Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

CombatMaster Alpha

Victor B. said: Wolf, always have another browser window open and on the API sandbox screen.  That will tell you if it crashes or not.  I ran a game last night without a single crash, so it was most likely due to load.   Dual Monitors, always do
keithcurtis said: The only issue to beware of is to be logged into two different games at the same time. Roll20 will think you are in the last-opened game and this can lead to data loss. But having the API window open in a different window or tab should be safe as houses. I personally wish Roll 20 would have another Tab that you could just monitor your API Sandbox from and be able to restart it if it crashed.  Crashes happen ALOT.  From Infinite Loops to API compatibility to just simple code errors ... I do the second browser thing, but having more browsers open expends resources on a machine.  If you have a top end gaming rig - no issues.  If you have a pawn shop office PC like I do ... yeah ...
Can I just get an update on what version of CM is current? I'm not talking about the one-click, I'm talking about the github version. Are we at 2.10? The github version says 2.09 but I thought Victor had posted 2.10 a week or two ago.
@Jay the version I have installed says 2.11 in the script itself
@Persephone, thanks. I have a 2.11 myself locally but I seem to be running 2.09 in Roll20, though not from the one-click. I guess I'll update in a few days (have a combat in progress right now and I don't want to mess anything up!).
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 repo hasn't been updated yet.  I'm awaiting more feedback for the hold combat functionality which was a very large change before committing it to Roll20
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@persephone, the only help I've done so far is the 3 screen shots I posted earlier.  To the main menu is taking care of.  I'll need screen shots of your final product.  And thanks very much for doing this.  

Edited 1588013587
Of course! If it's alright with you, I'm planning to only do the text, and leave any graphics up to you so that it all remains consistent.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get CM to come up.  I have tried !cm, !cmaster, !cm - main and !cm -- main.  Nothing.  Using the current version on roll20.  Please help.
!cmaster --main

Edited 1588024458
@Jerry, use !cmaster --main I recommend using the latest version (link on previous page of this thread)
Btw @Victor, Hold Combat is working fantastically so far. It even preserves active conditions! Wasn't expecting that, but super excited to have that as a feature. Only issue I've noticed there is that if combat resumes and the current token has a condition with a duration, the duration is reduced by one as though their turn just started. So if a condition had 5 rounds left, and combat is held during that turn, resuming combat knocks the duration down to 4 rounds left. Not sure if there's much that can be done to prevent that, but I think it's a minor issue.
Greetings all...Loving CombatMaster so far...I have a question for those more intelligent than I..I usually roll INI through Combatmaster, however, one of my characters gets to roll INI with advantage.  Is there a way to configure Combatmaster to account for this?  Thanks for your time.

Edited 1588085982
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Shane it's built into CM initiative.  Just make sure the player sets advantage before rolling initiative.  
Thanks Victor...I think i found it before you answered..I made sure she has her initiative style set to advantage in the attribute options of her character sheet.  This appears to be correct.  Also I am using the API through the API script library drop down menu.  Is this version updated?  I have it checked to latest, but it still says 1.8 alpha in game
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The one click is out date but will be updated next week
Victor B. said: Shane it's built into CM initiative.  Just make sure the player sets advantage before rolling initiative.   Does that mean that if the sheet default is set to "Always roll advantage," every player with this option on will have advantage on initiative? If so, I've been giving my party advantage on initiative rolls this whole time! :D
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@persephone, can you please provide a sample persistent macro you are running so I can figure out this issue with it.  The code looks fine, but something isn't working.  

Edited 1588088036
Werner D.
API Scripter
I made sure she has her initiative style set to advantage in the attribute options of her character sheet. Is this with Shaped or with the 5E OGL sheet? Just make sure the player sets advantage before rolling initiative.  So if I tell the player they just need to toggle Advantage on the OGL sheet, this will make the initiative be rolled at advantage? Just want to double check, as I enabled the "Show Initiative in Chat" and it only shows one roll. Would that be the higher of the 2 that it shows?
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
OGL.  I'm not certain if it's rolling advantage if you always roll advantage.  The code is looking for iinitiative_style attribute and this formula {@{d20},@{d20}}kh1
Ahhhh, found it. Thanks Victor! Really love this script.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's not rolling initiative with advantage when set to "Always Roll Advantage". Technically that setting is better described as "Always Roll and Show Two D20s In Roll Templates In Case I Want To Use Advantage or Disadvantage". Your initiative roll is being rolled normally.

Edited 1588108130
@Victor, here are two examples of macros I was using as persistent macros before (the first is used in a game with the Pathfinder Second Edition by Roll20 sheet, the second is used in a game with the Pathfinder by Roll20 sheet): /w gm &{template:rolls} {{charactername= Frightened }} {{header= Effect }} {{desc= [Set Value](`#frightened-value) }} /w gm &{template:npc} {{name=Confused Effect}} {{type=feat}} {{descflag=1}} {{desc=[[1t[confused-effect]]]}} I've started using messages for most buttons now, but the rollable tables and certain buttons like the one above need to be whispered, so I've just been activating it manually when it comes up.

