Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A New Light - Bug Thread - Updated Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War

Made several maps using the Legacy Ad Lighting and now none of them appear to load.  Im just getting a black screen.  Also when I try to create a new map using the Legacy Ad Lighting NOTHING seems to be working correctly.  I recently signed up as Plus for a whole year and this is just making me regret it.
I didn't see this listed among the known bugs, but has anyone else had problems with the "restrict movement" feature since the update?  It works most of the time (but not all of the time) on legacy dynamic lighting, but doesn't seem to work much at all on updated dynamic lighting.  

Edited 1586714679
New updated lighting seems nice except that night vision needs either toggle for dim or bright or setting distances for each bright and dim for night vision.  I would start using it if it had way to make night vision dim.
Has UDL been turned off?  It was working during my session last night and now when I go into my game settings the option is completely gone.  Likewise, if I edit a token's properties in game, the UDL options are missing. All that is available is legacy lighting.
I couldn't get into the legacy mode. Tokens lost sight, sometimes had to reload the page, sometime just had to move the token. SometimesTokens gained sight outside the map, and sometimes spurious light sources appeared. We stopped, as I needed the dynamic lighting for that encounter, but it was unplayable. Bring back the legacy version. This is as bad as your former zooming "update".  

Edited 1586730600
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
What you were trying to do: 1. Press CMD+L to view things from a player view. 2. Play the game smoothly. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) 1. From the GM's perspective, the player can see through walls, except sometimes one wall might work but not others. Players report that the walls are working but I can't see what they are seeing. 2. With the new system turned on, my entire computer was so slow that the mouse cursor stuttered around, my computer took 10-30 seconds to switch windows, and the game was so slow and laggy it was unmanageable. Going back to 'legacy' removed all performace issues. I'm using a Macbook Pro 2012 with OS Sierra Steps to Reproduce: Turn on token vision and the new dynamic lighting in the page settings. Browser &amp; OS info: OS Sierra, Chrome Is WebGL supported by your browser? Platform: MacIntel Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/80.0.3987.163 Safari/537.36 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium) Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0 Chromium) Vendor: WebKit Renderer: WebKit WebGL Unmasked Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Unmasked Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M OpenGL Engine Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: No Major Performance Caveat: No Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) Using the ' Sunless Citadel ' module add-on from Tales of the Yawning Portal, &nbsp;but with a custom character sheet. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5240319/the-sunless-citadel-playtest-new-system" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5240319/the-sunless-citadel-playtest-new-system</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default? Just the character sheet, changed from 5e to 'custom' Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Were you using Daylight Mode or not? Updated Explorer off Daylight mode was on and off at one point with the same issues. Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Regular vision Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Yes Note: Going back in today and swiching on the new lighting seems to be working okay but without other players joining in.
I bought the Waterdeep Dungeon of the Mad Mage for the maps with dynamic lighting. It worked great until this update. Now the lighting doesn't work at all. Some players cannot see anything that should be able to, some see way more than they should be able to. I can't adjust what emits light nor how much, and none of my monster tokens are showing up for people. Some of them can't even see each other (and can only see their token, maybe some of the map). I either have to completely restart the map and repopulate it (I didn't buy the pre-populated map, and while I didn't mind filling it in, I don't want to spend the hours to do it again). Any ideas on what I can do or do I just need to try restarting all again?
What you were trying to do: Explore a dungeon What happened: &nbsp;While using dynamic lighting updated system anytime the web page loads slower and is slowed or completely freezes whenever a player moves their token originally thought this was due to weekend overload but problem stopped happening when Updated Dynamic lighting was switched off.This occurred for all players but was worse it seems on the Gm side of things Steps to Reproduce: While using Dynamic Lighting Updated system a player moves there token occurred for both daylight mode on and off Browser &amp; OS info: Everyone uses windows 10&nbsp; varying browsers including Edge, Chrome, and Firefox Is WebGL supported by your browser? yes Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. Game Link:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6515420/descent-into-avernus" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6515420/descent-into-avernus</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default? no Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Problem exists when using updated have changed back to legacy Were you using Explorer Mode or not? no Were you using Daylight Mode or not? both yes and no Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) low light and night vision Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Unknown for all players both on and off while trying to use for me SpeedTest Ping 12 Download 146.39&nbsp; Upload 11.87
I experienced several of the known bugs on Friday night. first - I like the new user interface for this.&nbsp; its clean and simple second - a suggestion (not sure where else to put this) - Darkvision in 5E grants dim light vision (as noted previously), but it is also in gray-scale.&nbsp; Suggest that an option be added both for dim light/low light for Night Vision, and one for gray-scale.&nbsp; Toggle whichever option your game uses (or the one you want to use).&nbsp; Obviously, working out how that interacts with actual light sources would need to be resolved as well.&nbsp;
Firefox 75. Large maps with lots of dynamic lights cause my GPU to hit 100% and FF to hard crash not long after. Running an 8800k and a 1070. Chrome is fine. Firefox crashes and burns.

