Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

awesome. thanks for the quick response, will next make sure I post in the correct forum
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No problem, this is definitely the place for those first forays into roll20 :) As you become accustomed to the site you'll discover the best places to get the help you need as quickly as possible (after all, us DM's operate on a time critical basis at ALL times!)
I'va never played D&D in my life, but am very familiar with digital RPGs. I want to start playing and am familiar with some of the game mechanics but i don't know if there are any games for new and inexperienced players. Is there a prefered category for new players?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello SKULLptor. There are a few ways to attempt to find a game. The first one is to use the game search search engine /w advance options (welcomes new players) . With that you will find a wide variety of games that are recruiting with new players in mind. There are other features you can explore also. Another way that is popular is to post in the looking for group forum . Good luck
Really new to all this... I'm looking for a pre-made d20 modern character sheet for my campaign. I attempted to create my own with custom feature of the mentor level subscription , however I have no html or ccs experience its frustrating.
Alright, I want to try and figure out how to play PFS online with roll20. I love playing Pathfinder, and would love it if I could play from home, when I don't have the chance to get to a game shop in time. I didn't get to play much before for that same reason, and so I have basically started anew. I want to know how to look for a game on here, how to join it, etc, and also wondering if it all still counts towards my characters progression for the PFS.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Alexander b. said: Really new to all this... I'm looking for a pre-made d20 modern character sheet for my campaign. I attempted to create my own with custom feature of the mentor level subscription , however I have no html or ccs experience its frustrating. Welcome to the show Alexander. Congrats on jumping to Mentor, well worth the price of admission. A quick look at the character sheet templates for roll20 confirms that there isn't a d20-based sheet that's been made. ;-( I would suggest posting a request to Sheet Request Thread, Consolidated, mk I in the Character Sheet forum . Hopefully someone may volunteer their time and create a sheet. It happens very often. That said, nothing wrong with learning some basic html and css skills and having a go at your own sheet. Look at other sheets code to better understand the "underpinnings". Ask questions when you get stuck. We have lot's of experts on roll20 that are glad to help. Cheers.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Althexia E. said: Alright, I want to try and figure out how to play PFS online with roll20. I love playing Pathfinder, and would love it if I could play from home, when I don't have the chance to get to a game shop in time. I didn't get to play much before for that same reason, and so I have basically started anew. I want to know how to look for a game on here, how to join it, etc, and also wondering if it all still counts towards my characters progression for the PFS. Welcome Althexia, your first port of call when looking to player should be the LFG (looking for group) forum. You can post there to let GM's know of your availability or chosen game system as well as search for upcoming/current campaigns looking for new players. Be sure to list your experience (doesn't have to be roll20 based) and timezone/preferred playing times. Also it never hurts to give a short description of your preferred character/playing style to help a GM shortlist you :) Most of all though, have fun!
hi new to the site is there a way to mass delete assets i accidentally uploaded too many things and now my quota is full
I am trying to load images from the web and other places like stairs and benches and stuff i have purchased a number of packages fro roll 20 but when i try to drop in something not from roll 20 i get a white square around it. how do i get rid of the white square as their are some things i want to drop in that are not available on roll 20?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
matthew g. said: hi new to the site is there a way to mass delete assets i accidentally uploaded too many things and now my quota is full Hi Matthew, welcome to roll20! You can open your library (star button on the art asset tab) and select all of the ones you want to delete by clicking each asset one by one or selecting one and using 'select all' to do them all at once, then clicking 'delete selected' to remove them. Please note it can take a short while for lots of assets!