Edited 1588109982
Jay R. said: Victor B. said: Shane it's built into CM initiative.  Just make sure the player sets advantage before rolling initiative.   Does that mean that if the sheet default is set to "Always roll advantage," every player with this option on will have advantage on initiative? If so, I've been giving my party advantage on initiative rolls this whole time! :D Oh J ... **facepalm** ... and yes, a sheet default will apply to everyone. Important to note though, it applies to every character sheet you made AFTER you set that to default.  It is not a retroactive setting. But what Keith said is true too.  Now, if you were rolling the Shaped sheet ... I guess it matters where you mean, also.  If you are talking about the far right column, you're fine.  But if you're talking the center column, then you're not, iirc.  I think there is a "Initiative style" that lets you choose normal or advantage in the center column on the sheet setting page.  I don't know if this is reflected in default setups on the campaign game settings page though, as a matter of default settings for every new character sheet generated.
Wolf Thunderspirit said: Jay R. said: Victor B. said: Shane it's built into CM initiative.  Just make sure the player sets advantage before rolling initiative.   Does that mean that if the sheet default is set to "Always roll advantage," every player with this option on will have advantage on initiative? If so, I've been giving my party advantage on initiative rolls this whole time! :D Oh J ... **facepalm** ... and yes, a sheet default will apply to everyone. Important to note though, it applies to every character sheet you made AFTER you set that to default.  It is not a retroactive setting. But what Keith said is true too.  Now, if you were rolling the Shaped sheet ... I guess it matters where you mean, also.  If you are talking about the far right column, you're fine.  But if you're talking the center column, then you're not, iirc.  I think there is a "Initiative style" that lets you choose normal or advantage in the center column on the sheet setting page.  I don't know if this is reflected in default setups on the campaign game settings page though, as a matter of default settings for every new character sheet generated. I have succeeded despite idiocy! I didn't have the center column (Initiative style) checked, just the "Always Roll with Advantage" option from the far-right column. This has been instructive, since I didn't even know that center column option existed and one of my characters has just obtained an item that grants her character advantage on initiative rolls. Ain't it funny how things work out...;)
Does this work with Pathfinder at all?  Sorry new to this.
@Colin, you can use it for either edition of Pathfinder, but the default settings are for DnD 5e. The conditions will need to be changed to match the system you're playing, as will the initiative settings. Unfortunately, if you're playing PF2e, neither CombatMaster nor GroupInitiative really have a way to support that system's contextual initiative, but that just means you'll need to roll initiative manually before starting combat.
Hi, Quick question, is there a way to use Custom Tokens from your Token Library with this? Thanks! /K

Edited 1588171315
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes it works for pathfinder.  Yes you can use custom tokens.  You need to run libTokenMarker API.  CM calls libTokenMarker for custom marker support.  For initiative, you could look at group-init API.  That's a more robust initiative roller than what's in CM.  CM calls group init if you configure it.  
Dumbhuman
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Victor B. said: In chat help is harder to follow, with limited space for images and text.  So unfortunately I'm going to have to go back to using handouts My main complaints about the handout version of help you had been using before was partly the number of handouts involved and even more so that they couldn't be reorganized by the user (always populating at the root journal level no matter if the player had moved them to subfolders elsewhere).  The Aaron just made TokenMod's help into a single entry handout which will respect reorganizing by the user so long as it isn't renamed.  It would be fantastic if Combat Master could work in the same way.
KC . said: Victor B. said: In chat help is harder to follow, with limited space for images and text.  So unfortunately I'm going to have to go back to using handouts My main complaints about the handout version of help you had been using before was partly the number of handouts involved and even more so that they couldn't be reorganized by the user (always populating at the root journal level no matter if the player had moved them to subfolders elsewhere).  The Aaron just made TokenMod's help into a single entry handout which will respect reorganizing by the user so long as it isn't renamed.  It would be fantastic if Combat Master could work in the same way. Gonna need a !cmaster wiki page soon. lol
I've having an issue the the Adding condition and removing condition API options not working. I'm on CombatMaster 2.11. I want to, on adding the Blinded Condition, have tokenmod toggle/untoggle the has sight property. I have put the following in the API field: {{!token-mod {{--flip light_hassight}}}}, The blinded icon pops up when I add the condition, but has sight remains unchanged. I also created a macro doing the same, added it to the macro field and still no dice. Any suggestions?

Edited 1588193824
@Victor, @KC, since the handouts will all be linked from each menu in the chat, maybe the script could populate the handouts into the Archive?
@Lance, this post has an example of how to set up TokenMod commands
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's a great idea.  I can set them to archive.  That's perfect actually
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
A feature that the original CT had that I can't seem to find in the config: Show Conditions is the only way to remove conditions on a token, and it did it GM-only. When I want to remove conditions from a character, I must use the Show Conditions button (which calls !cmaster --show,assigned) which brings up the list of conditions on that token.  In the original CT, the output of this was always GM-only, and (iirc) didn't say "Next Player Up" as the title, as well as outputting an additional chat message with the list of conditions (minus the removed condition) once you have removed one. In CM, this outputs to players as well, including the "Next Player Up" title from , meaning I need to continuously explain to players "no your turn isn't now, it just says that for the moment while I remove that condition." Curiously, using Show Conditions doesn't output the next turn/delay buttons.

