Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

Edited 1486842897
Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest watching our introductory video series, Introduction to Tabletop RPGs , which covers the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers. Secondly, for the Virtual TableTop itself we have a Tutorial that shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Thirdly, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Fourth, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Eli C. said: I'm one of those fun social anxiety people, so I always dread any sort of 'meeting new people' and this, being online and seeming not only really accepting but totally non-intimidating? It's great. I hovered for a few weeks, checking out a lot of things, I was grossly paranoid but I'm real glad I signed up, everyone seems so sweet, and helpful. It's just. Lovely. Haha, a fellow wall flower ;) Let' put it this way, i currently run a campaign that only contains my brother, 3 cousins and an uncle due to not wanting strangers to hear my voice or see my face! However, since joining roll20, should i ever get any free time, i'd actually consider joining a group of strangers in a campaign just knowing that there are plenty more like me out there! Maybe text only to being with though ;)
I want to play roll20 but I cant play because "third party cookies"
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi niv, in what way are those pesky tasty treats preventing you from playing... please check out the technical issue help page and create a post in the bugs forum if your situation warrants it.

Edited 1426110681
How do you get added to the player directory?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
you have to fill out your profile completely. Up in the right top corner is your name, click on it and a drop menu will appear, click on profile and edit all the blank fields. Once you do that, the directory will start the process of syncing and updating.
I haven't played D&D for many many years but I just purchased 5e player handbook and am looking ot get into a campaign. I signed up for roll20 but I do not understand how im able to see the DMs maps and such. Is there a program I need to download ? Ive looked and don't see anything or do I just need to join campaign and then I can see everything? Could someone please inform me on what to do
Hi JohnF, and welcome to Roll20. First off, Roll20 isn't a game; it's a way to play games. A virtual tabletop, which allows users to set up their own games within it. You won't have to download anything; everything you need is provided online by the Roll20 servers, and the people running your particular game. So, what you'll need to do is join a game someone else has set up, or set up one of your own. The easiest way to do this is with the Looking For Group tool, or by posting in the Looking for Group forum . Once you're invited to a game, you simply join their campaign, and that's where you'll see the maps and everything. Every GM does things slightly different, but they'll all be glad to tell you how to prepare for their specific game when you join. Have fun! -Phnord
Ah ok thanks! Is there like any file sharing that I need to do? Either way thanks for the info
If you create your own game, you may choose to add to the resources available by uploading your own content. This is by no means required; there are plenty of images available both free and in the Marketplace for a fairly low price. If you join someone else's campaign, typically the most you will be asked is to provide an image to represent your character, if you wish to do so. The GM can usually find something for you if you do not.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
John F. said: I haven't played D&D for many many years but I just purchased 5e player handbook and am looking ot get into a campaign. I signed up for roll20 but I do not understand how im able to see the DMs maps and such. Is there a program I need to download ? Ive looked and don't see anything or do I just need to join campaign and then I can see everything? Could someone please inform me on what to do Hello John and welcome to Roll20. Phnord hit the major points rather well (thanks Phnord) but if you are still not sure try watching the videos listed in the original posts (I will quote them down below to help you) Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. These are our two official beginner videos that will explain close to 95% of the basics roll20 to you. If you need more help then feel free to make a post in our specific use forum (this thread is in at the top of it) and many of our friendly members will help you and us mods with try to help you also.
how do you make a character?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Kelly. Either during campaign creation or after, you need to choose the appropriate character sheet template for the game you want to play. Under campaign details|campaign settings, you can choose the character sheet template from the drop-down menu. Save and then launch your campaign. Once in the campaign editor, use the right sidebar Journal Tab(3rd from left) and click the "+Add" button (top right of the tab). This will open the Journal's Bio|Character Sheet|Abilities & Attributes tabs. Use the "Edit" button to modify the Bio tab (info about the character, assign permissions, portraits, token, etc.) Use the Character Sheet tab to input Character Sheet information. Use the Attributes and Abilites tab to create custom attributes and/or Ability(token) macros. Cheers
Hi Kelly! Vince is spot on with his reply, here is the wiki for our Journal if you'd like to save it for later. It outlines exactly what Vince just shared with you! Thanks Vince!
When a session is about to begin will you receive some type of invite? And do you fill out your character sheet when the game starts or do you make your character previous to the 1st sesion?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
matt m. said: When a session is about to begin will you receive some type of invite? And do you fill out your character sheet when the game starts or do you make your character previous to the 1st sesion? Good questions Matt. The GM of a game will send you a "Join Link" which is the URL to the game. But this could be sent anytime. Usually you would just bookmark\shortcut\favorite the link for easy access to the game. Normally you make future session\game arrangements ahead of time about when you are going to play next. Some GM's may use a combination of email, campaign details page " Next Game Will Be" where the GM can enter information, campaign forum post, or just announce it in-game. Some GM's will allow you to import and character, while other's may have a session just for character creation. It really depends on the GM. Best to find a game ( LFG ) and communicate with the GM. Cheers
So if i wanted to play the character to be a rogue or ranger i just leave it up to the GM . they will send a join link where all the character build will begin.?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Tommy G. said: So if i wanted to play the character to be a rogue or ranger i just leave it up to the GM . they will send a join link where all the character build will begin.? Hi. Tommy. This really depends on the GM running the game. Some GM's may have "pre-generated" characters that the players decide amongst themselves who is going to play which class/character. Another GM might have a "zero" session just for character creation. While another may allow you to import a character into a game with certain parameters given. This will communicated by the game listing and the GM. Best to search for a game using LFG and read the descriptions. Usually you can post in the campaign's forum and wait for a response. Ask lot's of questions so there isn't any misunderstandings. Goodluck.
Hello Everyone, I have a question. I am playing with a campaign for Imperial Assault and had to create custom dice/decks. I was able to do this fine but I am also trying to determine how to get those custom die rolls (Red-Die as an example) into the Macro Quickbar for the players. Thanks

