Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A New Light - Bug Thread - Updated Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War

The system remains broken ??? should stay on the old one ????
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Farling said: Brian C. said: This was first reported July 3 but has not yet shown up in the known issues list. The difference in thickness also helps those who are red/green colorblind differentiate between walls and doors Is there a reason you don't follow the roll20 official modules which use blue for walls and yellow for doors? That is far more friendly for those of us with red/green colour-blind issues. This would also allow you to use the same thickness lines for both colours, thus removing the issue you reported. :-) It does not  remove the issue I reported, because I have created over a dozen adventures on the Roll20 marketplace with more in process. We were told at the beginning that there would be feature parity before Legacy Dynamic Lighting is retired. Because there has been no response from Roll20, and because this is not in the known issues, I don't know if this is going to be another case where a Dynamic Lighting rewrite causes a loss of functionality that affects my products. I really don't want to have to go back and redraw all those maps when Roll20 decides to flip the switch and retire Legacy Dynamic Lighting. Additionally, even normal size lines cover up some of the map. As for why I use a thick red door/thin green wall convention: I use thin lines to help place the walls precisely. The high contrast of the green helps me while I am placing them and afterwards. Blue / Yellow must be a more recent development. There are lots of Roll20 official modules that use red/green with the same size lines. I based the colors off of that convention, though I changed the line sizes.  Thick lines are easier to grab. Coupled with making the walls thin lines, it makes it harder to accidentally grab the wrong line, and the line thickness makes it very obvious where doors are for those who are red/green colorblind. I would prefer to not change the convention I use as it affects not only my products but those I do under contract. I apologize if the convention I use is insufficient for someone who is red/green colorblind, and I apologize if it felt like I was using red/green colorblindness as a means to draw attention. I won't bring it up anymore.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Al Pacino said: The system remains broken ??? should stay on the old one ???? You probably should stick with Legacy Dynamic Lighting for the time being.
Brian C. said: Al Pacino said: The system remains broken ??? should stay on the old one ???? You probably should stick with Legacy Dynamic Lighting for the time being. Ok, I will wait the next fix. Thanks.

Edited 1594861683
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Bug: Distortions when zooming out It looks like the foreshortening is happening when zooming out with the slider as well as the browser zoom. You can see at the bottom where the overlap of the night vision occurs, and below that, it looks like there are three night vision sources, but only two are on the map. If you zoom back in, the overlap happens at a different place (note the light on the left). The distortion happens when the slider zooms out to 80% or further out.
You'll probably be waiting for more fixes than just the next one. Be patient, and plan on using legacy dynamic lighting for the foreseeable future. Al Pacino said: Brian C. said: Al Pacino said: The system remains broken ??? should stay on the old one ???? You probably should stick with Legacy Dynamic Lighting for the time being. Ok, I will wait the next fix. Thanks.

Edited 1594941342
Issue : Overlapping Nightvision What you were trying to do: Enable Night Vision on multiple tokens, on a page with no Light Sources. The overall goal is to simulate Darkvision from D&amp;D 5e, where the areas of Darkness that Night Vision is applied to are Dim Light and grayscale, hence the use of the "Tint Color" property of Night Vision. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Any user who "can edit and control" (via Character settings) more than 1 token which has Night Vision enabled will see the overlapping areas of that Night Vision rendered as the combination of the colors set as the Tint Color of that Night Vision. The result is an area that is much darker than the rest of the Night Vision area. The issue is that a user, such as a GM, who can see the Vision area of multiple tokens will end up with a very obstructed view of the underlying map and tokens.&nbsp; Expected Result: The intersecting area of more than one Night Vision should be rendered using a color combination which still allows the user to clearly see within the intersecting area. Steps to Reproduce: As a GM Create a new page In Page Settings, enable "Dynamic Lighting" Place any two tokens on the "Objects and Tokens" layer For each token, in the "Edit Token" dialog, in the "Dynamic Lighting" tab : a) enable "Vision" b) Enable "Night Vision" c) Set "Night Vision Distance" to any reasonable value (say 30) d) Set the "Tint Color" to #000000&nbsp; Move tokens so that their Night Vision areas overlap. Notice how the grid, and all layers in the intersection are obstructed from view. Browser &amp; OS info: Browser: Chrome 83.0.4103.116 OS: MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 , also tested on Windows 10 Is WebGL supported by your browser? &nbsp; Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6818972/cool-kids-phandelver" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6818972/cool-kids-phandelver</a> Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? No Were you using Daylight Mode or not? No Token Settings Described in repro steps above. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Yes
