Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A New Light - Bug Thread - Updated Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War

Bob S. said: When viewing map with CTRL-L (Character View) the map is screwed and all a mess. This was happening while I was adding the Dynamic Lighting Elements. I exited and got back in and it works right now. Not sure what was happening, but there is some glitch going on.  This might be covered in this one: In certain systems, images from the map layer are being distorted and skewed when viewed using Dynamic Lighting. Speaking of the list If it was numbered we could reference a number with a comment.  Thank you for all your work on this.  Bob Hey Bob S. -  So we can best judge the issue you are experiencing and resolve it, would you find filling out the rest of our bug report template , please? Thanks in advance for the help and your patience!

Edited 1587858562
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Philippe J. said: Not sure if this was addressed before (?), but how to you prevent player from moving his token across light boundaries from dymaic lighting layer, when using new udpated dynamic light? Seem I can  move the token through walls and reveal part of the map that should not be visible. Hey Philippe J. -  You should still be able to use Restrict Movement  option in your page settings to stop this from happening. This option doesn't appear in the updated lighting settings at the moment, but instead, near the bottom of the first tab titled Page Details  under the legacy lighting settings. Thanks for the report!

Edited 1587859158
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey M. Klash -  Just to confirm, for your report here , when you experienced the issue with the player view, were permissions for that token in the screenshot set up properly for both yourself and the player in question? That might explain what is going on with the black screen. 

Edited 1587859980
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey M.B. -  Thanks for the report ! We're aware of this issue and working on getting it addressed. We'll let you know you once we push out a fix.
Hey Astaria - For these issues you reported , would you mind filling out the rest of our bug template , please? The information in there is important for us to resolve issues as fast and efficiently as possible. Thank you!
Jason S. said: Hi there, Since this new update, I've tried to restore the DL on my maps, but it goes completely black with no vision at all even with night vision or with a emitting lighting source. Please help. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6002167/adventures-into-torran" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/6002167/adventures-into-torran</a> Hey&nbsp;Jason S. - Unfortunately, I'm unable to reproduce these issues on your game. Can you tell me an exact page name and token you've had problems with, please? Thanks for your patience!
Here’s the information you asked for written in the template. What you were trying to do: Play the game using Updated Dynamic Lighting. What happened: (Quoted from Original post) So we've been experiencing several weird issues that don't seem to be on the list of known issues with the updated dynamic lighting. The biggest issue I'm running into beyond some players being able to see through walls as if they aren't there actually has something to do with tokens and moving them. Occasionally, for whatever reason, when a token is moved it'll remove every players vision from all of their tokens. I have a pair of examples images below as to what it looks like when this happens from a player named Kilyn who captured it for me. This is what they saw prior to us moving some tokens around up into the northern hallway. &nbsp; Strangely, as soon as the token marked Lemon moved onto the Hlynn character token, this is what the player's vision turned into. &nbsp; We have no idea what's causing this but it affects ALL players and all tokens every time it happens. If you move a token vision returns to it, but until you do all tokens act like they simply don't have vision. It isn't anything that makes the game unplayable, but it is incredibly annoying to have to move character tokens repeatedly to get vision back. The worst part is we can't even re-create the issue intentionally. We tried for almost 15 minutes to get it to happen but couldn't, but then once we prepared to move forward it suddenly happened with no warning. As a disclaimer, it doesn't seem to matter what browser is being used. It happens to all players and some of them use Chrome but others use Mozilla. Steps to Reproduce: We are unable to repoduce it reliably. It simply reproduces itself whenever it wants with no reason. Browser &amp; OS info: Both Mozilla and Chrome, Kilyn is using Windows 10 Home Version. We also a player using a Mac but they don’t know their IOS version. They’re encountering the same issue Is WebGL supported by your browser? Yes, and all other players as well Game Link: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1270926" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1270926</a> Game Settings Doesn’t look like it Map Settings We are using the Updated Dynamic Lighting. The game doesn’t care if it’s in explorer mode or not, as tokens still lose vision if explorer mode is off Token Settings Bright and Low light on Ruragi, but the rest of the tokens are using dark vision 60 feet. Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: No Speedtest Results 21 Ping, Download 119 Mbps, Upload 5.3 mbps