Edited 1586754181
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Trying out the new dynamic lighting. If I give a token sight. I cannot drop the token when moving it anywhere other than where it was to start. It physically will not leave my mouse pointer no matter how I click, its stuck to my pointer (the first movement is me trying to place it..). In the recording it looks like it drops a few times, that just when I click to TRY to drop it, it pause but then snaps back to my mouse. I disable "Vision" and it drops normally. At first I didn't even realize I could drop it back where I picked it up from, I had to refresh the page to get it unglued from my mouse.
Tried playing last night on Dungeon of Dead Three map from Descent to Avernus. Very buggy. Seemed to have shifted to the new lighting system and couldn't see any way to make it go back. Had to edit all the PC tokens to use the new dynamic lighting tab. Then got the following: Sometimes players couldn't see anything until they moved their token a bit and then put it back down again Sometimes players couldn't see light emitted by other player's tokens and sometimes they could. One Player could see through walls entirely in about a 100' radius. Periodically when someone moved it revealed the whole map for them. Went back and tested it this morning - edited all the legacy settings out of the token. Still getting all of the above apart from 3. This feature needs some serious testing and bug fixing to check its behaviour on existing maps. It has the potential to be a better and clearer interface but the current situation with the legacy settings and the new on at the same time is seriously confusing and it often isn't clear at all which is causing the problem.
Michael B. said: Tried playing last night on Dungeon of Dead Three map from Descent to Avernus. Very buggy. Seemed to have shifted to the new lighting system and couldn't see any way to make it go back. Had to edit all the PC tokens to use the new dynamic lighting tab. Then got the following: Sometimes players couldn't see anything until they moved their token a bit and then put it back down again Sometimes players couldn't see light emitted by other player's tokens and sometimes they could. One Player could see through walls entirely in about a 100' radius. Periodically when someone moved it revealed the whole map for them. Went back and tested it this morning - edited all the legacy settings out of the token. Still getting all of the above apart from 3. This feature needs some serious testing and bug fixing to check its behaviour on existing maps. It has the potential to be a better and clearer interface but the current situation with the legacy settings and the new on at the same time is seriously confusing and it often isn't clear at all which is causing the problem. I am having the exact same issue. Legacy lighting just plain isn't working at all, the new dynamic lighting seems to be the only thing that lets dynamic lighting works at all on my maps, and it is completely broken. It's made roll20 practically useless for me.
Hope they revert this patch immediately. This "new" system was not needed and there was no reason to push a patch that already showed plenty of bugs in test server.
Hi, Just a little hot fix that works for my players.&nbsp; Page setting: Fog of war: off AFOW: off DL: on (ONLY check update on drop!!) Restrict movement: on NUDL: off PC tokens (They all have nightvision sooo :-) - so play around with it if you players have light sources) Emits light: set to 60/120 ft. has sight active AFoW: off NUDL: off Monster/NPC tokens: emits light: off has sight: off NUDL: off Remember!!! Turn off the light and vision for ALL monstertokens on the map or the players will be able to see parts of the map. API script: LightCrumbtrails - set to individual players just my 2 cent on how to work around the problems while the good people at roll20 hurry up and fix the lighting system. Peace and godspeed to the roll20 crew. Think they are putting in some serious hours these days.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Ken &nbsp;said: Made several maps using the Legacy Ad Lighting and now none of them appear to load.&nbsp; Im just getting a black screen.&nbsp; Also when I try to create a new map using the Legacy Ad Lighting NOTHING seems to be working correctly.&nbsp; I recently signed up as Plus for a whole year and this is just making me regret it. Melarith said: I am having the exact same issue. Legacy lighting just plain isn't working at all, the new dynamic lighting seems to be the only thing that lets dynamic lighting works at all on my maps, and it is completely broken. It's made roll20 practically useless for me. Hey Ken and Melarith - Sorry for the trouble. I just tried to recreate your problem, but I was able to use both Legacy and Updated Dynamic Lighting. Can you let me know which of your games you were having the trouble in? With your permission, I can look at that game specifically to see how you've set it up. Also it'd be helpful to know your Operating System and Browser version.&nbsp; Thanks!