What you were trying to do: Me and a friend of mine were playing around with the new Dynamic Lighting settings. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) When he turned on darkvision for his token while mine also had darkvision the darkness effect overlapped and blocked out vision. This happpened both in GM view and while trying to solo view it with Ctrl+L. Steps to Reproduce: get 2 tokens with darkvision in the same room. Potentially get 2 GM's in the same game and have both only set the Darkvision on their own token. Browser &amp; OS info: Firefox, the latest update Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. yes Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/8041657/curse-of-strahd" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/8041657/curse-of-strahd</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default? No Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Were you using Daylight Mode or not? Updated and Explorer mode Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Both had night vision, one at 30' the other at 60' Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: On
What you were trying to do: Draw shapes on the GM Layer What happened: As I draw/move the shapes around (same occurs with free hand) there are places where they fade out, to the point where I cannot see them at all. Steps to Reproduce: Added images to map layer (I have 4 images) Set them to Drawings (tried changing this to no effect). Moved them around Switched to GM Layer Tried to draw and move shapes Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome&nbsp;84.0.4147.89 and Windows 10. I tried briefly on Firefox to see if the same effect still occurred, it was. Is WebGL supported by your browser? The site can't be reached at time of posting. Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7743919/the-floating-hand" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7743919/the-floating-hand</a> Map: The Gray Mire Game Settings Fairly new to Roll20, so I don't know. Map Settings Updated Dynamic Lighting = On Explorer Mode = On Daylight = Off (Turning it on does fix the issue but I need this off when we actually play) Token Settings No tokens were used Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Chrome is set to " Use&nbsp; hard ware acceleration when available"

Edited 1595117635
What you were trying to do: Drawing circles on the dynamic lighting layer does not block vision at all. What happened: Only rectangles and polygons work. Map Settings: Updated Dynamic Lighting = On Explorer Mode = On (doesn't matter) Daylight = On (doesn't matter) Update on Token Drop = On (doesn't matter) Steps to reproduce: Create a new map Enable all checkbox toggles on Dynamic Lighting Add a Token and give it vision, darkvision, to 60 ft. (because that is easiest to setup for me - less scrolling down) Switch to the dynamic lighting layer Choose the draw shape tool - draw a sqaure, hold alt and draw a circle Choose the draw polygon tool - draw a closed polygon The circles are bright green.&nbsp; The polygon drawn for trouble-shooting is in black: A simpler demonstration: Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit) Linux, Ubuntu 20.04 JavaScript V8 8.3.110.13 Game Link: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6954188/cousins-gaming" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6954188/cousins-gaming</a> I fixed this for my players already, but you can still see the issue in the map titled "Dynamic Lighting Issue". Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Chrome is set to " Use&nbsp; hard ware acceleration when available" Some video card information from glxinfo, if it matters.&nbsp; Note "HD Graphics 4400" is pretty darn old. Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer): &nbsp; &nbsp; Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086) &nbsp; &nbsp; Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) (0xa16) &nbsp; &nbsp; Version: 20.0.8 &nbsp; &nbsp; Accelerated: yes &nbsp; &nbsp; Video memory: 1536MB &nbsp; &nbsp; Unified memory: yes &nbsp; &nbsp; Preferred profile: core (0x1) &nbsp; &nbsp; Max core profile version: 4.5 &nbsp; &nbsp; Max compat profile version: 3.0 &nbsp; &nbsp; Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1 &nbsp; &nbsp; Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1 OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) Thanks!
