Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A New Light - Bug Thread - Updated Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War

What you were trying to do: I was attempting to set up the new lighting system for my game. I made sure it was turned on and set the vision for all the characters tokens. What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Some characters, occasionally, have the ability to see the entire map as if it has been explored already (Using explorer's mode). I was using ctrl+L to check their vision and had one character token that could see everything, I tried a few things and eventually close everything and came back to it later, in which case it ended up being a different character that could now do it. I turned off Explorer Mode and it fixed itself, but if I turn it back on the bug persists. The image above is with Explorer Mode off, and it displaying how it should be as I just got Roll20 pro and haven't moved their tokens much since turning on the new dynamic lighting. The image above is when Explorer's mode is turned back on. I didn't zoom out, but I assure it it's every inch of the map that they have revealed. Steps to Reproduce: I closed browser and reopened and the problem would occasionally jump to a different token or be on more than one token. The problem is pretty consistent, though I'm not sure of the exact steps I took to reproduce it, it just happens. Browser &amp; OS info: I am on Windows 10 Pro version 1909 and use Google Chrome. Is WebGL supported by your browser? ✓ This browser supports WebGL 1 Game Link: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5340617/aqoria" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/5340617/aqoria</a> Game Settings 5e default Map Settings Updated dynamic lighting The issue came up when Explorer Mode was on, and did not occur when it was turned off, but I would like to use that mode. Daylight Mode was not on. Token Settings Two tokens who have night vision have experienced this issue, as well as a token with regular vision but emitting torchlight. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Off.
I had a little pet peeve with new dynamic light because someone with night vision sees everything as if it was bright light. But last session I noted that there was a Tint option and now I could add a little grey to the night vision of my characters. Chef kiss. But there is a problem. I, as DM, can see their grey area as well and it kinda blocks, for instance, things in the DM layer or if I put my mouse on a character on the turn tracker and he is inside the grey area, I can't see the highlight. Minor complaints but I hope they find a workaround because it is quite a neat mechanic.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hello there! Yesterday we released work that brings to our goal of "feature parity" - meaning Updated Dynamic Lighting now has all the features of the legacy system. Last week, we added rectangles, but now you can hide and reveal with the Polygon tool. Users had thoughts on the Sharpen effect for Night Vision, the Sharpen effect is now optional and off by default. GM's can now see light sources on the screen with or without a tokens. Using CTRL-L still allows you to see a view from that token's perspective Between yesterday and today we've fixed three problems Some users were not seeing tokens move Daylight Mode was extra &nbsp;- also reported earlier by&nbsp; TAVelcro &nbsp;and&nbsp;Jo Some users had darkness until they clicked Added features Along with the features you're used to, we've been adding features as well. Most of these are ways we've seen you all extend what we built. This week: We have added a Permanent Darkness option for Updated Dynamic Lighting. The Hide/Reveal tool has options for Explorable Darkness or Permanent Darkness. Explorable Darkness will be revealed when a Token with Light and Vision. Permanent Darkness will stay hidden regardless of Token movement. While that's the one new feature in the most recent release, we've been making continual improvements to the design and features of Updated Dynamic Lighting. The problem is now you need to meticulously transfer the settings for every page and token. Woof. So, Pro Subscribers are testing a way to easily convert legacy settings . Pros - please - hop over and let us know how it goes.
I was having the problem with Explorer Mode of one out of four player tokens having complete vision of the map layer through dynamic lighting walls . Checking each of them with Ctrl-L, all of the others worked as expected, but one had a greyscale version of the whole map layer from the beginning. I set about making all of that token and character's settings match the ones that were working, and the problem went away when I removed a second player's control of the character sheet. It was the only token controlled by two players, rather than just one or "All Players", and the vision started working as expected as soon as I changed it.

Edited 1596251013
At first glance, "Permanent Darkness" seemed like a good way to handle the 5e Darkness spell. Except a token inside Permanent Darkness can see everything around the area of darkness.... From the announcement: " Permanent Darkness can’t be pierced by night vision or by light sources." Except it can, you can see straight through it to the other side... Also, map loading times are WAAAAAAAYYYYYY longer with Dynamic Lighting enabled. Even on fairly simple maps....