It appears that this update for switching Dynamic Lighting between Legacy and New has now affected the Legacy system. Prior to the update, scrolling the screen, typing, and clicking on things was on separate threads. You might have had to wait a little for the system to catch up, but you could queue up a few different actions. Unfortunately, today, when playing from 6pm to 10pm, it looks like updates on the map and scrolling around have been placed squarely on the same worker thread, the User Interface thread. What ends up happening is that if any player moves their token, everyone, including the player that moved the token freezes until the screen updates. With 5 players, it slowed down my games significantly. It appears that its only caused by moving the player's tokens, but it causes some severe problems. I've also noticed that loading time has *severely* increased (3-4x, upwards of 2 minutes in some cases). Settings: Fog of War - Off Advanced Lighting - On (Dim Light Reveals) Dynamic Lighting - On (Enforce Line of Sight, Only Update on Drop) New Dynamic Lighting - Off I have verified that every token does not have the new Dynamic Lighting system online. I also have verified that moving the tokens without players online causes the same issue. Being a programmer, I thought I'd do a little digging on what is going on. I did a performance check, and I found this d20.engine.advanced_fog.computeVisibleCells is being called many times. In fact, out of the 4952.7 milliseconds that we're being held on the same thread, this function is taking up 4929.7ms. This shows a *very* inefficient Function is being put right in the middle of the Render Thread, causing lockups from everyone. So, I did a little more debugging... It seems that, inside of this Advanced Fog, you're calling clone over and over again, called by this d20.math.sub. Cloning an object runs through and asks for each individual property of each individual thing to put back into this object, and then throw in modifications to that object. This is *extremely* inefficient... In your *BEST* case scenario, this is called three times in one execution. However, with this function, it is called *THOUSANDS* of times. Because of this constant cycle of cloning, substitution, and replacement, Roll20 ends up calling this function thousands of times with any map that has a decent number of lines to it. Now, this function normally wouldn't be a problem, but due to no caching going on with this function, and its average time to compute taking 0.7 milliseconds, a mildly complicated map will take about 4.5 seconds to compute *PER* move. What is the solution? Well, one thing that can be done is to stop using d20.math.sub as often as it is here. In fact, one call can be removed with const n = d20.math.sub(t,o), as it is already being stored at const i = d20.math.sub(t, o). If you need const n to be a substitution of d20.math.sub(t,o), then you can just change return d20.math.dot(s, a) to return d20.math.dot(s, i) The actual make of const n = d20.math.sub(t, o) is redundant, and leads to extra executions. The additional problem is that you can, instead, try to cache your outputs to keep those variables in memory without rebuilding them for every execution. Q: But won't n = d20.math.sub(t, o) be the same over and over again because its labelled as const? A: Ahh! No, it won't, because const doesn't mean that const is a constant like in C#. In JavaScript const actually means "readonly." It cannot be reassigned once set, but it acts like any other variable. If you end up closing an if statement, obliterating an anonymous function, that memory address is destroyed, and when you come back to the const variable, it builds it over again. Q: How would you prevent this from being calculated over and over again? A: I would label these as vars I could reassign, and instead of cloning, I would edit them directly. Unless I'm really paranoid that the individual items would be called by the initial function, I wouldn't utilize the cloning function. Its unnecessary bloat. If I'm worried that pre-calling functions would be messed up if I substituted an item, I would call clone(e) on the first line right after the function started, and set that as a variable. Then, I would substitute the variables inside of that new variable.
Spren
Sheet Author
Nice Zachare! That's really impressive. Performance is definitely the main issue for me more than anything else. In it's current state UDL is completely unusable and it's been extremely disappointing to try every few days and see no improvement. Hopefully your post helps with that.

Edited 1587980040
Ditto here, Nice work Zachare. Performance IS the main reason why i don't use either lightning systems. Alle other problems (well almost all) are just minor bugs compared to that. Hope the roll20 team takes your post seriously.
Nice find Zachare. Why they decided to push the new light live without proper testing is beyond me.