@Dan D Does this also happen with freehand lines?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Circles and freehand lines have always fallen into the "do not use" category for Dynamic Lighting lines. If you want to do a circle, use the polygon tool and add a dot as you cross a line on the circle. This will approximate the circle with a few more vertices than you need.
I believe there is also an API that can help with circular paths. I haven't used it myself though.

Edited 1595296971
When I add new light sources to my page there are geometric cutouts in the lighting. Only the newer light sources do this. Those added previously do not.&nbsp; I am using&nbsp; UDL Chrome&nbsp; Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit) &nbsp; Model Name: MacBook Pro &nbsp; Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,2 &nbsp; Processor Name: Intel Core i7 &nbsp; Processor Speed: 3 GHz &nbsp; Number of Processors: 1 &nbsp; Total Number of Cores: 2 &nbsp; L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB &nbsp; L3 Cache: 4 MB &nbsp; Memory: 8 GB
Not exactly making a bug report but I noticed that while I was in the process of changing a map over from Dynamic Lighting to Updated Dynamic Lighting, many if not all of the tokens would take on a very pixellated appearance.&nbsp; As I was working with a live campaign I immediately reversed all my changes, but figured I should pass this along somewhere.&nbsp; Apologies I didn't take a screen cap or anything.

Edited 1595306132
Edit: &nbsp; GM reported that turning off Explorer Mode fixed the issue. What you were trying to do: Messing around as a player, I found it by accident. Screenshots:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/nsrzY70" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/nsrzY70</a> What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) I could see through the GMs intended Dynamic Lighting walls. Steps to Reproduce: Select character token with dark vision (as a player). Press ctrl+L See through Dynamic Lighting walls. Browser &amp; OS info: Google Chrome Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)&nbsp; Windows 10 Version 1903 Is WebGL supported by your browser? ✓ This browser supports WebGL 1 Game Link: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/4725087/island-of-storms" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/4725087/island-of-storms</a> Game Settings Not sure. Map Settings We were using the updated lighting. Explorer mode was on. Daylight mode was off. Token Settings The token in question had vision and night vision. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Hardware Acceleration was on. Speedtest Results PING ms 5 DOWNLOAD Mbps 97.99 UPLOAD Mbps 10.84

Edited 1595356297
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I updated Kenton's original list to reflect on updates in the last three weeks, and it seems we now have reached feature parity, and even have the option to change the color of darkvision. Still, there seem to be a number of bugs still left that doesn't quite yet put it on equal footing with LDL. Updated Dynamic Lighting (July 21st, 2020) (Unofficial summary by Andreas J.) Known Issues List This list will be updated as issues are discovered and resolved. When using Explorer Mode on a Mac with Intel integrated graphics, the lighting system may display a wide diagonal black bar across the middle of the screen that scrolls as you pan across the page. In certain systems, images from the map layer are being distorted and skewed when viewed using Dynamic Lighting. Unexpected behavior is occurring with masks created by circles. Tokens with light and no vision are not visible to the GM until a token with vision is nearby. Mask outlines are not as smooth as expected. Zooming out with browser zoom, not the VTT zoom, can cause some strange visual issues. If a player's system crashes, they will occasionally have DL masks revealed to them. There is still slight lag with keyboard movements using UDL. (?)Updated Dynamic Lighting fails on very large maps. ( Possibly Fixed according to Drespar July 14th) (Not on Kenton's list) sometimes walls will not block vision after a certain distance, unless the line thickness is increase. ( user mention , maybe connected ) (Not on Kenton's list) Performance on large maps is still suffering for some users New Features (exist only on UDL) Users can now set the tint color they want on tokens with Nightvision and save by default. - July 14 release notes Resolved Issues These issues have been resolved with dates of the release. There is no way to change a token's light/vision sensitivity yet (previously labeled as Has Sight / Multiplier). Added July 21 release notes We’ve added API support for directional Vision and Light in Updated Dynamic Lighting! &nbsp; Added July 21 release notes Toggling between pages with Updated and Legacy Dynamic Lighting keeps the Polygon Reveal Tool intact. Added July 21 release notes GM can Manual Hide and Reveal sections with Explorer Mode&nbsp; Added July 14 release notes Added Limits to field of vision and light as options in Default Settings for Updated Dynamic Lighting Added July 7 release notes There is no "update only on drop" option.