Edited 1596251178
There is literally no way to clear areas of "Permanent Darkness". Reveal areas doesn't clear it, drawing over it with Explorable Darkness doesn't clear it. Resetting darkness doesn't clear it. One error and you have to copy everything to a whole new map.... Correction : The blog post doesn't mention it, but you need to select Permanent Darkness and then "reveal" it. Tooltips or complete information would be useful!!
Night vision 60' for these two oversized tokens of elven infantry and archers. It's as if I have the limit vision angle feature was on, but it's off, and I checked that it would only have 0 anyway if limit vision *was* on. I turned the right-most token of the archers and saw that the pie slice of vision it has shifted with the turning of the token. They're only able to see half of a fire giant that's 10' in front of the infantry and cannot see the second fire giant inside the main door (even though they should just barely see inside the doors). MacBook Pro (Mohave 10.14.6), Chrome browser&nbsp;84.0.4147.105 Explorer mode on Moving tokens around didn't help. Turning on the tokens' capacity to Emit LIght works fine, but why not Night Vision?
Ralph
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The UDL (even with the latest update) doesn't work for players if the scale down the map lower than 50% (it looks fine for the GM). Explorer Mode has an even harder time rendering correctly. As soon as these things are not fixed, please don't switch off what you call legacy!
The new blog post says " Users can set a center for their field of vision range." What does this mean? I cannot find any such option as a user. Incidentally I'm getting the same issues as Dr. Belz above on a Macbook Pro with Chrome. Can't see properly with darkvision on, there's just a weird shape instead. I was wondering whether it was something in my field of vision setting since it was mentioned but I'm unsure how to tell (our GM has no idea what's wrong either).

Edited 1596290394
Justin M. said: Like others said I only a cone of darkvision instead of the 360° Nothing I tried fixed it. My players are also getting the exact same glitch, although the recent update seems to have fixed it for non-player tokens, or atleast as far as i can tell. Very odd Indeed. (This is specifically with dark vision).
at some point will the old dynamic lighting feature disappear? I really don't like the new system and prefer to keep using the original for my game, which has been on going for 6 plus years. It is simple and easy to use.&nbsp;
Hey Rag, In regards to your post here , we were not able to recreate the issue on our end. Did you have/do you have Restrict Movement enabled? Also, could you provide me with a link to your game and the exact UDL settings on the token that was had complete sight?&nbsp;
Hey Dr. Belz, In regards to this post , could you provide us with a link to your game in question and the name of this particular page?
Tokens from GM layer dissapear when I turn on Advanced Lightning: 1. I'm using latest Google Chrome with no extensions 2. I've tried emptying the browser cache 3. Dynamic lightning is OFF, tokens are visible: 3. 4. Dynamic lightning is ON, tokens dissapear:
Hey Ralph, Your post here describes a known issue. Our team is aware and is working toward a solution for it. Thanks for checking in! :)
Hi all! I've been an avid user of updated dynamic lighting, but a glitch has recently surfaced that's making me move my game over to legacy dynamic lighting. Here are the lighting settings for an example I'm going to show. I am my game's gm. Here is what the game looks like at this particular amount of zoom. It looks exactly as it should. (Ignore the background, this is a menu for my players) Zooming out, however, distorts the night vision view. In addition, there appears to be a bizarre "double vision" effect. Within dimly lit areas, there's a dimmer copy of everything seen, slightly beside the original. At further zooms, the issue is exacerbated even more. I will be switching over to Legacy Dynamic Lighting until this is fixed, as it renders the system unusable for me. Let me know if I need to provide any additional details.
Came back because of the push notification that UDL was fixed. Here's what my players see after just a few minutes on a brand new map:
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Adam said: Came back because of the push notification that UDL was fixed. Here's what my players see after just a few minutes on a brand new map: Technically, Roll20 said they reached feature parity. Roll20 did not say it was fixed as far as I can tell. I have seen this issue when zooming out with Explorer Mode on. The known issues say it is only happening when the browser is zoomed out, but I have encountered it when using the VTT zoom as well.