Edited 1426612454
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
for global macros you could create a macro (in the settings 'cog' tab) such as red-die with an output of [[1t[Red-Die]]] or /r 1t[Red-Die] which you can then set as a token action... then when the button is pressed you would get 1 roll of the table named Red-Die. Essentially a one click way of typing #red-die or [[1t[Red-Die]]] or /r 1t[Red-Die] =D Alternatively you can set the same macro up as an ability on the character sheet, then when selected as a token action only tokens pertaining to that particular sheet would have the option (less useful for global stuff) ;)
Perfect. Thank you Ziechael said: for global macros you could create a macro (in the settings 'cog' tab) such as red-die with an output of [[1t[Red-Die]]] or /r 1t[Red-Die] which you can then set as a token action... then when the button is pressed you would get 1 roll of the table named Red-Die. Essentially a one click way of typing #red-die or [[1t[Red-Die]]] or /r 1t[Red-Die] =D Alternatively you can set the same macro up as an ability on the character sheet, then when selected as a token action only tokens pertaining to that particular sheet would have the option (less useful for global stuff) ;)
I am sorry if this doesn't belong here but I got a suggestion In the current system when selecting what game you want to play in any menu that has that option one can only select from a list of games or "Other Games". Sure, this works fine but I think it might be better if additional games could be used similar to tags. I am not sure how to explain it. I'll try though. When you enter D&D 5 You should of course get the suggestion D&D 5E but if you then change it to D&D 5.5E it should say something such as: Did you mean "D&D 5E" Use "D&D 5.5E" So that someone who wants to play that fabled, almost unknown (i.e only existing for this example) version of D&D he could find it as well if someone else made a Campaign for it. "Other Games" seems to make it harder to find a Campaign for lesser known games. Just a suggestion.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A good suggestion indeed... I would recommend using the 'suggestions' forum to post things like it in future though :) +1 from me though in the meantime!
So then... I read about this over at pcgamer.com, and since i just love ye olde pen and paper rpg's I thought I'd head on over to check it out. Then I get here and... I don't even know where to get started... I don't know if it's the aquavit talking or if it's just tmi, but I found myself somewhat bewildered. I've played some p'n'p d&d when I was a kid, but that's like 25 years ago. When in the army we played quite a lot of Vampires the Masquerade, and had a blast. Nowadays though, angst and a pratically non-existant social life prevents me from exploring the macigal world of real rpg's once more. I am quite adept at role playing characters, even though I tend to prefer a "chaotic good" style char. But I digress. Could someone please, point me to a simple tutorial, and give me a few pointers on how to get started with D20, please? Thanks a lot. g.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Avacyn said: First, Welcome to Roll20! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We have two video series that are at your disposal for help getting started. 1) If you're absolutely brand new to RPGs and want to know the general idea of how they are played, which game to choose and then find a group of fellow gamers: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series . 2) If you've played tabletop RPGs before and just want to get a understanding of how Roll20 can be used: Check out our Roll20 Crash Course . This is a step-by-step overview for creating your very first Roll20 campaign. This tutorial uses the Pathfinder RPG to frame itself, but it's not a system specific tutorial and you should be able to follow along without knowing one single thing about Pathfinder. You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. Hopefully this will make acclimating to RPGs and Roll20 a lot easier. Happy Gaming!
Ok I am looking to run my first roll20 game. it will be a pathfinder RPG. My question for the forum which method is prefer method for stats point buy or an array?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vorcan89 said: Ok I am looking to run my first roll20 game. it will be a pathfinder RPG. My question for the forum which method is prefer method for stats point buy or an array? Your best bet is to list your game in the LFG forum and ask your potential players to vote on it.. give them some ownership of the game :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Vorcan and glad to hear you are gong to run your first game here. Ziechael is correct that you should make your LFG post then discuss your creation method in your campaign forum and not here. Game mechanics are usually labeled off-topic and are recommended to be discussed at other sites such as the pathfinder forums or a reddit subforum.
Hello all, i need some help i am trying to make a dice roll macro with 2 player color dice and one red color dice how can i make the thired dice a diffrrent color

