Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A New Light - Bug Thread - Updated Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War

Turned the updated dynamic lighting and explorer mode back on last night for our campaign and performance was actually really good. Not sure when and what you did to address it but thank you for making it a feature we could at least test out. We didn't see any lag or hicups with performance. We did see some small glitches but the ones we saw have already been reported here.  Thank you
Im getting tokens to reveal their full range of vision, regardless of walls. With vision on and 15 ft brightlight 15ft low light. It happens randomly when the map has an update, like new tokens or pieces move.
I've also had the issue of the whole map being revealed. For me it happened when the Game Master moved around a player token and that player got full vision of the map. 
Patrik said: I've also had the issue of the whole map being revealed. For me it happened when the Game Master moved around a player token and that player got full vision of the map.  I noticed the same thing, but didn't do much further testing. Only seemed to happen when the players were logged in.
My players are losing their "Sight" with the Legacy.  In order to get it back, I have to turn on the new version, turn it back off, then set their token sight over again.  Frustrating. Additionally, the lag for opening characters and just doing regular every day stuff has gotten miserably slow.  It is impacting our ability to play--so much I've considered trying out a new tool.
Faight said: My players are losing their "Sight" with the Legacy.  In order to get it back, I have to turn on the new version, turn it back off, then set their token sight over again.  Frustrating. Additionally, the lag for opening characters and just doing regular every day stuff has gotten miserably slow.  It is impacting our ability to play--so much I've considered trying out a new tool. I can't get their sight to work on Legacy even trying your method. We should be refunded our subscriptions since we are not getting what we paid for.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I cannot reproduce this loss of sight on legacy. Are you verifying that default tokens have been saved in the proper order?

Edited 1588809570
EDIT: I just realised that my "Why? If I wanted a dim light I would put it in" sounds bitchy. I apologize, it's the thought process I went through at the time without thinking about how crappy it sounded out loud.
is there a way to ensure that lighting only takes affect on drop of token with the new updated dynamic lighting? unless I, as DM, play operation with moving my players' tokens around, they can see through my entire map if i touch a wall with their token.
Since the lighting gives players vision even when they just drag their token around. for funky walls like this i had to 'reinforce' the walls like crazy, otherwise they see through my map
I have seen two specific issues acquiring in my games: 1. When I enable fog of war and restrict movements my players sometimes can't move into areas that once had fog of war but are currently reviled to them. This only happens like 10% of the time and is fixed as soon as I as a GM move them past that border but is still annoying. (and if they want to move back the same thing happens again) 2. Sometimes when I turn on fog of war and think i have hidden an area players still see everything. (happens only very rarely)
Cntrl - L doesn't work for me all?
keithcurtis said: I cannot reproduce this loss of sight on legacy. Are you verifying that default tokens have been saved in the proper order? Keith, I don't know what you mean by "saved in the proper order". I have toggled vision on and off for the tokens and nothing seems to fix their vision.
Nicholas said: Hey James N. -  For your report here , we wanted to check in to see if you were still experiencing the first issue you reported - the issue with explorer mode not showing you Token movement? Unfortunately, we've been unable to replicate it so far. For the 2nd bug you mentioned (grey visual issue with explorer mode), we have this logged and we're working on getting it fixed. Thanks for all your help and patience here. The first time I tried it happened.  But after I toggled Explorer mode off and back on again today I haven't been able to make it fail since.  Although I did find A LOT of other oddities if I had Explorer mode enabled on my test map with the (grey visual issue with explorer mode), but once I disable Explorer mode there, it seems that my actual play maps are working correctly again.
Aetis
Pro
Sheet Author
If they had three brightness levels, highest one for bright light, then shadowy lit areas, then darkvision zones, that would be perfect.
George R. said: is there a way to ensure that lighting only takes affect on drop of token with the new updated dynamic lighting? unless I, as DM, play operation with moving my players' tokens around, they can see through my entire map if i touch a wall with their token. Hi George, this is not yet implemented as you can see in the opening post. Findulas
Stefan S. said: EDIT: I just realised that my "Why? If I wanted a dim light I would put it in" sounds bitchy. I apologize, it's the thought process I went through at the time without thinking about how crappy it sounded out loud. Stefan Based on listening to the devs talk about this new dynamic lighting during last months roundup, I think the photo you show is how they want the system to work. The narrow fade at the edge of the light source is to differentiate to a player the difference between a lit area and darkvision. Based on what was said, the goal is to eventually make the darkvision apperance a GM editable item (Green/black for nightvision goggles, grey tint for fantasy black and white darkvision, etc). 
Stefan Based on listening to the devs talk about this new dynamic lighting during last months roundup, I think the photo you show is how they want the system to work. The narrow fade at the edge of the light source is to differentiate to a player the difference between a lit area and darkvision. Based on what was said, the goal is to eventually make the darkvision apperance a GM editable item (Green/black for nightvision goggles, grey tint for fantasy black and white darkvision, etc).  This doesnt make sense to me.  I added a torch to add light to a dark tunnel, but when the token with the night vision (elf with darkvision) gets to it, it actually looks darker then what they could see without the torch.... The torch (or other token carrying a lantern) actually makes the tunnel look darker.  Works awesome for the tokens without darkvision thou.