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed June 30 When a token with Night Vision is at the edge of a lit area, there is a gradient at the edge of the lit area before the night vision begins. Fixed June 30 There is no setting for directional light. Yet. &nbsp;Fixed June 30 Dragging a token next to a Dynamic Lighting barrier can result in vision past the barrier. &nbsp;Fixed June 30 Night Vision does not allow for Low Light at the moment and appears the same as Bright Light.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed June 30 A "pixel dust" like effect is occurring within certain markings. &nbsp;Fixed June 30 Light bleeds through some corners in Dynamic Lighting barriers (in explorer mode, this can result in areas being revealed). &nbsp;Fixed May 21 It can be difficult to see the difference between an illuminated map that is low contrast and a map that has been revealed in Explorer Mode, especially if the GM opacity is low. &nbsp;Fixed May 21 With Explorer Mode enabled, when using CTRL-L on a token that is not controlled by anyone in a page (or if there are no players in the game), GMs will only see a grayscale version of the map, without the GM Darkness Overlay.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed May 21 Tokens with Light on the GM layer are showing that Light to Tokens on other layers. &nbsp;Fixed May 19 Using CTRL+L on a token will occasionally result in vision of what's beyond Dynamic &nbsp;Lighting barriers . &nbsp; Fixed May 19 When using CTRL-L, GMs see through the token's eyes for purposes of lighting and vision, but can still see objects on the GM layer. &nbsp;Fixed April 28 Tokens on different pages/accounts sometimes reveal masks for the incorrect page. &nbsp;Fixed April 28 Decimals in the token light and vision settings result in incorrect light calculations. &nbsp;Fixed April 28 Default Token Settings in the game details page do not currently apply when creating new tokens. &nbsp; Fixed Apr 21 Resetting fog more than once is causing issues. &nbsp;Fixed Apr 21 When the GM moves a token, the areas will only be revealed for players who are currently online. &nbsp;Fixed Apr 21 If your maps use units other than feet, the light distances will not change based on the correct unit. Until this is fixed, assume that the "ft" in the Token Settings for vision and light distances is whatever units your map uses. &nbsp;Fixed April 17 Setting negative numbers in the token light and vision settings results in tokens revealing more than they should. &nbsp;Fixed Apr 10 PM me if I've missed something, and I'll update my comment.
Andreas J. said: I updated Kenton's original list to reflect on updates in the last three weeks, and it seems we now have reached feature parity, and even have the option to change the color of darkvision. Still, there seem to be a number of bugs still left that doesn't quite yet put it on equal footing with LDL. Updated Dynamic Lighting (July 21st, 2020) (Unofficial summary by Andreas J.) Known Issues List This list will be updated as issues are discovered and resolved. When using Explorer Mode on a Mac with Intel integrated graphics, the lighting system may display a wide diagonal black bar across the middle of the screen that scrolls as you pan across the page. In certain systems, images from the map layer are being distorted and skewed when viewed using Dynamic Lighting. Unexpected behavior is occurring with masks created by circles. Tokens with light and no vision are not visible to the GM until a token with vision is nearby. Mask outlines are not as smooth as expected. (?)Updated Dynamic Lighting fails on very large maps. ( Possibly Fixed according to Drespar July 14th) Zooming out with browser zoom, not the VTT zoom, can cause some strange visual issues. If a player's system crashes, they will occasionally have DL masks revealed to them. There is still slight