Hey Kenton.&nbsp; I've asked this several times within this forum and the other UDL forum with no answer.&nbsp; Will the new UDL require high end CPU, GPU, and memory to operate properly?&nbsp; I have several players who are playing on minimal machines and the current system works fine, other than trying to use AFOW.

Edited 1586832441
What you were trying to do:&nbsp; Using CTRL-L to see what a player token would see. What happened: I turned on Updated Dynamic lighting and set a character token to have night vision for 60 ft. I hit CTRL-L and all I can see is the character icon and the rest of the map is black. I opened up the same game instance in FireFox and do the exact same steps. I am able to see everything as intended. Steps to Reproduce: 1. Select player token 2. Hit CTRL-L 4. Entire map turns black except for player token that should have night vision 60 ft. Browser &amp; OS info: Safari 13.1 (Doesn't Work) FireFox 75.0 (Works) macOS 10.15.5 Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. MacIntel Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.1 Safari/605.1.15 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 (1.20) Vendor: WebKit Renderer: WebKit WebGL Unmasked Vendor: Intel Inc. Unmasked Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: No Major Performance Caveat: No Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6247728/wrath-of-the-righteous" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6247728/wrath-of-the-righteous</a> Game Settings Updated Dynamic Lighting: On Explorer Mode: Off Daylight Mode: Off Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Were you using Daylight Mode or not? Token Settings Just Night Vision set at 60 ft. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Off FYI, I did try it again by turning on WebGL 2.0 for Safari from the Experimental Features, and it still doesn't work.

Edited 1586868484
DM
Plus
Kenton said: Ken &nbsp;said: Made several maps using the Legacy Ad Lighting and now none of them appear to load.&nbsp; Im just getting a black screen.&nbsp; Also when I try to create a new map using the Legacy Ad Lighting NOTHING seems to be working correctly.&nbsp; I recently signed up as Plus for a whole year and this is just making me regret it. Melarith said: I am having the exact same issue. Legacy lighting just plain isn't working at all, the new dynamic lighting seems to be the only thing that lets dynamic lighting works at all on my maps, and it is completely broken. It's made roll20 practically useless for me. Hey Ken and Melarith - Sorry for the trouble. I just tried to recreate your problem, but I was able to use both Legacy and Updated Dynamic Lighting. Can you let me know which of your games you were having the trouble in? With your permission, I can look at that game specifically to see how you've set it up. Also it'd be helpful to know your Operating System and Browser version.&nbsp; Thanks! I note you didn't reply to my post - rather Merlarith's reply to it.Are you open to checking this one? However the operating system was Chrome&nbsp; Version 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit) . As I said in the post the scenario was Descent to Avernus, the map was Dungeon of the Dead Three. It is on there now with the tokens on it and the settings.
Hi! Is it possible to reset a already explored map?
I'll be blunt. I believe this new version is too hardware intensive. I hear more noise from my fans than usual under this mode. Second I think the shadow likes are too jagged and not enough AA compared to it's legacy brother.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Bob P. said: Hey Kenton.&nbsp; I've asked this several times within this forum and the other UDL forum with no answer.&nbsp; Will the new UDL require high end CPU, GPU, and memory to operate properly?&nbsp; I have several players who are playing on minimal machines and the current system works fine, other than trying to use AFOW. Hey Bob P. Our goal from the start of this project was to make these features more accessible to more hardware. We are still optimizing, but even at the current state, your Players should have a better experience.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Michael B. said: I note you didn't reply to my post - rather Merlarith's reply to it.Are you open to checking this one? However the operating system was Chrome&nbsp; Version 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit) . As I said in the post the scenario was Descent to Avernus, the map was Dungeon of the Dead Three. It is on there now with the tokens on it and the settings. Hi Michael - I will take a look at your game. Thanks for the extra info. Based on your original post, I think the problems you're experiencing are different than Merlarith and Ken.
