Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A New Light - Bug Thread - Updated Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War

ran session tonight players no longer have 360deg view you have to spin the token to see behind it, field of view ia limited to about 45deg

Edited 1597216516
JJA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Once the New Light updated dynamic lighting was introduced, I started seeing this glitch in one of my games (where I was a player) where all of the tokens on the map except my own looked like they were lo-res, whereas mine (and the map itself) looked hi-res.  Today, having just used the dynamic lighting conversion tool Roll20 provided for a game I DM, I thought my maps were all set, and I seemed to be but for one map in the session I ran today, all the tokens were displaying as all fuzzy to me, just like in my other game. So I set about trying to figure it out, and I think I accidentally figured out what was making it happen. I don't know if this was an asked and answered question long ago or not, but I thought this might help someone. I can't explain WHY this did anything, but doing this definitely fixed the issue I was seeing: 1. Go to the settings for the map page. 2. Scroll down on the Page Details tab and toggle the (Legacy) Dynamic Lighting setting to ON. 3. Toggle the "Enforce Line of Sight". If it was on already, toggle it to OFF.  4. Toggle off (Legacy) Dynamic Lighting. 5. Click OK. That fixed it for me on four different pages, so I think it's solid! My DM hasn't tried it yet, but I'm pretty confident it should work since it worked consistently in my own game. BTW, you'll probably also want to update your default Game Settings after you use the New Light conversion tool, so that all new pages use the new dynamic lighting system. Anyway, hope that saves someone else some aggravation! 
Hi.  I just converted my game to the new updated dyncamic light that I used before. Now I have massive problem regarding light. I made some screenshot.  GM VIEW PLAYER VIEW TOKEN CONFIG The map is the 2° level of the module of the Dungeon of The Mad Mage. In addition to this problem, I have some enemy tokens with strange shapes of light (even much stranger than this) and the light token on the lighting level are totally wrong. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a broken feature?
Tom B. said: With the new dynamic lighting does anyone know if there's a way to 1 - have a simple macro button or something to toggle light sources on/off (i.e. if a player lights a torch) 2 - Let the player control toggling on/off a torch/lamp/lightsource etc Questions should probably be in a different thread, since this thread is for bug reports on the new lighting.
Hi bug with random extra triangles. This happens on Chrome and Firefox Steps to reproduce 1. Create a new page 14x10 5ft squares; turn on updated dynamic lighting with explorer mode enabled 2. Click the page to switch to it. 3. Be surprised by random triangles that have appeared! These are LIT areas... If you put a token on the map with Vision under your control, drop your player icon onto this map, and play it then you will see the triangle. Would appreciate an ETA to fix.  Happy to test updates. Thank you :) Windows 10.0.19041 latest update) Chrome 84.0.4147.125  ( Official Build )  (64-bit)   (cohort: 84_Win_125) Firefox 78.0.2
Yep, having the same issue with the player view showing only a narrow beam of light when dynamic lighting and nightvision is on.
Dynamic lighting seems to be working great for me, for the most part.  However, I enabled advanced dynamic lighting in daylight mode on a very large map (probably not the wisest move), and now I can't even load that game anymore.  Every time I load, it tries to place my default view on the very large map and then crashes.  Is there any way to disable the dynamic lighting for that map?
Noah D. said: Dynamic lighting seems to be working great for me, for the most part.  However, I enabled advanced dynamic lighting in daylight mode on a very large map (probably not the wisest move), and now I can't even load that game anymore.  Every time I load, it tries to place my default view on the very large map and then crashes.  Is there any way to disable the dynamic lighting for that map? To answer my own question, using Firefox allowed me to load the game, and from there I disabled dynamic lighting on the very large map, so it is working now.  Given that, I think two things are worth noting: 1.)  Dynamic lighting greatly increases the memory requirements for a map, so beware!  Some tools for altering the dynamic lighting settings of a map without actually loading the game would be really helpful. 2.)  I love dynamic lighting!  The effect is outstanding, and I can't wait to try it out in our upcoming game.
Miscillo said: Hi.  I just converted my game to the new updated dyncamic light that I used before. Now I have massive problem regarding light. I made some screenshot.  ..... The map is the 2° level of the module of the Dungeon of The Mad Mage. In addition to this problem, I have some enemy tokens with strange shapes of light (even much stranger than this) and the light token on the lighting level are totally wrong. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a broken feature? You're not doing anything wrong; it's broken.  These issues have been reported multiple times in this thread.  So far, I have yet to see them be acknowledged by Roll20 staff, let alone any attempt to address them in a release.