lag with keyboard movements using UDL. (Not on Kenton's list) Performance on large maps is still suffering for some users New Features (exist only on UDL) Users can now set the tint color they want on tokens with Nightvision and save by default. - July 14 release notes Resolved Issues These issues have been resolved with dates of the release. There is no way to change a token's light/vision sensitivity yet (previously labeled as Has Sight / Multiplier). Added July 21 release notes We’ve added API support for directional Vision and Light in Updated Dynamic Lighting! &nbsp; Added July 21 release notes Toggling between pages with Updated and Legacy Dynamic Lighting keeps the Polygon Reveal Tool intact. Added July 21 release notes GM can Manual Hide and Reveal sections with Explorer Mode&nbsp; Added July 14 release notes Added Limits to field of vision and light as options in Default Settings for Updated Dynamic Lighting Added July 7 release notes There is no "update only on drop" option.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed June 30 When a token with Night Vision is at the edge of a lit area, there is a gradient at the edge of the lit area before the night vision begins. Fixed June 30 There is no setting for directional light. Yet. &nbsp;Fixed June 30 Dragging a token next to a Dynamic Lighting barrier can result in vision past the barrier. &nbsp;Fixed June 30 Night Vision does not allow for Low Light at the moment and appears the same as Bright Light.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed June 30 A "pixel dust" like effect is occurring within certain markings. &nbsp;Fixed June 30 Light bleeds through some corners in Dynamic Lighting barriers (in explorer mode, this can result in areas being revealed). &nbsp;Fixed May 21 It can be difficult to see the difference between an illuminated map that is low contrast and a map that has been revealed in Explorer Mode, especially if the GM opacity is low. &nbsp;Fixed May 21 With Explorer Mode enabled, when using CTRL-L on a token that is not controlled by anyone in a page (or if there are no players in the game), GMs will only see a grayscale version of the map, without the GM Darkness Overlay.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed May 21 Tokens with Light on the GM layer are showing that Light to Tokens on other layers. &nbsp;Fixed May 19 Using CTRL+L on a token will occasionally result in vision of what's beyond Dynamic &nbsp;Lighting barriers . &nbsp; Fixed May 19 When using CTRL-L, GMs see through the token's eyes for purposes of lighting and vision, but can still see objects on the GM layer. &nbsp;Fixed April 28 Tokens on different pages/accounts sometimes reveal masks for the incorrect page. &nbsp;Fixed April 28 Decimals in the token light and vision settings result in incorrect light calculations. &nbsp;Fixed April 28 Default Token Settings in the game details page do not currently apply when creating new tokens. &nbsp; Fixed Apr 21 Resetting fog more than once is causing issues. &nbsp;Fixed Apr 21 When the GM moves a token, the areas will only be revealed for players who are currently online. &nbsp;Fixed Apr 21 If your maps use units other than feet, the light distances will not change based on the correct unit. Until this is fixed, assume that the "ft" in the Token Settings for vision and light distances is whatever units your map uses. &nbsp;Fixed April 17 Setting negative numbers in the token light and vision settings results in tokens revealing more than they should. &nbsp;Fixed Apr 10 PM me if I've missed something, and I'll update my comment. First, Good Job !&nbsp; &nbsp; With the latest update, there seem to be several issues fixed.&nbsp;Do you think the new system can be used without major problems now? Or should I stay on the legacy one? Thanks
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Al Pacino said: With the latest update, there seem to be several issues fixed.&nbsp;Do you think the new system can be used without major problems now? Or should I stay on the legacy one? It is fine to try out Updated Dynamic Lighting to kick the metaphorical tires, but realize that there are still known issues that may affect your game adversely. Additionally, the feature is under active development. Something may break in the coming weeks that ruins your game prep. It is your decision, but I would suggest that you stay with Legacy Dynamic Lighting until it is retired.
I’m sitting tight in Legacy at least until Night Vision becomes dim (and bright when overlapping other dim light)...