Hello! I noticed an interesting issue with the new update to UDL, where if night vision is turned on for a token, the token with night vision and every other token in its' night vision area is reduced in picture quality. Like it's rendered at a lower quality due to the light or something. The first example is without any of the tokens having night vision turned on. They are standing in an area with bright light (daylight is turned off) : Here they are standing in darkness, with the left token having night vision on, with sharpen effect turned off. The tint is transparent: And this is with the sharpen effect on: I haven't run into this issue before the update. Any ideas?
Dear Devs, I disagree with your announcement that UDL is at parity with LDL because I find this statement false; Night Vision does not allow for Low Light at the moment and appears the same as Bright Light.&nbsp; &nbsp;Fixed June 30 A token with night vision still sees everything as bright light. Granted, with LDL, you have to set the dim light radius to a negative number, but there is no way to do this with UDL night vision. I really love where UDL is going and am excited to switch over and incorporate the tints and stuff, but this is a deal breaker. And could someone explain the purpose of the sharpen effect as it only seems to causes issues with image quality and detail loss.
Yeah, I thought the "sharpen" effect was a bug that needed to be fixed, but now it's a feature? Is there anyone who has a use case for the Sharpen feature? What was the design intent behind it?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
For some systems, vision that penetrate darkness can see shape and texture but no fine details (can't read, differentiate colors, etc.), so it might be for that.&nbsp; That is the only thing I can think of though.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Sharpen effect was added as a way to make the difference between the Night Vision and Vision more clear. There were two features added there: Night VIsion Tint Color (with any color or transparent) and the Sharpen Effect. Sharpen had some fans, but the sentiment we saw most common was that "Sharpen made graphics look bad," which is true, so we made it completely optional. Night Vision no longer appears the same as Bright Light because of the tint choice. Which is why the known issue was marked as resolved.&nbsp;
I'm somewhat worried about declarations of "parity" when I cannot use the Updated Dynamic Lighting without major issues. I'm running a game of "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" and looking into the browser task manager when using the old dynamic lighting, the GPU process will be using somewhere between 1 and 2gb of RAM and run fine. Turning on Updated Dynamic Lighting, this immediately spikes to over 6gb and as things move around this increases (especially if explorer mode is on). If this spikes above 8gb (which doesn't take long to happen), the GPU process will crash breaking all the lighting until I reload (which will at this point take a long time). This makes Updated Dynamic Lighting useless for our purposes. So I'm now concerned that the legacy dynamic lighting (which causes often causes lag issues for my players if we use the advanced fog of war) is going to be retired with the Updated system still unusable.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kenton said: The Sharpen effect was added as a way to make the difference between the Night Vision and Vision more clear. There were two features added there: Night VIsion Tint Color (with any color or transparent) and the Sharpen Effect. Sharpen had some fans, but the sentiment we saw most common was that "Sharpen made graphics look bad," which is true, so we made it completely optional. Night Vision no longer appears the same as Bright Light because of the tint choice. Which is why the known issue was marked as resolved.&nbsp; Note: I know Roll20 supports more than D&amp;D 5e, but 5e is over 50% of what happens on Roll20 . For 5e, UDL's Night Vision provides a functionally worse experience than the equivalent settings in LDL.&nbsp; Darkvision in 5e &nbsp;allows creatures to see black and white in darkness and in dim light as if it were bright light. LDL did not give black and white (and neither does UDL), but the dim light from setting Emits Light to 60/0 was the next best thing. Light mixed properly, and a token's dim light would mix with another dim light source to create bright light. This was replaced by a distortion effect that still distorts more subtly even if it is turned off . With tinting, Night Vision makes light (bright or dim) it overlaps&nbsp; darker , and two tokens with black tinting (the closest color to replicating LDL's darkvision) will completely obscure the map where they overlap. For 5e, UDL's Night Vision needs to create light . A distortion effect does not really help 5e. Making things darker does not help 5e. LDL works pretty well for 5e's darkvision, but UDL has taken a big step backward. A user's options are bright light (good for a warlock with Devil's Sight), bright light with a darkened tint, or visual distortion. 5e needs UDL Night Vision to offer both bright light and dim light. It could do this by duplicating the Emits Light portion of the token's settings by offering both a bright light distance and a dim light distance. Most people will not use both at the same time. Most players with darkvision need just the dim setting. Some warlocks need just the bright light setting. Maybe there is a use case in some game system for both. On a slightly different topic that is highly related to Night Vision and its tinting: From one of your posts in the suggestions forum , it appears like you are thinking of having Night Vision's tinting inspire the implementation for colored lighting. Lighting uses additive color mixing where the mixed colors are lighter. Mixing physical substances like paint uses subtractive color mixing, where colors get darker. <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_mixing#:~:text=When%20the%20red%20and%20green,a%20wide%20range%20of%20colors" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_mixing#:~:text=When%20the%20red%20and%20green,a%20wide%20range%20of%20colors</a>. The light sources should be using additive color mixing, but Night Vision's tinting is using subtractive color mixing instead.