Edited 1588949600
So, am I right when I say :  - An elf with darkvision see as it was daylight in all his view range ? There is no "view declination" for him to see "in darkness as if it were dim light"... But it's on the todo list, right ?  - There is no possibility to put the option "refresh the view only when the token is dropped and not all along its displacements" ? (I think it's an easy for a player to visit an entire map without the GM noticing, because as long as the token is dragged and the mouse left click not released, the GM doesn't know where the token is). Honestly, for me it's big regressions compared to the former dynamic lighting... It really needs to be fixed soon I think. (I hope I'm clear enough, english is not my first language, sorry about that) Kar, from France, new pro subscriber.
Hello everyone, I hope you are well. I would just like to know if the new system if finally fixed and efficient ? Thanks
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Al, No, there will likely be a big announcement when it is. It is currently still in development.

Edited 1588949239
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nathan K. said: keithcurtis said: I cannot reproduce this loss of sight on legacy. Are you verifying that default tokens have been saved in the proper order? Keith, I don't know what you mean by "saved in the proper order". I have toggled vision on and off for the tokens and nothing seems to fix their vision. The post you quoted indicated that they have to continually re-edit their tokens to set the lighting. This is usually indicative of setting a default token and then adjusting the lighting. It needs to be the other way around. Setting the default has to be the last step. The default token is the state the token was in when it was last set as default. Anything done after that is an adjustment to that singular token, not the default. If this is not your issue, can you give some reproduction steps to follow? I don't use AFoW or UDL, but am a strong user of Legacy Dynamic Lighting.
Is there a step by step instructions for  Dynamic lighting  (or whatever the new designation is? now I hope I can explain what is occurring accurately (and fully admit these could very well be user error NOT programming errors: I am doing my best to ensure only one system is being used ( either FoW or DL)  but  when going back to the map settings it seems like I have to start brand new ( all settings are turned off ) . And is there a way to have a map grayed out NOT blacked out for my players? : 
I have just - turned off vision for the PC token - turned off Legacy Dynamic Lighting - Turned Legacy Dynamic lighting back on, then turned on vision and darkvision 60 ft. for the token and it still sees nothing.

Edited 1588981914
Hey so I just finished a huge project so my group could play tonight. I turn on Dynamic Lighting and it crashes my game on Launch. Just completely freezes it. I would just turn it off and move on but now I cannot even get into the game to turn it off. Is there anyway to disable Dynamic Lighting without loading into the game? I am running Chrome and I tried the Canvas trick. This really sucks. I didn't know there was a "Feature" in game that would just straight up break it and ruin my work. Is there a way to just copy the content from that campaign over to a different one? All the maps and tokens, etc.?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Bret, Are you using Legacy DL or UDL? UDL is not ready yet. Legacy should work fine. Are you using Advanced Fog of War? More info might help troubleshoot.