Edited 1595400619
I rather stupidly just subscribed and dove in with the new system - It was working great but after maybe 30m of play we soon realised with multiple refreshes that tokens and player views repeatedly changed, some players had the whole map revealed and others couldn't see at all, which made for an interesting game to say the least.&nbsp; I however have never used the legacy version before so will have to work out what the key differences are and learn how to do the "old" system, luckily I suppose there both new for me anyway! even broken its an amazing feature and makes for a really immersive experience. Keep up the great work ^_^&nbsp; (?)Updated Dynamic Lighting fails on very large maps. ( Possibly Fixed &nbsp;according to Drespar July 14th) --&gt; This happens and caused me and players to refresh in my game. (I think it has to do with the Ram allocated to the browser being dumped as those on older computers were hit by it long before those of us with high end systems) ((also the new feature with the tints, i was not aware was something new to the lighting system until it surprised someone with more experience then I, and frankly its my favourite feature. It makes it worlds easier to know what they can and cannot see with color I can't wait until they see their first slime ))&nbsp;
Damned this feature is still broken... awesome
Its so long to fixe it&nbsp;
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Al Pacino said: Its so long to fixe it&nbsp; Last time the Dynamic Lighting system was rewritten, it took 5 months before it was really usable again, and we did not have the previous version to fall back on. We also lost a major piece of functionality and had the system run slower when AFoW and Global Illumination were enabled then it did on the original. While it can be frustrating to not have the new system ready, the legacy system at least produces consistent results from week to week for people to use in their active games. It remains to be seen how long the rewrite will take to finish this time and whether we will lose existing functionality (like how much of the map is now blocked by DL lines in Updated Dynamic Lighting).
I suspect that this has been asked here before, but there's so much here that I can't find it: I'm running on Chrome on a Mac. For me, Low Light is identical to Bright Light. I've put two tokens, each with equal light radii, one of low light and one of bright light, so that their areas of light were just touching, and I couldn't tell any difference between them. Is this a known issue? Is it an issue with my system?

Edited 1595510659
The G said: I suspect that this has been asked here before, but there's so much here that I can't find it: I'm running on Chrome on a Mac. For me, Low Light is identical to Bright Light. I've put two tokens, each with equal light radii, one of low light and one of bright light, so that their areas of light were just touching, and I couldn't tell any difference between them. Is this a known issue? Is it an issue with my system? Ditto, virtually identical. Chrome on PC, Windows 10.
Brian C. said: Al Pacino said: Its so long to fixe it&nbsp; Last time the Dynamic Lighting system was rewritten, it took 5 months before it was really usable again, and we did not have the previous version to fall back on. We also lost a major piece of functionality and had the system run slower when AFoW and Global Illumination were enabled then it did on the original. While it can be frustrating to not have the new system ready, the legacy system at least produces consistent results from week to week for people to use in their active games. It remains to be seen how long the rewrite will take to finish this time and whether we will lose existing functionality (like how much of the map is now blocked by DL lines in Updated Dynamic Lighting). +1 to Brian's post. I've been on legacy the whole time, and I'm sticking with it until -- and ONLY until -- I can guarantee the same stability, feature set, and performance I have right now on UDL. The debacle with AFoW last year put a sour taste in my mouth, and I don't want to make the jump until UDL is absolutely rock solid.
Man we've been running "Dragon of Icespire Keep" perfectly for weeks with dynamic lighting. I'm using the bought module, this update borked lighting badly. Is anyone else having trouble assigning light sources to objects that players can see? I tried to add lamps to a homestead and instead of it making it visible within, it made everything invisible for everyone except the DM.

Edited 1595668536
Often times if I wanted to have a cave map that connects to the outdoors, I would do the following. 1. Turn On Dynamic Lightning, no global illumination 2. Switch to the Dynamic Lightning level 3. Drag some tokens onto the board and cause them to emit bright light. These tokens, because they are on the Dynamic Lighting layer, don't show up on anybody's screen except mine. I paste them all over the outdoor areas, creating sunlight. That just barely leeks into the cave entrances. However, with this new update, it seems that you can no longer cause things on the Dynamic Lighting layer to emit light?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Duncan H. said: Often times if I wanted to have a cave map that connects to the outdoors, I would do the following. 1. Turn On Dynamic Lightning, no global illumination 2. Switch to the Dynamic Lightning level 3. Drag some tokens onto the board and cause them to emit bright light. These tokens, because they are on the Dynamic Lighting layer, don't show up on anybody's screen except mine. I paste them all over the outdoor areas, creating sunlight. That just barely leeks into the cave entrances. However, with this new update, it seems that you can no longer cause things on the Dynamic Lighting layer to emit light? The 3rd-party light sources now only kick in when there is something observing them. I think its a known issue.