Thanks for the explanation, Kenton!
I wanted to test the UDL system and created a small map, 11x9. I immediately had problems with explorer mode, it either doesn't work or reveals the whole map. The light multiplier had no effect on any of the lights I laid out. The sharpen effect on nightvision is completely useless to anyone who works on visual aesthetics. There are grains in the lighting effect between bright light and low light. I found all of this in about 10 to 15 minutes of testing it out. Please don't claim complete parity. I would like if this was all working and I hope that you do reach complete parity, but legacy is still superior in function as it actually functions. There is a fear that stating you're at complete parity is a precursor to eliminating the legacy lighting system that is still working better than the UDL.
I'm using UDL, and it works fine on some maps and not others. On this one, there is seemingly a "ghost" lighting source to the left of the usable map (i.e., in an area where I cannot see or delete this light source, you can see where the shadows "point"). Some of the resulting tree shadows show up, others do not. (The tree trunks are marked with an X on the dynamic lighting layer.) There is also an "end of the world" area on the right side, where everything is in darkness. When we zoom in, we can see that many lighting features are broken. The windows (like the one selected below) should (and used to) emit light, but no longer do. There are also various strange light artifacts (two in room C7, two or three in room C8). (The bright green lines are my dynamic lighting polylines.) Any idea why this is happening or anything I can do about it? Again, in some maps UDL is working fine, others not so much. I see this on both Mac and PC computers with the latest versions of the Chrome browser.

Edited 1596496192
I've made a few test with some tokens, checking what they see with CTRL+L. Not sure if these things are bugged or if this is intended (but really strange) behavior : - circles on the lighting layer don't block sight at all, only lines block sight in my experience - night vision doesn't seem to be affected by the light multiplier. A token with night vision see the same light radius carried from another token, if he has 100% or 400 %, it doesn't change anything. My understanding is, it should amplify lights from other tokens. It doesn't do anything like that.&nbsp; - Likewise, light multiplier doesn't seem to change anything for a token who emits light. I don't see what multiplier does, to be honest. EDIT : made a few more tests, and finally multiplier seemed to be working correctly... It's really strange. Seems reloading the game corrected that (or loading as PC then reloading as GM). The vision on the GM's side seems to be a bit confusing, since you can't really see what a token exactly sees with CTRL+L. If you join the game as a player, it's fine. If you are connected as GM and CTRL+L a character, you still continue to see things that only GM should see. For example, a token with dark vision sees other token's night vision radius with CTR+L. Or a token with a torch setting sees his light doubled with CTR+L if another token has a light multiplier (this multiplier should affect only the token who has it). In conclusion, from my experience CTR+L seems to be bugged, and sometimes showing things from the GM's point of view.