Edited 1588983186
Hey Keith. Unfortunately I am a bit of a noob and I am unable to launch it and see exactly which it is. I can tell you that I clicked on the page icon at the top of the screen. Went to the settings wheel beside the the page. From there I checked the box for Dynamic Lighting and Explorer mode. I had no tokens on the map at this point and it put a gray shade to the whole map. I then put in the tokens that would be the characters and gave them 60ft vision and 60ft bright light. It was at this point that the game crashed and I have been unable to load back in and turn it off. For the record, I'm not looking for a fix. I have since read these forums and realize this is some sort of larger issue. If I can simply turn off these options I can salvage the game night with my friends. Edit: Through a series of launching the game and attempting to click everything so that UDL was turned off before my computer froze I have finally been successful. It took about 15 computer freezes and restarts but Hallelujah. Keith, Thanks for responding and trying to help out. And a big thank you if you helped remotely somehow. Don't lose your weekend or your night over me. I should be fine now.
I think I am having the same issue as David K.   I was using the Old DL and it was working great.  Drunk with power I started to play with the new DL.  things went sideways so I decided to retreat to the cave of Old DL.  Now I get nothing but a black screen when I ctrl L. I have turned off New DL. Turned on Old DL. updated the token removed the token from the character sheet added updated token back to character sheet.   Please advise as I have a game in a day and my players and I love DL. Thanks for all you do. Bryan
Dave K. said: Cntrl - L doesn't work for me all? It does not work correctly for me either. It shows me the full map as if it has been fully explored with the room with the tokenlit up. It does this even if the token has not been moved at all, just reveals the full map in explorer mode.
I have had a problem on 2 maps in the Phandelver module where a portion of the map no where near the character token, and behind several walls, is lit with the character's light (or global illumination). Seems to happen in a sliver around the middle left. Also zooming in removes the incorrectly lighted area while zooming out expands it.

Edited 1589014676
Pixel Dust Effect - Some information What you were trying to do: Enable Night Vision on several characters What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) The Pixel Dust mentioned in the top post started to appear. This seems to move with the individual token and appears to be a big X shape of single pixels centred around the character. So far, I can only replicate this with night vision (does not seem to happen with emitted light). Each "x" shape seems to follow a specific token, so it updates in real time and follows as you drag the token around. Steps to Reproduce: Select a token, turn vision on, turn night vision on 60ft Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome, Windows 10 Is WebGL supported by your browser? Platform: Win32 Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.138 Safari/537.36 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium) Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0 Chromium) Vendor: WebKit Renderer: WebKit WebGL Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0) Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: Yes, D3D9 Major Performance Caveat: No Vertex Shader Max Vertex Attributes: 16 Max Vertex Uniform Vectors: 4095 Max Vertex Texture Image Units: 16 Max Varying Vectors: 30 Best float precision: [-2127, 2127] (23) Transform Feedback Coming in WebGL 2 Rasterizer Aliased Line Width Range: [1, 1] Aliased Point Size Range: [1, 1024] Fragment Shader Max Fragment Uniform Vectors: 1024 Max Texture Image Units: 16 float/int precision: highp/highp Best float precision: [-2127, 2127] (23) Framebuffer Max Color Buffers: 8 RGBA Bits: [8, 8, 8, 8] Depth / Stencil Bits: [24, 8] Max Render Buffer Size: 16384 Max Viewport Dimensions: [32767, 32767] Textures Max Texture Size: 16384 Max Cube Map Texture Size: 16384 Max Combined Texture Image Units: 32 Max Anisotropy: 16 Uniform Buffers Coming in WebGL 2 Supported Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic WEBKIT_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_sRGB KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_element_index_uint OES_fbo_render_mipmap OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBKIT_WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context WEBKIT_WEBGL_lose_context Game Link: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5964509/wrath-of-the-righteous-pf-group" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5964509/wrath-of-the-righteous-pf-group</a> Game Settings Went from legacy DL to UDL. Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? No Were you using Daylight Mode or not? No, though it might have been on in legacy beforehand. Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? Nightvision Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: On Speedtest Results Upload, Download, and Ping values. Ping 5 Download 45.78Mbps upload 18.22Mbps

