Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

CombatMaster Alpha

Thank you both. And thanks Vic.
The Devilish DM said: keithcurtis said: If I recall correctly, put the comma in brackets: We the People of the United States{,} in Order to form a more perfect Union{,} establish Justice{,} insure domestic Tranquility... I believe its double brackets {{,}}. That's what I've been using and it works. maybe I'm putting too many tho. lol You know what?  I don't think that has ever been syntaxed clearly in the entire time since Robin wrote his!  lol  - I just always removed commas and replaced them with dashes ( - ) or whatever! Anyone know how to get Line Breaks in (Start new paragraphs)?
What is the difference between running standard combat master init. And groupinitiative?
Joey V. said: What is the difference between running standard combat master init. And groupinitiative? Preference, mostly. I just find Group-Init works better with the Shaped Character Sheet for my liking. But also - it's kind of like using the in-house group versus the 3rd party group for doing a task.  Most people like to keep things in-house, which means you would more often opt to have one API handle it instead of two.

Edited 1587686964
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Wolf Thunderspirit said: Anyone know how to get Line Breaks in (Start new paragraphs)? <br>
Ravenknight said: Wolf Thunderspirit said: Anyone know how to get Line Breaks in (Start new paragraphs)? <br> tried that before, it didn't work.  I wonder if {{<br>}} would though ....
Wolf Thunderspirit said: Ravenknight said: Wolf Thunderspirit said: Anyone know how to get Line Breaks in (Start new paragraphs)? <br> tried that before, it didn't work.  I wonder if {{<br>}} would though .... Odd, it works for me. ( We are talking about descriptions aren't we? :D ) This is a test for line break<br> This is a new line for the same test.
Ravenknight said: Wolf Thunderspirit said: Ravenknight said: Wolf Thunderspirit said: Anyone know how to get Line Breaks in (Start new paragraphs)? <br> tried that before, it didn't work.  I wonder if {{<br>}} would though .... Odd, it works for me. ( We are talking about descriptions aren't we? :D ) This is a test for line break<br> This is a new line for the same test. not surprisingly - something that is working for others isn't working for me :-(
:(
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Put the entire description in brackets.  You don't need to bracket every comma
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The brackets tell the parser to not parse commas and other things.   {{Put some description here, anything you want}}
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Victor B. said: Put the entire description in brackets.  You don't need to bracket every comma Sputter! But, but-- That's too easy.

Edited 1587699165
Omg that makes editing descriptions so much easier! Does the same apply to API commands? Does this {{!token-mod --api-as playidentifier --ids tokidentifier --set aura2_radius|}} work just like this? {{!token-mod {{--api-as playidentifier}} {{--ids tokidentifier}} {{--set aura2_radius|}}}} Or are brackets still necessary around {{--arguments}}
Ok, so I'm using 2.11 from Github. Works really well.  1. Is there a way to add tokens late to the CombatMaster or do I have to use Group-Init? 2. At the beginning of every round, the First token shows up twice in initiative. I thought there was a fix for that, but I can't find it.
@PinkRose, you should be able to roll initiative for a token directly through its sheet or any custom initiative macro you use, as long as that token is selected, and it will be added to the bottom of the turn order. You'll need to put it in the correct turn position by dragging its name in the turn tracker. You can also use the Sort Turn Order button in CM, but beware that it will rearrange the entire turn order (probably not what you want if you're in the middle of a round.) Not sure about your second issue. Do you mean the first token is being announced in chat twice when its turn starts?
Victor B. said: The brackets tell the parser to not parse commas and other things.   {{Put some description here, anything you want}} *facepalm*  I'm crying that will help so much. 
@Persephone, correct. You can see Ladd is added twice, at the beginning of each round. All I did was click the Done with Round checkmark each time. This is reproducable.

Edited 1587732534
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Theoretically, a token mod command could be done with two simple brackets {{}} also, but I've always played it a bit safe with the {{!token-mod {{--somecommand}} {{--someothercommand}}}}.   @Pinkrose - I haven't encountered someone being added twice.  I have seen some situations where suddenly everyone is duplicated in the turnorder.  I usually stop combat, restart and that goes away.  I haven't figured out yet why that happens.  I'm going to need a bit more info.  Are you sure that the token is in question is in the turnorder once?  And you're saying that a second entry is added to the turnorder or that his announcement is showing twice?  
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@persephone, what are your outstanding bugs. I know they've been posted but I don't want to go back and find them.   @Anyone Else, if you are experiencing bugs please post them again.  
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You have to use group-init for late combat mass entries.   PinkRose said: Ok, so I'm using 2.11 from Github. Works really well.  1. Is there a way to add tokens late to the CombatMaster or do I have to use Group-Init?
I experienced the same duplicate announcement at start of round initiative as PinkRose last night. Running 2.0.9.