Edited 1596464482
Brian C. said: Note: I know Roll20 supports more than D&amp;D 5e, but 5e is over 50% of what happens on Roll20 . For 5e, UDL's Night Vision provides a functionally worse experience than the equivalent settings in LDL.&nbsp; For 5e, UDL's Night Vision needs to create light . A distortion effect does not really help 5e. Making things darker does not help 5e. LDL works pretty well for 5e's darkvision, but UDL has taken a big step backward. A user's options are bright light (good for a warlock with Devil's Sight), bright light with a darkened tint, or visual distortion. 5e needs UDL Night Vision to offer both bright light and dim light. It could do this by duplicating the Emits Light portion of the token's settings by offering both a bright light distance and a dim light distance. Most people will not use both at the same time. Most players with darkvision need just the dim setting. Some warlocks need just the bright light setting. Maybe there is a use case in some game system for both. This is very interesting. I agree to an extent : night vision in updated lighting is not as good as in legacy, at the moment. Though in my experience, the dark blue tint (#0000ff) seems pretty nice to me and should do the trick for regular, 5e night vision. Still, night vision should be able to see dim lights as bright lights. It was possible in legacy, and it's not possible in UDL. In this regard, UDL is a step back from Legacy. EDIT : it seems the light multiplier is working after all and can simulate this. But it's a bit confusing and difficult to check (see my post right above) " With tinting, Night Vision makes light (bright or dim) it overlaps&nbsp;darker, and two tokens with black tinting (the closest color to replicating LDL's darkvision) will completely obscure the map where they overlap. "&nbsp; From what i could see, it happens only for the GM 's point of view. Any player with dark vision see things like they should be. But the GM see tints overlapping and it can be really disturbing for sure. I'm not sure how it can be improved, without taking back the option for the GM to see on a map the visions of all tokens at the same time, which is a nice quality of life feature, imho.
I have the same problem that Matthew Y mentioned in the 6th tab here, and H.P.L. mentioned in the 9th tab. There are two triangles of light that is supposed to be hidden. They appear when you're zoomed out and get bigger when you zoom out more. I'm a player in this campaign, and it seems I am the only one who sees them. I've tested this in both firefox and chrome and have the same problem on all maps. The DM says that when he looks at my character, and what she is supposed to see, it seems as if it works the way it is supposed to.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Palanthis said: In conclusion, from my experience CTR+L seems to be bugged, and sometimes showing things from the GM's point of view. Ctrl-L is deeply misunderstood. It was never intended to be a checker for all DL setups, though people constantly treat it that way, so people have come to expect it to do so. This has likely even crept into dev statements and possibly parts of later documentation. Ctrl-L is supposed to check Line of Sight. AFAIK, that's why the letter L was chosen. It has never hidden anything on the GM layer, and its direct documentation doesn't make this claim. If you want to truly check a DL set up, rejoin as a player, or better yet, use a&nbsp; Dummy Account .
In 5e, darkvision gives dim-light in darkness, with the old lighting this can be achieved by setting the players dim light to start at 0 and their normal darkvision to 60 or whatever their darkvisions range is. I'd love an option to have darkvision only provide dim-light for this new lighting system. This way light sources are still useful for characters with nightvision.
What you were trying to do: Simulate darkvision giving dim-light in darkness by tinting the tokens vision What happened: Multiple characters tinted vision overlaps to make the map impossible to use Steps to Reproduce: Have multiple tokens with tinted vision on the same map Browser &amp; OS info: Mac-Firefox Game Link: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/4932862/those-that-remain" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/4932862/those-that-remain</a> Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated?: Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not?: Yes Were you using Daylight Mode or not?: No, the problem goes away in explorer's mode Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? 60 nightvision tinted Red for one token, 60 nightvision tinted black for another token.
I agree with the posts above that trying to use a dark tint for dark vision, makes the map difficult and or impossible to use for the DM. If you use the black tint, the map just turns black once you have enough tokens nearby. Perhaps having a dim light option is needed.
Hi I am very enthusiast about your new Dynamic Lighting. Tried to update a map from Legacy to Updated, but there is a section that is forewver lighted, and shouldnt. See the lighted triangle in my screenshot. The triangle also change size depending on how I zoom on the map... For the moment, I just went back to the Legacy Lighting, because I don't want to redo all the map work in a new one. Let me know hoever if this is the only solution. Thanks. LYE

Edited 1596529821
Kenton said: The Sharpen effect was added as a way to make the difference between the Night Vision and Vision more clear. There were two features added there: Night VIsion Tint Color (with any color or transparent) and the Sharpen Effect. Sharpen had some fans, but the sentiment we saw most common was that "Sharpen made graphics look bad," which is true, so we made it completely optional. Night Vision no longer appears the same as Bright Light because of the tint choice. Which is why the known issue was marked as resolved.&nbsp; I think the problem I have with this statement is that when I set a token's nightvision to dark-grey there really isn't much of a difference as it's just tinting the map grey.&nbsp; If I could adjust the intensity of the tint it would perhaps make a difference.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Hey guys, I seem to have a problem when having a certain number of tokens as light sources.... Detailed description of the problem When using Dynamic lighting, when you add a certain number of light source tokens, the main vision of the players is forced into a cone view as seen below, even with restricted vision turned off. What were you trying to do: Placing tokens as light sources. Steps to reproduce: Have enough tokens as light sources.