Hi all I haven't read everything that has been posted before, so please forgive me if I'm posting something double.&nbsp; While playing today we noticed a strange directional sight from the token we could not explain. The option Limited view was not selected.&nbsp; In the image below there is a light source and the token has night vision.&nbsp; For reference, we were playing the Storm King's Thunder module and were in the Eye of the Allfather map. This Map is 3711x5108 pixels.&nbsp; The Grid size was 10 ft. per unit.&nbsp; Regards Arnout
I have been having a ton of issues with Updated Dynamic Lighting lately....I had to turn it off on all the maps in my games on Friday and Saturday. Everything looked good when I (the GM) would look at but most of my players had issues. From the black screen to seeing no tokens not even their own.&nbsp; I did have one issue as GM I could see, it appeared tokens would randomly lose "Vision" after they were moved. I would have to turn "Vision" off, save and turn "Vision" back on to get it to work again. This happened to multiple tokens over multiple maps so I just turned of Dynamic lighting....even going back to ODL did not help.&nbsp; Anyone else having issues? Our last game was Saturday 10am to 3pm if that matters I sure this get fixed soon Dynamic lighting is one of my favorite features Note: I did think of one thing....I did copy the tokens form one map and paste them into the next....could that have caused the issue?
I have noticed more issues with the Updated Dynamic Lighting recently as others have mentioned. Today one of my player's Night Vision seemed to get stuck as if the field of vision settings were on but when I checked they were set to off. The vision "cone" was also VERY saturated as opposed to how it worked the days previously. I tried messing around with the settings to see if it was something I had mistakenly set up but couldn't find any reason for it to act like that. Also on occasion I (GM) can't see what my players see, as if their "vision" went away and I have to reset it. I've also noticed that opening a blank browser tab and returning to the game seemed to fix that issue on my end. I absolutely love the Updated Dynamic Lighting. It was working fine up until recently. Hoping it gets fixed soon, we rely heavily on it in our campaign.
is pro and plus to get Dynamic Lighting wourt it
personnally i had a lot of problems today : -Like others said sometimes some players had only a cone of vision instead of the 360° i resolved it by activating a restriction and deactivating it. -Making a player a light source made me lag (me the DM) and i had to reload to solve that issue. -Making a player a light source disabled all other light source and darkvision of some of my players -Some players had shadows at places that were supposed to be in full light. -Like others said sometimes (as a DM) i coudn't see what my players could see (or i could see correctly but they coudn't) Everything worked just fine when i tested it alone and during the session it was unplayable with all the issues. Hope it gets fixed soon otherwise i'll have to disable it permanently.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Allen.S said: is pro and plus to get Dynamic Lighting wourt it Yes, Plus is worth it for the Dynamic Lightning, but you should stay on the Legacy Dynamic Lighting until it is retired. Pro is great for the Transmogrifier and API, but those take a bit of research to learn how to use them (only a little bit, though).
Had a Issue today where if I added a Lightsource, Aura, or Darkvision to any token light would pass through any walls I had set up. Refreshing the page would work like 10% of the time
Like others said I only a cone of darkvision instead of the 360° Nothing I tried fixed it.
There is a weird sharpening glitch that I suspect is related to tokens of a certain type though I can't narrow it down further. See the graphic below The token highlighted in the red box has like a sharpening artifact of some kind that only occurs in areas of illumination. If I move the token around to darkness it goes away. This is an NPC token from Tomb of annihilation. You will notice that this doesn't occur for the PC tokens with red bars. It also occurs for the albino dwarf in the middle with the green bar when placed where the red box is. Global illumination is on as well as night vision for several of the surrounding tokens. Not sure what other information would be helpful. Thanks
Matt, I believe that artifact is caused by something nearby that has a 'night vision' setting turned on. I noticed those have a reduced resolution, which is great for my scifi campaign but I wish could be turned off. I'm sure that will get added with future updates.