Nicholas said: Hey&nbsp;Halie S. and Valerie M.&nbsp;-&nbsp; As you both mentioned &nbsp;here &nbsp;and here , you were not able to use Updated Dynamic Lighting with Safari. However, as mentioned by Valerie, we only support Chrome and Firefox at this time. Double-checking though, were you still experiencing the same issues with Safari? If so, can you try to see if the issue also persists on Chrome or Firefox as well, please? We want to see if the issue you're having is browser-specific, or a larger issue at hand. Thanks for your patience here! Nicholas, screenshots with the settings of all tokens as shown: This is UDL, daylight mode, as GM in Chrome.&nbsp; The black lines on the token layer exactly correspond to dynamic lighting lines.&nbsp; &nbsp;I use the AllSight token in the way 'breadcrumbs" are used, for areas players know or have explored.&nbsp; Notice all tokens have sight. This is the player view in Safari, with UDL, in Daylight mode!&nbsp; Moving the visible tokens does not change any visibility.&nbsp; The AllSight is a pinpoint rather than a globe of light, and I keep mistaking it for a bit of lint on the screen.&nbsp; Glowie is not even visible. Turning off Daylight mode does not improve anything in Safari, as shown above. This is Chrome, Daylight mode turned off, GM view.&nbsp; I can't interpret what I'm seeing in terms of the vision and light characteristics of the tokens. This is Chrome, Daylight mode is off, and I am viewing as a player.&nbsp; Once again Glowie has disappeared, and in this case so has Black Elm, probably because as a player I don't control that token.&nbsp; Is the lower part of the screen visible because of Falconclasp's night vision? It's as bright as day.&nbsp; Basically Safari is useless for UDL.&nbsp; I hope enough functionality will eventually be supported to allow viewing the VTT. BTW, I want to say I appreciate the professionalism with which you are all working through all the comments, and what a massive piece of work this is, and how much more impressive it will be when it all works out.&nbsp; I feel like I get a lot for my money.&nbsp; Thanks.

Edited 1587935034
I have just upgraded to plus for a new game on Thursday, I can confirm that explorer mode just messes the entire thing up. I just get a large black screen or the areas the player hasn't explored are in black and white&nbsp;
DXWarlock said: Trying out the new dynamic lighting. If I give a token sight. I cannot drop the token when moving it anywhere other than where it was to start. It physically will not leave my mouse pointer no matter how I click, its stuck to my pointer (the first movement is me trying to place it..). In the recording it looks like it drops a few times, that just when I click to TRY to drop it, it pause but then snaps back to my mouse. I disable "Vision" and it drops normally. At first I didn't even realize I could drop it back where I picked it up from, I had to refresh the page to get it unglued from my mouse. Hey&nbsp;DXWarlock - We were able to get this reproduced and&nbsp;we are currently working to fix it. Thanks for pointing this out!&nbsp;
Hey Carey S. -&nbsp; For your reports here and here , we were able to get this reproduced and we're working on getting it resolved. Thank you for the feedback!
Hey Outer Realms DM -&nbsp; For your report here , these are known issues and we're working on a resolution. Thanks for checking in!
Nicholas said: Jay R. said: I wasn't sure where to post this, since it doesn't technically involve the new lighting system, but I can report that in my current game, which features the legacy lighting system, I'm having the same Cmd-L problem others have reported here: namely, that when in Cmd-L mode with a player token, I can see objects on the GM layer. This is obviously not at all ideal. Also, I'm baffled by the decision to release this new functionality when it is so clearly not ready for primetime.&nbsp; Hey Jay R. -&nbsp; Thanks for the feedback! We actually put out a fix for the issue with CTRL-L/CMD-L last week. Would you mind checking to see if it's resolved on your end, please?&nbsp; Hi Nicholas. Just tested tonight and the issue persists.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Isn't this the traditional behavior with Legacy? Command L does not hide objects on the GM layer.
keithcurtis said: Isn't this the traditional behavior with Legacy? Command L does not hide objects on the GM layer. Ctrl-L used to allow you to see what the current token sees, so you could determine if you're showing something that *should* be on the GM layer but its actually on the Map or Token Layer. If Ctrl-L is actually not hiding GM Layer information, its changed from what it used to be 2 weeks ago. =/
OMG TY. It must have turn off with the new update or maybe when I accidentally enable the New DL. You're a champ&nbsp; Cheers Alan said: Luke R. said: Hello my Dynamic Lighting was working great now it just stopped working after the last update that introduced the new system. I am still using the legacy system. What other info do you need to help me out? My players just see Black now when lighting is turned on. It looks like the "Has sight" checkbox is un-ticked on the token settings.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Zachare S. said: keithcurtis said: Isn't this the traditional behavior with Legacy? Command L does not hide objects on the GM layer. Ctrl-L used to allow you to see what the current token sees, so you could determine if you're showing something that *should* be on the GM layer but its actually on the Map or Token Layer. If Ctrl-L is actually not hiding GM Layer information, its changed from what it used to be 2 weeks ago. =/ This has never been my experience. Ctrl-L allows you to see line of sight of a selected token, limited by vision blockers and lighting. I have always used a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;to test actual Legacy DL vision. Items on the GM layer have never been blocked by Ctrl/Cmd-L to my knowledge.
keithcurtis said: This has never been my experience. Ctrl-L allows you to see line of sight of a selected token, limited by vision blockers and lighting. I have always used a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;to test actual Legacy DL vision. Items on the GM layer have never been blocked by Ctrl/Cmd-L to my knowledge. Same here, I've been active and working on my campaigns on here for over a year and Ctrl+L had never hidden the GM layer for me.

