll20 that can be posted later? I mean lets face it, some fantastic events can occur in these games and some peolpe would love to share them with the comunity.