Edited 1427145300
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello trent, your best bet for an answer would be posting this question on it's own in the specific question forum. Posting here you will not get to many people looking at it. Dice reflect the player's color when they roll the dice. If you want specific colors then you might want to look into a rollable table or two.
Hello, I am completely new here. How do I make a character sheet? I joined a campaign and we are supposed to play on Saturday, but I still haven't created a character and the wiki's advice seems to apply to GMs.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
iamkathybrown, you need to speak to your gamemaster. Your GM needs to create a character journal and give you control of it; at that point you can start working on your character sheet.
Okay, now that I have found you, I have no idea what to do with you. I don't want to start my own campaign (that is way too much work), but join another. I'm not new to RPG's, but it has been a while. I looked at all the "Looking for Group" listings, and don't want to post due to my "newbie to roll20" status. I have no idea how this works or how to get rolling (pun intended). I have read most of the OPs in New to Roll20, and here, and it doesn't make this any easier. I guess my issue is: Where can I go to find a group of individuals looking for a newbie to this media who is willing to put in the time and energy on a campaign, without applying to every group out there? Is there a "Group for beginners" that is run by the roll20 staff I can join? Is there a "please pick me" spot where I can post and hope someone chooses me for their game? This feels like the tumblr of role playing, or the okcupid of RPGs. I swipe left on a campaign or apply by saying something clever, and hope they choose me to fill that one slot they have? I was excited to find this site, but when I got here, I just got frustrated. Most of the answers to similar questions are: Check out our Introduction to Tabletop RPGs series ., Check out our Roll20 Crash Course , or You can also review the last New to Roll20 thread to see what other new users have been asking. I can't even figure out how to turn my text black again. Anyway, those suggestions didn't help. What now?
Dearest Zak , If you want to not be a "newbie" then i would suggest watching some games being played by other people first to get the just of how to play the game, and if that doesn't work then why not just buy a D&D board or anything of the like and just read the manual and try an adventure with your family or a close friend? If none of those suggestions really work then to be honest i would just suggest to be honest in your attempts to join a game for dungeon masters just say, "Hey i'm a newbie looking for experience with some good Tabletop board players and I was wondering if anyone would allow me to this game for the chance at some real experience with this website?" or something like that. Sincerely yours Scott E. P.S: I'm new to roll20 too but i've played 2 games not sure i remember the rules but i think i still get it :P
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ok Zak and Scott, welcome to the community. Zak there really is not anything ran by the roll20 staff that is what you would say "Group for beginners". You will need to find a game that is posted in the forums Looking for Group or in the Looking for Group Listings that cater to new players and apply to the ones that interest you.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Zak A. said: who is willing to put in the time and energy on a campaign Hi Zak, as Pat rightly pointed out there are no specific places to start when new to VTT's (Virtual Table-Tops). However, from reading your post I pulled out the above quote that should you begin to apply to join games in systems that take your fancy will go along way to getting you noticed by a potential GM/DM. Most games listed are willing to consider new players to this media and since you are 'not new to RPG's' you stand a chance of getting selected. Show that passion in wanting to participate and you'll get snapped up in no time =)
Ziechael: That response was significantly more helpful that I expected. I still don't know how to change my font back to black after it goes blue. Pat: Not as helpful, but I appreciate the response. "Go find a game" might sound easy, but that is like telling me to go to eHarmony and find a girl. Scott: Good suggestions. Honesty is something I can do. I just don't want to spam all the AD&D games with my pleas for entrance. I guess what I am saying is, if any of you 3 are starting a new game, let me know.