Edited 1587980800
How many object can this new feature handle? How big map? I tried 100x100 and it was fine at start. Was adding more torches to dungeon and around 35 it broke and now I can't even load my campain, because this dungeon was default page for me. Can't delete anything because there is jsut black loading screen. Any info/ideas? I mean I understand that big maps can make problems, but I don't see any way to solve it at the moment, to redo this. EDIT: Okay, somehow it launched. Deleted this map. But would appreceiate some number about torches, still.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jack B. said: How many object can this new feature handle? How big map? I tried 100x100 and it was fine at start. Was adding more torches to dungeon and around 35 it broke and now I can't even load my campain, because this dungeon was default page for me. Can't delete anything because there is jsut black loading screen. Any info/ideas? I mean I understand that big maps can make problems, but I don't see any way to solve it at the moment, to redo this. EDIT: Okay, somehow it launched. Deleted this map. But would appreceiate some number about torches, still. Generally, you want to use the minimum number of lights to cover the lighted area. If you can delete a torch or two here or there and not change the light coverage, you want to do so.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
"How much is too much" is an often asked, but impossible to answer question. There are way too many hardware, software and connectivity variables from group to group and user to user within that group. The only real answer is "until it breaks for your group"
I am not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but the old dynamic lighting system was great. Is there a way to go back to the old system in a game until some of these issues are fixed? There are 8 pages of comments so this might have been addressed before. But I am trying to get an encounter ready for Saturday and I can't get this figured out.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: Zachare S. said: keithcurtis said: Isn't this the traditional behavior with Legacy? Command L does not hide objects on the GM layer. Ctrl-L used to allow you to see what the current token sees, so you could determine if you're showing something that *should* be on the GM layer but its actually on the Map or Token Layer. If Ctrl-L is actually not hiding GM Layer information, its changed from what it used to be 2 weeks ago. =/ This has never been my experience. Ctrl-L allows you to see line of sight of a selected token, limited by vision blockers and lighting. I have always used a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;to test actual Legacy DL vision. Items on the GM layer have never been blocked by Ctrl/Cmd-L to my knowledge. My experience lines up with Zachare S's. But since the new light update, I can see items on the GM Layer when in Cmd-L mode. I know that it doesn't replicate player view, since my players couldn't see the twelve zombies hiding in sarcophagi that ambushed them last session and they were on the GM Layer. But it does make Cmd-L significantly less effective in trying to see through player eyes. I shouldn't have to create a dummy account just to test something that this option is supposed to do (not that I don't appreciate your advice, keith -- I'm just frustrated by this whole new light debacle and how it's managed to affect even those of us still using legacy lighting). I for one am not coming within a mile of the new light system until, and only until, it has absolute feature parity with the old system AND the performance issues are fixed.

Edited 1588050756
What you were trying to do: Just using the new Dynamic Lighting system. Chrome seems to have problems that Firefox does not, on Chrome player tokens are able to see through walls for some reason where as on Firefox the new Dynamic Lighting is working as intended. What happened: Dynamic Light vision is passing through vision blockers on Chrome but works just fine on Firefox. Steps to Reproduce: Switching browsers, moving token to different spots, reloading roll20. Browser &amp; OS info: Chrome (issues), Firefox (Working as intended), Windows 10 64 bit Is WebGL supported by your browser? Firefox and Chrome both state that it is supported. Game Link: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/2505895/adventurers-guild-team-2" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/2505895/adventurers-guild-team-2</a> Game Settings: Custom Settings but mostly changes like Character Sheet and rolling defaults. Map Settings: Updated &amp; Explorer Mode Token Settings: Night Vision &amp; Bight/Dim light Do you have Hardware Acceleration turned On or Off in your browser or system: Off on both browsers, OBS does not capture either web browser when Hardware Acceleration is enabled otherwise I would. The only reason I do not use Hardware Acceleration is specifically because I can't capture the windows with it on. Really wish that Roll20 had a stand alone client/application some times :S
Checked out the update April 28 2020 and still Ctrl L displays whole map not just what selected token sees.&nbsp; Chrome&nbsp; Explorers Guide to Wildemount Adventure Preview
It is when explorer mode is on that all is revealed. When I turn off explorer mode it only shows what the character can see.&nbsp;
Hey Jay R and Jim! The Ctrl-L issue that was fixed this morning was an issue where some users would use the command and get the inverse of what Ctrl-L is supposed to behave. I do, however, want you to know that the Ctrl-L revealing the map [ 1 , 2 ] is still being investigated by our team. That said, today's code push also brought with it the following fixes: Fixed an issue where a token controlled by a player could reveal areas on the player's current page when moved on a different page. Fixed an issue where default token settings did not apply low light. When the page scale units are not in feet, the token's light and vision settings now show the distance in the new unit of measurement. Fixed an issue where decimals in light and vision settings on tokens were not being applied to the token.