I asked this a while ago but no response. Will there be an "only update on drop option" as without it you can just pick up a token and move it everywhere and see everything and nobody would know you had done it. I have tried, with no joy, to jusry rig this legacy option with the new version but it really is one or the other it seems. Thanks
I would like to echo the "only update on drop option" sentiments stated here.&nbsp; "Squeaky wheel..."
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
. and GM - It's listed on the Known Issues List .&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Update on Drop has been asked multiple times in the preceding pages. The answer is implied in the top post: Kenton &nbsp;said: This update is still in active development&nbsp; and will continue to be so until it reaches feature parity with Legacy Dynamic Lighting.&nbsp; And specifically addressed several posts later: Drespar &nbsp;said: That is considered feature parity and will be present when Updated Dynamic Lighting is considered "finished." Bob P. &nbsp;said: Drespar:&nbsp; What about Update on Drop?
Are there any plans to update the sight radius to be more discernible? Right now, the sight radius is shown with the grid lines actual color and anything previously explored is "lightly greyed out". Aside from enemy tokens disappearing at the appropriate distance, it's really hard to discern exactly where the character's vision ends.

Edited 1586888185
Hi, thanks for all the replies and for working on this amazing platform, i really enjoy all the work you guys are putting in it, and just wanted to say Thank You.&nbsp; Furthermore, i would like to propose that you guys create a one-sided barrier, so we could use it on ledges and high ground, making a player still able to see what is behind it, but not in front of it. I've been working on some mountain passes, and if one player wants to be at a high ground, he should be able to see what is in low ground, and deleting the wall would make the players still in low ground able to see on high ground.&nbsp; Don't know if more people would use this as well, but it would reeeally make things easier on multi-level dungeons and maps.&nbsp; Thanks again for your awesome work, still waiting for "UPDATE ON DROP" on the updated dynamic lighting!
This is a feature request and since this is a generic thread about the updated dynamic lighting I would really &nbsp;love a way to break up Vision Blocking Layer lines so when my barbarian inevitably barges through an interior wall rather than&nbsp; using a door I, as the GM, can insert a line segment that can be deleted in order to not have to delete the whole wall and/or not having to make each grid unit a discrete section of VBL line.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The API script&nbsp; Dynamic Light Helper (available from One Click) looks like it might help with this issue. I've never used it, though.
Bug Report Template Please, please please report any issues you experience with this feature! Here's the information we'll need from you. Please copy/paste and fill this in as much as possible: What you were trying to do: I was trying to move a torch token with bright light to the GM layer leaving the players in a dark room with only a candle (dim light) burning. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) All players can see the light from the token I moved to the GM layer. Steps to Reproduce: Make a room, add dynamic light walls. add one source of light than another. move one source to GM layer. Players can still see light from the token moved to GM layer. This can be problematic when I am trying hide monsters that give off light. The thought that light was visible from&nbsp; token on the GM layer, is counter intutive. Browser &amp; OS info: Firefox on Ubuntu Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. Linux x86_64 Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:75.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/75.0 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 Vendor: Mozilla Renderer: Mozilla Unmasked Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Unmasked Renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: No Major Performance Caveat: No Vertex Shader Max Vertex Attributes: 16 Max Vertex Uniform Vectors: 1024 Max Vertex Texture Image Units: 32 Max Varying Vectors: 32 Best float precision: [-2 127 , 2 127 ] (23) Transform Feedback Coming in WebGL 2 Rasterizer Aliased Line Width Range: [1, 10] Aliased Point Size Range: [1, 2047] Fragment Shader Max Fragment Uniform Vectors: 1024 Max Texture Image Units: 32 float/int precision: highp/highp Best float precision: [-2 127 , 2 127 ] (23) Framebuffer Max Color Buffers: 8 RGBA Bits: [8, 8, 8, 8] Depth / Stencil Bits: [24, 8] Max Render Buffer Size: 32768 Max Viewport Dimensions: [32768, 32768] Textures Max Texture Size: 32768 Max Cube Map Texture Size: 32768 Max Combined Texture Image Units: 192 Max Anisotropy: 16 Uniform Buffers Coming in WebGL 2 Supported Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_sRGB EXT_texture_compression_bptc EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic OES_element_index_uint OES_fbo_render_mipmap OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context To see draft extensions in Firefox, browse to about:config and set webgl.enable-draft-extensions to true. Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6679844/curse-of-strahd-template" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6679844/curse-of-strahd-template</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default? Probably, I am trying to convert my legacy game into the new light system. Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Trying to use updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Not Were you using Daylight Mode or not? Not Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) vision Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: on Speedtest Results Upload, Download, and Ping values. fast I hope these breaking changes get fixed before legacy is done away with.