Edited 1428014464
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Fubar said: I am trying to load images from the web and other places like stairs and benches and stuff i have purchased a number of packages fro roll 20 but when i try to drop in something not from roll 20 i get a white square around it. how do i get rid of the white square as their are some things i want to drop in that are not available on roll 20? Hi Fubar, the web based images are not controlled nor moderated by roll20 (they are merely the same images you would find via google using the same search criteria for example) and as such some are jpg format rather than png (which would allow transparency whereas jpg does not). Your best solution in this case would be to source the image outside of roll20, run it through a photo editing programme (Gimp, photoshop etc) to remove the white and add transparency before uploading it to your library for use. Please note however that copyright should be observed, most artists are happy to allow their images to be used for private and personal use but if in doubt please do contact them to ask.
Hi Im new too both Roll20 and tabletop games. Ive done a bit of text based message board RP but never anything with paper and dice. I'm a big Computer Gamer with RPGs being my fav genre, so I've played D&D computer games (Just started playing Neverwinter) and ive always wanted to play DnD. When I watched community recently their D&D episodes looked so fun i started to really look in to it and other taabletop games, leading me too find Will Wheatons Tabletop and now im hooked and want to play so many games from D&D to Fiasco and I hear this is the place to do just that.

Edited 1428087765
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Michael M. said: Hi Im new too both Roll20 and tabletop games. Ive done a bit of text based message board RP but never anything with paper and dice. I'm a big Computer Gamer with RPGs being my fav genre, so I've played D&D computer games (Just started playing Neverwinter) and ive always wanted to play DnD. When I watched community recently their D&D episodes looked so fun i started to really look in to it and other taabletop games, leading me too find Will Wheatons Tabletop and now im hooked and want to play so many games from D&D to Fiasco and I hear this is the place to do just that. You heard right! Roll20 has the capabilities to run pretty much any game system and so much beyond! I would urge you to look through the wiki pages as they have a wealth of information. I'd also suggest you look at the reddit forums for D&D to see which sort of game rules take your fancy before posting a thread in the LFG forum (Looking for group). Always list your timezone and preferred system/systems and most of all be yourself :) Also worth noting that Neverwinter uses D&D 3.5 rule set so if you like that setup then its a good start point (although 3.5 mega complex, i should know i DM it!) Welcome, and have fun!
Ziechael said: Michael M. said: Hi Im new too both Roll20 and tabletop games. Ive done a bit of text based message board RP but never anything with paper and dice. I'm a big Computer Gamer with RPGs being my fav genre, so I've played D&D computer games (Just started playing Neverwinter) and ive always wanted to play DnD. When I watched community recently their D&D episodes looked so fun i started to really look in to it and other taabletop games, leading me too find Will Wheatons Tabletop and now im hooked and want to play so many games from D&D to Fiasco and I hear this is the place to do just that. You heard right! Roll20 has the capabilities to run pretty much any game system and so much beyond! I would urge you to look through the wiki pages as they have a wealth of information. I'd also suggest you look at the reddit forums for D&D to see which sort of game rules take your fancy before posting a thread in the LFG forum (Looking for group). Always list your timezone and preferred system/systems and most of all be yourself :) Also worth noting that Neverwinter uses D&D 3.5 rule set so if you like that setup then its a good start point (although 3.5 mega complex, i should know i DM it!) Welcome, and have fun! I've Been looking into 5e, since its newish and the most noob friendly if what ive read is to be belived. I had noticed how wonderfully complex the character builds in Neverwinter are but yeah its alot to take in for a computer game but im following it pretty well but it would be a whole other story if I had to do the rolls myself and keep track. As for 5e ive taken a look at the free pdf and printed out a character sheet and started to build a ranged fighter but got a bit stuck and gave up, that was before I found this place.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Michael M. said: I've Been looking into 5e, since its newish and the most noob friendly if what ive read is to be belived. I had noticed how wonderfully complex the character builds in Neverwinter are but yeah its alot to take in for a computer game but im following it pretty well but it would be a whole other story if I had to do the rolls myself and keep track. As for 5e ive taken a look at the free pdf and printed out a character sheet and started to build a ranged fighter but got a bit stuck and gave up, that was before I found this place. Most campaigns will have pre-defined macros for managing those complex rolls so don't worry too much about the math side of things at this stage. Most importantly begin to familiarise yourself with the basic rules. That will serve you well in most campaigns. Generally GM's and their players are more than happy to help a new player learn the ropes anyway, especially if you are taking the time to further your own learning between sessions :)
Uh, hey guys. I kinda stumbled upon this place, and I think it looks really neat. I've heard a lot of good things about RPGs and such like this but never gave it much thought, because I didn't know how I could even join one. I kinda wanna try it out, but I'm not really familiar with all of this stuff. I read through a lot of the rules and such, but I'm not really confident enough to actually go join a game yet. Is there some way I could talk to someone who could answer a few questions of mine and help me get started?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The forums aren't for discussing RPG specific details as that would be off topic (the boards are for discussing playing RPGs on Roll20). You could certainly ask RPG specific questions on <a href="http://reddit.com/r/rpg" rel="nofollow">http://reddit.com/r/rpg</a> or enworld or wizards.com. Another option is to join one of the games in the looking for group forum or tool which is beginner friendly. Those GMs are happy to teach and share experiences. If you're feeling completely lost, you can click my name and send me a private message (PM) and I can try to field some questions off the forum.
Hello, I am a GM for a Dark Heresy 2.0 group and I am wondering if this will work for "in person" games. For example, would I be able to export the player view onto a large TV in the room wile still keeping the GM info a secret? Thanks