Edited 1596554986
TLDR ~ Need to easily see the difference between normal light, low light, and explored areas beyond a token's sight range while using Explorer Mode. UDL does not do this currently, so it doesn't have "feature parity" with LDL yet. Some game systems need this, such as Pathfinder 1st Edition, to be system agnostic. I don't believe that UDL has full feature parity with LDL, solely because you can't see any difference between low light and normal light when using UDL. For example, a character carrying a torch (20 ft of normal light with 20 ft of additional low light in Pathfinder 1st Edition). In LDL, the difference is clear with the low light shaded. In UDL, it appears as normal light out to 40 ft. I understand that tinting has been made available, and I could possibly use this to show the range of normal light using a yellow tint. But as others pointed out, when multiple tokens are using this same tint, they start obscuring the map as the tints are stacked on top of each other. One method to resolve this is to remove this stacking with all tinting, whether it's from sight or aura. This may cause an issue with multiple tokens with light/auras in the same area, but this could be resolved by using the layering already in place for objects. Objects "on top" have their tint override those it overlaps with. So GMs can force which object's aura/sight tint is shown. The player's token on the player's account view will still always be "on top" as normal, but the tint surrounding that player's token may be from another object. An example of this, a player's token is carrying torch (light represented by light yellow tint) and is adjacent to the monster token with a 60 ft aura (represented by red tint). The monster's aura would extend beyond the player's yellow tint. The player would still have sight out to 40 ft as set on his token from his torch, but the tint surrounding his token would be red (not yellow) because the GM has used "To Front" option on the monster's token. Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but this may be a possible solution to multiple layers of tinting that others have mentioned. Overall, LDL already does this when using Advanced Fog of War. See the screenshot below that shows the bright light radius, the low light radius, and the explored area beyond.
What you were trying to do: Test lighting and set up lighting on tokens and pages What happened: G...g...g...ghost tokens! (And grid lines). This token was deleted, but remained in this weird transparent state which remained in the same location relative to the screen, not the map-- meaning it moved around as I panned. Grid lines included. This is not the first time it's happened. In fact, it has shown tokens from a completely different page after switching. Steps to Reproduce: Delete a token then pan around the map.Using UDL with Explorer Mode. Multiple tokens and light sources on page (including the other page that was ghosting). Browser &amp; OS info: Both Chome &amp; Firefox, latest update as of 4-Aug-2020 Is WebGL supported by your browser? Chrome and Firefox support WebGL 1.0 and 2.0 Game Settings Just about everything? Bar links, compact bars, UDL stuff, grid opacity, show names off, small avatars, bar colors Map Settings Updated Dynamic Lighting using Explorer Mode. No Daylight. Token Settings All tokens with Bright Light vision, one with Night Vision, one emitting Bright and Dim Liight. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: On
Paul H. said: I'm somewhat worried about declarations of "parity" when I cannot use the Updated Dynamic Lighting without major issues. I'm running a game of "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" and looking into the browser task manager when using the old dynamic lighting, the GPU process will be using somewhere between 1 and 2gb of RAM and run fine. Turning on Updated Dynamic Lighting, this immediately spikes to over 6gb and as things move around this increases (especially if explorer mode is on). If this spikes above 8gb (which doesn't take long to happen), the GPU process will crash breaking all the lighting until I reload (which will at this point take a long time). This makes Updated Dynamic Lighting useless for our purposes. So I'm now concerned that the legacy dynamic lighting (which causes often causes lag issues for my players if we use the advanced fog of war) is going to be retired with the Updated system still unusable. I had similar issue with the new dynamic lighting, I turned it on a larger map (a bit over 100 x 100) and it led to freezes and extremely long load times; likewise, my RAM usage for the browser running Roll20 (I tried both Chrome version&nbsp;84.0.4147.105 and Firefox version 79.0) jumps to 5-6 GB with the new dynamic lighting when it normally takes about 1 GB with the legacy dynamic lighting. Turning off the new dynamic lighting and reverting back to legacy dynamic lighting fixed the issue, so I hope that the legacy version doesn't get phased out if the new dynamic lighting will result in such a jump in RAM usage.