Hm. These characters have dark vision so they need to be able to see and I figured that night vision was the equivalent. It's not a big deal here at least just looks gross. Anyways, thanks for the comment. On another note do you know if we are able to add light sources in the dynamic lightning layer? I could have sworn this was possible in the previous dynamic lightning implementation. Not sure if I am just missing it
Another bug (I imagine). Circlular objects on the dynamic layer do not occlude light??? path and square do...
Matt M. said: Another bug (I imagine). Circlular objects on the dynamic layer do not occlude light??? path and square do... It is generally discouraged from using circles on the dynamic layer. It is very difficult/complex/expensive to do the light tracing calculations with circles.
Fair enough, I would have thought the tool would be disabled then but good to know. Thanks Farling said: Matt M. said: Another bug (I imagine). Circlular objects on the dynamic layer do not occlude light??? path and square do... It is generally discouraged from using circles on the dynamic layer. It is very difficult/complex/expensive to do the light tracing calculations with circles.
Apologies if I missed anyone else's post with a similar or same issue as posted below. What you were trying to do: See which token's turn it is by scrolling over it in the turn order. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Only some tokens receive the yellow box around them when I scroll over them in the turn order window, and they seem to only be the ones on the edge of the areas lit up by player vision. In this first image I'm scrolling over one of the skeletons (as seen by the trash can icon in the turn order) and it is receiving the full yellow box around the token. In this second image, I'm doing the same thing with the next skeleton down (again, the trash can icon), and it is only receiving half of the yellow box around the token. Any other creature I scroll over in the turn order does not receive the yellow box to help indicate which one it is in the turn order. If I were to roll initiative for a group of creatures in complete darkness outside of player vision, the yellow boxes have no issue coming up at all. Steps to Reproduce: Create a map with the updated dynamic lighting. Place a token on the map and give it darkvision (mine has 60 ft. night vision). Place more tokens on the map. Open the turn order window and roll initiative for the tokens. Those in the vision of your tokens with night vision may or may not receive the yellow box around them.&nbsp;&nbsp; Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome on Windows 10 Is WebGL supported by your browser? ✓ This browser supports WebGL 1 Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7356339/wacky-watery-wavy-wand-wigglers" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7356339/wacky-watery-wavy-wand-wigglers</a> Game Settings 5e template Changed some of the token bar settings so that hp goes into the red circles, speed in the green, and ac in the blue. Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? No Were you using Daylight Mode or not? No, but if I turn this on, the problem seems to go away... but then the players have more vision than they should for a deep, dark dungeon. Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Nightvision(60ft.) on player tokens Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: On for my browser. I tried turning it off to see if that made any difference and it did not.
Starting today, i'm seeing an entire screen of white while working as aGM using the new Dynamic Lighting system. It's hard to see the map and tokens, but when a token with sight is nearby, i can see map normally. As a GM.........
TAVelcro &nbsp;said: Starting today, i'm seeing an entire screen of white while working as aGM using the new Dynamic Lighting system. It's hard to see the map and tokens, but when a token with sight is nearby, i can see map normally. As a GM......... I am also getting the same thing especially when there are tokens as light sources.
It says they’ve reached Feature Parity but no mention of dim light Darkvision and overlapping it with other dim light to make bright. Am I missing something?...
Hello and good morning. We have a problem during the game which occurs with dynamic lights and explorer mode activated, when the characters use the zoom the map overlaps and discovers unwanted areas, Thanks for your work we are very happy with the platform

Edited 1596210305
There needs to be better differentiation between bright and low light with the new Updated Dynamic Lighting. With UDL enabled with 10 ft of bright light and 10 ft of low Light (20 ft Total) And to complicate matters with an "explored" area visiable And this is what the same area and vision using Legacy DL It's easier to see the differences between bright, low light, and "explored" areas. Further, it appears that when a token has Bright Light enabled and using the Advanced 200% modifier, it seems that this allows all tokens in the area to see at the 200% (not just the token with the increased modifier).