Edited 1428461669
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Justin H. said: Hello, I am a GM for a Dark Heresy 2.0 group and I am wondering if this will work for "in person" games. For example, would I be able to export the player view onto a large TV in the room wile still keeping the GM info a secret? Thanks Absolutely. That's how I run my personal games. The GM has a laptop and the players have a computer/laptop hooked up to a large TV. The only logisitics issue is you need a player to "drive" the player view, or a mini keyboard/mouse combo they can pass around. Edit: Also check out our Roll20 for iPad and Android app that just went out. It's made to facilitate that kind of in person game.
So, I've recently joined Roll20 to be able to take advantage of the map tools in my Pathfinder campaigns. Ive made a few maps using Pyromancers and have tried to upload them onto the Tabletop by dragging them from my folder. However, the maps have not been loading and, after trying for a few days, have read the Forums for help. I've gotten a few helpful tips like decreasing my folder size to a number below 5 MB and trying to use GIMP to crop the image and making it easier for the tabletop to upload it. Nothing has worked and I'm beginning to think that it may have something to do with the Pyromancers map creator, however I'm not sure. Can I get some help please???

Edited 1428513302
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
First off welcome to roll20 The Great P. What format are the maps in as roll20 will only allow certain file types ? Also of use is the wiki which contains a wealth of information, here is the link to the section about the art library .
They are all regular rdm. I tried some other of my jpgs and they worked, but all of my maps that I had tried to upload from my Pyromancers file did not work. All of my maps are saved as rdm files in my art library now and can't be dragged onto the virtual tabletop.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
RDM is not a file format I am familiar with. I strongly suggest using GIMP to convert the files to JPG format, if at all possible. Or see if your application can save/export to other formats.
GenKitty said: RDM is not a file format I am familiar with. I strongly suggest using GIMP to convert the files to JPG format, if at all possible. Or see if your application can save/export to other formats. I've tried to convert, but GIMP doesn't seem to allow me to have that option after i edit my maps.
Just tried to convert again and it's finally working. Thanks for the help though!
does anyone know how i can set dice roller to do the WEG wild die?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
RDM is the native format for Pyromancer files. You need to click Export to JPG, PNG to get a map you can edit in GIMP or import into Roll20.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Zuldan11 said: does anyone know how i can set dice roller to do the WEG wild die? There isn't a way in the base dice engine to handle the Wild Die automatically. I've written an API script that handles it (Note that the API requires a Mentor Level Subscription ): <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/WildDice/WildDice.js" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/WildDice/WildDice.js</a>
Hey so this is my first time using Roll20 to run a game, I like to work on and plan my game out in advance so I started creating a campaign yesterday. But when I came back to the site today I can't figure out how to re-open it in the same GM building mode to keep working on it.
You should be able to simply enter the campaign as normal using the "Launch Campaign" button on the main campaign screen. Is it possible you re-entered as a player to view your work? If so, simply go to Settings in the Campaign, and re-enter as GM (option down near the bottom). -Phnord, who hopes that helps
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Zuldan11 said: does anyone know how i can set dice roller to do the WEG wild die? As Aaron said, you can't set the dice roller to do the WEG wild die but you can set up a macro to get a similar effect. I would recommend you posting your question in the specific use forum as that will get the macro masters to look at it. This thread is mostly pointed towards helping people with the general use of roll20 and such which means your question will probably be missed.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Kayla B. said: Hey so this is my first time using Roll20 to run a game, I like to work on and plan my game out in advance so I started creating a campaign yesterday. But when I came back to the site today I can't figure out how to re-open it in the same GM building mode to keep working on it. As Phnord says, just use the launch campaign button and it will automatically start you as the GM of the Campaign that you created. The only time you would enter as a player is if you clicked on the rejoin as a player button inside the actual game (settings tab and towards the bottom of it) but you could use the rejoin as gm button (same tab and location) or just exit and relaunch campaign.