Edited 1586896937
What you were trying to do: Placing sight lines and light emitting tokens and checking to see how it What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) After a while the light emitting just stops working. It happened while placing them and it happened while checking with a token. I see it as GM and from player view. It seems that after a certain time it just resets. I can fix it by selecting the token, moving it to a different square and putting it back where I want it. Selecting ALL light emitting tokens across the map and moving all of them at once and back also seems to reset it for a while.&nbsp; Steps to Reproduce: Place light emitting tokens, wait awhile. (I might have alt-tabbed / moved away from the page?) Browser &amp; OS info: Google Chorome Is WebGL supported by your browser? Yes ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic WEBKIT_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_sRGB KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_element_index_uint OES_fbo_render_mipmap OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBKIT_WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context WEBKIT_WEBGL_lose_context Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6396979/the-spread" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6396979/the-spread</a> Game Settings Not that I know Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? No Were you using Daylight Mode or not? No Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Token has sight to 60 ft. Regular vision There are some light emitting tokens in the room.&nbsp; Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Speedtest Results Upload, Download, and Ping values. Upload: 40,76 Download: 188.43 Ping: 9&nbsp; Sceenshots:&nbsp; Player View GM View GM View and Player view after bug
I had to postpone a game yesterday because my players' laptops-- which could run Roll20 before this update-- were overheating, freezing, and ceasing to function after this update. The new system was disabled. I'm not the only person saying this (as noted in the quotes below). My players do *not* have a better experience. I already cancelled my subscription, and am doing my damnedest not to use Roll20 any more, because it's such a poor experience for my players. Nonetheless, I am here, having this conversation because *I care* about the service. I was here 15 months ago when this broke, offering constructive criticism. I was here 8 months ago, when A New Light was first announced, excited for a time when I would be able to use the dynamic lighting I'd purchased a year's subscription for. I was three months ago, when A New Light was announced for Q1 2020 ( <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/post/190023717355/naturally-critical-roll20-in-2020" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/post/190023717355/naturally-critical-roll20-in-2020</a> ). I was here a month ago, when we were assured it was coming in Q1 2020 ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/8138578/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/8138578/</a> ). I was here on April 8th, when A New Light actually came out. And I am here now, trying to have faith in the leadership team at Roll20. But you know what? It's a lot harder while being gaslit. Saying that, to paraphrase "you're still optimizing, but that the status quo should be a better experience" is unacceptable right now. In the face of overwhelmingly negative feedback, and clear communication from the community that this was not ready , the message we need to hear is: "I'm sorry that Roll20 isn't meeting your players' needs. We hear you, and we're doing our best to fix the problems as soon as possible Please contact support with concerns about your subscription." Even better would be: "Hey folks. Obviously, this update wasn't ready. We've rolled it back, and will continue testing on the dev server. We're sorry for this delay, but we want to make sure this core feature is as polished as you expect when it comes out. Thanks again for your patience." I'm a lost cause, but there are oodles of subscribers out there whose subscription status depends on the messaging around this. I said a year ago that these issues were a sign of process issues at the management level. I'll go further now-- Roll20 has a culture issue. This change should have been rolled back. The fact that it wasn't, and that it was shipped at all given the pro forum feedback, is embarrassing. I apologize for the frustration evident in my words, but this has been without a doubt the worst experience I've ever had with a consumer product, let alone a software product. Kenton said: Bob P. said: Hey Kenton.&nbsp; I've asked this several times within this forum and the other UDL forum with no answer.&nbsp; Will the new UDL require high end CPU, GPU, and memory to operate properly?&nbsp; I have several players who are playing on minimal machines and the current system works fine, other than trying to use AFOW. Secrios said: I'll be blunt. I believe this new version is too hardware intensive. I hear more noise from my fans than usual under this mode. Second I think the shadow likes are too jagged and not enough AA compared to it's legacy brother. Hey Bob P. Our goal from the start of this project was to make these features more accessible to more hardware. We are still optimizing, but even at the current state, your Players should have a better experience.