Edited 1587737878
@Victor, only 2 bugs I'm still experiencing, tho I've found workarounds: If a marker has spaces in its name, CM doesn't add the condition when the marker is added via radial menu or other means. (Adding the condition thru CM still adds the marker to the token, as it should.) Workaround: Rename the markers so they have no spaces; if they are a Marketplace set, download the .zip then re-upload them as a custom set with names that don't have spaces. (Thanks @Rabulias for pointing out that option) If a condition is set up so Persistent Macro = true, the macro only runs when the condition is added and not on subsequent turns, as though the setting was set to false. Workaround: Add a message to the condition with a button to trigger that macro. (Thanks @The Devilish DM for pointing out that awesome functionality!) EDIT: One other very minor bug I just noticed: Using the Stop Combat button sends the main menu to chat twice.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The next and possibly final piece of large functionality I'm going to add to CM is updating help.  To make help more manageable and easier to use in game, I'm adding a help icon off all pages in CM, and that will bring up in chat the help related to that page. 

Edited 1587737885
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If the custom icons aren't being added via radial, then that's out of my control.  It's actually a Roll20 problem where they aren't accounting for spaces within the icon name.  I'd highly suggest that's put into bugs forum in Roll20
@Victor to clarify, the markers with spaces in names are being added to tokens fine, CM just isn't able to observe when they're added.

Edited 1587738142
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bugs so far: If a condition is set up so Persistent Macro = true, the macro only runs when the condition is added and not on subsequent turns, as though the setting was set to false.  Workaround:  Add a message to the condition with a button to trigger that macro. (Thanks @The Devilish DM for pointing out that awesome functionality!) Using the Stop Combat button sends the main menu to chat twice Duplicate player announcement If a marker has spaces in its name, CM doesn't add the condition when the marker is added via radial menu or other means. (Adding the condition thru CM still adds the marker to the token, as it should.)  Workaround:  Rename the markers so they have no spaces; if they are a Marketplace set, download the .zip then re-upload them as a custom set with names that don't have spaces. (Thanks @Rabulias for pointing out that option)
Persephone said: @Victor to clarify, the markers with spaces in names are being added to tokens fine, CM just isn't able to observe when they're added. I can not get any custom status marker to add to CM and it is available in the radial.  The stock ones are no problem the custom ones are just not there. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you loaded LibTokenMarker?
@Brian, that looks like the drop-down for the default marker selection. Make sure you have libTokenMarker installed as keith suggested, and then for each condition set Icon Type to Token Marker
keithcurtis said: Have you loaded LibTokenMarker? Persephone said: @Brian, that looks like the drop-down for the default marker selection. Make sure you have libTokenMarker installed as keith suggested, and then for each condition set Icon Type to Token Marker You guys are geniuses.   I should have read further and caught the needed libTokenMarkers.    I just installed lTM and reset the setting to Token Marker and it is picking up all the new status marker.    I just started using Roll20 a month ago, I really like the API scripts, still trying to learn all the ins and outs... If it were only PLC, or C+ I would be set  
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm working on expanding help right now.  Obviously needed

Edited 1587877518
Victor B. said: @persephone, what are your outstanding bugs. I know they've been posted but I don't want to go back and find them.   @Anyone Else, if you are experiencing bugs please post them again.   @Victor  as far as bugs, you already were working on mine.  I will say that the Night of the Wolves game is unplayable right now with CM running/ crashing on usage.  TheAaron came into the same one you were in, we ran a few debug and absolutely nothing happened to show him!  Felt stupid.  But then it happened in Sunday's game... Victor B. said: I'm working on expanding help right now.  Obviously needed Thanks for all you're doing Vic.  It's very much appreciated! 
@Victor, I'd be happy to help write up the documentation if you'd like (at least for the features I'm familiar with, as there's a few I've never used)

Edited 1587883156
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
At this point, I had the API crash so many times tonight, there was no way of knowing what might have been at fault. I doubt it was any script in particular, but that makes it very hard to track down issues.
Great Script! Thank you a lot. I have just one short question (i did not find no answer in this thread but maybe i overlooked it). Is it possible to roll initiative with 3d6+6 instead of just one die? I can't figure it out. Thank you so much!

Edited 1587909155
keithcurtis said: At this point, I had the API crash so many times tonight, there was no way of knowing what might have been at fault. I doubt it was any script in particular, but that makes it very hard to track down issues. There has been a heavy load on the servers as of the 'Rona, with tabletop groups trying to find a way to play while social distancing.  I'd be very interested in seeing the stellar jump in subscription (all tiers) numbers that coincided with that. But that is besides the point.  Did you disable the APIs one at a time?  I did that in my off-game time prior to game start to find out CM was the only thing causing problems.  As of right now I've had good results in my games with the latest version, but in the game I play in and do macro writing for, I noticed his is still bugged out - even with the latest version installed.  I asked if Vic could take a look, but that's also got to involve the owner/ DM, because I can't give Vic GM status.  It's also purely a when-he-has-time basis, because honestly, I respect that Vic's time is his own - and not for me to make demands of. My only regret is not understanding the programming language (I need a "Roll20 Program Language For Dummies" book.  Laugh - it's how I learned HTML 4.0, PHP, MySQL, CSS, Javascript, and 'some of' Perl [parsing email out of the web forms].  True Story!  Know your Audience - I'm a Dummy - LOL.).  I'd be able to look into these things myself - but I've been out of practice about 10-15 years, and feel illiterate all over again.  I also don't know if I have the mental fortitude to be patient with myself trying to figure it out starting from scratch.  Honestly, I wish I could do more than be patient and depend on others to do the work for me.  But I try to be respectful and realize Vic is a good person and will get to it when he has the time.