Damn ...&nbsp;
I am trying to use the UDL in Dragon Heist and it now takes so long to load pages that it is unplayable. I am getting a message that a webpage is slowing my browser.
What you were trying to do: Join a game (as a player) that uses the new dynamic lighting What happened: &nbsp;(Screen shots are useful here!) Editor won't load - map stays as a black screen with the 'loading..' text. menus and chat work fine. Other players are able to load the app without issue. Steps to Reproduce: Use the oldest laptop you have, and try to load a dynamic lighting game :) Browser &amp; OS info: Win7, Chrome&nbsp; Version 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit) Is WebGL supported by your browser? supported Platform: Win32 Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium) Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0 Chromium) Vendor: WebKit Renderer: WebKit WebGL Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0) Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: Yes, D3D9 Major Performance Caveat: No Supported Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic WEBKIT_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_element_index_uint OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context WEBKIT_WEBGL_lose_context Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7859818" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7859818</a> Game Settings new dynamic lighting Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated?&nbsp; &nbsp; Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not?&nbsp; &nbsp; Explorer mode on Were you using Daylight Mode or not?&nbsp; &nbsp; Daylight mode on Token Settings N/A Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: turned on on Chrome Speedtest Results Upload (5.11 Mbps) , Download (32.68 Mbps), and Ping (12ms)&nbsp; values.
Jay Berryman Crawford said: Hi all! I've been an avid user of updated dynamic lighting, but a glitch has recently surfaced that's making me move my game over to legacy dynamic lighting. Here are the lighting settings for an example I'm going to show. I am my game's gm. Here is what the game looks like at this particular amount of zoom. It looks exactly as it should. (Ignore the background, this is a menu for my players) Zooming out, however, distorts the night vision view. In addition, there appears to be a bizarre "double vision" effect. Within dimly lit areas, there's a dimmer copy of everything seen, slightly beside the original. At further zooms, the issue is exacerbated even more. I will be switching over to Legacy Dynamic Lighting until this is fixed, as it renders the system unusable for me. Let me know if I need to provide any additional details. I'm also seeing this effect on the Curse of Strahd in the Death House map. At 140% zoom the visible area from Night Vision matches the map but as zoom is reduced the highlighted area moves out of sync with the map. At 130% zoom You can see how it distort in CTRL+L mode 140% 130% zoom 100% zoom
Same problem as several other posts. Followed the recommendation of logging in as player. This is what my player will see.&nbsp; &nbsp;
All of my tokens have limited field of view even though it is not selected. What you were trying to do:&nbsp; Set up updated dynamic lighting with green tinted darkvision. What happened: &nbsp;The players have green tinted darkvision with a limited field of view.&nbsp; Here is a screenshot of their field of view.&nbsp; Not all of the tokens here have vision turned on.&nbsp; I have a large group and am testing using less tokens with vision to enhance performance. If I rotate the character tokens, the nightvision rotates with them.&nbsp; Here is another shot rotated.&nbsp; Steps to Reproduce:&nbsp; Enable updated dynamic lighting.&nbsp; Enable explorer mode.&nbsp; Give tokens vision and darkvision with a range of 60 feet to 180 feet.&nbsp; Do not turn on limited field of view. Browser &amp; OS info:&nbsp;&nbsp; Google Chrome is up to date&nbsp; Vsion 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit).&nbsp;&nbsp; Is WebGL supported by your browser? ✓ This browser supports WebGL 1 Platform: Win32 Browser User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36 Context Name: webgl GL Version: WebGL 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium) Shading Language Version: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0 Chromium) Vendor: WebKit Renderer: WebKit WebGL Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0) Antialiasing: Available ANGLE: Yes, D3D11 Major Performance Caveat: No Vertex Shader Max Vertex Attributes: 16 Max Vertex Uniform Vectors: 4096 Max Vertex Texture Image Units: 16 Max Varying Vectors: 30 Best float precision: [-2 127 , 2 127 ] (23) Transform Feedback Coming in&nbsp; WebGL 2 Rasterizer Aliased Line Width Range: [1, 1] Aliased Point Size Range: [1, 1024] Fragment Shader Max Fragment Uniform Vectors: 1024 Max Texture Image Units: 16 float/int precision: highp/highp Best float precision: [-2 127 , 2 127 ] (23) Framebuffer Max Color Buffers: 8 RGBA Bits: [8, 8, 8, 8] Depth / Stencil Bits: [24, 8] Max Render Buffer Size: 16384 Max Viewport Dimensions: [32767, 32767] Textures Max Texture Size: 16384 Max Cube Map Texture Size: 16384 Max Combined Texture Image Units: 32 Max Anisotropy: 16 Uniform Buffers Coming in&nbsp; WebGL 2 Supported Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query EXT_float_blend EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_compression_bptc EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic WEBKIT_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_sRGB KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_element_index_uint OES_fbo_render_mipmap OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBKIT_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBKIT_WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context WEBKIT_WEBGL_lose_context WEBGL_multi_draw WEBGL_video_texture Game Link: &nbsp;(The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page)&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/4074687/stab-it-trebek" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/4074687/stab-it-trebek</a> Game Settings Was anything changed from default?&nbsp; I don't think so. Map Settings Are you using Legacy or Updated?&nbsp; Updated Were you using Explorer Mode or not?&nbsp; Yes Were you using Daylight Mode or not?&nbsp; No. Token Settings What kinds of light and vision were utilized on tokens? (bright light, low light, night vision, regular vision) Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: On. Speedtest Results &nbsp; PING &nbsp; 23 &nbsp; DOWNLOAD &nbsp; Mbps 35.91 &nbsp; UPLOAD &nbsp; Mbps 5.79
What is the "Permanent Darkness" and what is it used for? The name here doesn't fit with what it is doing.&nbsp; What it is doing is censoring a part of the map so players can't see it. It is not "permanent darkness". It's not magical darkness, because you can't see what on the other side of magical darkness. I think the naming of this feature is misleading and doesn't reflect what its intended for. Most likely it will be used mostly by streamers to censor out watermarks on maps they don't want people to see.
Player can see entire map if they hit Ctrl-L while their token is selected.This is very specific behaviour, that "unlocks" a player's tokens to be able to see the entire map as if Explorable Darkness were completely cleared. This honestly feels like someone put a testing "backdoor" into the player client and forgot to remove it. To Reproduce Enable DL and Explorer Mode Add multiple player tokens Enable Vision on the tokens Log in as the player in a separate browser (I'm using Chrome for GM and Firefox for the Player) to insure there is no "cross-contamination" of browser state data. Give player control of Token1 Player selects Token1 and observes regular DL experience While token selected, player presses Ctrl-L , and now observes the entire map as if the Explorable Darkness were completely revealed. Player then Deselects &nbsp;Token1, which now restores the regular DL experience. DM can now select Token1 and press Ctrl-L &nbsp;and will now observe the full map vision the player experienced. Now give the player control over Token2 Player can select Token2 and observe regular DL experience. While Token2 is selected, Player presses Ctrl-L , and observes the same full map view as before. The player can then restore regular DL experience by Deselecting &nbsp;Token2 The DM can now select Token1 or Token2 &nbsp;and press Ctrl-L &nbsp;and observe the Faulty DL experience is now present on both tokens. Sorry for the very long list of steps, but as a Software Engineer myself, I wanted to be thorough.
Been testing UDL from time to time, the main issue I'm running into is the extended load times. On larger maps, its basically unplayable.&nbsp; Using Chrome, w/ Hardware acceleration on, and no plugins activated. That and with a few of our game APIs tied to LDL, switching feels like a hassle at this time.