I clicked on the show message button because i had been invited to play a campaign and when i clicked it nothing happened and the campaign that was listed has disappeared.. Did i get kicked from the group? Or is there a way to view old messages that for some reason disappear when i read them?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can view your private messages by clicking on your name in the upper right corner and selecting Private Messages:
i am running a star wars game and i have BIG maps for my game but when i want to make a floor plan and the floor is 100by100 it gets tiring tile by tile is there anyway to make it faster
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Hammy, there are a few ways to do. The free way is to use a 3rd party software like gimp, paint, or something similar to do all your tiling then upload it whole. Another way is to upgrade to mentor level and use an API script that will tile it for you.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Another option if you aren't using it yet is to build modular section of tiles that you will be repeating, then copy and paste them together to build larger structures. I haven't tried it, but grouping the tiles might make that even easier.
Hi, it's me again. I keep futzing up my level 8 cleric character because this is the first time I have actually made a character by myself. I know I'm starting to annoy the others, so how do I know everything's done?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi iamkathybrown. Looking at your profile, I'm assuming this is a D&D 5e game... If it's the roll20 5e character sheet you have questions about , I would try asking in the Character Sheet Forum , otherwise you could try posting to a reddit forum like <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext</a> if you have 5e specific questions. Cheers.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
iamkathybrown, I would recommend talking to your GM for help as he would / should know the in and outs of the character creation for his campaign otherwise I would do what Vince suggested about the reddit forum. Character creation and such that is not specifically aimed at the use of roll20 is not allowed in the forums per the Code of Conduct. Good luck and remember that the GM should be your first source of information as it is his game and he might have certain optional rules in use.
Hi I am looking for a group that is doing D&D 5th edition and is looking for new or less experienced players. If anyone fits this description I have myself and 2 others that are looking to get started in a weekly game.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
James R. You will want to make your post in the Looking for Group forum and not in this thread. This is more for those that are new to roll20 and have a brief question about how to use the site (see the first post for more info on that).
Hello Everyone! I'm just dropping by this thread to say i'm new! Can't wait to meet and rp with you all, this is my first time on a virtual Tabletop site and I hope it goes well!

Edited 1429335633
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Welcome aboard. If you haven't done so, I suggest reading/watching the Getting Started intro on the Roll20 wiki. (Link at the top of the site) Cheers
Hello there! First time table top RPG gamer like ever! Very much a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing. I have been trying to find people to play D&D 5th edition but because of the area I live in there is no one with the same interest as myself. I guess that's what I get for living in redneck territory :/
Hello! I am pretty new to p&p RPGs and do need to fully learn pathfinder(the system I intend to use) and am happy to be a part of the community! if anyone can to help msg me or something if you want. Can't wait to jump in!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I would recommend both of you, Jeff, and, Gaurdman, to take a look at the looking for group forum and making a post to any game posted there that catches your attention. You can also search the LFG game listings (blue banner at the top of the page) and use the filter "welcomes new players" to find open games also. Good luck.

Edited 1429594728
Hey guys, got a question being a first timer. Upon attempting joining a campaign, example, D&D5E campaigns do GMs prefer we know the whole rule set before we join, or isn't it always a requirement? Cheers.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
It depends. There's a setting GMs can check for 'new players welcome', and you can directly ask the GM about willingness to teach players new to the system. I've seen games posted that are specifically for system-newbies. Welcome to Roll20, and may you have a long and fruitful gaming experience!