Just a curiosity question as i pop in here every now and again to see what is doing with light. Will the points in post 2 of the thread be updated with Resolved Date etc .. or do we look to patch notes in the other subforum?

Edited 1586913579
I have a bit of an unusual situation. I play with three people total (myself, my fiance and my brother in law) and we are all GMs of the game (permissions wise) because we don't typically use the lighting for vision &nbsp;but for mood . That means there are no PLAYERS in my game, only GMs. I have been trying to build a Bog Witch map for us in my own private campaign (a game where I am the only person with access to it - I do this as a storage place for maps as we are reaching 300+ maps for our six year long story-game) and wanted to test the new lighting system to get used to it while I have copious quarantine-free time. The problem is, I put out light tokens on the Map Layer (as I always do) and set the lighting and GM opacity to what I wanted (which I have always done) and now if I pull off tokens from the library (premium or personal) the lighting winks out like I turned the switch off and can't be brought back up unless I reload the game. Obviously that means I cannot build a map with the lighting in mind. I am building this currently with no tokens &nbsp;on the map that have vision, because I have never needed a token sitting on the map for anything other than scale. This is a 40x40 map using 1 Square as the measurements, yes the grid is turned off intentionally. We turn the opacity of the grid to 0 when not in combat and turn it back up to normal for combat as this is a story &nbsp;game not a mechanics &nbsp;game. Map with the lighting successfully on (a fresh reload) Map with the lighting turned off entirely. Understandably, this changes the feeling of the map in a huge way and while I accept that this is a minor frustration, it is a frustration nonetheless. If the system weren't turning off the lighting every time I moved or added something I would have no issues with these changes as they fit with what I am used to doing. For the foreseeable future though, I will stick with the lighting I know. Edit: pulling a token turns off the lights - meaning it goes to complete darkness (at least as dark as my GM opacity is) not completely bright.
Bug Report Template Please, please please report any issues you experience with this feature! Here's the information we'll need from you. Please copy/paste and fill this in as much as possible: What you were trying to do: Set the vison for my players to 160Deg so they can only see what is in the direction of where their token is facing. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Did not find a setting for it anywhere Steps to Reproduce: Browser &amp; OS info: Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) Game Settings Was anything changed from default? Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Were you using Daylight Mode or not? Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Speedtest Results Upload, Download, and Ping values. Console Log

Edited 1586959116
What you were trying to do: Run a DnD campaign What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Two nights in a row as a GM, I have experienced terrible performance with the new dynamic lighting and explorer mode turned on. Both occurred in separate campaigns and maps. My players experienced a little bit of lag but for me as the GM, the roll20 site became completely unresponsive. I would have to wait a good 3-4 minutes until it passed. It mostly occurred when any of my players moved a token or pinged the map. I had to turn the new dynamic lighting completely off and use the old lighting.&nbsp; Monday night I had 5 players and myself. We did not use the audio or video of roll20, we were using ZOOM. Last night my group of 6 players and myself were using roll20 audio and vidieo.&nbsp; Steps to Reproduce: Using Chrome, Load in as a GM where the maps are using the new dynamic lighting and explorer mode. I also had player tokens set to have night vision up 60 feet and bright light to 30 feet. As a GM, any time a player would move a token or ping the map, I as the GM could not navigate or do anything on the roll20 site. Everything became unresponsive. This occurred in two different campaigns on Monday and Tuesday night.&nbsp; Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome. Windows 10.&nbsp; Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5988782/war-of-the-lance" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5988782/war-of-the-lance</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5718668/the-forge-of-fury" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5718668/the-forge-of-fury</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default? No Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Yes&nbsp; Were you using Daylight Mode or not? no Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens?Night vision and Bright light.&nbsp; (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: No