Edited 1587908964
Fabian said: Great Script! Thank you a lot. I have just one short question (i did not find no answer in this thread but maybe i overlooked it). Is it possible to roll initiative with 3d6+6 instead of just one die? I can't figure it out. Thank you so much! If CM can't do it, you could use Group-Init to tailor your initiative to any system you use that it can replicate, which pairs with CM if you set it up that way.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Wolf Thunderspirit said: keithcurtis said: At this point, I had the API crash so many times tonight, there was no way of knowing what might have been at fault. I doubt it was any script in particular, but that makes it very hard to track down issues. There has been a heavy load on the servers as of the 'Rona, with tabletop groups trying to find a way to play while social distancing.  I'd be very interested in seeing the stellar jump in subscription (all tiers) numbers that coincided with that. Agreed on all points. I don't think my crashes had anything to do with any particular script. Just load. I just meant that because the API was so crash-y, that if there had been a problem with any script, it would be difficult to know. Many times there was not even an error message, just silent failure. It makes it difficult to diagnose anything. 
Hiya, messing some more with CM and I've noticed that I can't run use a question as a "Start-of-Turn" - macro. ?{Any Reload?|No, |Yes, Reload Acid Breath 5-6 [[1d6]]} The above works fine when activated as a macro from the character but looks like this when activated at the start of a creature's turn: Do I miss anything?

Edited 1587918232
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Wolf, always have another browser window open and on the API sandbox screen.  That will tell you if it crashes or not.  I ran a game last night without a single crash, so it was most likely due to load.  
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@fabian, not using CM.  You'd need to use Group Init for that

Edited 1587918909
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@persephone, go for it.  I'm working on help right now.  These are samples of what I'm going to have.  The images will be in handouts and be much bigger.  If combat is stopped and help icon is clicked If combat is started If combat is held
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Victor B. said: Wolf, always have another browser window open and on the API sandbox screen.  That will tell you if it crashes or not.  I ran a game last night without a single crash, so it was most likely due to load.   Spit take. Why have I never thought of this?
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In chat help is harder to follow, with limited space for images and text.  So unfortunately I'm going to have to go back to using handouts
keithcurtis said: Victor B. said: Wolf, always have another browser window open and on the API sandbox screen.  That will tell you if it crashes or not.  I ran a game last night without a single crash, so it was most likely due to load.   Spit take. Why have I never thought of this? I've always been wary of doing this, only because I'm afraid something weird might happen to my game if I have two pages up in which I'm logged into Roll20. But man, this would help me a lot. Could monitor the API sandbox from one page while running my game in the other one, and restart the API without having to log out of and back into Roll20.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The only issue to beware of is to be logged into two different games at the same time. Roll20 will think you are in the last-opened game and this can lead to data loss. But having the API window open in a different window or tab should be safe as houses.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's totally safe.  I do it all the time.  
Awesome, will totally start doing that from now on!
@Victor, awesome! Would you mind giving me a list of what features you already have documentation for? You can PM it to me, and I'll share what I finish that way (don't wanna so it here in case I get some details wrong and someone mistakes it for finished documentation)

Edited 1587927600
keithcurtis said: At this point, I had the API crash so many times tonight, there was no way of knowing what might have been at fault. I doubt it was any script in particular, but that makes it very hard to track down issues. There has been a heavy load on the servers as of the 'Rona, with tabletop groups trying to find a way to play while social distancing.  I'd be very interested in seeing the stellar jump in subscription (all tiers) numbers that coincided with that. Agreed on all points. I don't think my crashes had anything to do with any particular script. Just load. I just meant that because the API was so crash-y, that if there had been a problem with any script, it would be difficult to know. Many times there was not even an error message, just silent failure. It makes it difficult to diagnose anything.  I'm really glad it wasn't just me. I was having tons of crashes with Power Card related macros and I was very confused by Power Cards lagging the api all the sudden. Victor B. said: Wolf, always have another browser window open and on the API sandbox screen.  That will tell you if it crashes or not.  I ran a game last night without a single crash, so it was most likely due to load.   Spit take. Why have I never thought of this? I have three screens and I always have my game screen in the center, api sandbox to the right, Roll20 wiki pages on the left. Totally safe to do and SUPER helpful.