Randee D. said: I am not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but the old dynamic lighting system was great. Is there a way to go back to the old system in a game until some of these issues are fixed? There are 8 pages of comments so this might have been addressed before. But I am trying to get an encounter ready for Saturday and I can't get this figured out.&nbsp; Hey there Randee, Until Updated Dynamic Lighting reaches feature parity with Legacy Dynamic Lighting, UDL is opt-in. You can toggle back to Legacy Dynamic Lighting by selecting either Advanced Fog of War or Dynamic Lighting or both in the&nbsp; Page Details tab under Campaign Detail Settings. &nbsp;
Randee D. said: I am not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but the old dynamic lighting system was great. Is there a way to go back to the old system in a game until some of these issues are fixed? There are 8 pages of comments so this might have been addressed before. But I am trying to get an encounter ready for Saturday and I can't get this figured out.&nbsp; I have to agree with Randee here 100%. I hope the new DL works, but right now, it's really not good for me. I've been using the Legacy Dynamic Lighting (with Firefox) for quite some time and it works just fine. Now when I try loading one of my maps with the new DL, it is completely non-responsive (it's a pretty big map, but it works 100% fine under Legacy). It was a challenge (both times) just to get to the page tab just to change it back to the Legacy Dynamic Lighting.&nbsp;
Thanks CeeJay That was the issue I was having. The reverse of what it is supposed to do. When I saw the fix was to correct that behavior I tried it.&nbsp; My feedback is when explorer mode is on I get the reverse of what ctrl L is supposed to do and when explorer mode is off it behaves as it is supposed to .&nbsp;
I just tried to use this for the first time, and the problem I keep seeming to have is like: The lines drawn on the dynamic lighting layer just don't seem to matter if they're there or not. I put up the lines as normal and use daylight mode as it is a sci fi game and everything is usually lit up. But it lights up the whole map for everyone to see everything instead of enforcing line of sight. The older one seems to still enforce it. Is there a different way to "put up walls" so to say? Thanks.&nbsp;

Edited 1588126222
Chad
Plus
Sheet Author
Having a bit of a bug I think. My token has darkvision and can see 120 without any trouble. My friend's token has a torch and has bright and dim lighting set. When my friend's light is dim, tokens look dim for him... but they also look dim for me when his light is dim. When he moves out of range completely, the tokens pop back up to full brightness due to my darkvision.
Unfortunately advanced fog of war does not work for me at all, it either completely lights up the entire map or when moving tokens it does not remember previous locations. I have tested with all the legacy options and the new options and neither works&nbsp;
On April 18, had my first time DMing (and second time playing) in over 20 years for our Session Zero.&nbsp; I ran the party through a "micro-dungeon" with legacy Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War, just so we could cover how we were going to approach things in game like combat and exploration. On April 25, we had our first session... but one of my players could not even get past the "Loading..." screen.&nbsp; I turned off Dynamic Lighting, and she was able to join in, although still had some severe lag when trying to move her token or click on anything.&nbsp; Other players were also experiencing lag to some degree or another, even after removing Dynamic Lighting. Just now, to test some things out, I tried having her connect once again with legacy Dynamic Lighting turned back on.&nbsp; (I thought maybe it was just some kind of blip or glitch.)&nbsp; Instead, the website completely crashed for her. I started to look around the forums when I noticed this thread, and would like to add my voice to the chorus of others begging you to separate Updated Dynamic Lighting from Legacy.&nbsp; I desperately want to give my players the best experience I can, and even recently bought several adventure modules off your Marketplace to help in that endeavor, but these updates have made it impossible.&nbsp; I really appreciate that you guys are trying to make things better for us, but it's only made things worse.