What you were trying to do: Run a D&amp;D 5e game on a purchased module (Karaktul Outpost from the Adventure Atlas), with pre-done dynamic lighting on the legacy DL system. What happened: &nbsp;Multiple players could see their token, and one or two tokens of others in the party, but not all tokens.&nbsp; It seemed random which ones appeared and which ones did not.&nbsp; For two players, simply refreshing their browser worked.&nbsp; For one, multiple refreshes did not work and they had to rely on screen shots taken by another player and sent to them via Discord to know where their allies were in combat. Steps to Reproduce: As DM on a map with pre-done dynamic lighting and character tokens that were on the map prior to the update, load the VTT and have the players join.&nbsp; Several had vision issues; have them try refreshing their browser.&nbsp; For at least one player, the issues persisted after refresh. Browser / OS: Chrome, Windows 10 (both on my machine and my player's machine who had the persistent issues even after refreshing her browser and restarting her PC) WebGL: Yes, on both machines. Game Link:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/3867641/alfreds-angels" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/3867641/alfreds-angels</a> Map Settings: Legacy Dynamic Lighting with no AFOW, update only on drop and restrict movement, with no global illumination (torches on the map) Token Settings: Several tokens (including those of the player who had issues) have dark vision (they have sight and emit light to 60 ft starting dim at 0 ft, but other players do not see the light they emit).&nbsp; A couple tokens do not have dark vision.&nbsp; The NPC / enemy tokens do not have vision nor do they emit light (I turn those off for performance).&nbsp;&nbsp; Hardware Acceleration: I have it turned on; I don't know if my players do or not.
Taylor D. said: Just a heads up, the Legacy lighting completely ruined my game today by constantly freezing their screens because of how slow it makes their computers. If you make the new Legacy lighting the permanent only version I'll end my subscription because I won't be able to play.&nbsp; This happened to one of my players on Tuesday as well. For no reason he was suffering from extreme lag to the point of not being able to move his tokens for most of the game, even though he had no trouble before A New light.
Another voice amongst many Long time paid user of Roll20 here. The new lighting system looks awful on my PC. This is fine, I understand you are working on it so no big-deal. However, the legacy system is no longer working..... This IS a big deal. Following errors (there may be more) 1) External light sources no longer provide light for PCs. EG: A bonfire in the middle of the camp-site or a lit-torch. They simply do nothing. This was working before the recent changes. 2) When using CTRL-L, PCs can now see tokens on the GM layer. I am not confident that PCs will not see items on the GM layer when we come to play. I've just wasted 2 hours of valuable prep time trying to get a map working when the issue is a straight server error. I understand that bugs creep out during software development, I work in software development myself. However, this is a live system that subscribers pay to use. You really need to roll back your recent release to make sure that the legacy system is working. I would be grateful if you could address this ASAP. Thanks Richard (frustated DM)
I'm intrigued that people are having problems with the legacy system.&nbsp; It doesn't seem any different to me (still as laggy as it always was).&nbsp; I'm wondering if people are switching from "updated" to "legacy" and not refreshing the page?&nbsp; When I switched between the two systems I always had to refresh before either worked correctly.