Edited 1427208999
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Zak A. said: Pat: Not as helpful, but I appreciate the response. "Go find a game" might sound easy, but that is like telling me to go to eHarmony and find a girl. I'm sorry that it was not that helpful but that was the best I could really suggest. I truthfully did not know how much info/suggestions you truly wanted since scott covered most of what I would have suggested. I was just pointing you to the locations. The search tool link was already setup with the welcome new players filter active and just a generic search ran. You never stated any system preference, language, time zone, or other specific material that I could work with. You stated you watched the videos so that step was eliminated. You stated you are experienced in rpgs so you are not new to that and that left just new to roll20 and it's usage. I still stand by my suggestion and heartily agree with Scott and Ziechael with their suggestions. Oh, you can go to eharmony and find a girl but getting one is different. ;P
is there a thread on how to fill out the character sheets? I can fill out the top part but I can not input any numbers into the bility score section

Edited 1427243855
Is there anyway to have a formula like this 1d20>{5+6} where 5 and 6 are pulled from the character sheet ex 1d20>{@{target|Defender|bar1}+@{target|Defender|bar1|max}}? I get the following error when I try it, Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":1},{"type":"C","text":"d20>{5+6}"}] I've also tried with parentheses and brackets
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
excior said: is there a thread on how to fill out the character sheets? I can fill out the top part but I can not input any numbers into the bility score section hello Excior, without more specific info the best I can suggest is to read the character sheet wiki and talk to your gm. Devon R. said: Is there anyway to have a formula like this 1d20>{5+6} where 5 and 6 are pulled from the character sheet ex 1d20>{@{target|Defender|bar1}+@{target|Defender|bar1|max}}? I get the following error when I try it, Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":1},{"type":"C","text":"d20>{5+6}"}] I've also tried with parentheses and brackets Devon, this is a question that should be asked in the specific question forum not in this thread.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Devon R. said: Is there anyway to have a formula like this 1d20>{5+6} where 5 and 6 are pulled from the character sheet ex 1d20>{@{target|Defender|bar1}+@{target|Defender|bar1|max}}? I get the following error when I try it, Could not determine result type of: [{"type":"M","expr":1},{"type":"C","text":"d20>{5+6}"}] I've also tried with parentheses and brackets Try this Devon. [[1d20cs>@{target|Defender|bar1}+@{target|Defender|bar1|max}]] I added the cs(critical success) roll helper for fun. Goodluck.
Hi I'm a new DM and I was wondering how I could set up an initiative on my campaign for combat? Also I have a group of players who are new to Pen and Paper RPG's, what is a good way to introduce them into the campaign without a lengthy character creation/ rules session?

Edited 1427288558
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nathan A. said: Hi I'm a new DM and I was wondering how I could set up an initiative on my campaign for combat? Also I have a group of players who are new to Pen and Paper RPG's, what is a good way to introduce them into the campaign without a lengthy character creation/ rules session? Hi Nathan, welcome to Roll20. Depending on the system you are planning to use the wiki will likely contain great advice on how to create specific macros etc. ( The wiki link is located at the top). As for introducing new players to the RPG world I would encourage them to do some reading around the various fan/rules sites that may exist for your chosen system. There are also videos littered all over the internet that they could watch to get a feel for the way in which this world works. To prevent lengthy and potentially inaccurate character creation you could have some pre-created characters for the to choose from/have randomly assigned. This would give you better control over the balance of the party too.
anyone know where i can get complete 2nd edition ad&d books
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
andrew a. said: anyone know where i can get complete 2nd edition ad&d books Go to your local used book dealer or ebay. Asking for any pirated material will be deleted and the user could find themselves banned. No Piracy Allowed We will not allow the encouragement or distribution of pirated works. This is not meant to target the showing of interfaces or fan work accomplishments -- only actions that undermine the rights and property of others.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
andrew a. said: anyone know where i can get complete 2nd edition ad&d books Hi Andrew. Try an Ebay search for Ad&d 2ed Cheers.
I am a new DM playing DND5e and one of my player is going Pali and I wanted to know if lay on hands can self heal or is it only healing others. Having some difficulty finding a answer in the players hand book Thanks
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A P. said: I am a new DM playing DND5e and one of my player is going Pali and I wanted to know if lay on hands can self heal or is it only healing others. Having some difficulty finding a answer in the players hand book Thanks Hi A P. Welcome to roll20. Answers to specific systems are best placed on fan sites or reddit forums etc as roll20 is specifically for questions about roll20 and its use... however we are also super nice and therefore here is your answer: Yes he can, the target is defined as a creature and the paladin is a creature, hence he can heal himself (unless unconscious ;) ). Hope that helps :)