Edited 1588215492
@Mik, you can remove a condition from the main menu (which is whispered to the GM) by selecting the token with the condition you want to remove, then clicking the remove button (trash icon) next to that condition. Although having the !cmaster --show,assigned command whisper to whoever calls that command would be really useful, that way a player could use it to double check what conditions they have without cluttering chat for everyone else. @Victor, what do you think of this idea? Would that be a simple adjustment, or would it require too much rework?
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There's a show conditions icon in the green menu bar.  It shows all conditions for all tokens I believe to the GM only.  
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No, I'm not going to add more right now.  I get the idea but the api is getting too large as is
That button only runs !cmaster --show,assigned for the selected token, just so you know. I guess that's a bug?
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Persephone, I assumed that button deleted the condition from the whole list, but that makes a lot more sense. Victor; my original post was that the show conditions icon in the green menu bar does not show to the GM only. That feature was in the original CT, but it must have gotten lost when certain things got combined in CM. At the very least, having it say "Next Player Up" is pretty unintuitive for this instance.  I believe I got the functionality I needed by altering line 2121 target = (state[combatState].config.announcements.whisperToGM) ? 'gm' : '' to read target = ((state[combatState].config.announcements.whisperToGM) || (show)) ? 'gm' : '' I tested this with "Announce>Whisper GM" both true and false, and it seems to work fine. It still says "Next Player Up", but that's fine if it's GM only. 
Victor B. said: Yes it works for pathfinder.  Yes you can use custom tokens.  You need to run libTokenMarker API.  CM calls libTokenMarker for custom marker support.  For initiative, you could look at group-init API.  That's a more robust initiative roller than what's in CM.  CM calls group init if you configure it.   Thanks for the quick reply! I just started my way digging through the script. Thanks for the work you've put in; this is speeding things up by a ton! A follow-up question that came to mind would be if it possible to implement the numbering of token markers? Especially in Pathfinder 2E a bunch of conditions come with values attached to them (e.g. "Clumsy 1, Enfeebled 2, Dying 3" and so on) /K
You can do this by setting the duration to the value you want, and setting direction to 0, but that means you can't have it automatically count down rounds while having a condition value. An alternative could be using the Message function to show the condition value (would only show in chat, not on the token) Comes down to preference
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I incorporated the change mike.  
just here to say how cool this is! been learning a lot about scripts and how to GM on roll20. Currently running 4 games. I'm one of those people who joined cause of Covid and didn't really know how to anything back in March! anyway thanks for this! 
Thanks, @Persephone. Looks like I need to learn about substitutions. Another question, is there a way to apply numbers to token markers through combat master? For example, in 5e Dnd I want to track levels of exhaustion on the marker I specified for exhaustion. Usually you can hover over a token marker and type the number in. With Combat Master managing the token markers, I set the number and CM resets the token to it's unnumbered state.

Edited 1588341607
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Duration.  Set the condition to override so roll queries pop up, set duration to 5 and direction of 0 for exhaustion since the 5 won't reduce until there's a rest.  You'll see the 5 show up over the marker
Awesome! Works like a charm. Thanks! Victor B. said: Duration.  Set the condition to override so roll queries pop up, set duration to 5 and direction of 0 for exhaustion since the 5 won't reduce until there's a rest.  You'll see the 5 show up over the marker

Edited 1588466880
Hello, trouble with combat master.  I have Combat Master v2.0 and libTokenMarkers. When I'm in Status Setup > Conditions I go into a condition, change Icon Type to Token Marker to use icons I made / edited and uploaded. Vast majority of them work flawlessly. One condition wont show description when applied to the token. Trouble shooting steps attempted; -Thinking it was that condition, I deleted it entirely and added a new condition and left everything default just changed the Icon Type, the Icon and put in the description. Still no show.  -made sure there were no comas  -refresh roll20, log and relog restart sandbox.  -toggle other things like favourites, override etc -changed art. found out any picture I had that was labelled with more than a single word didn't work -deleted all status art, re-uploaded and labelled single words.  -some of the previous art that was already one worded now wont work at all as in CM wont accept it as the icon -original issue with condition and icon art now works, but others do not.  one hour after post, discovered when clicking the settings of many conditions, it repeatedly crashes API. Still only taking certain art, no longer a pattern related to naming. All files are PNG and I have successfully used files smaller and larger than the problem art. 
Shane B. said: Greetings all...Loving CombatMaster so far...I have a question for those more intelligent than I..I usually roll INI through Combatmaster, however, one of my characters gets to roll INI with advantage.  Is there a way to configure Combatmaster to account for this?  Thanks for your time. I know you found your answers, but I wanted to share a macro I use. In some cases a player will get adv on init all the time, in which case changing the sheet works fine, but if it is situational, changing the sheet back and forth is a pain. So I include this macro as a token action for those who need it to use as needed.  &{template:simple} {{rname=INITIATIVE}} {{mod=@{selected|initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[{1d20, 1d20}kh1+@{selected|initiative_bonus} &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} {{r2=}} {{charname=@{selected|token_name}}}