Bug Report Template Please, please please report any issues you experience with this feature! Here's the information we'll need from you. Please copy/paste and fill this in as much as possible: What you were trying to do: Test the new lighting features.&nbsp; When I zoomed out to 40% image became quite strange. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Steps to Reproduce:&nbsp; Zoom out&nbsp; from 100% to 40% Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome, Windows 10 Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. Supports WebGL1 and WebGl2 Win32 Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/80.0.3987.163 Safari/537.36 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium) Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0 Chromium) Vendor: WebKit Renderer: WebKit WebGL Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0) Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: Yes, D3D11 Major Performance Caveat: No Vertex Shader Max Vertex Attributes: 16 Max Vertex Uniform Vectors: 4096 Max Vertex Texture Image Units: 16 Max Varying Vectors: 30 Best float precision: [-2 127 , 2 127 ] (23) Transform Feedback Coming in&nbsp; WebGL 2 Rasterizer Aliased Line Width Range: [1, 1] Aliased Point Size Range: [1, 1024] Fragment Shader Max Fragment Uniform Vectors: 1024 Max Texture Image Units: 16 float/int precision: highp/highp Best float precision: [-2 127 , 2 127 ] (23) Framebuffer Max Color Buffers: 8 RGBA Bits: [8, 8, 8, 8] Depth / Stencil Bits: [24, 8] Max Render Buffer Size: 16384 Max Viewport Dimensions: [32767, 32767] Textures Max Texture Size: 16384 Max Cube Map Texture Size: 16384 Max Combined Texture Image Units: 32 Max Anisotropy: 16 Uniform Buffers Coming in&nbsp; WebGL 2 Supported Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic WEBKIT_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_sRGB KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_element_index_uint OES_fbo_render_mipmap OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBKIT_WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context WEBKIT_WEBGL_lose_context WEBGL_multi_draw WEBGL_video_texture Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) Game Settings Was anything changed from default? No Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? yes Were you using Daylight Mode or not? no Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) night vision 30 ft. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: on Speedtest Results Upload, Download, and Ping values. Console Log
Hey folks -&nbsp; We have pushed out a fix today which should resolve reported issues [ 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 ,&nbsp; 5 ] with switching between the legacy and new system. Please let us know if you're still having any trouble. Thank you!
Richard B. said: 2) When using CTRL-L, PCs can now see tokens on the GM layer. I am not confident that PCs will not see items on the GM layer when we come to play. Hi Richard, I think that you (as a GM) always see what is on the GM layer even when you try to look using Ctrl-L. Your players on the other hand will not.
OK - thanks RavenKnight. I didn't think that was the case. Maybe lockdown is making me go odd.....
Richard B. said: Maybe lockdown is making me go odd..... You and me both. ;)
Gabriel Foster said: But you know what? It's a lot harder while being gaslit. Saying that, to paraphrase "you're still optimizing, but that the status quo should be a better experience" is unacceptable right now. In the face of overwhelmingly negative feedback, and clear communication from the community that this was not ready , the message we need to hear is: "I'm sorry that Roll20 isn't meeting your players' needs. We hear you, and we're doing our best to fix the problems as soon as possible Please contact support with concerns about your subscription." Even better would be: "Hey folks. Obviously, this update wasn't ready. We've rolled it back, and will continue testing on the dev server. We're sorry for this delay, but we want to make sure this core feature is as polished as you expect when it comes out. Thanks again for your patience." &lt;snip&gt; but there are oodles of subscribers out there whose subscription status depends on the messaging around this. I said a year ago that these issues were a sign of process issues at the management level. I'll go further now-- Roll20 has a culture issue. This change should have been rolled back. The fact that it wasn't, and that it was shipped at all given the pro forum feedback, is embarrassing. I apologize for the frustration evident in my words, but this has been without a doubt the worst experience I've ever had with a consumer product, let alone a software product. Pretty much sums up my feelings in a nutshell. Roll20 folks, after last year's AFoW fiasco, for you to go right back to rolling something completely broken out and then pretending it actually works properly (what happened during the first two months of AFoW, at minimum) demonstrates that something is very wrong with your culture and your development process. Even if the new light system winds up achieving parity with the old -- not just in features but in performance (the latter being an absolute dealbreaker) -- think about how much bad feeling you have generated by insisting on releasing this clearly-not-ready feature in April, instead of fixing the many, many issues reported by your user base first. You need to make substantial changes to how you operate.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Ben t. said: I cant describe the problem propery but it seems the dynamic lighting isnt mapping to the area an is effectively shrinking the dynamic lighting map along the horzontal axis gm view and ctrl +L view below&nbsp; the game name is tomb of Annihilation&nbsp; I had the same problem earlier and finally figured out how to replicate it reliably. If you zoom out on the browser (not the Roll20 zoom but the browser zoom) to 80% or less, the gray Explorer map shrinks.