Although listed as fixed, I am still seeing issues with players with night vision being able to see through dynamic lighting barriers into areas that they havent been to when explorer mode is on when control-L mode is enabled. Additionally, when tinting is enabled, if multiple night vision players are in the same area, the tint effect is cumulative which can result in complete black out of areas.  Sharpen also causes graphics to have issues if tinting is used with multiple night vision players.  Not a big issue if one player has control of one PC, but if in GM mode or a player controls multiple characters it can cause a problem.
If you are having the problem with the cone line of sight despite not having it enabled, I found a simple work around with obvious draw backs. If you set the player token to emit light while still maintaining their ability to see, it allows them to see in a circle once more. What you were trying to do: As for me, my current run of CoS is suffering from these effects as well. Instead of having sight around the entire player, it instead is a cone , unless they have the option of emitting light used. Turning them into walking torches is kinda funny, not gonna lie. What happened: Same as those above me. Steps to Reproduce: Map settings Two tokens for example. The only difference being the Amber golem (Left), the "Has sight" box is ticked on under the Advanced tab. Toggling it fixes it until one views anything other than the game page. Tabbing out or minimizing resumes the cone shape. Refreshing still has the golem viewing a cone regardless of if the aforementioned sight box is ticked. Browser &amp; OS info: Mozilla firefox 79.0 (64-bit), Windows 10 Home Is WebGL supported by your browser? Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/8049621/vampires-n-shit" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/8049621/vampires-n-shit</a> Game Settings Other then Dynamic Lighting being used itself? No. Map Settings Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Yes Were you using Daylight Mode or not? Off Token Settings See the above screen shots. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: On Hope this helps :3
For those like me suffering from the crazy "cone sight" bug for your PC tokens with night vision, does anyone else observe the following: - after loading the game, if you make a change to the PC token that deals with sight, even something slight such as vision range or toggling on and off night vision, and click save, the token vision goes back to normal when you "CTRL L" the token; BUT -&nbsp; the player controlling the token still suffers from the cone vision on his or her screen, despite the fact that the "CTRL L" function is showing the DM that night vision is now working properly. In other words, for some reason the cone vision bug is resolved by making a change to the token's night vision settings on the DM side, but it does not resolve the issue for the player, meaning CTRL L is also malfunctioning.
Dalamar, that is my experience as well.&nbsp; I can force the light cone to go away on the DM side but it remains on the player side.
I am having the Cone-shaped lightning bug as well, same as the one described above.
Since the new dynamic lighting update i have had all sorts of issues with lighting, which is beyond frustrating to say the least (i am trying not to swear) as I have just mapped all of Castle Ravenloft and all of the maps are failing. This equates to around 30 hours of development time. Issues are as follows: 1. I want my characters to have 360 degree vision, I dont agree with a principle of treating the pc's like horses with blinkers on, we have necks that allow our heads to swivel - However on most of the levels (not all) the characters are reduced to a tiny sliver of vision and i cant get any of my characters to have 360 degree vision. 2. The explorable light wont reset, meaning that all my maps are now in grey relief - rendering them unusable. Does anyone have the same issues? Also despite raising a ticket around a month I have heard zilch from Roll 20 which i think is pretty poor from a customer service point of view, even a reply that said "we recognise that there are issues with dynamic lighting and are working on a fix" would have been a courtesy. The whole thing feels like a mess at the moment, are other people experiencing problems?&nbsp;
Exact Same issue. I can fix it for me but my players are still seeing the weird cone.
Dido same cone issues.&nbsp; Fix as DM but players can not.
Hi guys, I think I've found a fix for the wierd FoV bug. I had the same issue on a pre-built map (lots of dynamic lighting lines and light tokens, etc) that had been switched over to UDL automatically, on other maps with no lines the token FoV was fine. So, to fix the bug I went into the lighting layer, selected everything (Ctrl-a), Copy everything to cache, delete everything, then paste everything back in and reposition. FoV and everything are perfect now!
Hi everyone! Two announcements for folks- First, we have issued a hotfix which should resolve the issues where saving and updating Field of Vision settings would cause other tokens on the page to inherit the same settings. Please keep us posted on how the fix works for all of you! Second, as many of you are aware, we have been working with Updated Dynamic Lighting for quite some time and announced previously that we have officially hit feature parity between Updated and Legacy Dynamic Lighting . This announcement for the sunsetting of Legacy Dynamic Lighting does not mean a halt to development of Updated Dynamic Lighting. We are aware there are bugs still present and more improvements to be made; these next two months are dedicated to providing polish, performance improvements, and addressing bugs. However, to differentiate this move to the sunset period, this thread is being closed and a brand new thread has been created for additional feedback and bug reporting, as seen here . We apologize that we have not responded as often as when the thread started, but nonetheless we have been hard at work reproducing the issues and reaching out to users to ensure that we are completely caught up. Please continue to report any bugs you find in the new thread and let us know if we may have missed anything!