Edited 1589031005
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Bryan W. said: I think I am having the same issue as David K.&nbsp;&nbsp; I was using the Old DL and it was working great.&nbsp; Drunk with power I started to play with the new DL.&nbsp; things went sideways so I decided to retreat to the cave of Old DL.&nbsp; Now I get nothing but a black screen when I ctrl L. I have turned off New DL. Turned on Old DL. updated the token removed the token from the character sheet added updated token back to character sheet.&nbsp;&nbsp; Please advise as I have a game in a day and my players and I love DL. Thanks for all you do. Bryan Two things: Check if you have (regular)&nbsp;Fog of War active. If so, you need to either turn it off, or use the reveal tool in your toolbar to reveal some areas. The default is to obscure the entire map, and specifically reveal what you wish players to see. If you activate that option and don't clear any areas, the map will be black. Try resetting the Fog of War (again, available from the toolbar). This should only be necessary if you are using Advanced Fog of War. It will reset all areas previously revealed to characters, though.It will also re-obscure areas revealed by (regular) Fog of War.
Following up from my previous post: It seems that there is some inconsistency with CTRL-L command and what the players actually see, causing me to think that lighting was broken for some time until I had someone test it with me. The CTRL-L function tells me that players can see more than what they actually can in player mode: Player Vision: CTRL-L&nbsp; GM Vision:

Edited 1589063898
So only a few of my tokens even have access to the new advanced lighting tab. Why is it not available to all tokens or none of them. It seems really inconsistent at the moment.
Is the token on a page with Dynamic Lighting enabled?

Edited 1589099973
If Explorer mode is turned on ANY player (or GM logged in as a player) that selects their token and presses CTRL+L will reveal the whole map. This is unacceptable and could be abused by players wanting to reveal the whole map to themselves. What you were trying to do: Turn on explorer mode What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) While in "Player Mode" or another player is logged in (friend not in campaign) and explorer mode is turned on any player can press CTRL+L to reveal the whole map albeit greyed out. It essentially gives a PC "god mode" for revealing maps. CTRL+L should be disabled for non GM players. Steps to Reproduce: Turn on explorer mode, have any player or GM logged in as a player press CTRL+L while their token is selected. Any remaining unexplored areas will be revealed to them. Browser &amp; OS info: Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) Game Settings Was anything changed from default? Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Yes Were you using Daylight Mode or not? No Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? bright light: No low light: No night vision: yes regular vision: na Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Yes
Craig S. said: Thanks keithcurtis.&nbsp; It is happening to me all the time now, though.&nbsp; Not time to time.&nbsp; I have another map where it has happened 3 times, that I just did today.&nbsp; Drawing a selection box does not help at all, regardless of whether I press Alt.&nbsp; I have just realized that it only happens to me with vertical lines though.&nbsp; Horizontal and diagonal lines are not causing a problem.&nbsp; Don't know if that will help them debug it.&nbsp; Have you tried zooming in on the line you want to select?
&gt;New dynamic lightning with explorer mode enabled. &gt;Player zooms out, sees half the map. &gt;Players move their tokens --&gt; Every player goes to the shadow realm. I mean I'm subscribing for pro and purchase a campaign and then half the secrets get spoiled by this.

Edited 1589148702
So far the new lightning is very nice and easy to use. it's missing the "dim" feature but I have encountered a very bad bug with it. pretty sure this has probably been reported already but it happened a lot during my game today with my party going through a dungeon. it also happens when I'm designing the map and moving tokens or objects arouond and placing them. The new dynamic lightning has a bug where it will show the whole map to all the members or to some only. it usually appears in rings with very weird shadows expanding in rings and it spoiled the whole dungeon for my party today. they're being good sport about it and not metagaming but it was a blow to have some of the cool end-dungeon rooms spoiled right at the start. It happenes when placing a new token, or when players move their tokens. some of them have night visions others don't. others emit light. Can't really tell what triggers it but it seems to happen when i put a new token into the map or just them they move around exploring. There was also a point where I could see the bug active, a massive ring of light from one of the players and I asked if the bug was active again and they all said they couldn't see. I checked each with Ctrl+L and their sight was fine except one of them. she still said she couldn't see the big bypassing ring. I could see it though. Eventually they moved and the bug happened 30 mins after on another room EDIT: also in chrome one player couldn't see the map at all when he changed browser tabs....it would become all black and he had to reload or switch to firefox eventually

Edited 1589149487
Bug in chrome when try to put night vision in a token and there is a light in other point of the map. All players and GM using chrome, all had the same bad behaviour. In past weeks we had not this issue
Now experiencing this bug with UDL while creating/copying a bright light token. Happens sporadically when creating or copying light sources, length does not matter, I used the dim light to highlight the issue. Happens on both Firefox and Chrome, both updated.