Progress Report - 4/29/2020 I decided that I needed to do some Smoke tests on the system to see how things are progressing, to see if there would be, one day, a time that I would convert my current game to the new hotness. For this, I setup a Smoke Test looking like this: The Setup A simple set of rooms, with an outside and an inside. The Top left room has two torches (20' bright/20' dim) with four pillars, and 3 enemies. One should be visible, one should be mostly obscured, and the third should be fully obscured. The hallway outside of the NW Room has one enemy in darkness. The spectator token has no light, but has normal player vision. The token should see the enemy peeking around the corner. The bottom "maze" has one Spectator sitting in a corner with 30' bright/30' dim self light. The east large room has no light in it, three pillars, with the Sunlight peeking through the end of the room. The spectator token has a 30' bright/30' dim self light. It should see the enemy in dim light. The east large room has one spector sitting in a large room. It should see the partially obscured enemy around the corner closest to it, and the fully visible token to the east. It does not have line of sight to the North Token, and the vision is too far on the South East Token. Outside, a few invisible tokens provide 300' of light extending in all directions to bring in "day" Problem 1: No Dim Lighting In the first noticable problem, Dim Lighting doesn't seem to exist on this map. The token should be in dim light, with a grey drop off light, as this Spectator token has a 30' Bright, and 30' Dim light. The token is correctly dimmed, but it does not reflect the fact that the token's overall light level is not correct. Problem 2: Light is not Reset in Areas that no longer have light Deleting the Sunlight outside to attempt to see if that is causing the No Dim light, deleting the sunlight outside does not reset the light to fix the lighting, greying out areas. Refreshing the browser does not rectify the situation, and leads into the next problem... Problem 3: Upon Refresh, Non-Sighted Tokens will disappear See the above picture for more information. If you attempt to reload Roll20 and go back to the same client, you end up losing the tokens that should be seen by the client, but are not visible to the client. In the above example, the player in the NW Room should see 2 of the 3 tokens in the room. However, in the example, the token is no longer visible. Problem 4: Spectral Dotting in Darkened Areas In darkened areas, the player moving the token can cause some spectral dotting to occur 4 Units along both edges to occur. This allows you to be able to move the token enough to see what's in the next room by using this spectral dot exploit. Problem 4: Inconsistent Edge Checking outside of Sight Radii Due to how the space is structured, the spectral dotting area can use this issue to occur where you can find out the dimensions of the zone, even if you do not have light to reach to those walls. Verdict Unfortunately, this feature isn't ready for me to use in my games. There are severe structural issues with the new lighting system that I will not be using in any game. I'm just hoping they aren't ignoring some of the bug fixes from the Legacy system while they iron this new system out. &gt;.&gt;
OK, so I've been struggling with the frustration of UDL for about 90+ hours now (265 hours in the .&nbsp; I think I've figured out a whole bunch of things and got things to work the way I want and expect them to go, BUT... there are still weird things happening that I can't figure out and I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong. I have a pretty decent sized map (57 x 40) for the Hatchery (Chapter 4 in The Hoard of the Dragon Queen).&nbsp; Relatively easy to put in a map, resize it to align with the Roll20 grid.&nbsp; I placed all the monsters, at first I was putting them in with their various vision (dark vision, etc.) and made the mistake of setting them up so they were emanating light (so like 60' of low light emanation instead of vision and darkvision).&nbsp; Later I corrected this and basically made them blind generic tokens with little more than a name (Kobold 1, Kobold 2, etc.) and a token picture. I put in a bunch of light sources on the GM layer from the sun coming into the cave (I had three sunlight tokens emanating bright light for like 120 ft.) placed to illuminate the first two chambers as described in the module and about 6 or so "cloud covered sun" tokens which put out dim light for about 45 feet to illuminate the next two chambers with dim lighting.&nbsp; I then had like 15-19 oil lamps (emanating 15 ft. of bright light and 30 of dim light).&nbsp; I think I had all these light sources set with vision&nbsp; and such.. not sure why. I had performance issues, everything was really slow, and weird things kept happening. Suddenly the screen would go black (usually when I was trying to move something on the map), then when it cam back on, the map area would be white, and then the map could come back on but would be only a portion (like a 30x25&nbsp; portion of the upper left side of the map, but it was different every time)&nbsp; I could fix this by refreshing the page which would cause a reload and it seemed to work OK. Another issue that keeps coming up is when a player is moving a character, sometimes it all works great and exactly how it is supposed to.&nbsp; But there is a heavy lag from what they are doing and what I am seeing.&nbsp; So if them move a token 60 feet, it will not move and then it will move really slowly on my screen and is about 30-40 seconds behind. The worst issue is when for some reason everything is going good and then all of a sudden the player will be able to see the entire map (inside solid stone, like everything...) but it will be in black and white (or gray scale) like you have with the fog of war or in (Explorer mode?) when the player has already seen something.&nbsp; But they could not have seen the entire map inside walls, etc. like I see as the GM.&nbsp; I've fought with this issue for at least 40 hours trying to figure out what causes this.