Edited 1589217246
I have a player who is only seeing his token on a wall of black while my 3 other players can see everything great with the new dynamic lighting. This is a new campaign and we haven't dealt with the legacy DL yet. He's not very tech savvy, so getting images and his specs has been very limited. Whenever he's sent me an image it's just his token on a black. He can move it, but he can't see where he can move it. Anybody else run into this? He's using Safari, but has yet to tell me what version. Edit:&nbsp;&nbsp; And by going back one additional page I found out the new Dynamic Lighting is not support in Safari.

Edited 1589225107
What i am trying to do: Just activate the lighting and zoom. I am not using browserzoom, just basic zoom and the lighting does this! Theres some kind of big black bar and the lighting only works in that part. everything else is revealed. It works if i zoom in a lot closer, but break when i zoom out again. Edit: The culprit is Explorermode it seems. If i turn that off, it is fine.

Edited 1589275789
What you were trying to do: Use new dynamic lighting What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Player view: GM View Steps to Reproduce: Created as new map 50 x 26 tiles. Activated New Dynamic Lighting and Explorer Mode. Put three PCs into the Map. Set one of them to Vision and Emits Light. EDIT: if I turn off Explorer Mode, it seems to work fine Browser &amp; OS info: MS Edge. Windows 10 Is WebGL supported by your browser? Please visit&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;and copy/paste the WebGL1 report from there. This browser supports WebGL 1 Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6692653/call-of-cthulhu-having-a-wee-break" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6692653/call-of-cthulhu-having-a-wee-break</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default? No Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated? Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not? Yes, as above Were you using Daylight Mode or not? No Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) As above. One PC token set to 10' bright light, 10' low light, with no night vision and only regular vision Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: N/A Speedtest Results PING ms 22 &nbsp;DOWNLOAD Mbps&nbsp; 26.54 &nbsp;UPLOAD Mbps&nbsp; 42.22
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Julian V. said: What i am trying to do: Just activate the lighting and zoom. I am not using browserzoom, just basic zoom and the lighting does this! Theres some kind of big black bar and the lighting only works in that part. everything else is revealed. It works if i zoom in a lot closer, but break when i zoom out again. Edit: The culprit is Explorermode it seems. If i turn that off, it is fine. Hey Julian, This looks like one of the known issues we have with Macs using external monitors. Can you confirm that you're using a Mac with an external monitor?
Hello ! Cant wait to have a great new light system ;) After the morning patch , is the new system is repaired now ?

Edited 1589313638
Just tested the new Dynamic Lighting after this morning's announced update. This is my Hell's Rebels campaign with the Crackdown map. I'm seeing weird graphic errors when Explorer mode is enabled and zoomed &lt;75%. I'm logged in as GM, and using Ctrl+L to view what the token (dragon) sees. The graphic corrects itself if I zoom in closer than 75%. I'm using Windows 10 (1909) with Firefox (76.0.1 [64-bit]). Thank you.

Edited 1589382849
I am having serious issues with the 'emits light' portion of both Dynamic Lighting and Updated Dynamic Lighting. My characters are not seeing any light except what they themselves emit (darkvision/or emits light). I have placed a light source on the map that emits 100ft of light. I am testing with a token with no light source and no darkvision and the entire map is dark for them. &nbsp; &nbsp;light source selected and Ctrl-L &nbsp;Human Barbarian selected and Ctrl-L I log in as a player and see the same darkness, so have tried that. I am running in Chrome on Windows 10 and all of this was working fine this past Saturday. I do know about switching between new and old dynamic lighting and have tried every configuration I can.&nbsp; As an aside, the light tile is set to 100ft but only illuminates 75ft, though this is not really a problem for my current campaign.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ctrl L does not reliably show light sources other than those emitted by the player. Test with a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;to be absolutely sure.