&nbsp; At first I thought it was due to me having access to the characters to move them around (I had my name assigned to each of the characters and NPCs because I thought I needed this to manipulate or modify them... but I guess as GM I do not).&nbsp; It also happened once instantaneously in real time when I clicked onto a player's token and hit ctrl-L to "see" what she was seeing at that moment and the instant I did this the player said "Whoa!&nbsp; I can see the entire map... like everything inside solid rock and walls and the legend and all the monsters and lamps and chests and even the monsters you have stuck in the solid rock to pull out to use in Random Encounters.&nbsp;&nbsp; So, not knowing what to do, I went in to every NPC token and made them just pictures with a name and hit points.&nbsp; I took out 2 of the sunlight tokens from the GM layer as well as all but 2 of the dim light emanating tokens.&nbsp; I dropped the oil lamps down to 10 and placed them as efficiently as possible so I could get by with the LEAST amount of lamps to light the dungeon as it is described. I also made sure all the characters were set up correctly with vision and dark vision (if they have it) and just vision (if they don't have darkvision).&nbsp; I made sure that ONLY the playing character had control of the character the player tokens were assigned to and only showed up in the players journal.&nbsp; I made sure that I (my name) was not on anything (in case that was somehow giving the players "my" super GM vision to see everything. I haven't had a chance to test this because my tester player is busy and the game is tomorrow.&nbsp; Has anybody had similar problems and figured out how to resolve them (mostly I'm concerned with the players having full "God" vision of the entire map and seeing where all the monsters are - I suppose I could drop them all into GM layer but still, having them see the entire map layout is not good). Other than this, I've found the functionality and ease of use for UDL to be pretty freaking amazing and I'm REALLY hoping I can figure out what I'm doing wrong, or what is causing the issue because I'm ALMOST &nbsp;where I need to be to make a really cool game experience for my players. Anybody have any ideas or comments or experienced similar issues.? Running Windows 10 on Chrome Justin

Edited 1588229050
Zachare S. said: Progress Report - 4/29/2020 I decided that I needed to do some Smoke tests on the system to see how things are progressing, to see if there would be, one day, a time that I would convert my current game to the new hotness. For this, I setup a Smoke Test looking like this: The Setup A simple set of rooms, with an outside and an inside. The Top left room has two torches (20' bright/20' dim) with four pillars, and 3 enemies. One should be visible, one should be mostly obscured, and the third should be fully obscured. The hallway outside of the NW Room has one enemy in darkness. The spectator token has no light, but has normal player vision. The token should see the enemy peeking around the corner. The bottom "maze" has one Spectator sitting in a corner with 30' bright/30' dim self light. The east large room has no light in it, three pillars, with the Sunlight peeking through the end of the room. The spectator token has a 30' bright/30' dim self light. It should see the enemy in dim light. The east large room has one spector sitting in a large room. It should see the partially obscured enemy around the corner closest to it, and the fully visible token to the east. It does not have line of sight to the North Token, and the vision is too far on the South East Token. Outside, a few invisible tokens provide 300' of light extending in all directions to bring in "day" Problem 1: No Dim Lighting In the first noticable problem, Dim Lighting doesn't seem to exist on this map. The token should be in dim light, with a grey drop off light, as this Spectator token has a 30' Bright, and 30' Dim light. The token is correctly dimmed, but it does not reflect the fact that the token's overall light level is not correct. Problem 2: Light is not Reset in Areas that no longer have light Deleting the Sunlight outside to attempt to see if that is causing the No Dim light, deleting the sunlight outside does not reset the light to fix the lighting, greying out areas. Refreshing the browser does not rectify the situation, and leads into the next problem... Problem 3: Upon Refresh, Non-Sighted Tokens will disappear See the above picture for more information. If you attempt to reload Roll20 and go back to the same client, you end up losing the tokens that should be seen by the client, but are not visible to the client. In the above example, the player in the NW Room should see 2 of the 3 tokens in the room. However, in the example, the token is no longer visible. Problem 4: Spectral Dotting in Darkened Areas In darkened areas, the player moving the token can cause some spectral dotting to occur 4 Units along both edges to occur. This allows you to be able to move the token enough to see what's in the next room by using this spectral dot exploit. Problem 4: Inconsistent Edge Checking outside of Sight Radii Due to how the space is structured, the spectral dotting area can use this issue to occur where you can find out the dimensions of the zone, even if you do not have light to reach to those walls. Verdict Unfortunately, this feature isn't ready for me to use in my games. There are severe structural issues with the new lighting system that I will not be using in any game. I'm just hoping they aren't ignoring some of the bug fixes from the Legacy system while they iron this new system out. &gt;.&gt; Perfect setup :) They seem to be rolling out updates around every wednesday, so a new test like this every thurday, would just be perfect. I too look forward to the day that i can convert to the new system. one of the main issues is performance/lagging. You have a way of testing this?&nbsp;
My biggest concern with this new update is the lack of a low-light choice for darkvision-characters. Playing dnd, almost every darkvision character sees in darkness as dim light, not bright light. Hoping for a rapid update with this.&nbsp;
Also, if a character with night vision views a dim light source, their vision goes from bright light to dim light.
I have posted multiple times and others have as well on the performance issues we are seeing. I have 3 campaigns going and in all 3 we have tested the updated dynamic lighting and the performance from a GM point is absolutely terrible. It locks up my screen, causes my cpu to spike to 100% and my browser become unresponsive. I have a high end gaming machine and have my browser enabled to use my GPU.&nbsp; Even with the updated dynamic lighting turned off, we are experiencing lag. Sometimes waiting 10+ seconds to just see a dice roll to show up or trying to show the group a picture. I realize that you have seen an influx of players with what is going on in the world but in my 5+ years of using roll20, this is the worst performance I have seen with the site and its getting frustrating.&nbsp; Is there any plan to improve performance or up your AWS services to the next tier? You upped it a last month and performance was fantastic and then reduced it. Now its miserable.&nbsp;
Jeremy D. said: I have posted multiple times and others have as well on the performance issues we are seeing. I have 3 campaigns going and in all 3 we have tested the updated dynamic lighting and the performance from a GM point is absolutely terrible. It locks up my screen, causes my cpu to spike to 100% and my browser become unresponsive. I have a high end gaming machine and have my browser enabled to use my GPU.&nbsp; Even with the updated dynamic lighting turned off, we are experiencing lag. Sometimes waiting 10+ seconds to just see a dice roll to show up or trying to show the group a picture. I realize that you have seen an influx of players with what is going on in the world but in my 5+ years of using roll20, this is the worst performance I have seen with the site and its getting frustrating.&nbsp; Is there any plan to improve performance or up your AWS services to the next tier? You upped it a last month and performance was fantastic and then reduced it. Now its miserable.&nbsp; I'd just like to see some kind of post from the Staff saying "we understand there are issues with this and are working to fix it."&nbsp; I've been scouring the forums and this thread in particular, but I can't see where they're acknowledging it, and I'm wondering if I'll just have to cut my losses after buying a bunch of stuff here and find an alternate solution. Staff... Give us some sign, please.&nbsp; Three weeks ago, this site was everything that I wanted.
Jeremy D. said: I have posted multiple times and others have as well on the performance issues we are seeing. I have 3 campaigns going and in all 3 we have tested the updated dynamic lighting and the performance from a GM point is absolutely terrible. It locks up my screen, causes my cpu to spike to 100% and my browser become unresponsive. I have a high end gaming machine and have my browser enabled to use my GPU.&nbsp; Even with the updated dynamic lighting turned off, we are experiencing lag. Sometimes waiting 10+ seconds to just see a dice roll to show up or trying to show the group a picture. I realize that you have seen an influx of players with what is going on in the world but in my 5+ years of using roll20, this is the worst performance I have seen with the site and its getting frustrating.&nbsp; Is there any plan to improve performance or up your AWS services to the next tier? You upped it a last month and performance was fantastic and then reduced it. Now its miserable.&nbsp; I can't help but wonder if a lot of the performance issues would disappear if they weren't bloating everyone's JPEGs to PNGs that are about 10 times the size .
I can't help but wonder if a lot of the performance issues would disappear if they weren't bloating everyone's JPEGs to PNGs that are about 10 times the size . Somewhat related comment that I've found this free web service useful for the odd PNG compression. I'm not affiliated with it: <a href="https://tinypng.com/" rel="nofollow">https://tinypng.com/</a>
Hey James N. -&nbsp; For your report here , we wanted to check in to see if you were still experiencing the first issue you reported - the issue with explorer mode not showing you Token movement? Unfortunately, we've been unable to replicate it so far. For the 2nd bug you mentioned (grey visual issue with explorer mode), we have this logged and we're working on getting it fixed. Thanks for all your help and patience here.
Hey Kalagari -&nbsp; For the issue you reported here , we actually put out a fix recently that should have addressed it. Would you mind trying to recreate the problem and let me know the results, please? Thank you so much for your patience and assistance!&nbsp;